• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with Impressive draw distance?

bomblord1

Banned
What are some games with great draw distance? Playing through the Master Chief collection I'm reminded of Halo 3's incredibly impressive 14 mile draw distance.

I also remember Just Cause 2 having some impressive draw distance as well.
jc2-cuda-3.jpg

Of course we can't forget Xenoblade X's insane draw.
What are some other games with impressive draw distance?

kingwingin

Gtav for me. The fact they pulled that off on the ps3 blew me away. You can see the entire island from anywhere

For it's time.... Anarchy Online was stunning

I think WoW was pretty stunning too because it's low res, lower LOD textures allowed for not only really far draw distance but also far object draw distance. It maybe had the best 'use of elevation' of any game for it's time, or at least up there... I mean, most RPGs at the time looked like they were just table tops with hills plopped here and there. WoW had genuine mountain ranges and a huge elevation change from sea to mountaintop, and within the mountain ranges, vast valleys and great hills... that combined with its draw distance was probably one of the greatest views of scale and scope for its time

GTA V is pretty awesome with how it does light blobs for car lamps at night

hope this shows it ok... especially at the end, look at that nightview... the distant lights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoqlaYoLOgE

like a night LA cityscape straight out of a Michael Mann movie,

Firehead

Xenoblade 3D's draw distance is pretty incredible. It's pretty much unchanged from the Wii version, from what I can tell. Very impressive that they pulled it off, I feel.

Corpekata

Banned
Some of these suggestions have really noticeable problems with pop-in or low poly placeholders (Iike Dying Light) so I would not say they are good examples of draw distance.

I mean one of the more famous "wasted" clips of GTA V is someone crashing their plane into a pole that popped into existence right in front of them.

To me an impressive one would be one that doesn't have these issues or at least hides them better.

It's kind of hard to tell on something like that. The stuff we see way back there could be part of the skydome instead of actual traversable land.

Not to mention who knows how the finished product would like, regardless of the confidence in Naughty Dog. Probably should be for already released games.

From what we've seen of No Man's Sky's, it's good and bad.

Good because it's realy cool that you can see all of the planets on the horizon, and the stars which are actually real solar systems that you can go to that may be EXTREMELY far away.

Bad because it's really poor when it comes to the actually environment around you of the planet that you're on. All of the shots we've seen so far has something that seems like fog, but it actually just exists to cover the draw distance.

Sean Murray said himself that it was embarrassing for him to show of the game in the state that it was (in the 33 minute tech demo) so hopefully they're working on bettering that before launch.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like it's hard to not give Oblivion a nod in here since it was one of the earlier games to have an increadibly detailed far distance view, where you could mostly say "I can go to that."

Nowadays it's not as impressive but it was insane when it came out.

pic2.jpg

Dio

Banned
It's actually interesting how Just Cause 2 does this.

IIRC, their tech is constantly drawing a 2D image that is indistinguishable from how it'd look from that distance at a certain point in front of you. They did it so seamlessly that people are always surprised at how they did it.

VARIA

From what we've seen of No Man's Sky's, it's good and bad.

Good because it's realy cool that you can see all of the planets on the horizon, and the stars which are actually real solar systems that you can go to that may be EXTREMELY far away.

Bad because it's really poor when it comes to the actually environment around you of the planet that you're on. All of the shots we've seen so far has something that seems like fog, but it actually just exists to cover the draw distance.

Sean Murray said himself that it was embarrassing for him to show of the game in the state that it was (in the 33 minute tech demo) so hopefully they're working on bettering that before launch.

Yeah it caught me a bit off guard when I saw the game running and things in the immediate distance just kept popping up/filling in details. It was quite jarring, so yeah I too really hope this is fixed before launch.

CHC

GTA V baby

Y2AkHE7.jpg

I know it's a bullshot, but it's.... not a bullshot, the game actually looks like this maxed out.

PS2: Jak and daxter games
PS3: GtA 5 ( its actually very impressive for an open world game, hell nothing compares)
PS4: Probably killzone SF

oakenhild

Xenoblade 3D's draw distance is pretty incredible. It's pretty much unchanged from the Wii version, from what I can tell. Very impressive that they pulled it off, I feel.

Yea, considering the hardware they pulled this off on...definitely impressed me.

GTAV has some of the most detailed draw distance I've seen yet.

Microsoft Flight Simulator, considering you can actually log real hours towards your pilot's license and some of the training hardware used this is a real draw distance show piece. Many real landscapes, landmarks, airports, weather conditions and aircraft etc are in this baby.

59-Hilo.jpg

Top Bottom