• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Presents Live Steam - Mobius Final Fantasy (iOS/Android) [Over]

Loving how Squaresoft are so open about development of their games now. it's almost Indie, the amount of stuff they're doing, lol!

Hoping that Mevius is a premium priced game without microtransactions.. *prays*

Kasper

I'm confused. Why does it say Mobius and not Mevius? Name change or different name for different regions? Or is it an entirely different game?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Loving how Squaresoft are so open about development of their games now. it's almost Indie, the amount of stuff they're doing, lol!

Hoping that Mevius is a premium priced game without microtransactions.. *prays*
Yeah, it's called marketing... But I'm not complaining either, all parties benefits from it most of the time.

duckroll

Yes, they changed the English reading of the title to Mobius Final Fantasy, which is what it's supposed to mean in the first place. Mevius is closer to the Japanese reading but it's not how it's written in English. :p

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Did they change the MC outfit, covering more skin?

Golnei

Yes, they changed the English reading of the title to Mobius Final Fantasy, which is what it's supposed to mean in the first place. Mevius is closer to the Japanese reading but it's not how it's written in English. :p

I'd love it if they contracted it to just Mobius Fantasy; it's a shorter and more memorable title that bypasses the stigma of being a mobile FF spinoff. It'd sacrifice some brand recognition, but might pay off in the long-term, as with Bravely Default.

Kasper

Looking really good so far. Hopefully the story/world lives up to the nice design and seemingly good battle system.

Schlomo

Surely it's Moebius/Möbius then?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Okay so they did cover him up more.

Clothing is customisable.

There's still this look.

sVrLNda.jpg

It's like LR.

EDIT:
And a wild Adamantoise from XIII appears! lol.

Mpl90

I've missed the past 23 minutes due to lunch. What did they show in that part, aside from the battle?

_Ryo_

Game really looks great and I would definitely play it if it were not for the following detriments.

1. Portrait mode only.
2. F2P/Always Online.

Mihos

Gold Member
Portrait mode only? I hate that crap.... let me use my shield or at least an attachment joystick if your only going to put it on phone.

Mpl90

Wow they couldn't even announce a launch date. Smh.

Not even that? The heck! The sooner it comes out in Japan, the sooner it comes over here. Hopefully, the streaming will be available to re-watch on YT soon: I need to see the combat system and other things, since "F2P" scares me a bit considering the scope of the game.

duckroll

Not even that? The heck! The sooner it comes out in Japan, the sooner it comes over here. Hopefully, the streaming will be available to re-watch on YT soon: I need to see the combat system and other things, since "F2P" scares me a bit considering the scope of the game.

I don't think F2P should really "scare" anyone. The progression looks pretty standard based on what they showed today. There's a globe map where you can tap on the location of the latest story chapter you're in to zoom into the world map, or you can tap on other locations on the globe which are open for either special event quests or whatever. In the story campaign, the world map shows a bunch of locations you can "progress" to like most mobile games. You'll have battles along the way, explore some dungeons when you get to them, fight sequences of battles or a boss, etc. The emphasis of the gameplay is definitely going to be on the battles because you don't really want to design something for mobile which can't be played in short bursts.

Mpl90

I don't think F2P should really "scare" anyone. The progression looks pretty standard based on what they showed today. There's a globe map where you can tap on the location of the latest story chapter you're in to zoom into the world map, or you can tap on other locations on the globe which are open for either special event quests or whatever. In the story campaign, the world map shows a bunch of locations you can "progress" to like most mobile games. You'll have battles along the way, explore some dungeons when you get to them, fight sequences of battles or a boss, etc. The emphasis of the gameplay is definitely going to be on the battles because you don't really want to design something for mobile which can't be played in short bursts.

Got it. I'll watch what I missed of the presentation in a few minutes, so I'll see with my eyes.

Also, it's not that I'm scared of F2P per-se. Chain Chronicles is a game I really enjoy, and it's F2P, for example. I enjoy Pokémon Shuffle too, even if that shows some questionable design choices, aimed at trying to make the user spend some real cash (like specific difficulty peaks and the stamina bar/hearts), but still not that bad. My fear is in the context of Mevius (or Mobius) Final Fantasy, which looks like an high budget game for mobile, thus I have some fears about how the F2P model will be implemented. Still, I'm interested in the game and I'll surely download it whenever it comes out here in the West, since it's free to start, after all (you could say that they got me whatever happens, ah!).

EDIT: Koozek posted a link with the replay of the event, for those who missed it. Here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2jI3y1gTP0&feature=youtu.be&t=7m14s

Koozek

Record Keeper seems to handle the F2P stuff really well, so I have high hopes for this.

