• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Green Man Gaming's Witcher 3 Keys 'Invalid', According To Forums

Wiktor

You have not understood correctly. GoG is not the developer, and the devs already have made money off the keys GMG is selling. Essentially GMG bought legit keys and are just reselling them, just like anyone who bought as key and decided to resell them to someone else.

See here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1041781

The problem with cases like thos is that they're often sellin keys from cheap retail copies sold in poor countries. Which is just plain shady and CDPR and GOG have full right to not agree to authorize the keys from that source if they're not activated in country they were issued to.

Alucrid

Banned
Much of this is incorrect. GoG is not the developer, and the devs already have made money off the keys GMG is selling. Essentially GMG bought legit keys and are just reselling them, just like anyone who bought a key and decided to resell them to someone else.

See here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1041781

"GOG.com (formerly Good Old Games) is a distribution service and publisher for PC games and films, operated by GOG Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of CD Projekt based in Warsaw, Poland"

Pagusas

Elden Member
Did they now.

They've came out and said as much and there is no reason to believe otherwise. CDPR Is not out of any money in this deal, if they say they are they are bald faced lying to their customers to put down another business. The BS about "GOG bought from a reseller so CDPR sees no money from the GOG sales" is crazy. CDPR made the money by selling those keys initially, they do not get to double dip on the same keys.

vg260

The problem with cases like thos is that they're often sellin keys from cheap retail copies sold in poor countries. Which is just plain shady and CDPR and GOG have full right to not agree to authorize the keys from that source if they're not activated in country they were issued to.

We don't know for sure where they got the keys.

DeaviL

Banned
Proof that they bought them from countries who get cheaper games?

Did they now.
Yes

"GOG.com (formerly Good Old Games) is a distribution service and publisher for PC games and films, operated by GOG Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of CD Projekt based in Warsaw, Poland"
Still got their money.

vg260

Hm, interesting. I guess it's open to interpretation as to how strict you want to define who the developer is with GOG being a subsidiary company, but I think the point it that they make their money when they sell the keys initially, not upon redemption. Isn't that how it works?

Proof that they bought them from countries who get cheaper games?

Yes

Still got their money.

So you want proof for people accusations yet u making simple hard "yes" statement without any proof also. whats wrong with u.

And of course keys problem on GMG _ONLY_ (no ubi, origin, steam, humblebundle) is only coincidence here

Just like it's business to get heat for keys that do not work.

Which I agree with completely. Having said that, we've got a 19 post thread on GMG forums, and we've got posters in this very thread saying they've had some trouble on previous releases. I'm not ready to throw a fit yet.

Then GMG broke their own rules - go to their website and read "all our keys are from producers, not 3rd parties" (something like that is there) - and now some clients are fked up

I wonder maybe some nvidia keys that GMG is selling has typos - rofl ..

Honestly, I'm more than OK with GMG breaking their rules in this instance because it benefited me,THE CUSTOMER. I'm not really interested in supporting what appears to be price fixing from CDPR.

Again, I'll freak out if this is more widespread, but so far seems business as usual.

DeaviL

Banned
So you want proof for people accusations yet u making simple hard "yes" statement without any proof also. whats wrong with u.

And of course keys problem on GMG _ONLY_ (no ubi, origin, steam, humblebundle) is only coincidence here

Unless GMG had a special ops team sneak into CDPR and generate some keys,
chances are they're pretty damn legit.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I doubt they'd have legal right to not authorize the key that was bought as a physical release in a different country. What if someone moves from country A to country B before activating the key? Are they supposed to report the address change to CDPR?

Salaadin

While cdpr price fixing is shitty, selling your customers bad keys or not sending them keys at all is also pretty shitty.

I don't know why we have to pick a side when both companies are acting shady.

If I have to choose between one evil or another, I'd rather not choose at all :p

ravn0s

I received an email from GMG but it did not contain a key for the game. I then logged onto my GMG account and I found the key under my game orders. Thankfully the key wasn't invalid and I just finished downloading the game.

Hopefully GMG provides new keys or refunds to people with keys that don't work.

RulkezX

I received an email from GMG but it did not contain a key for the game. I then logged onto my GMG account and I found the key under my game orders. Thankfully the key wasn't invalid and I just finished downloading the game.

Iirc that's always how it works on GMG.

You get an Email saying your game is available and you go to your keys section on the website and get them there.

Which I agree with completely. Having said that, we've got a 19 post thread on GMG forums, and we've got posters in this very thread saying they've had some trouble on previous releases. I'm not ready to throw a fit yet.

Honestly, I'm more than OK with GMG breaking their rules in this instance because it benefited me,THE CUSTOMER. I'm not really interested in supporting what appears to be price fixing from CDPR.

Again, I'll freak out if this is more widespread, but so far seems business as usual.

It ended up opposite - THE CUSTOMERS are in trouble;

vg260

I think that's the big takeaway. GMG need to support their customers no matter if they bought the keys directly from the publisher or they bought them from another legit seller and then sold them to the customers. It's not uncommon for hiccups or delays to occur with game launches, so jumping to conclusions is probably not wise. It hasn't even been 24 hours since the game released. Even if they did goof up on getting keys out, it can sometimes take time to sort.

leng jai

I haven't got my key yet, and only just got a cut and pasted response 10+ hours after my support ticket. Absolutely dire customer service.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

I don't like this line of thinking where it's OK to bypass official sources and perhaps not support the creators of the content at all on the simple premise of saving money (or not paying for it at all).

HOWEVER I can't fault this line of thinking either because after all a customer is most likely to look out only for his himself rather than the interest or benefits of the content creators.

As for myself I rarely buy games on launch windows now but when I do I make sure to buy the game from official sources to make sure I'm supporting the creators of the content.

ShdwDrake

Banned
You can buy the game digitally for PC on Origin, Steam, GOG, Amazon, Gamestop, etc etc and it looks like only the GMG codes aren't working? But its CDPRs fault? Is there a previous thread?

There's like... 7 people in the OP linked thread with this problem, and the thread hasn't even got past one page of replies.

Is this news? Why is this trying to be a thing?

Chariot

You can buy the game digitally for PC on Origin, Steam, GOG, Amazon, Gamestop, etc etc and it looks like only the GMG codes aren't working? But its CDPRs fault? Is there a previous thread?
Yeah. We don't actually know much, some people just like yo imagine what's in tbe gaps.

Basically:
- CDPR didn't give GMG direct access to copies of Witcher 3 after months of unsuccesful talks between the two.
- GMG regardless sold Witcher 3 cheaper than anybody else, including gog
- some CDPR dude told some internet news outlet that they didn't give GMG direct access
- some other CDPR dude gave a warninhgin the CDPR forum that people should be aware that CDPR has no deal with GMG and that they don't know where they got their stuff from
- GMG claims that they got their keys from a secret legit source
- NeoGAF thread appears about that and people argue as usual
- GMG suddenly isn't cheaper than anybody else anymore.
- Today

Lanrutcon

Don't see how this is CDPR's fault. Hell, they even warned the public ahead of time that GMG went renegade.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Both GMG and GOG/CDPR look really bad in my eyes. I don't care who is right and who is wrong. They both handled this situation pretty poorly, if you ask me, and, as always, it's the customer who's stuck in the middle catching the shit thrown from both sides.

Spookie

Gamekeysnow is still selling the game for £30. They are scanning retail copies and selling the code. So if anyone is still having issues and don't want to pay the hillarious mark up you can get it from them.

gatti-man

My email came in last night from GMG. Thanks for buying the witcher 3! (No code) lol. GMG offered me a refund or 40% off my next game so I took the 40% I'll just play destiny until I get sorted out. Not even mad.

If you didn't buy it yet, spend the extra and get it from a reliable source. The game is WORTH it.

I've bought plenty of games from gmg in the past and never had an issue. They normally are reliable. Yeah I wouldn't buy from them at this particular moment for the witcher 3 but overall they have been great in my experience.

Iirc that's always how it works on GMG.

You get an Email saying your game is available and you go to your keys section on the website and get them there.
I have no key in my account. GMG has admitted some people are missing keys.

I don't like this line of thinking where it's OK to bypass official sources and perhaps not support the creators of the content at all on the simple premise of saving money (or not paying for it at all).

HOWEVER I can't fault this line of thinking either because after all a customer is most likely to look out only for his himself rather than the interest or benefits of the content creators.

As for myself I rarely buy games on launch windows now but when I do I make sure to buy the game from official sources to make sure I'm supporting the creators of the content.

The used game market thrives on the idea of not supporting the creator in an effort to save money so I don't think its really a controversial position. We just don't typically see this in Digital PC sales.

And CDPR did get paid for the original sale of the game. They're the ones generating the keys after all so there is no way they didn't get paid.

MUnited83

For you.
Then GMG broke their own rules - go to their website and read "all our keys are from producers, not 3rd parties" (something like that is there) - and now some clients are fked up

I wonder maybe some nvidia keys that GMG is selling has typos - rofl ..
I guarantee you that GMG ain't selling Nvidia keys. 100% sure.

Melter

Just got this email reply:

Thank you for your ticket.

We apologise that due to unprecedented demand for The Witcher 3 from Green Man Gaming, the launch and dispatch of keys to you today hasn't been as smooth as we had hoped. We experienced a glitch in our automatic key delivery system that wasn't attaching keys to emails. Our engineering team are working quickly to rectify this. We're sorry if some of you may have received blank emails from us during this process.

If you have pre-purchased your Witcher 3 key from us, it should be with you within the next 24 hours. If for any reason your key is not with you by 22:59 UTC on Wednesday 20th May, OR if you are not satisfied with this service, we would like to offer you either a full refund, or 40% off your next purchase on Green Man Gaming. Again, we are sincerely sorry for any delay in getting your key to you, and we can assure you we are working hard to deliver the service you expect from us. We know it hasn't been the smoothest process and we will be evaluating what we could have done better for this launch to make sure our service to you in the future is the best it can be.

Thanks again for all of your patience, and apologies again for any inconvenience.

I have placed your ticket on hold and we will update you as soon as we have any news on this situation.

Green Man Gaming & Playfire
Customer Service

--
Looks like they're working on it.

Kiant

Gamekeysnow is still selling the game for £30. They are scanning retail copies and selling the code. So if anyone is still having issues and don't want to pay the hillarious mark up you can get it from them.

Or you can just get a Nvidia promo key off ebay for around £13 like I did :-D.

Lothars

They just adviced people to be careful with those keys, since they were from an unknown source. How did cdpr act wrong? GMG acted like a little kid, selling the game anyway, after cdpr turned them down.
CDPR is the one who acted out of place, GMG tried to work with them but they couldn't have it.

CDPR is the ones who deserve the blame and I lost any trust I had for them. Which means I lost any interest in the Witcher 3 and I hope it loses some sales because of it.

CeePhour

Banned
GMG acted like a little kid, selling the game anyway, after cdpr turned them down.

2 sides to every coin. I'm in the camp that sees GMG as trying to keep their business operating by bringing supply to the demand of the people, all while standing up to CDPR's scummy tactics.

CDPR tries a very anti-competitive move to promote their own fledgling shop, but doesn't have the balls to pull this shit with big daddy Valve. It was purely CDPR trying to screw over other retailers for their own benefit, instead of playing ball with everyone. That's what strikes me as the childish move here. Very high-school undermining bullshit.

Also throwing my anecdotal experience into the key ring: I see key issues with 100% legit anti-virus product keys all the time. Shit happens people. If software worked perfectly all the time a lot of us would be out of work. The fact that some The Witcher 3 keys aren't working is unfortunate, but GMG will still make it right, but unfortunately it takes time.

Salaadin

CDPR is the one who acted out of place, GMG tried to work with them but they couldn't have it.

CDPR is the ones who deserve the blame and I lost any trust I had for them. Which means I lost any interest in the Witcher 3 and I hope it loses some sales because of it.
CDPR aren't the ones who sold non working or non existent keys though

Wow, for real? CDPR had every right to stop partnering with GMG after they were selling second-hand keys. It's CDPR's product, they have a right to decide how and whom to sell to.

