• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Ghostbusters' maker: Once upon a time, I loved the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nepenthe

If you're about to type a post to the effect of "Your movie was shit, therefore you deserved to be harrassed", don't. Just don't. Go outside. Listen to birds chirp. Eat a cannoli. Swing on a swing-set. Watch a Cavs game with some people you've never met before. Listen to this Lil' Uzi all the kids these days talk about. Sit on some grass. Watch clouds.

Literally just do anything but that, you goddamn prick.

You don't understand.

I have a biological need to let people know that I- the special snowflake individual on the Internet that I am- did not dislike the movie because of that sexism nonsense, but because it simply was a bad film.

All this is about, and nothing more, is that the art of film was violated in the most egregious of ways, and it is by necessity that I let everyone around me know that, especially when the issue of the sexism nonsense comes up.

NEO0MJ

It was a decent movie. Probably wouldn't recommend it, but still, decent.
but man the blow-up surrounding it was insane. And it was pretty disgusting how the cast was attacked.

Cheerilee

I think it's more that maybe Sony's marketing division shouldn't have jumped into the comments section of a very-negatively received trailer and deleted generally-negative comments, creating a picture of a generally-positive comments section peppered with horrible sexism and racism (which were allowed to stay), turning the new Ghostbusters movie into an us-vs-them battle between feminists and misogynists.

Considering the timing, I wouldn't be surprised if the new Ghostbusters movie and it's message of "If you dislike this trailer you must be a misogynist" contributed to the election of Donald Trump as much as Hillary's "basket of deplorables" comment did.

nkarafo

That's ridiculous, and just a way to try to reframe the shame
What i'm trying to say is that some people may not liked the idea because they preferred to see the same characters (not actors, that wouldn't be possible anyway). I'm not saying that everyone thought like this and there was a shameful respond for sure, i just responded to the notion that everyone who didn't like the idea had to be a shameful or sexist person. That's all.

Edit: I'm not trying to make this about me, so apologies if it comes off like that.

I think it's more that maybe Sony's marketing division shouldn't have jumped into the comments section of a very-negatively received trailer and deleted generally-negative comments, creating a picture of a generally-positive comments section peppered with horrible sexism and racism (which were allowed to stay), turning the new Ghostbusters movie into an us-vs-them battle between feminists and misogynists.

Considering the timing, I wouldn't be surprised if the new Ghostbusters movie and it's message of "If you dislike this trailer you must be a misogynist" contributed to the election of Donald Trump as much as Hillary's "basket of deplorables" comment did.

Is this actually a serious post...

Jigorath

Banned

What.

It was a decent movie. Probably wouldn't recommend it, but still, decent.
but man the blow-up surrounding it was insane. And it was pretty disgusting how the cast was attacked.

I'd like to see a bigger push for women actually directing these movies. We're like 15 films into the MCU and every one is directed by a man. They let Joe Johnston direct one ffs. Same thing with Star Wars.

SpaceWolf

Banned

Come on, dude...

Please tell me this is a joke

Bronx-Man

Banned

image.php

zeshakag

Pixels is a piece of shit. It escaped with eye rolling and shit reviews.

If a movie comes along that is bad as Pixels, and it stars women, it receives disproportionately more backlash.

Ghostbusters at the very least should have the right to receive just the same amount of backlash as Pixels.

Nepenthe

Considering all of the flimsy excuses with which Trump voters swung the way they did, it wouldn't surprise me if a few got triggered by Ghostbusters. We're in the Childish Backlash Era of American history now.

Epcott

I suppose Paul Feig can sit on the bench with Rupert Sanders in blaming the internet for poor film performance... instead of their mediocre films.

Ketkat

Pixels is a piece of shit. It escaped with eye rolling and shit reviews.

If a movie comes along that is bad as Pixels, and it stars women, it receives disproportionately more backlash.

Ghostbusters at the very least should have the right to receive just the same amount of backlash as Pixels.

Are you guys just assuming everyone hated the new Ghostbusters outside of the loud assholes harassing people? It got pretty decent reviews, nowhere near as bad as Pixels reviews.

Nepenthe

I suppose Paul Feig can sit on the bench with Rupert Sanders in blaming the internet for poor film performance... instead of their mediocre films.

That's not what he's doing.

But thank you for being yet another person in a long line of people to ignore the bigotry.

I don't think that's what he's doing. He's blaming his newfound distaste for the Internet, and interacting with people on it, on the misogynistic backlash his movie got pre-trailer.

AoM

I'd like to see a bigger push for women actually directing these movies. We're like 15 films into the MCU and every one is directed by a man. They let Joe Johnston direct one ffs. Same thing with Star Wars.

Not sure what you're implying. He was a great choice for that period piece.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Threads like this remind me how far we still have to go battling misogyny.