SE's own Heavenstrike is way better than that. I haven't played as far as to see how much IAPs are needed at some point eventually, to be fair, though. I'm really surprised how many on GAF enjoy Record Keeper, which to me immediately looked like a badly-made nostalgia cashgrab, especially after seeing that F2P can actually be fine if done right (see Terra Battle or Heavenstrike).

That said, I still really would have loved to just pay 15-20€ upfront for Mobius and have a nice, meaty snack for playing on my tablet in bed without any signs of F2P mechanics.

Record Keeper seems to handle the F2P stuff really well, so I have high hopes for this.

Yup and whats cool about this is the increase in quality of the production over stuff like Record Keeper (love the game but its a total mish mash visually)

It will be interesing to finally see more mobile games built for the hardware ate console quality assuming this even meets that mark

I also wouldnt mind seeing more games that support controllers :p

Koozek

Yup and whats cool about this is the increase in quality of the production over stuff like Record Keeper (love the game but its a total mish mash visually)

It will be interesing to finally see more mobile games built for the hardware ate console quality assuming this even meets that mark

I also wouldnt mind seeing more games that support controllers :p

Record Keeper really is a mess UI- and art style-wise.

You know, if mobile is the only way for SE dev teams to get budgets for more smaller, mid-budget games, I'm all for it. Now if only they were premium-priced without F2P mechanics, had controller-support and were all made with Unity (like Mobius is) so that they can port them to consoles/handhelds more easily - that would be a win/win for everybody.

EDIT: Btw: now that we know that Toriyama isn't the director of this, I really wonder what he's working on, right now. PLEASE let it be FFX-0/3 or something, just not FFXVI :/

I missed the stream so I just went through some bits quickly.

The battle system seems alright, but I want to see a harder battle to see how it goes first (I kinda doubt this will have any hard battles at all, but eh).

I like the designs. If the character can change armors I have no idea why they'd need to cover him up though.

And I hoped for some dungeon gameplay (unless I missed it).

Berordn

No more butt armor!? Pre-order cancelled.

Looks okay, I'll probably give it a shot. Though being free there's no reason not to at least try it, I guess.

extralite

I made a summary of the presentation. Same as my Famitsu interview summary, it's getting less and less detailed towards the end. You can probably guess why.

tumblr_inline_nmeeo7yqLg1s64r10_540.jpg

Asuna, MC. She handles customer support for Mobius FF.
Yoshinori Kitase, producer.

Kitase asks if Asuna is a pseudonym. She says it's her real name. She wanted to use a pseudonym but it was rejected.

Kitase says they're going to present Mobius FF, a new iOs/Android smartphone game scheduled for spring. They originally presented it in December in a Famitsu interview with him and Sakaguchi. The screenshots in Famitsu showed the high quality they're going for with this game but today they can show users how it will look in motion as well. They're looking forward to feedback, or rather opinions from fans.

tumblr_inline_nmeep2tTO61s64r10_540.jpg

Asuna mentions that they're listening to BGM from the game. It is the battle theme called Warrior of Light by Mitsuto Suzuki. It is a gentle tune and she wants to be the presentation to be friendly as well.

Asuna introduces the other two staff members who will explain the game to users today. She asks them to explain their role in the project, their favorite installment in the series and their reasons for picking them.

tumblr_inline_nmeeqyqHU61s64r10_540.jpg

Naoki Hamaguchi, project leader. He handles the development schedule, monitors progress and stability of the app.

tumblr_inline_nmees48Uui1s64r10_540.jpg

Hiroki Okyama, product management producer. He handles the online side of the game, including features, release volume and services.

They don't actually answer the question for their fav numbered installments.

tumblr_inline_nmeesvRawh1s64r10_540.jpg

Then they announce the changed title. The Mobius in the title refers to the symbol in the game's logo designed by Yoshitaka Amano and it is central to the game setting which is why they put it in the game title. Mobius refers to a German name or rather person, Kitase explains, and German has those dots on the o as well (Asuna helps Kitase as he's looking for the word for it, umlaut) and they now use the spelling closest to it without actually including the dots. It will be the new official title from now on.

Of course the Japanese spelling won't change and Kitase advices not to look at the latin spelling too much or it's easy to mispronounce. He also adds, since Mobius is the new mobile FF the mob part can be seen to refer to mobile and it's best to remember it as the Mobile Mebius. Asuna announces that with the spelling now fixed they also put up a twitter for the game.

tumblr_inline_nmeeucYmB61s64r10_540.jpg

Since there are viewers that might not know yet what Mobius FF is, Asuna asks Kitase to explain what the game is about. Kitase says it's a smartphone game with the quality of an HD title. They wanted to make a FF for mobile with the same kind of beautiful graphics, complex setting and satisfying systems of previous FF titles on consoles. As such, it is really a new installment in the series.

