• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS/GBA owners: Must buy Drill Dozer

flammie

gururoji said:
My 2 cents:

I have no idea why this game is so hugely hyped. Honestly it looks just like something I would totally flip for, and I tried hard to be super excited about it, but I played through it was fairly underwhelmed the whole time.

Here's a few points that I keep coming back to:

* The way the game moves feels to me like a turn-based game maker trying to make a real-time action game. I never got the feeling like it controlled all that fluidly and it's weird sometimes how drilling will "snap" you into position (this is fairly helpful from a gameplay standpoint, but the way it looks and feels was weird to me). Feel is a fairly subjective thing in a game, but of all the other platformers I played on GBA (Mario Advances, Megaman Zero, Klonoa, hell, even DK King of Swing), this had the strangest, most disconnected feel to me. Reminded me of old PC shareware.

I think the biggest flaw in the game is the framerate, it feels like it is sub 30fps and a lot closer to 15fps than to 30.

* The optional training level you can go to after the first introductory level throws pretty much every basic control and game-mechanic twist at you right away. The effect of this? I played that level, thought the game was freakin' awesome, then played through the rest of the game and was bored by the fact that the other levels weren't as challenging or innovative. The one secret level I did unlock was pretty out-there and challenging too, but basically I played 2 outstanding optional levels and plodded through the rest.

I think all of the secret levels are fun and challenging, more so on hard mode. In fact, the whole game is much better in hard mode. It actually gave some oldschool vibes, where you had to do certain parts over and over again until you knew the RIGHT WAY to do it.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
polg said:
so if the rumble pack goes in the GBA slot... and this is a GBA game...

you do the math...
if the ds rumble pak goes in the gba slot anyway... and this a gba game with rumble... wouldn't it make sense to make it double as a ds rumble pak?

gururoji

flammie said:
I think the biggest flaw in the game is the framerate, it feels like it is sub 30fps and a lot closer to 15fps than to 30.

That sounds like what I'm talking about, I thought about mentioning framerate, but it was hard for me to tell if it was really framerate or if it was the way things are specifically programmed (collision detection being potentially large block/grid based or something, this is based on lmy admittedly limited programming knowledge from the old days).

flammie said:
I think all of the secret levels are fun and challenging, more so on hard mode. In fact, the whole game is much better in hard mode. It actually gave some oldschool vibes, where you had to do certain parts over and over again until you knew the RIGHT WAY to do it.

I bet you're right, and you saying that makes me want to get the other secret levels open. Hard wasn't open from the beginning was it? I probably would have liked the game more if it was....I'm not trying to be a "hard mode" elitist, I just didn't like the way the game teased me with that one early challenging level and then was unchallenging afterwards. It's not something that I think more accomplished action game developers would do...I say either put all of the hard optional/unlockable stuff after the end of the game, or sprinkle it in more evenly.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
The End said:
It's on my list of "GBA games to buy eventually" along with Gunstar Super Heroes, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Minish Cap, and the two Fire Emblem games.
:lol That's the meat of my GBA library right there! Just make sure to put Gunstar at the end of your list.

Im playing it now, so far I love it. It's fun and the music when you get the 3rd gear twist the only good neuron I have
:D

kiryogi

Banned
well. I finally busted open my copy and at first I wasn't too impressed. It's fun but I'm not quite getting whats so awesome yet. Only after trying out the training level did I realize how clever this game really was and I'm still currently enjoying it unlike what someone else said. Also, did anyone get the vibe that the music was done by the adv. wars guy?

Jiggy

kiryogi said:
Also, did anyone get the vibe that the music was done by the adv. wars guy?
No way, considering that AW1 and AW2 have amazing music while Drill Dozer grates on the ears. (Except for the Lv. 3 drill theme.) If anything, the music has more of a Pokemon R/S vibe--except, again, lower quality.

Tiktaalik

I'm bumping this thread because I've been playing Drill Dozer recently, and today it's frozen on me twice, and one time the graphics got glitched up. Has anyone else had any issues with the game? Maybe it's my GBA Micro. I'm going to test out some other games on it later just to check.

gururoji said:
* I really didn't like the fact that your drill starts over at level 1 every time. What fun there was of Level 3 drilling madness is confined to at least the latter half of most levels. In a game that has an interface that allows you to buy upgrades that you keep, I thought it seemed pretty disjointed that your most basic ability is wiped clean at the start of each level. And, if you're going to send me back to square one, at least let me skip the "you got gear #2" animation. That animation was super cool and exciting the first time I hit it, but it's huge bright colored stripes and pump-you-up music only ended up later emphasizing how unexcited I was to get drill level 2 or 3...AGAIN.

Yeah, I really got sick of this. There was no good reason for the drill to be upgraded twice every level. They didn't do enough that was interesting with the drill at lower gears to make the upgrading worthwhile and interesting. And the first time I got the 3rd gear and heard that crazy music for the rest of the level...it was awesome. I was thrilled. But to hear and see that every single time after that...way to wear out the fun of it, guys.

Can someone please help me? I cannot, for the life of me, seem to hit this damn final boss.
I know I have to punch him when he comes down, but I either get hit by the bullets, or I jump or move to dodge them and can't charge the counterattack in time.
I've spent 150 credits continuing so far, and I'm getting frustrated. Any tips?

Ok, I finally beat him. Never mind.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
White Man said:
Drill Dozer is the best new Nintendo property since, well, maybe Pokemon.
well, it is made by Gamefreaks..

And I just picked this up on Saturday. What a hidden gem. Reminds me of the sleeper hit that the original Megaman was.

gstaff

I'll put it to the top of my Gamefly list. I'm already returning World Cup because its a load of crap and my hopes for the US seriously dwindled after today. I imagine Drill Dozer is under 20 bones with the "buy it now," and it sounds like I'll probably buy it.

Drill Dozer am awesome

Also, someone help! I can't seem to beat the part of the secret level (Kuru Ruins, IIRC), where spikes are coming up and you have to climb up by jumping and drilling blocks (the only walkthough that I can find says to simply "go up").

Jiggy

A Link to the Past said:
Drill Dozer am awesome

Also, someone help! I can't seem to beat the part of the secret level (Kuru Ruins, IIRC), where spikes are coming up and you have to climb up by jumping and drilling blocks (the only walkthough that I can find says to simply "go up").
I don't recall exactly which block offhand, but there's one of them near the top, if not at the top, that you're supposed to let the spikes break as opposed to drilling through it yourself.

gjb-sensei

Nintendo invented the pixel...
Picked up Drill Dozer at Circuit City, but haven't opened it yet. I have other stuff to play first.

Hero

Played the first few levels. It's charming and fun, although I found it to be pretty easy.

Hope the difficulty ramps up.

melvoin

Banned
olubode said:
well, it is made by Gamefreaks..

And I just picked this up on Saturday. What a hidden gem. Reminds me of the sleeper hit that the original Megaman was.

Mega Man was a sleeper hit? My memory doesn't quite go back that far, but I do remember Mega Man 2 being a big deal when it came out.

Regarding Drill Dozer, it's a good game, though not one of the best platformers on GBA. Reminds me of Wario Land in a lot of ways. The puzzle-platforming is fun, though other elements, such as fighting enemies, are noticeably underdeveloped. For example, there are way too many of those pointless bits where the scrolling stops and twenty or so grunts flood onto the screen and run right into your drill.

It's a very stylish game, however, which makes it endearing in presentation. The music is noticeably inspired, particularly compared to the soporific noodling of the Pokemon series.

demi

WELL NeoGAF you once again disappoint me. Here I am wanting to play Drill Dozer, and not a single one of you buys me a copy from Circuit City?

YOUR LOSS, if I liked this game I would have pimped it like a certain other title. And when you get your game pimped, copies get sold.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
melvoin said:
Mega Man was a sleeper hit? My memory doesn't quite go back that far, but I do remember Mega Man 2 being a big deal when it came out.

Megaman 1 was a bit of a sleeper. The whole gameplay of using the bosses weapon first appeared there, was a hit with critics and gamers, but just didn't sell a ton of units nor have any big advertising. With 2 and 3, MM became a million seller.

Edit: And Demi, I bought Drill Dozer @ full price. I went to CC today, but couldn't find another copy available.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
demi said:
WELL NeoGAF you once again disappoint me. Here I am wanting to play Drill Dozer, and not a single one of you buys me a copy from Circuit City?

YOUR LOSS, if I liked this game I would have pimped it like a certain other title. And when you get your game pimped, copies get sold.
Drill Dozer sold worse than that...other game, so you DO have a point.

jgkspsx

Well, I've almost beaten the game (I think), and I'm not too enthusiastic. Combat with normal enemies sucks. The art design (in cutscenes etc.) is horrible. The level design is mostly boring and irritating with the occasional burst of genius. The collision detection seems a little too loose, especially where spikes are concerned. Unless I'm missing something, the "treasures" are stupid, not to mention unrewarding for the time it takes to get to them (though the most enjoyable challenges are getting to them). Worst, it doesn't seem to have the spark that would make it great.

The first unlockable level was the best part of the game, so far -- the drill movement mechanic really was fluid and rewarding. The first few bosses were awesome (reminiscent of the old Sonic boss aesthetic), but the missile-launching police bot was aggravating and the prison mecha just tiresome. Drilling through tunnels isn't fun, guys!

So... at this point, I don't really know if I like it or dislike it. I will finish it, and probably complete it 100%, but unless the remaining bonus levels are a game unto themselves, GAF has overhyped this one.

demi

My copy arrived in the mail today, so I will either be the game's saving grace, or the final nail in the GAF overhype coffin.

Not that GAF has a tendency to OVERHYPE THINGS

Seth C

What is different in the hard mode? I assumed the difficulty (damage, health) was ramped up. Do the levels themselves changed? I finished normal with all the treasures, and assumed I really had nothing left to do.

gkryhewy

I haven't played this game and have no interest in it, but I thought you might like to know that it's presently available for $9.99 at bestbuy.com. Credit to CAG.

LINK

EDIT: Oh hell, I bought it after all. Great deal!

Neo Child

Banned
demi said:
My copy arrived in the mail today, so I will either be the game's saving grace, or the final nail in the GAF overhype coffin.

Not that GAF has a tendency to OVERHYPE THINGS

Oh my GOD! It's Bubble Bobble!!

beat it this morning. Not a bad game at all, over much too soon. Water + flying levels sucked, but I got through them. The bonus level for the first area is damn hard. I think it took me about 30 minutes to get past it. Very hard jumping techniques.

what I hated about the training level is that the little "hint" for each technique is after you have to use said technique. who the hell approved that kind of level design?

No one has really mentioned the codes that are in the game so you can change outfits and other stuff. I didn't even know such a thing existed until I went to GameFaqs. How did Game Freak expect anyone to figure these codes out without help?

Jiggy

bune duggy said:
No one has really mentioned the codes that are in the game so you can change outfits and other stuff.
Probably because they're not particularly worth mentioning.
When I read about them I was expecting, you know, actual costume change (and was practically up in arms that Gamefreak put it in Drill Dozer with one game, yet Pokemon, a series begging for alternate outfits, doesn't have it yet), not a one-frame change to Jill's outfit on the main menu.

Top Bottom