• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS/GBA owners: Must buy Drill Dozer

polg

599px-Drill_Dozer.jpg

What does IGN say?
As a total package, Drill Dozer will offer most gamers an experience long overdue on the Game Boy Advance. The gameplay is like nothing before it, and the graphical and audio design help to create a world different from any other game on the system. While the mechanic was used to its fullest, providing tons of memorable moments of drilling, players may start to get tired of the constant, repetitive control. Be prepared to drill…a lot. To those who accept it as their own, however, Drill Dozer comes as a truly inspired adventure for the GBA.

What does Gamespot say?
Drill Dozer does a great job of showing you the basics of how the drill dozer works and then slowly ramping up its difficulty with progressively more complicated levels and enemies. It's not the longest game, but if you intend to find all the hidden treasures in the levels, there's plenty of gameplay to be had. With presentation that matches the quality of the overall product, Drill Dozer should definitely not be missed by fans of classic side-scrolling action games

What does 1up say?
It's difficult to describe what makes Dozer so compelling; it's a seemingly basic game that provides a serious challenge without ever feeling like a retread of someone else's creation. Every level contains a consistent structure as you upgrade your mech from first gear to third, yet the game never becomes repetitive or formulaic. And to top it all off, Dozer makes for a handy litmus test for those gamers who sniff at "graphics whores" and claim to cherish good gameplay above all else. If they pass this one up, they're damn liars.

drill-dozer-20051226095407683.jpg

but more important... what does GAF HAVE TO SAY?

McBacon said:
You're a girl, you drive a big damn drill in a mech type thing, you drill through shit, but the real winner is all the special blocks and puzzle elements that makes you use the drill for getting up high ledges, doing through tunnels, opening areas for a short period of time, etc.
Its got a great structure to it, meaning its easy to pick up and play each time, cause you know what you're doing. The bosses are cool even, use the drill on their weak spot for MASSIVE DAMAGE - for example, they'll fire a rocket, but the rocket launcher hole will be exposed for you to drill.

ironclad said:
Drill Dozer is an absolutely brilliant game. I just finished it last night. Now that I have my mega bit though, it's time to go hunt for some treasure! Mega bit + third gear = everything melting like butter at the drill

drohne said:
yeah, drill dozer is excellent -- the special stages, most of which unlock after you've beaten the game, push a basic set of platforming mechanics farther than anything since...i dunno...super magnetic niu niu? though drill dozer is probably the better game. really clever, challenging stuff.

If you have a DS or a GBA you MUST give this game a try.

spread the drill dozer love...

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Drill Dozer is a great game, so much so that even Drinky like it. Go Drill Dozer

pitt_norton

I love Drill Dozer... though I think I may have a defective copy.

When i play it on my gba player the rumble feature doesn't extend itself to the controller
and I'm having a bitch of a time to get the treasure on the first level. The design dictates I need the third gear and yet when i get the third gear i have no way of getting back to an earlier point since i'm shut off but a blocked door!

Teasel

what the hell you people find good in drill dozer?
it's repetitive,boring and has some of the worst music i have ever heard in a videogame

Brashnir

Teasel said:
it's repetitive,boring and has some of the worst music i have ever heard in a videogame

says the man with the Duck Hunt avatar.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Because of the thread

Drill Dozer > NSMB

that someone created I am never buying it. I'm also going to tell people that I did buy it and it wasn't very good and they shouldn't buy it, as punishment for the stupidity of that thread.

MutFox

Banned
catfish said:
Because of the thread

Drill Dozer > NSMB

that someone created I am never buying it. I'm also going to tell people that I did buy it and it wasn't very good and they shouldn't buy it, as punishment for the stupidity of that thread.
:lol :lol

The End

It's on my list of "GBA games to buy eventually" along with Gunstar Super Heroes, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Minish Cap, and the two Fire Emblem games.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
travisbickle said:
I thought it was released under a different name "drill training" or something, or is that a totally different game?
that's the japanese version!

catfish said:
Because of the thread

Drill Dozer > NSMB

IAWTP

mikeGFG

Banned
I think I got to the third or fourth area when I gave up. The drill gameplay was annoying, and there was virtually no difficulty whatsoever.

But that was around the time the game was released. I'm willing give it another shot after I pry myself away from Mega Man Zero 3/4 :D

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
travisbickle said:
I thought it was released under a different name "drill training" or something, or is that a totally different game?

The UK version is "Screw Breaker", it ain't out yet.

This is getting old. I think this is the third or fourth thread stating the exact same thing. DD is a cute and simple game, but nothing more. I'll agree there is a lot of charm there, but nothing to start a thread about.

I enjoyed it up until I had to use the prop to go through water and that annoyed me a bit but I pushed through it in hopes that it would get better. THEN I got to the flying portion and said "**** this". Fighting controls is not fun.

womp

I just picked this up and it really is a cool little game and probably one of the last gems to be shoved onto the GBA platform. Fun and interestingly different gameplay. Check it out.

Jeff-DSA

The End said:
It's on my list of "GBA games to buy eventually" along with Gunstar Super Heroes, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Minish Cap, and the two Fire Emblem games.

What in the world are you waiting for?

I finally picked Drill Dozer up last night from Target. I got hooked pretty much immediately and I've put a good amount of time into it already. It's definitely one of the better 2006 releases on the handheld front.

The End

Jeff-DSA said:
What in the world are you waiting for?

I finally picked Drill Dozer up last night from Target. I got hooked pretty much immediately and I've put a good amount of time into it already. It's definitely one of the better 2006 releases on the handheld front.

My next three paychecks, maybe?

(note, I'm an adult, my gaming budget is just very limited)

I bought Drill Dozer a few weeks ago and have played quite a bit since then. I definitely agree with everything that has been said about the game. It's great! Some points I'd like to add are:

+The game gets pretty challenging later in. Especially some of the secret areas.
+I don't know if it's just that I've played it in so many intervals, but the game is LONG! Much longer than I'd thought it would be. I just got to area 5-1, I think
(the prison level)
, and I'm just starting to backtrack to previous areas and I know there are still two more areas (at least) to go, and I feel like I've been playing for almost 8 hours or more.

The only negative thing I can say is:

-Playing DD on a regular DS cramps my hands worse than any other game. Hopefully the DS Lite will remedy that.

Overall, Drill Dozer is awesome! Go buy it now!

The End said:
You have a lot of great gaming experiences ahead of you, my friend. Have fun!

Code_Link

The End said:

So you haven't bought any good GBA games? :p

Mrbob

Game looks interesting, but I saw some footage on the 1upshow and I can't take the twining and twanging soundtrack. Grates my ears.

The End

Code_Link said:
So you haven't bought any good GBA games? :p

I've got quite a few...

Metroid Fusion
Metrod Zero Mission
Pokemon Sapphire (it, uh, came with the GBA)
Castlevania Double Pack
MMZ2
MMBN3
Zelda: Four Swords
Astro Boy (probably my favorite portable game, like, ever)
Guardian Heroes Advance
Advance Wars 2

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I played through like level 3 or something on my brother's cartridge... I have no idea why I haven't picked this up yet, it's a very good game.

Jiggy

Drill Dozer falls into the Valkyrie Profile category: fantastic once, never touch again--but man, was that first time fantastic and worthwhile.

Teasel said:
Yes, the music sucks, but otherwise, no. :(

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
As one of the original hypers of Drill Dozer I'll say that this game is on my summer list of gaming reruns ta play through again! It's cute and quirky and backs them up with solid gameplay that keeps building up from level to level. :) Plus its pretty epic for a handheld platformer. For instance, the flying level boss fight was crazy maniacal and
infiltration and escape from the missile was cool as was the whole throw tons of baddies at ya level 5-2!
:D I just wish I had a GBASPv2 (drop to $50 already!) cause GC/DS control is abit much on the hands for extended play sessiosn.

polg

Does anybody know how many copies it sold in the US?

also... for those who say "it's too easy". Keep playing, the levels you unlock/buy at the end... are very hard, very unforgiving

Tarazet

Tried it today thanks to Gamefly. It's fun, but I think I like Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament better, and it doesn't have offensively horrible art.

gururoji

My 2 cents:

I have no idea why this game is so hugely hyped. Honestly it looks just like something I would totally flip for, and I tried hard to be super excited about it, but I played through it was fairly underwhelmed the whole time.

Here's a few points that I keep coming back to:

* The way the game moves feels to me like a turn-based game maker trying to make a real-time action game. I never got the feeling like it controlled all that fluidly and it's weird sometimes how drilling will "snap" you into position (this is fairly helpful from a gameplay standpoint, but the way it looks and feels was weird to me). Feel is a fairly subjective thing in a game, but of all the other platformers I played on GBA (Mario Advances, Megaman Zero, Klonoa, hell, even DK King of Swing), this had the strangest, most disconnected feel to me. Reminded me of old PC shareware.

* The optional training level you can go to after the first introductory level throws pretty much every basic control and game-mechanic twist at you right away. The effect of this? I played that level, thought the game was freakin' awesome, then played through the rest of the game and was bored by the fact that the other levels weren't as challenging or innovative. The one secret level I did unlock was pretty out-there and challenging too, but basically I played 2 outstanding optional levels and plodded through the rest.

* I really didn't like the fact that your drill starts over at level 1 every time. What fun there was of Level 3 drilling madness is confined to at least the latter half of most levels. In a game that has an interface that allows you to buy upgrades that you keep, I thought it seemed pretty disjointed that your most basic ability is wiped clean at the start of each level. And, if you're going to send me back to square one, at least let me skip the "you got gear #2" animation. That animation was super cool and exciting the first time I hit it, but it's huge bright colored stripes and pump-you-up music only ended up later emphasizing how unexcited I was to get drill level 2 or 3...AGAIN.

Having said this, it's not a bad game--I wouldn't go quite as far as Teasel or Mike G.E.D.. I had some fun, like I mentioned. The characters were pretty endearing and the dialogue was quirky and funny at times. But the amount that this game gets mentioned as a must buy for every GBA/DS owner on GAF seems odd to me. Lambast me if you will.

Top Bottom