• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Green Man Gaming's Witcher 3 Keys 'Invalid', According To Forums

majin_pol

Neo Member
"You" have been warned by cdpr no excuse to buy from them, face consequences! I saw many people did not get key yet.... poor souls.

komplanen

have CDPR deactivated they keys?

I don't think so. Most likely the source GMG got their keys from isn't as trustworthy as "getting keys straight from the publisher" as GMG claims they always do. GMG tells customers with this problem to sort it out with GOG directly which would indicate GMG is washing their hands and trusting their keys. Who's at fault here... well we'll see.

B_Signal

Now, I'd definitely never do this, taking multiple attempts before realising my error, but are we sure they aren't trying to put a gog key in to Steam. When I did it with my cdkeys key that's the error I was getting

I mean when a friend was doing it. Not me, I wouldn't be that stupid

Jawmuncher

Now, I'd definitely never do this, taking multiple attempts before realising my error, but are we sure they aren't trying to put a gog key in to Steam. When I did it with my cdkeys key that's the error I was getting

I mean when a friend was doing it. Not me, I wouldn't be that stupid

It's happened before so wouldn't even surprise me.

ViciousDS

Banned
I don't think so. Most likely the source GMG got their keys from isn't as trustworthy as "getting keys straight from the publisher" as GMG claims they always do. GMG tells customers with this problem to sort it out with GOG directly which would indicate GMG is washing their hands and trusting their keys. Who's at fault here... well we'll see.

wait....so they told those key owners to go to another source for support? Yes, this doesn't sound right of GMG. But, people were kind of warned. Awkward, they are usually an amazing source of keys.

Lothars

If anyone is at fault I believe It's CDPR with how they acted towards GMG before, GMG has been nothing but legit.

Gintoki

I'm assuming GOG wanted to be the only retailer to sell the game digitally (outside of steam)? Or are there authorized GOG key resellers of W3?

Corpekata

Banned
This is why I don't buy in retail CD key situations. Even if the business is good like GMG there's a lot of moving parts and things can get screwed up easily and since they're dealing with physical keys it could take a while to remedy.

Zakalwe

Banned
Could just be an error their end sending out dupes?

Does the "invalid" error mean the key has been used or is just straight up not a proper code?

Nzyme32

I'm assuming GOG wanted to be the only retailer to sell the game digitally (outside of steam)? Or are there authorized GOG key resellers of W3?

GOG did not give digital keys to anyone other than game producing platforms - Steam, Uplay, Origin. No 3rd party sellers were given key since GOG wanted to drive sales towards itself

Storm360

I guess either someone at GMG fucked up and gave out duplicate keys, or CD Project Red deactivated them, which wouldn't surprise me considering the last incident with GMG

My guess is that GOG didn't want GMG using the retailer margin to undercut GOG so they didn't get any, and GMG made a deals with other retailers and resold their keys.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Doubtful but is a possibility. They could have just supplied duplicate keys which from my rough memory they have done before.

Yeah it happens. Bamco sent out retail copies of Dark Souls 2 on PC with duplicate keys :lol

RyudBoy

I bought The Witcher 3 from GMG and they weren't able to deliver me a key. I asked for a refund and they granted it almost immediately, which shocked me since I had been waiting for the key all day, but when I emailed them asking when I would get it I received no communication whatsoever.

Anyway, suffice to say, my first time dealing with GMG wasn't a pleasant one. I guess I'll finish the XB1 version (with it's shitty frame pacing issues) first and then re-purchase the PC version later.

drunkenbaker

Neo Member
I don't know where the idea that GMG are buying their keys from some shady source is coming from. It's far more likely that they're just bulk buying retail stock at a discount and sourcing the keys from the packages, hence the publisher being listed on GMG as Bandai Namco instead of CDPR. That would also explain why they didn't have them too far in advance.

My key came from CDKeys and it's clearly sourced from a scan of a retail insert, so it's not an uncommon practice.

Dunkley

I don't know where the idea that GMG are buying their keys from some shady source is coming from. It's far more likely that they're just bulk buying retail stock at a discount and sourcing the keys from the packages, hence the publisher being listed on GMG as Bandai Namco instead of CDPR. That would also explain why they didn't have them too far in advance.

My key came from CDKeys and it's clearly sourced from a scan of a retail insert, so it's not an uncommon practice.

CDPR

If anyone is at fault I believe It's CDPR with how they acted towards GMG before, GMG has been nothing but legit.
Nothing but legit

Except for the fact they went against their own company values and would have never told you so had CDPR not said anything, thus being deceptive to their customers

But ya, totally legit

gdt

They sent me a blank email with no key, and no key in my account. Put in a ticket and they say they are working on it.

Bummer.

They just adviced people to be careful with those keys, since they were from an unknown source. How did cdpr act wrong? GMG acted like a little kid, selling the game anyway, after cdpr turned them down.

night13x

So as I understand it -

GoG decided to not do business with GMG - and GoG HAS that right. It is their game, they are the dev and publisher, they can decide who they do business with.

GMG threw a tantrum and decided to completely undercut GoG by buying from "another source" and thus taking all the profit after keys bought for themselves and GoG doesn't see a penny of it.

GoG caught on, warned the company (and the people...though I understand if people were unaware) but GMG did not care.

GMG distro keys and customers are reporting they are not working. GMG is being shady with their solutions. Some reports say "go talk to GoG" about our unauthorized keys we sell.

It really sucks that customers are the ones that are hurting due to GMG greed and horrible business practices in this matter, but I honestly smell a giant lawsuit against GMG coming, and CDPR isn't afraid of going after people (see: W2 torrent story).

Honestly, I'm a GMG customer from time to time, but I do hope GMG gets slapped on the wrist on this one.

mrlion

They just adviced people to be careful with those keys, since they were from an unknown source. How did cdpr act wrong? GMG acted like a little kid, selling the game anyway, after cdpr turned them down.

Acted like a kid? GMG even offered to go to Poland to talk to CDPR and they refused, if anything the childish behavior come from CDPR

shink

So as I understand it -

GoG decided to not do business with GMG - and GoG HAS that right. It is their game, they are the dev and publisher, they can decide who they do business with.

GMG threw a tantrum and decided to completely undercut GoG by buying from "another source" and thus taking all the profit after keys bought for themselves and GoG doesn't see a penny of it.

GoG caught on, warned the company (and the people...though I understand if people were unaware) but GMG did not care.

GMG distro keys and customers are reporting they are not working. GMG is being shady with their solutions. Some reports say "go talk to GoG" about our unauthorized keys we sell.

It really sucks that customers are the ones that are hurting due to GMG greed and horrible business practices in this matter, but I honestly smell a giant lawsuit against GMG coming, and CDPR isn't afraid of going after people (see: W2 torrent story).

Honestly, I'm a GMG customer from time to time, but I do hope GMG gets slapped on the wrist on this one.
Lawsuit for what exactly?

Chariot

Acted like a kid? GMG even offered to go to Poland to talk to CDPR and they refused, if anything the childish behavior come from CDPR
They talked for months. CDPR probably didn't want to waste their or GMGs time with a personal visit.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
CDPR warned you GMG customers about this and you guys simply didn't listen and went ahead with your purchase anyways almost if you were saying "Nope screw you CDPR I got to save me a few bucks" so now you reap what you sow.

Chariot

CDPR warned you GMG customers about this and you guys simply didn't listen and went ahead with your purchase anyways almost if you were saying "Nope screw you CDPR I got to save me a few bucks" so now you reap what you sow.
To be fair, GMG was perfectly reliable until now. Its note like this shady things at G2A or cdkeys. The whole situation is strange.

But yes. You were informed and you made your decision. Now live with it.

Krakn3Dfx

I've gotten the "invalid key" situation on Steam, GMG, and UPlay, it's more visible to people this time because of the GOG/CDPR situation, but GMG will get it sorted, these things happen.

Just pulled up my GMG Key and redeemed it on GOG. No problem whatsoever.

I'm sure its not unheard of for this stuff to happen on every new release, this one just has a microscope on it because of the "unknown source" stuff.

It's bussines. If cdpr decides not to do bussines with them then that is their choice, gmg has to accept it and that's it.

DocSeuss

Not really an issue if the affected users get replacement keys, imo.

Edit: or a full refund.

A full refund would be surprising, considering the hell GMG put me through last time I tried to get one.

Choosing not to do business with someone is something any business is allowed to do.

As best I understand it, GMG got butthurt about this and is now selling potentially illegitimate keys that they got from other regions, refusing to admit where they got the keys from, and generally being pretty untoward about this.

They've changed a lot over the past year or so. Not cool any more.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I hope that the people affected can get a refund or a new key.

Unfortunately I had a similar experience with GMG last year. I bought the WH40K DoW Collection for 30 bucks when it was on sale and it was a duplicate key. After emailing their support team and politely asking for a refund while providing screenshots with proof they denied me a refund or a replacement key and basically stole my money.

Never bought again from them since.

vg260

So as I understand it -

Much of this is incorrect. GoG is not the developer, and the devs already have made money off the keys GMG is selling. Essentially GMG bought legit keys and are just reselling them, just like anyone who bought a key and decided to resell them to someone else.

See here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1041781

Just like it's business if GMG runs around them and undercuts their price.

Then GMG broke their own rules - go to their website and read "all our keys are from producers, not 3rd parties" (something like that is there) - and now some clients are fked up

I wonder maybe some nvidia keys that GMG is selling has typos - rofl ..

shandy706

So as I understand it -

True

GMG decided to buy from "another source" and possibly take a loss in order to sell one of the hottest games coming out. GOG (CDPR) still got paid for the keys.

Fixed That For You

GoG caught on, didn't know where GMG got the keys, and decided to tell people not to buy them as they didn't know where they came from.

Fixed That For You

GMG distro keys and a SOME customers are reporting they are not working. GMG will probably try to find out whats up, and with time, replace them or refund them. If CDPR is in fact killing the keys, legit paid for keys, then CDPR are in the wrong. CDPR shouldn't dictate what one does with a legit key after it is sold.

Fixed That For You

It really sucks that customers are the ones that are hurting due to GMG having to find another way to get copies of the game and GOG (CDPR) fussing about and (although unlikely) killing legit keys.

Fixed That For You

They should get "slapped on the wrist" if they bought and sold legit keys and it's just a distribution mistake, or some other problem?

It's probably something as simple as duplicates going out. I'd hope CDPR wouldn't harm customers by killing keys.

GOG probably shouldn't have found keys elsewhere to try and sell the game, but they did nothing wrong if they're legit keys. They should, however, have stuck to only working directly with a producer/developer.

Top Bottom