• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we stop mobile games shitposting please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
XOggeJy.png

I already posted about this on today's honeypot topic "Hate mobile gaming?" which of course is filled with comments like the above picture. The stigma against mobile gaming in general is strong and unlike similar comments about other platforms, like that topic proves, those kinds of comments are pretty much tolerated with no consequences whatsoever.

But why? Everyone knows that there are quality games on each and every platform and 200 Flappy Bird clones shouldn't change that. Mostly it's the app stores (on Android or iOS) problem, not a "mobile" problem. "Touch controls are shit" is not very convincing argument when there clearly are games which fit touch controls very well. "I don't like mobile because handhelds" is either fear mongering, "I like X because of Y" or just being in denial about modern gaming. "All games are F2P pay-to-win" doesn't hold absolutely true either, as there clearly are many non-F2P and P2W games around. Are the most popular ones F2P? Possibly, but so what?

Why should shitposting about mobile games be allowed?

-----------------------------------------------------------
SIX MONTH UPDATED - WINTER 2015

Six months after, let's re-check our situation

Gaming, first page, CTRL+F -> Mobile -> First thread

I'm not ready.
I will never be ready for fucking mobile.
Even with Nintendo.

Don't see myself ever taking mobile gaming very seriously.

"The mobile game future".

That will be the day I will give up on my favorite hobby.

I think you are counting the chickens before they hatch, in that I doubt that mobile gaming will be a major thing. I mean it is nice to have a good amount of adopters who use it for everything (note I am typing this from my phone). But the one issue I see is that market is drowning in titles which is quite worrying.

Mobile means phone ? If yes, then I am a definitely ready
to continue playing my older consoles.

If it is hand-held gaming on dedicated consoles, like the PS Vita, then I am already in and I love it.

mr-jones-c-s-u-masterbate-o.gif

I'll never embrace this so called 'mobile future' you speak of.

There is no mobile future. Mobile is a separate business that caters to a different audience than us.

Edit: I changed "industry" to "business" for clarity.

I'm not going to get my hopes up too high if Pokémon Shuffle is any indication of what's to come.

You'd think that I dived very deep on that topic, those were picked straight from the first 15 posts.

I don't think we are quite there yet.

-----------------------------------------------------------
May 2017

It seems that NeoGAF is now relatively mobile gaming shitposting free, good job ya'll!!!!!!!!!!

Robin64

Mobile games are mostly shit.

A couple are decent, but man is it hard to find them, especially if you don't have a community like GAF to help.

BibiMaghoo

It isn't is it? I assumed it's the same rules with shitposting about any platform, it's just that lots of people don't like mobile gaming, myself included. I don't go out of my way to shit on it though, so there is that.

Edit: Lol ^^

georly

How else can I let everyone know that I'm afraid all the games I love will be taken away from me because mobile games will take over?

But seriously, there are some good mobile games out there, but most of them are garbage because the system facilitates letting anyone throw anything out there to try to make a quick buck. And those garbage games give good games a bad name. It's all history repeating, and ideally some systems will be put into place to keep the good games separate from the bad games. We won't get a video games crash like we did in 83 because people buy phones for more than just games, but some better curating could help out.

kaioshade

There is such a huge signal to noise ratio for mobile games. Dedicated consoles have shit games, sure, but for every decent game on mobile, there are so many more games that are complete garbage.

When you have to wade through so much shit to get to a decent game, you get posts like those.

trixx

I don't play mobile games but they aren't that bad and I don't understand why people have a big problem with it.

SerTapTap

Is there really a relevant distinction between hyperbole (all mobile games are shit) and the truth (Greater than 95% of mobile games are shit) in this case to make the distinction explicit?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
99% mobile games are trash.

Would you say mobile phones were a mistake?

OP said:
"Touch controls are shit" is not very convincing argument when there clearly are games which fit touch controls very well.

Yes it is. Go get GTA3/Vice City for phones and play it with touch controls. Come back to me when you have to ham-fist control the game when it was clearly designed for controllers.

Phones gaining controllers is nice, but no one is going to carry those around. Which leaves Flappy Bird clones or something like Trauma Center that does touch and only touch.

mp1990

Banned
I don't hate mobile games, i just don't give a fuck about them. In my case, i just prefer to play games on consoles, and if i don't have them with me, i'll just play on my 3DS. But i totally can see why people hate them; not only the affected the entire industry in a terrible way, imo, but 90% of the games are trash, and mostly of the good ones are ports (AA, FF and DQ are examples), and obviously, P2Y mechanics, that i won't say that exists only because of mobile gaming, but certainly grew a lot because of it. Of course, there's some hidden gems, but there's so few of them that i couldn't say that they save the mobile games for me.

Elandyll

Banned
On one hand, drive by shitposting really isn't condusing to any quality discussion, that is true.
Also, "some" mobile games are actually quality games, well worth purchasing and playing.

Now, otoh, it is also true that many if not the vast majority of publishers regard mobile gaming as a low investment, low risk, high profitability cash cow market onto which to unload unkempt amounts of awful, dime to death, free to wait trash games.

That is just the way it is, and I can hardly be mad at gamers who think the whole thing is a bad joke really, because far too many people who buy into it allow the status quo to go on and actually probably get worse ove time. There is also probably a prevalent feeling that mobile gaming is attracting publishers who would otherwise invest in making traditional games worth at least their own (physical copy) weight in $.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Mobile games are shit.

99% mobile games are trash.

Mobile games were a mistake. They're nothing but trash.

Mobile games are mostly shit.

A couple are decent, but man is it hard to find them, especially if you don't have a community like GAF to help.

I'll stop saying mobile games are shit when that statement isn't true.

As a mobile games dev: Guys pls ;_;

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

Yes it is. Go get GTA3/Vice City for phones and play it with touch controls. Come back to me when you have to ham-fist control the game when it was clearly designed for controllers.

Phones gaining controllers is nice, but no one is going to carry those around. Which leaves Flappy Bird clones or something like Trauma Center that does touch and only touch.
That post specifically said "which fit touch controls really well" and you bring up GTA? Come on.

SerTapTap

Isn't that because there are so many mobile games?

The problem goes far beyond that, absolute quantity is not directly relevant to the relative quality of any given title. That's cart before the horse, there are so many mobile games because the market does not (at present) particularly reward quality and thus quantity is focused on, many games are shot out and they just take down the ones that don't work out.

The inherent problem is that the mobile ecosystem seems to reward shooting out 9 bad games and 1 good game far more than it rewards putting out two really good games in terms of return on investment. It's basically gambling for developers. The ultimate gashapon.

Why'd would you bring up a game designed for console as a reason as to why touch controls suck?

Javin98

Banned
It's hard for mobile games to not get a ton of hate on a hardcore gaming forum. I thought everyone is aware of this.

cjp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom