• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Faith No More - Sol Invictus |OT| Eighteen Years of Separation Anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eighteen years after Faith No More's 1997 Album of the Year comes 2015's album of the year...

Faith No More
nSX9goD.gif
Sol Invictus

AzwN0Tl.jpg

Release date: May 18, 2015
Track List:
  1. Sol Invictus 2:37
  2. Superhero 5:15
  3. Sunny Side Up 2:59
  4. Separation Anxiety 3:44
  5. Cone of Shame 4:40
  6. Rise of the Fall 4:09
  7. Black Friday 3:19
  8. Motherfucker 3:33
  9. Matador 6:08
  10. From the Dead 3:06

Faith No More is (from left to right):
Gimp - Gimp
Jon Hudson - Guitar
Billy Gould - Bass Guitar
Mike Patton - Vocals
Mike "Puffy" Bordin - Drums
Roddy Bottum - Keyboards, Vocals
Gimp - Gimp

Singles so far:
Faith No More - Motherfucker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glr878X82PE
Soundcloud link: Faith No More - Motherfucker
Faith No More - Superhero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKP98hDBJ8w

Full album streaming: LISTEN to FAITH NO MORE SOL INVICTUS stream: Find out where you can listen in your country
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/0pmOoQ16XaMwNeSxXAN7q1

New songs live from Santa Ana, CA 4/25/2015
  1. Sol Invictus
  2. Superhero
  3. Sunny Side Up
  4. Separation Anxiety
  5. Cone of Shame
  6. Rise of the Fall (hasn't been played live yet)
  7. Black Friday
  8. Motherfucker
  9. Matador
  10. From the Dead

Welcome home my friend.

Reviews:
Metacritic: Currently 79
Blabbermouth: 10/10
Considering this album had little odds of coming about years ago, it's insufficient to say "Sol Invictus" is worth the wait. It's a brand new beginning with a brand new vibe that's still FAITH NO MORE in soul. It's not "King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime", but "Sol Invictus" is that damned good on its own merits. In some ways, it's the most mind-blowing performance under the moniker. As the closing number asserts, FAITH NO MORE is back from the dead, thank God.
The List: 5/5
However, the beautiful paradox at the heart of this band is that they are always at their most archetypally Faith No More when they sound nothing like archetypal Faith No More. The result is a masterclass in what they've always excelled at – not giving a damn about your expectations.
Mosh: 5/5
All in all Sol Invictus is nothing short of supreme. Bands who have been around as long as Faith No More rarely will take chances this far into their career. Look at bands like AC/DC, Aerosmith, etc. Bands that people will always love but come on, have they really progressed at all over the last 30 years? That's what makes this band so special, so loved and so important, not just to rock or alternative music but to music in general. Younger bands need to get this album and get back in the practice room. A new standard has been set and once again Faith No more, the crazy uncle of alternative have set that standard.
The Skinny: 5/5
Faith No More's self-proclaimed “Second Coming” is given weight by Sol Invictus – “The Unconquered Sun” – a 40 minute trip driven by charisma, invention and Patton's characteristic tracheal terrorism. Close your eyes and stick pins in the tracklist for highlights; Superhero stumbles through the door like a demented sequel to Epic, their age-old hit, while Separation Anxiety is a convincing update on the sort of juddering thrash-funk they made their own with Angel Dust. Passionate, hungry and still hearteningly uncompromising; this is the real thing.
Stack: Positive
Sol Invictus reunites the last FNM line-up including founders Roddy Bottum (keys) and Mike Bordin (durms), and longtime bassist Billy Gould (who's produced Sol Invictus). Patton's storming ferocity and ability to lift the band (and the songs) to their heights is – crucially – intact. Nor does a single moment sound tired or half-done: it's energised, passionate and rocks as hard as any record they've ever made. The opening title track gives us a strangely funereal beginning, with Patton prowling and threatening before the mighty Superhero kicks us into vintage FNM high gear, all majestic keys, super-primed bass devasation and with “Leader of men/ back in your cage/ will you be one of them?” has a Patton refrain to die for – it's devastatingly good. Sunny Side Up is all loose funk and a slow, sure build, while Separation Anxiety is a march-of-the-warriors procession building to a kill ‘em all/take no prisoners crescendo.

While Faith No More explore a few fun textures along the way (hear the Mex-Reggae of Rise of the Fall), it's a potent resurrection of all we ever loved about them.
Lithium Magazine: Positive
At times relentlessly manic and utterly poetic, Sol Invictus is everything I was hoping for from a new Faith No More Album. The critics may hate it, but that's ok; they didn't understand Angel Dust, King for a Day and Album of the Year when they came out, and look how wrong they all were. Sol Invictus will slide in nicely to the left of the rest of your Faith No More collection. I've had the album on repeat since receiving it from the label last week, and it's a ‘motherf@#ker' from beginning to end, produced by the band without any label interference whatsoever, which is likely a first for the band.