Asuna says there were complaints about them not speaking loudly enough and asks everyone to speak up a bit. Kitase asks, me or Asuna? She doesn't know, everyone should speak up.

tumblr_inline_nmeev8q8sC1s64r10_540.jpg

Next, Asuna asks Hamaguchi just how high the quality of the graphics is they can provide on mobile. He replies that they're aiming for the same quality users came to expect from the console games and they will show it motion today.

tumblr_inline_nmeew2aQtp1s64r10_540.jpg

Asuna then asks why the decision was made to make an FF for smartphones with that quality. Kitase explains that on consoles there is a high competition with games from overseas and they're constantly besting each other with new releases. On the other hand smartphone games are comparatively more casual and mostly use 2D graphics even though the hardware is perfectly capable of producing 3D graphics, on the same level as console games and the replacement cycles of devices are shorter as well. Kitase thinks that games with high quality graphics will emerge from the smart device market very soon and they want to be among the first to publish such games, using the potential available on smartphones to the fullest. So they decided to release the newest Final Fantasy on smartphones.

tumblr_inline_nmeext6KKX1s64r10_540.jpg

The development of Mobius is handled in house. Asuna asks just how their dev team works. Kitase says it's the same team that handled the previuous console FF and they use the same system, including production and quality check, as before.

tumblr_inline_nmeeyu3Acc1s64r10_540.jpg

The game was announced to be free2play last week. Asuna asks Okayama (who as Kitase points out is a newcomer to the team) to explain about that. He says that they want both players who enjoyed FF on consoles in the past and current players of smartphone games to enjoy the game and for that they felt free2play was best suited. It is also employed by most of their competitors and allows basically anyone with a smartphone to try out the new innovative and satisfying battle systems and see the beautiful graphics. He feels that with today's presentation they can show those innovative parts.

Asuna says Okayama sounds like a philosophy teacher. Kitase adds, like a math teacher. Okayama apologizes for being nervous. Asuna says he should relax.

tumblr_inline_nmeezvXiOD1s64r10_540.jpg

Then they speak on the world and characters of the game. As they show artwork in the background Kitase says most smartphone games probably don't go to such lengths but they asked their art department to draw these concept artworks after which they built the world. The world Paramitia is the setting of the story. It's the land from which hope originates. They are some pretty important scenes in the game but here we see a L'ciel on the right and locations that will be key in the first part of the game.

tumblr_inline_nmef08J1tl1s64r10_540.jpg

At this point Kitase mentions that the story will be written by Kazushige Nojima, a long time fan favorite. Kitase puts great trust in Nojima and is sure he will be able to surprise players. (Asuna notices their pip is obscuring the poor mog in the right lower corner of the background presentation). Also, Nojima was involved with every completely new FF title to first hit a new hardware since Playstation. He wrote FFVII and also FFX. For FFXIII he provided the story concept and now the first brand new smartphone FF will also be by him.

tumblr_inline_nmef1hj3U61s64r10_540.jpg

They show the characters. The protag's name is given as Wal but Kitase points out that players can change it and the protag is supposed to be the player. Wal's voice actor is Nobunaga Shimazaki. Kitase asks if they know him? Asuna says he's eloquent, good looking and popular with females.

Kitase says that the December Famitsu showed Wal wearing the same outfit on its cover. Because they use the job system his appearance isn't the same for the whole game but the first time players see him he will the well known onion knight. The onion knight's outfit is supposed to be low on cloth since he will go on to change to more powerful jobs but they got some negative reactions for their onion knight character designs. Kitase says they don't want to betray people's expactions but as an online game it is a work in progress bound to change. And since many considered it to be too revealing they decided to tone it down. Asked on her opinion, Asuna says it's sexy, too sexy. Itahana is a great designer, Kitase says, but he had to go talk to him and ask him to make it less revealing.

tumblr_inline_nmef2l8bBE1s64r10_540.jpg

Okayama seems disappointed, he prefered the one on the left. Asuna asks, which one is the left? Left as seen from our side? Then she notices it makes no difference. Kitase adds that if enough people speak in favor of the old design, the data should still be there so they could bring it back. Kitase also says since the tattoo on his back is important to the story and has symbolic meaning they will still show his uncovered back in most outfits.

tumblr_inline_nmef36S92O1s64r10_540.jpg

Next character is Mog. His voice actor is Misaki Kuno. Kitase tries to remember if he came up in the promo video. Since he didn't Kitase says fans will get the chance to hear his new voice at a later occasion. They went for a cute design, including the heart shaped nose.

tumblr_inline_nmef3uxbnD1s64r10_540.jpg

Next is Sarah Lot Corneria, her voice actor being Yumi Hara. Fans will get to hear her voice at a later occasion. At this point, Kitase says her name is a reference to the very first FF, which fans surely have noticed. It isn't a remake but they wanted to pay their respect and make a kind of hommage to the original FF. Since mobile is a new start for the series they are reflecting this with references like this to the first game. Still, Sarah is a new character and not the same as in the original.

