• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you ever get nostalgic for old software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScOULaris

Strange question, I know. It came to me after re-watching a scene from The Social Network the other day. David Fincher, the director, is always really on the ball when it comes to the small details in terms of technology in his films. Since this movie took place in the early days of Facebook, it shows people using laptops of that era, operating systems from the time, and web browsers showcasing the old visual style that Facebook had long ago.

It was the end of the film when I tuned in on TV the other day, and the Mark Zuckerberg character is refreshing a Facebook profile repeatedly for a while as the credits begin. In this scene, he's using the old Netscape Navigator/Communicator browser, and I found myself feeling a sense of nostalgia for the bygone browser.

It's not like I'm pining for the good ol' days of Netscape or anything. Software is iterative by nature, and the Web is far beyond its relatively primitive form depicted in this scene of the movie. It's just that seeing old software like that in use brought back memories of the time.

I have a feeling that I'm not the only one who sometimes feels this way when encountering screenshots or discussions about bygone software.

Tidbit: When Firefox stepped in to fill the void left behind by Netscape Navigator (seen below) in the early 2000's, I used a Netscape theme for Firefox to simulate that old feel. I just really liked those old Netscape icons, and even back then I was already getting nostalgic over Netscape's demise. The early versions of Netscape were the gateway to my earliest ventures into the World Wide Web as a kid.

4.5-communicator.png
ns479_ss.gif

sometimes.

I remember a site from couple years ago called neocities that hosted a bunch of user-created content with layouts similar to old geocities pages

CTLance

Yep.

Although I'm mostly pining for the golden years of Windows 2000, RISC OS, Mac OS 9 and BeOS.

Bucket list: one of these days I'll somehow find a license for OS/2 Warp to install on one of my VMs. Still need to find out what that OS was all about.

....what do you mean, operating systems don't count?! They're software too!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Like Microsoft BOB, the greatest computer application ever? Yes.

I fondly remember kids games like Freddy fish, pajama Sam, reader rabbit that I use to play. Also AOL/msn messenger and that old ass Internet explorer UI

I'm very nostalgic for old software. This one in particular.

hqdefault.jpg

I remember the After Dark song that would play, with subtitles so you can sing along.

terrisus

Netscape Communicator 4.5 is "old?"

This is what I used:

bMRECrr.png

Also, this is what I still use for my email:
AOL 5.0

aollogin.jpg

aolwelcome.jpg

Bonus, these are still active:

aolchats.jpg

aolchats2.jpg

ScOULaris

....what do you mean, operating systems don't count?! They're software too!

Oh, they definitely count. I have some nostalgia for the Windows 2000 era for sure.

Here's another app that I miss:

icq99b.gif

ICQ instant messenger before AIM took over. As a kid I used to talk to Klik n' Play freeware developers on this bad boy and even test games early sometimes. The early days of indie gaming. :)

Also... old-school Winamp:

myce-winamp-classic.jpg

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
c64gmenu1.gif

win31.png

And stuff. Yeah, nostalgia is a nice feeling sometimes.

NekoFever

Did anyone ever use Creative Writer?

Creative_Writer-Software.png

I found my old boxed copy in a closet recently and had a nostalgia attack. I used to make fanzines for games with it.

Aeana

As far as operating systems go, I miss OS/2.
Software... Cakewalk 3, Impulse Tracker, Opera 6. Opera 6 remains my favorite interface for a browser, and I wish something would come around that implements a modern browser engine into that exact interface.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I miss that chess game where the pieces would literally get up and move and when you took another piece they would fight. I found it again a few years ago and actually successfully ran it on Windows 7.

Another one I miss but can never find was a game where you essentially had to create rube Goldberg machines putting pieces together to either free or pop balloons. Something along those lines.

terrisus

Opera 6. Opera 6 remains my favorite interface for a browser, and I wish something would come around that implements a modern browser engine into that exact interface.

I think that was right around the point I had switched over from Netscape to Opera

Absolutely love(d) Opera.
Still using it today, in fact
(12.17)

ScOULaris

Whatchy'all know about dat Morpheus?

Morpheus-PRO.jpg

Other than Usenet, Morpheus was my go-to for file-sharing until Kazaa rose to claim the throne for a while.

It got me through puberty.

Hah. Indeed. Waiting all night for a 320x240, 2-minute Jenna Jameson clip and hoping the download didn't get stuck halfway through.

bender

What time is it?
WordPerfect 5.1, it's what we used in high school to learn how to type. I might be misremembering the version.

gutshot

I miss that chess game where the pieces would literally get up and move and when you took another piece they would fight. I found it again a few years ago and actually successfully ran it on Windows 7.

Another one I miss but can never find was a game where you essentially had to create rube Goldberg machines putting pieces together to either free or pop balloons. Something along those lines.

I remember both of those games!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Chess
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_Machine_(series)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom