• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS/GBA owners: Must buy Drill Dozer

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Fuzzy said:
I'll buy it once I find it for no more than $30 CAD new (it's $40 CAD now).
Really? I got it at Futureshop for $35 the week it launched.

I purchased this at the same time as the DS Lite for the full $30. No regrets.

Maybe someone here can answer this question..

I beat the game and went back and got all the treasures thinking I'd get the code to use the lock thingy in the training level, but no dice. However I did found all the codes online. Is there no way to obtain these codes in the game or what? I kind of wanted the satisfaction of having done it myself but I can't see any way to get any of the codes in-game..

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
mj1108 said:
Picked mine up at BB tonight for $9.99. :)
You bum...you should have got this for full price like me.

...:(

gkrykewy said:
I haven't played this game and have no interest in it, but I thought you might like to know that it's presently available for $9.99 at bestbuy.com. Credit to CAG.

LINK

EDIT: Oh hell, I bought it after all. Great deal!
THANK YOU OMG ive been trying to get this game for under 20 for the longest time. Ebay has failed me too many times. that circuit city sale sucks because all the good games are gone. i tried for an instore pickup but none of the BBs near me have the game.

The Mighty Schwein said:
I beat the game and went back and got all the treasures thinking I'd get the code to use the lock thingy in the training level, but no dice. However I did found all the codes online. Is there no way to obtain these codes in the game or what? I kind of wanted the satisfaction of having done it myself but I can't see any way to get any of the codes in-game..
yeah, really. why have codes if the only way to get them is to find out on the Internet? To have codes that unlock other codes is retarded enough, but then you have to figure them out by random? idiotic.

bune duggy said:
yeah, really. why have codes if the only way to get them is to find out on the Internet? To have codes that unlock other codes is retarded enough, but then you have to figure them out by random? idiotic.

I guess that confirms that. Thanks.

They missed a nice chance to use the rumble on the tumbling number locks there. They could have made it so the game rumbles a bit more when you enter the correct number.. that would have been kind of cool.

My only assumption is that these codes were part of ads for the game or part of the japanese web site somehow (they sure as hell aren't on the american site), thus why you can't find them out in game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've had DD since it came out, and I don't regret purchasing it for an instant. I still go back to it to get some of the treasures I've missed. What a fantastic game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Got it for $10 and it IS a lot of fun...but what the hell, it's 30 fps. I was not pleased, to say the least.

Still fun, but when I go into a 2D platformer...I expect 60 fps.

jgkspsx

Alright, 100% complete. The secret levels were more enjoyable than the normal levels (though the secret prison level's stealth portion pissed me off -- I spent hours on it before realizing blocks that looked solid actually could be passed through). I guess I enjoyed the game, but for every great moment there was an equally irritating moment.

Actually, boss complaints aside, jiji's review seems spot-on.

Gunstar Super Heroes was waaay more fun, but maybe that was the nostalgia. At least it didn't have sluggish controls! As far as "non-standard" platformers go, I thought King of Swing was great (although the framerate was probably 30 fps, at least it was locked).

gururoji

jgkspsx said:
Alright, 100% complete. The secret levels were more enjoyable than the normal levels (though the secret prison level's stealth portion pissed me off -- I spent hours on it before realizing blocks that looked solid actually could be passed through). I guess I enjoyed the game, but for every great moment there was an equally irritating moment.

QFE.

jgkspsx said:
As far as "non-standard" platformers go, I thought King of Swing was great (although the framerate was probably 30 fps, at least it was locked).

Glad to see some other King of Swing love, I fully 200%-ed it last week and had a blast the whole time.

I was glad to see this bumped. This is an incredible game. I wish the idiots who hate it would go back to gamefaqs and quit polluting this forum with noxious retard fumes.

polg

MrAngryFace said:
I was glad to see this bumped. This is an incredible game. I wish the idiots who hate it would go back to gamefaqs and quit polluting this forum with noxious retard fumes.

I see you are back...

demi

Game is very samey, it's thrown nothing new my way at all, collect three gears, boom done

And making me listen to the same GOD DAMN song everytime I get 3rd Gear doesnt help this AT ALL. OH MY GAWWWD THIRD GEAR TIME TO CRANK UP THE HERO MUSIC

polg

demi said:
Game is very samey, it's thrown nothing new my way at all, collect three gears, boom done

And making me listen to the same GOD DAMN song everytime I get 3rd Gear doesnt help this AT ALL. OH MY GAWWWD THIRD GEAR TIME TO CRANK UP THE HERO MUSIC

that's true, the song is annoying...

maf posted this in another thread

<3<3<3

screw.jpg

mj1108

dark10x said:
Got it for $10 and it IS a lot of fun...but what the hell, it's 30 fps. I was not pleased, to say the least.

Still fun, but when I go into a 2D platformer...I expect 60 fps.

God I hope you're being sarcastic.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
mj1108 said:
No, I'm dead serious. The game rocks, but the framerate sucks. There are very few side scrollers out there running at such a framerate and it's always shocking and disappointing when they show up. I forgave Metal Slug, though, and I can forgive this...

gururoji

demi said:
I'm on Area 4, and I don't expect it to magically turn into this wonderous game

It won't. The secret levels are pretty great, though, if you're up to Area 4 already, might as well stick it out to play some of those.

This is a great thread. I've been really happy to see people honestly expressing opinions on both sides of the spectrum. It confirms my feelings on the game, which is that it's a mixed bag. It ought to be divisive and not universally accepted. And no I won't "go back to Gamefaqs" just because I refuse to auto-buy into the GAF hive-mind mentality on this one.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Thanks to who ever posted the bestbuy price drop info, after having no luck with the circuit city deal, I finally got a copy. Im about an hour or so in, and it's very good. I would have paid the full price if I would have know it was this good.

AniHawk

demi said:
I'm going to shelf this game under the "Kinda Sorta" category on the GAF hype list

It was like Kirby, but instead of simply being slow, it was slow AND would literally stop every 5 seconds. Drill Dozer fails.

demi

Yah, it's really samey, and that god awful third gear music HELLO stop doing that!

Not to mention the clever boss battles -- playing hot potato with MISSILES OOO WEE

But I ain't gonna hate it all the way, it's playable, much like a Kirby game. BUT FOR ****S SAKE STOP HYPING THESE THINGS -- would YOU hype a Kirby title? OH THATS RIGHT YOU WOULDNT

duh duh duh drill snoozer

dark10x said:
No, I'm dead serious. The game rocks, but the framerate sucks. There are very few side scrollers out there running at such a framerate and it's always shocking and disappointing when they show up. I forgave Metal Slug, though, and I can forgive this...

Oh God...

Anyway, I finally got the game earlier in the week and I simply can't stop playing it.

demi

I finished the game -- the final fight was probably the most original out of the entire game... at least they did something different. Sheesh.

I will try and get all the treasures, then sell it off.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
mj1108 said:

dark10x
60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 60 fps

demi said:
Who's idea was it to make the swimming and flying controls shitty? Eh?

I can agree with the fyling ones but the underwater controls are great. This is one game I actually don't dread the swimming levels.

Dragmire

Got it at BB for $9.99 because of GAF. I'm very satisfied. The game is a little clunky and rough around the edges, but it makes me feel like I'm playing an NES platformer again for some reason. Addicting, challenging and fun. Granted, it may be challenging because I haven't bought any energy power ups. I was initially saving my money for better items, but now I'm doing it because I prefer the challenge.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I'm in with the Drill Dozer hate. The game IS fun but it's slow as all hell and forces you to go through awkward moments of bullshit when dealing with flying or swimming mechanics. THAT IS NOT FUN, BEING CHALLENGING MEANS INVENTING NEW AND UNIQUE LEVEL OBSTACLES WITHOUT ****ING YOU OVER IN THE CONTROLS DEPARTMENT. It's definitely a good buy at $10 though.

Plus the vibrating motor makes more sound than it vibrates.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
demi said:
I finished the game -- the final fight was probably the most original out of the entire game... at least they did something different. Sheesh.

I will try and get all the treasures, then sell it off.
I beat it a few days ago and I love the extra levels. I'm up to 26/31 treasures so I'll either beat it tonight or tomorrow.

Considering I only ended up paying ~$6 CAD for it I'm very satisfied.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Is it possible to still find this game for 9-15 bucks USD? I can't seem to find the game anywhere besides Gamestop, and its 30 dollars US... :(

Top Bottom