That's not including the fact that it seems half the posters did not bother to read the original article before posting.

He's not talking about the the performance of the film at all.

He's talking about his (incorrect, he feels) decision to engage blatantly misogynistic trolls online in the pre-release phase of his movie.

It's an article about how Paul Feig is saying Paul Feig shouldn't have engaged with sexists/misogynists online while he was making the movie.

zeshakag

Are you guys just assuming everyone hated the new Ghostbusters outside of the loud assholes harassing people? It got pretty decent reviews, nowhere near as bad as Pixels reviews.

No, I'm saying Ghostbusters was as bad as Pixels. I don't like either of those movies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I like that people in the thread quickly jumped to whether or not they thought the movie was good, despite that almost nothing to do with the topic itself.

KingV

I saw it in the theater opening weekend because I wanted to support it. It was a bad movie.

(I haven't seen the extended version yet, maybe that fixes it somewhat I don't know.)

It's better, but still not great.

The movie needed a great editor and frankly I think it could have been pretty good. There are a handful and change of scenes that really ruin the movie by being far too long and too stupid.

Nepenthe

I bet your Paul Feig aren't you?

No, just a person who doesn't think every time Paul Feig speaks about the bigotry he and his cast faced before a single frame was publicly shown, it's actually a false flag to distract from the film's quality, which is obviously the most important thing out of the whole debacle.

Betty

Banned
It was a decent movie. Probably wouldn't recommend it, but still, decent..

fIEYb.gif

Every character except for Leslie's was unbearable, which was shocking because based on the trailers I thought she'd be the worst.

It was one of the worst films i've ever seen with a completely out of place finale that turned the Ghostbusters into action stars.

Maybe if it remembered it was a comedy we might've got a scene like this instead.

564944a423c2c6904aaacd1871917d14.jpg

I feel like everything involving this movie has just been bad. The reactions from man-babies crying about an all female cast, awful trailers, bad movie, awful Ghostbusters song, those who labeled men who legitimately hated the film as being sexist (this one actually caused me and one of my best friends to get into a huge argument), said man-babies attacking Feig and the cast by being vile assholes, and the fact that the movie bombed which likely killed any chance of this GB cast getting another shot at any sequels.

To me, just about everything involving this movie has been disappointing. But it was refreshing to see female Ghostbuster cosplayers walking around proudly. I wouldn't​ blame Feig and the cast for distancing themselves from social media after that fiasco.

Cheerilee

Is this actually a serious post...

Misogyny and racism was always an element of the new Ghostbusters hate, but there seems to be a pretty strong theory that Sony's marketing department tried to turn that to their advantage and it backfired, big time (the new Ghostbusters movie received it's intended support, but it also became the rallying cry for a group of hateful monsters). Some people like James Rolfe were caught in the crossfire, accused of misogyny when they had their own reasons for disliking the trailer.

I thought "basket of deplorables" was a perfectly appropriate comment, considering that Trump had the endorsement of the fucking KKK, and yet I've seen a bunch of analysis on how she shouldn't have said those words (no matter how true they were), because non-deplorable Trump supporters (it's economic anxiety!) felt that they were being tarred with the same brush, and it riled them to fight against a PC culture that they felt had accused them a few times too often.

The new Ghostbusters movie may have been the big PC culture moment that immediately preceeded the basket of deplorables comment, which preceeded the unfortunate election of that orange bastard.

I like how its been almost a year and this film still gets people's blood boiling.

Save the hatred for films that deserve it, people...

Nepenthe

I like that people in the thread quickly jumped to whether or not they thought the movie was good, despite that almost nothing to do with the topic itself.

That kneejerk defensiveness is ironically the biggest tell in the world that people have a problem with others addressing the real issue of bigotry within nerd culture and want to desperately downplay it.

zeemumu

These threads always go the same way. No different here.

Anyway, I feel sympathy for Feig and dread the reaction to the Ocean's Eleven female reboot.

I feel like the Ocean's series isn't something you'd need to reboot to be able to make a movie about it. Couldn't you just place it in the same universe?

Kart94

Banned
Everything leading up to the release of the movie was terrible,..including the movie itself.

But yeah the internet had it's crazy pills that summer.

MisterHero

The misogyny came before the film's release, but thanks for trying to justify it I guess.

A reminder that the teaser trailer which showed exactly 0 plot/story/characters... was mass downvoted far beyond usual number (it is rare that any movie trailer gets downvoted more than upvoted let alone the level GB 2016 did)

Kart94

Banned
I had this successfully blocked from my memory for almost a year.

LOl wow, i forgot this exists.

Wasn't that basically saying *DURR HURR, dislikes and comments are minority* i mean the only point that was somewhat reasonable that might be that in this climate, reviewers could have given the movie a bit slack they otherwise wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom