• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Historically, what do you think have been the worst game launches?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Since most games launch unfinished or busted nowadays, it got me thinking about the earliest game I can remember being a giant clusterfuck at launch. I'm talking levels of removing it from stores, online or otherwise because it was such a mess. Unprecedented levels. Hoping you guys can answer some of the questions regarding them too.

Spitballing here,

Cyberpunk I'd say is the most recent as Sony yanked it off PSN because it was such a shitshow. Public apologies galore. Did MS remove it as well at the time?

The Halo Master Chief Collection in 2014. Launch was the death of 1000 cuts with the matchmaking issues. So much so that they gave away free Gold and Halo ODST. Is 343i still fixing stuff or did they throw in the towel like they did with the rest of the franchise?

SimCity in 2013. The always online connectivity and downright busted save system. Amazon took it off their stores at the time. How did Steam respond?

Diablo 3 in 2012. The auction house I remember being the biggest offender. How much of an overhaul was made on this one? Was online paused for a time while it was fixed?

Before then? I'm drawing a blank. Half Life 2 keeps coming to mind because of the hacker that stole the source code delaying the release for a year. Christ when was the last time actual source code was taken for an upcoming heavy hitter? That was in 2003 though...

There had to have been a couple real horror shows between 2003 and 2012.

Of course the 80s and 90s were perfect :messenger_sunglasses:

Hudo

SimCity in 2013. The always online connectivity and downright busted save system. Amazon took it off their stores at the time. How did Steam respond?
I know people will try to fuck me up for this but I still think that Sim City 2013 is a better city sim than fucking Cities: Skylines, which is a competent (and better) city-building sandbox. But not a good city sim.

Edit: But yeah, still my disappointment of 2013.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Of course the 80s and 90s were perfect :messenger_sunglasses:
Etvideogamecover.jpg

Diablo 3 for me because it was much more anticipated then NMS
Of games I've actually purchased at launch, this is easily the one for me.

It had everything. Server problems, pay 2 win, awful drop rates, almost every inferno enemy required kiting to kill which made melee characters useless, etc.

They started with the auction house first and designed the game around it.

Mr Hyde

PC release of Arkham Knight stirred up quite the shitshow. I don't know if it got pulled from storefronts but Warner and Rocksteady fucked up big time and iirc it took a lot of time to fix the game. The drama that ensued felt unprecedented at the time, but it might just be me.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
PC release of Arkham Knight stirred up quite the shitshow. I don't know if it got pulled from storefronts but Warner and Rocksteady fucked up big time and iirc it took a lot of time to fix the game. The drama that ensued felt unprecedented at the time, but it might just be me.

It was a definitely pretty big deal. 2015.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
NMS…but I also rank it as one of the best comeback stories and I applaud the devs for not abandoning it, and for making it what it is today. Wish more devs would take notes. 2077 is another one, but I still don’t think the game is great, but how they fixed it is worth some credit.

Guilty_AI

Yeah, the one launch that damn near killed the entire gaming industry.

As bad as Cyberpunk 2077 or other recent examples were at launch, nothing comes close to E.T.
I do genuinelly think we're getting closer to a ET situation (though it wouldn't be as bad given the current size of the industry). There are many parallels that can be made with the modern market.

Mobilemofo

Mercenaries; world in flames . (That I can remember) promotion of it was ace, had that mad "oh no, you didn't!!' song. Was dead catchy. Cut to reality, and you had enemies glitches into rocks, enemies hidden actually in trees so you couldn't kill em. Game was quite average. I fell for it because of the song mixed with the nicely done trailer. 😄 Never again.

Drizzlehell

Banned
The way Microids handled the remake of XIII could easily rival Rockstar's GTA Definitive Trilogy. They didn't even bother fixing the fucking thing for like 2 years until they finally hired some other studio to bring it to a playable state.

The only difference is that nobody cares about XIII, so that's why it didn't make the news.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The way Microids handled the remake of XIII could easily rival Rockstar's GTA Definitive Trilogy. They didn't even bother fixing the fucking thing for like 2 years until they finally hired some other studio to bring it to a playable state.

The only difference is that nobody cares about XIII, so that's why it didn't make the news.

Even the people that took over didnt do a good job with it. It still had issues. Microids published and theyre behind that Flashback reboot. Zero hope. Another classic thats about to be butchered.

And I loved XIII :messenger_pensive:

Edit: Nvm its Flashback 2. Still concerning.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Nothing will beat No Man’s Sky’s launch, imo. It felt really close to fraud. Especially the aspect that they said it was a co-op game, when it was far from that.

That said, the game is great these days, but that team had to work very hard to earn back some goodwill.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
This video still makes me laugh:

Re: the MCC, they completely fixed matchmaking on Xbox 3 or 4 years after launch, because they were launching the collection on Steam. It’s brilliant now, but 343i ensured there would never be a high population.

How have I never seen that video. It’s incredibly accurate.

Top Bottom