Asuna says that there a more characters but today they'll show these three only. Kitase promises there are more cute female characters and cool middle aged male characters to be revealed later. He says to look out for upcoming articles in magazines and other media. Asuna says they'll move on to the part viewers have probably been waiting for, the one where they show the game in action.

The project leader Hamaguchi shows the battle system on an iPhone6+. (Chapter 1: The Unwritten Fate. Wal, looking at the sword he is holding: What is this? Voice: Paramitia Rule: Nobody remembers the name of someone who won't fight.) Hamaguchi says he didn't want to talk during the cutscene but now he can explain the system. He demonstrates the game world rendered in real time and the lighting engine, moving the camera around freely. The whole game will look like this but instead of just showing how nice it looks he also wants to show how interesting the systems are.

tumblr_inline_nmef55hect1s64r10_540.jpg

To appeal to Japanese tastes they made it so you can control it with just one hand. Hamaguchi is right handed so he put the menu options on the right but this can be freely customized. It is a command based RPG without any action elements, instead allowing players to think and choose their strategy. By touching anywhere on the screen you can attack, same as choosing fight in console FFs. By attacking, players accumulate element symbols at the top of the screen which can be consumed to trigger abilities. Hamaguchi collected 6 earth elements so the earth ability tab on the right has become available. He uses it for big damage.

The abilities to choose from depend on what players equip on their deck before battles. The system is simple to use but players also need to consider their own and enemy's elements for offense and defense. He demonstrates element resistance and weakness. Element symbols stocked can also be used for defense instead of abilities. By touching the circle on the lower right you can choose an element to raise your own resistance with a shield called element drive. Asuna asks if the effect becomes stronger if more element symbols of the right color are available. Hamaguchi confirms, saying both the time span and the damage reduction are increased in that case.

Next he shows the growth system on an iPad air 2. The Onion Knight can upgrade to other jobs from the skill panel. There you can unlock stat upgrades and new jobs, using seeds you get for winning battles. He then proceeds to unlock the Warrior job, completing the skill panel. Asuna laughs at the revealing outfit, showing his tattooed back. His back can also be seen on the map screen, where he meets other players.

Changing the device again, he shows what he considers the most enjoyable parts of the game, battling huge enemies. For boss battles it is important to acquire the right skills and he wants players to put thought into what order they get which skills. For the huge boss he raises his earth resistance. He attacks with the opposite element. There is a break gauge. When empty the enemy becomes staggered and can be attacked for big damage. Hamaguchi wants players to not just defeat enemies but to try and use the most effective strategies. Getting a high battle score rewards bonus seeds to enable faster growth on the skill panel.

Last he shows the region map again, to show how much volume there is to the game. To progress and to unlock new places certain conditions have to be met. He also shows the globe view, which now is zoomable, as requested by Sakaguchi in December. Kitase says Sakaguchi also wanted them to add a moon, maybe with a later update. There will be time restricted areas/quests and they want to provide enough volume so you can just keep on playing.

tumblr_inline_nmef6jvuYD1s64r10_540.jpg

Asuna addresses the question of required specs, since players are concerned it will only run on the most recent hardware. Hamaguchi comments they showed it on high spec devices for best performance today but it also runs just as fluidly on older ones like the iPhone 5, Nexus 5 and a Sony Xperia which are up to 3 years old.

tumblr_inline_nmefaiR0XY1s64r10_540.jpg

Asuna asks about the release. It is scheduled for spring but it's already spring. Kitase says they're still doing debug. Players should expect more promo videos soon though. Since they got the Xperia running Asuna shows that the opening battle moves very fluidly on a three years old Android phone as well.

As closing words, Okayama recaps the presentation mentioning the great graphics, innovative battles allowing fast growth with good strategy and the job system. He promises the game to have a volume equivalent of multiple previous installments. Hamaguchi cautions him not to promise too much at that point. Okayama stresses that the game will be continuously updated and that it is great time to be in where you can enjoy a game of this quality as free2play. Although they cannot announce a date just yet, he wants players to look forward to the release.

Asuna apologizes for the presentation having gotten a bit too long and hopes viewers will see them again soon.

Top Bottom