Revel in it.
Onion A.V. Club: B+
In other words, it’s the rare, rare reunion album that’s shoulder to shoulder with what came before it, standing on the band’s solid catalog instead of trying and failing to start the climb anew. And though Sol Invictus is clearly colored by Patton’s artistic dalliances in the 18 years since Album Of The Year, it’s instantly recognizable as Faith No More, and at least in the neighborhood of some of the band’s best. That’s more than any reasonable fan could’ve hoped for.
SPIN: 4/10
Mike Patton retains his cult for making a 25-year career of Doing Whatever He Wants, less in the Tom Waits model than a more slovenly one: He’s like a hometown school friend whom you can’t believe is still pressing CD-Rs.
1ERNn4C.jpg

Flynn

I got a copy of the Motherfucker 7" at the merch table at one of the Los Angeles shows. I guess they held some back.

So when does Jim Martin found the Faith No More Spiirtual & Theological Center?

Sadly, it looks like that won't happen. Apparently the band reached out to him, but it didn't work out.

The Untimely Death and Glorious Rebirth of Faith No More
http://noisey.vice.com/es/blog/the-untimely-death-and-glorious-rebirth-of-faith-no-more
Was it understood that Jim Martin would not be involved, or did you initially reach out to him?
Oh, we totally reached out to him. I was of the mind that, of course we would not do this without Jim. There's no way. I think we all felt pretty strongly about that initially—well, some of us maybe more strongly than others. Jim was a real contentious person in the band, but I loved him. He's a great guy, and a real oddball. He's the total polar opposite to what I'm all about—you could not find two more different people in a band than he and I—but I like him and I've always liked him. I wanted him to do it, and I actually talked to him about it. I thought it was going that way, but it just didn't work out.

Did he just have no interest?
I think he had interest. But I think he also had really pent-up resentments about the way we broke up. I think it was difficult for him to come back into the fold, and he set it up in such a way that… I think, unconsciously, he was gonna cut off his nose to spite his face. Like he was so damaged from resentment that he dug a hole and didn't come out of it. Which is a shame. That's my take. I'm sure he'd tell you a different story, but he's a very masculine, closed person who doesn't really talk about that sort of stuff.

He's a championship pumpkin farmer now.
Yeah, we talked about that. I think he has two daughters and he's married. I think he still makes some music. And he grows pumpkins. He seems happy.

Apparently, at least for the April 23, 2015 show in Los Angeles, the gimp was former Guns n' Roses bassist Duff McKagan.

F32C0XV.jpg

Faith No More Make Duff McKagan Their Gimp
http://www.metalsucks.net/2015/04/28/faith-no-more-make-duff-mckagan-their-gimp/

Presumably, getting McKagan to wear this tight, uncomfortable outfit was Faith No More's revenge for the shit show that was the Guns N' Roses/Metallica/Faith No More summer tour of 1992, on which FNM were reportedly completely miserable.

Still, McKagan got the last laugh — 'cause the gimp outfit was still only half as tight as the leather pants McKagan rocked in the 80s!

Already pre-ordered. I just saw them play in Seattle. Great show, and still one of my favorite bands.

On a side note the opener in Seattle was Christeene. If you get a chance to see her live show, do it. It was very bizarre, funny, gross, and entertaining.

Already pre-ordered. I just saw them play in Seattle. Great show, and still one of my favorite bands.

On a side note the opener in Seattle was Christeene. If you get a chance to see her live show, do it. It was very bizarre, funny, gross, and entertaining.

I pre-ordered as well, but not from their store. Shipping to Canada plus the exchange rate was going to be too expensive. I'm going to see them in just over a week in Toronto and I can't wait. What kind of music was Christeene?

The only negative thing I can say about the album is that it's 39 minutes long. :(

It'd be nice if the album was longer, but if that's the only bad thing you can say, that's very encouraging. I've heard nothing but good things from people who got preview copies.

I hope this isn't just a one-off. The world needs more Faith No More.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
It's too bad they couldn't find a way to bring Jim back into the fold, but judging from the released material FNM will be alright. I am really, really happy that we're getting a new album, easily one of my favourite bands of all time.

It's too bad they couldn't find a way to bring Jim back into the fold, but judging from the released material FNM will be alright. I am really, really happy that we're getting a new album, easily one of my favourite bands of all time.

Weirdly I would have preferred Trey, if only because it would be that tiny step closer to a Mr. Bungle reunion. I think Jim is crazy nowadays. I mean, so is Trey, but in a good way :p

Weirdly I would have preferred Trey, if only because it would be that tiny step closer to a Mr. Bungle reunion. I think Jim is crazy nowadays. I mean, so is Trey, but in a good way :p

Well Patton and Spruance have played together live in FNM and Mondo Cane in recent years. Patton is also on the newest SC3 album so who knows.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Kinda funny that two key members (Terminator X, Jim Martin) from two of my favourite bands got into farming as opposed to back in the studio :p

wondermega

If JM would have come back on board I would be 1000% out of my mind, that man was so crucial to what I loved about FNM's sound back in the day. Even the pre-Patton stuff still sounds so exceptional to me.

