• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Historically, what do you think have been the worst game launches?

Codiox

Not sure how big this registers but on a personal note No Mercy on the N64. All the first release cartridges would just randomly delete your data.

I didn't realise they did a recall at the time so I just had a faulty No Mercy cartridge for ever constantly deleting everything I did. Fun :pie_invert:
fuck i was there. always got a heart attack when the entrance took longer than normal and your CAW wrestler came in standard outfit haha.

tldr: horribly bugged release pushed out of the door way too early, Future Publishing did exclusive pre-release coverage in two magazines which resulted in a additional drama. Atari hired a marketing firm in a botched attempt to change the narrative, exacerbating the situation. On top of that, people involved tried to scrub the scandal out of existence.

Rockstar even joked about it in one of the GTA: San Andreas missions (timestamp).

Driv3r is a masterpiece compared to GTA Trilogy: Definitive Edition by Grove Street Games. It has great visuals, big beautiful maps, good driving physics, and hypnotizing sound design. Sure the on-foot movement is wonky and shooting is bad, but it definitely has entertainment value. I still listen to its soundtrack from time to time and play it. Love the main menu track.

I remember buying this on launch day and thinking 'What the fuck is this shit, this is nothing like what they had said it would be'. Just a massive pile of dogshit.

Driver San Francisco was actually amazing though, but the franchise had already been killed at that point. Shame really.

Edit: To make it worse, being a kid I didn't have much money and had saved up to get this one (first two games were awesome!). I tried so hard to find the good in it, super disappointing.
Which platform did you play it on? I remember the Xbox version being pretty awesome.

Last edited:

Neff

Wasnt Street Fighter V super barebones at launch?

Yeah. Of all the big name games I've experienced at release SFV fares poorest relative to its potential. I still have my reservations about SFIV but I can't deny it was a very attractive package in comparison, even from day one. And again, 6 blows it out of the water.

Top Bottom