GMG is not a person's only recourse. CDPR knows that and acted accordingly.

Reallink

So as I understand it -

GoG decided to not do business with GMG - and GoG HAS that right. It is their game, they are the dev and publisher, they can decide who they do business with.

GMG threw a tantrum and decided to completely undercut GoG by buying from "another source" and thus taking all the profit after keys bought for themselves and GoG doesn't see a penny of it.

GoG caught on, warned the company (and the people...though I understand if people were unaware) but GMG did not care.

GMG distro keys and customers are reporting they are not working. GMG is being shady with their solutions. Some reports say "go talk to GoG" about our unauthorized keys we sell.

It really sucks that customers are the ones that are hurting due to GMG greed and horrible business practices in this matter, but I honestly smell a giant lawsuit against GMG coming, and CDPR isn't afraid of going after people (see: W2 torrent story).

Honestly, I'm a GMG customer from time to time, but I do hope GMG gets slapped on the wrist on this one.

How exactly does GoG 'not see a penny of it', are you saing GMG is completely fabricating their keys with an auto-generating 'crack'?

Wiktor

I doubt they'd have legal right to not authorize the key that was bought as a physical release in a different country. What if someone moves from country A to country B before activating the key? Are they supposed to report the address change to CDPR?
Of course they have legal right. Region locking keys , or any content really, is nothing new. And in such a rare instance that you buy the game immiedietelly before moving then you usually can contact the dev/publisher and either ask for new code or refund.

Alucrid

Banned
Much like Valve themselves did with Half-Life 2?

Yes, very similar.

Wasn't Steam the only platform to get that game on? So it's not that similar. It's just that GMG, unlike other sellers, wasn't going to stick to that 53.99 price tag.

Wow, for real? CDPR had every right to stop partnering with GMG after they were selling second-hand keys. It's CDPR's product, they have a right to decide how and whom to sell to.

GMG is not a person's only recourse. CDPR knows that and acted accordingly.

Uh, CDPR opted not to sell keys to GMG in the first place, which is why GMG had to buy them from another authorized seller.

mclem

Talk about holding a grudge.

Actually, no. I'm fine with it, and okay with CDPR here. Just indicating the similarities.

Besides, unless there's a glut, we've only really heard about a few key issues thus far, so I'm not that inclined to believe it's anything more than a normal fail rate for now.

ShaD321

2 sides to every coin. I'm in the camp that sees GMG as trying to keep their business operating by bringing supply to the demand of the people, all while standing up to CDPR's scummy tactics.

CDPR tries a very anti-competitive move to promote their own fledgling shop, but doesn't have the balls to pull this shit with big daddy Valve. It was purely CDPR trying to screw over other retailers for their own benefit, instead of playing ball with everyone. That's what strikes me as the childish move here. Very high-school undermining bullshit.

Also throwing my anecdotal experience into the key ring: I see key issues with 100% legit anti-virus product keys all the time. Shit happens people. If software worked perfectly all the time a lot of us would be out of work. The fact that some The Witcher 3 keys aren't working is unfortunate, but GMG will still make it right, but unfortunately it takes time.
It may sound strange to some people here, but look on the other side. What other choise devwloper/retailer have to do to stop buying cheap in one region and sell it with huge margin at lower price then developer themselves?
1) fixed price everywhere, and people in poor countries cannot mostly afford them. We've been there already
2) Verions of game which will contain only local language, so game cannot be sold in other place? - we've been there.

Instead they make a price compared to our earnings in country, and when comanys like GMG using easter markets like Ukraine byy mass amount of keys using VPN CONNECTIONS and probably BOTS, where GOG was selling gMe VERY CHEAP LESS THEN 20$( low income for gog ) so they can play legaly, and then GMG sold it in america for 30$ for example, they earn 10$ per each piece, but GOG lost a sale difference between 20$ and i.e. they price in US 40$.
From My point of view GMG with they stance for not revealing their source only points out for they shady source

Top Bottom