• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can I transfer an HDD from one PS4 to another?

TRI Mike

Hello everyone, I recently had to buy another PS4 in a trip to the USA due to my first one having the eject-disc problem. Since I live in Venezuela, we don't have anywhere trustworthy to sent it for repairs or replacement. Now, since I have a lot of stuff in the old PS4 HDD installed already, including preorder costumes for DOA5LR that are not available normally in the PS Store, I'd like to know if it's possible to simply put the old PS4 HDD in the new one and if it's going to work properly.

I tried searching in google but I'm getting tutorials on how to upgrade the HDD, not anything about simply switching the HDD from one console to another.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
If you just insert the harddrive into a different PS4 it will reformat the drive.

Use the backup feature on the PS4 and then restore on the new one.

Bittercup

I need a big enough external HDD then... which I don't have.
If you have an external HDD case (or buy a cheap one) and a PC with a big enough internal HDD it might be possible to do it like this:
Use the HDD from the new PS4 in the external case for the backup from the old PS4, copy the backup on your PC, format the HDD of the old PS4 and copy the backup on it, put the other HDD back in the new PS4 and restore the backup on it.
That's what I did when I switched the HDD in my PS3 and didn't have a big enough one for the backup.
edit: I forgot, since you have 2 PS4s the step to copy the backup on the PC is unnecessary. Just like fastest finger wrote, switch the HDDs and use the new one externally the backup.

How about.....

Get yourself a USB caddy.
Take HDD out of new PS4, make it external.
Back up old PS4 to the external HDD.
Remove HDD from old PS4, put it in new PS4.
Use external HDD to restore to new PS4.

Would that work?

If I take out my PS4 HDD, would I be able to format if I connect it to my computer using a USB 3.0 to SATA Cable? So I connect it via USB and format it on my computer.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Wouldn't the stuff be still available to download from your PSN download list? The preorder costumes should be in your download list no matter what. Just uninstall everything and it shouldn't take that much space to backup to a smaller external drive.

plainr_

How about.....

Get yourself a USB caddy.
Take HDD out of new PS4, make it external.
Back up old PS4 to the external HDD.
Remove HDD from old PS4, put it in new PS4.
Use external HDD to restore to new PS4.

Would that work?

This is a good solution.

I would just fork out the money for a real external hard drive though.

Bumping this as I'm due to switch my launch PS4 for the MGS model in about a week's time:

I have a 1TB drive in my current PS4, and intend to pick up a 2TB drive for the newer one.

Does anyone have more recent experience of transferring everything (including game data, not just saves) from one PS4 to another? My most pressing concern is P.T., which I absolutely do not want to lose.

Wouldn't the stuff be still available to download from your PSN download list? The preorder costumes should be in your download list no matter what. Just uninstall everything and it shouldn't take that much space to backup to a smaller external drive.

Best solution undoubtably. I want to add, this will prevent any hdd fragmentation which once occurred me when I made a full backup of my Ps3 hdd including the downloaded stuff. It caused games with dynamic loading like WarHawk to stutter. So I made a minimal backup on a reformatted hdd and redownloaded everything and all went fine.

Top Bottom