There's some super-long form interviews w these guys during the Angel Dust recordings, and he makes it extremely clear how unhappy he was with how things were changing with that band/his place in it way back then. It's very easy to see why he'd never want to return, given the type of band they'd become. Not a bad band, but very evidently something that was not what he wanted.

A shame, but I'm glad for what we did get!!

As for the new album, I've got mixed feelings about it. FNM was my favorite band growing up (before Tool came along) and their last couple of albums were good but certainly bittersweet, given what I've said. I enjoyed Album of the Year, but it seemed a fitting kibosh for them. A new album by that same configuration - well it's kinda reminding me how a new Tron movie popped up after a couple of decades. There's things I'm sure I'll enjoy about it, but I kinda want to leave those memories as they are without considering "how they wanna update it..."

Anyway, screw all that. Give me another Mr Bungle :p

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not allowed to listen to motherfucker due to my communism or something but I liked superhero. pretty psyched for this. 1997 is back bitches

Cannot wait until the inevitable shows in Chile where everything is turned up to a million times better.
There are a few of the Chile shows on YouTube and they are amazing. There's a really good Brazil show too. I like how Mike Patton throws in lyrics and talks to the crowds in their native language.
Faith No More - Estadio Bicentenario de La Florida (Santiago, Chile 2009) [Full Show]
Faith No More - (HD) SWU Festival / Brasil 2011 [Full Show]
A new album finally? Surely they're not suffering from a....midlife crisis?
kappa.png
From fasting to feasting.
I'm not allowed to listen to motherfucker due to my communism or something but I liked superhero. pretty psyched for this. 1997 is back bitches
I updated the OP with a Soundcloud link. If it's region-restricted too, you can use https://hola.org

Corpsepyre

Banned
It'd be nice if the album was longer, but if that's the only bad thing you can say, that's very encouraging. I've heard nothing but good things from people who got preview copies.

I hope this isn't just a one-off. The world needs more Faith No More.

Just don't go in a second round of Angel Dust or The Real Thing, and you'll be good. Infact, don't even expect this to sound ANYTHING like their last two albums.

It's a great album in itself, but the sound is very different from what they've done in the past.

Just don't go in a second round of Angel Dust or The Real Thing, and you'll be good. Infact, don't even expect this to sound ANYTHING like their last two albums.

It's a great album in itself, but the sound is very different from what they've done in the past.
If it sounds anything like the what I've heard live so far, I'm in 100%

Hype! I added these to the second post.

You can hear the album versions of Cone of Shame and Matador that were premiered last night on German radio station RBB. They sound incredible.
http://newfaithnomore.com/2015/05/0...-new-song-cone-of-shame-on-german-radio-show/

Yahoo are going to be streaming the May 8, 2015 Detroit, MI Faith No More show.

May 8, 2015, 9:15 p.m. ET The Fillmore Detroit, Detroit, MI
https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/faith-no-more

jay

The first sentence of the Blabbermouth review isn't even a sentence.

"For a long time, as unlikely a reunion as the original lineup of VAN HALEN still is, the moment is finally here."

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I imagine I'll like this since I've enjoyed almost everything Patton's been involved with since the band broke up.

I think I'll listen to Tomahawk today.

Chuck Mosely?! Neato!

Anyhow, seen Patton's bands a number of times -- FNM with Monsters of Rock for Angel Dust, Mr. Bungle with California, Tomahawk with Tomahawk, Fantomas with Tool right after Director's Cut. He always delivers. Love all his side projects, Peeping Tom, Lovage, his brief stint on Sepultura, etc.

Can't wait to see them in July when they swing through.

Chuck Mosely?! Neato!

Anyhow, seen Patton's bands a number of times -- FNM with Monsters of Rock for Angel Dust, Mr. Bungle with California, Tomahawk with Tomahawk, Fantomas with Tool right after Director's Cut. He always delivers. Love all his side projects, Peeping Tom, Lovage, his brief stint on Sepultura, etc.

Can't wait to see them in July when they swing through.

I only caught the tail end of this show. It was nice to see Chuck Mosely up there for a song. I liked Mike Patton's quip about the tambourine being "like a hippy rattlesnake." I would have watched the replay, but I'm going to see them in Toronto tonight and I needed the sleep. This will be my first Faith No More show, but I was lucky enough to see Mike Patton with Tomahawk when they opened for Tool. I can't wait.

pharmx

The sound is still unmistakabley FNM though, absolutely love what I've heard so far.

I just got home from the Toronto show. It was amazing. Mike Patton absolutely killed it.

Faith No More - Midlife Crisis - Toronto, May 9, 2015
Not my video

Mike Patton singled out a dude in the crowd who was air drumming the entire show. Later, he singled him out again and they did an impromptu jam for him. God I hope someone recorded it. At the end of the show, Puffy gave him his drum sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom