• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Korea to focus on fostering console game industry over next 5 years: culture ministry

0cef91c3-93a4-4210-bb11-60a589e99ed0.jpg

First Vice Culture Minister Jeon Byeong-geuk /Yonhap

Korea will focus on fostering its console game sector over the next five years as part of efforts revive the country's game industry, the culture ministry said Wednesday.

Under the five-year plan to promote the game industry, the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism will work to expand the country's share in the global console game market by 2028, aiming to reduce its heavy dependence on online and mobile game platforms.

Korea has the fourth-biggest game industry in the world in terms of sales, posting a combined revenue of 22.2 trillion won ($16.04 billion) in 2022, driven by the growth of online and mobile games.

However, the country's share of the global console game market is only 1.5 percent, which constitutes 28 percent of the entire industry, with mobile games accounting for 44 percent, according to the ministry.

Also, more than 40 percent of gamers in North America and Europe play console games, the ministry added.

The government said it will help local companies cooperate with major global console game companies, like Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo, to develop blockbuster titles.

It also plans to provide support to independent game companies for the development of a wider range of video games. (Yonhap)

Source - TheKoreaTimes

Last edited:
This is great!

Can't wait to see what Korean devs start contributing to the industry when they truly get going.

Korea has insane talent! Movies like Parasite and shows like Squid Games show that they are able to create stories that resonate with international audiences.

Seeing that now trickling into AAA gaming is fucking mint. We're in for a treat, folks!

Varteras

Gold Member
If you were wondering why Sony has been investing in China, Korea, and India, this is why. Those countries are wide open for a console manufacturer to set up shop and grow their install base. Now they actually have the Korean government assisting them in that endeavor. Even if not specifically for Sony's benefit.

Fbh

Keep them coming.
I've long been saying Korea could easily be the next Japan if only their devs started making games beyond grindy MMO's. Lies of P and Stellar Blade have been great examples of this.

Now PLEASE make a new Kingdom under Fire game that isn't an MMO!!!!

If you were wondering why Sony has been investing in China, Korea, and India, this is why. Those countries are wide open for a console manufacturer to set up shop and grow their install base. Now they actually have the Korean government assisting them in that endeavor. Even if not specifically for Sony's benefit.
If the government is getting involved in Korea, I would actually be surprised if Sony has much of a presence with Korean studios. There is still a lot of animosity between the two countries, mostly because Japan never reconciled past aggressiveness in invading Korea. Rise of the Ronin was completely banned in Korea, which is a Sony published game

I kind of think the Government is getting involved so Sony won't be able to. Hope I'm wrong. Sony is great at cultivating talent. And Korea probably has the highest gamers per capita in the world. Mostly all on PC tho

Varteras

Gold Member
If the government is getting involved in Korea, I would actually be surprised if Sony has much of a presence with Korean studios. There is still a lot of animosity between the two countries, mostly because Japan never reconciled past aggressiveness in invading Korea. Rise of the Ronin was completely banned in Korea, which is a Sony published game

I kind of think the Government is getting involved so Sony won't be able to. Hope I'm wrong. Sony is great at cultivating talent. And Korea probably has the highest gamers per capita in the world. Mostly all on PC tho

You know what you must do. You're going to have to fuck Korea's culture minister.

violence

If the games are good I'm all for it.

Im hoping they have much more to offer than just stellar blade types.
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds is the only other Korean made game that I’ve played. They’re fully capable, they just gotta get in the game.

Last edited:

nial

It looks like SIE was way ahead of everyone regarding this outcome for major publishers in Japan and the West.

I've seen/heard lots of korean media.... This can't be a good thing. Everything they do is derivative of stuff that Japan/USA/Hong Kong already did far better decades ago. And christ - their TV dramas are somehow even worse than modern anime.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I hope Korea is not woke and we can get more video games with nice looking female characters, for example.

Asia is on a roll though it seems. There's an Indonesian game called Fallen Legion and it's pretty good.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
The government said it will help local companies cooperate with major global console game companies, like Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo, to develop blockbuster titles.

Does this mean that a new hardware manufacturer is coming? They didn't say compete with EA, Ubisoft, Capcom, Square, Bamco, etc. Who make software, they name the 3 hardware manufacturers.

Top Bottom