• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR not discussing Cyberpunk 2077 until 2017

Makes sense with CD Projekt Red just finishing the immense Witcher 3, but still we have confirmation its at least 2 years away as its not this year or next.

The CEO added that CD Projekt will use the profit from the release to mainly finance new projects, including two Witcher add-ons and a completely new game entitled Cyberpunk 2077.

"We hope and we are certain that Cyberpunk has even bigger commercial potential. It is too early to talk about it, though. This year, and the next one will be the years of the Witcher," Kicinski said.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSL5N0YG1AW20150526?irpc=932

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, I got the impression that the two team idea fell apart somewhere during production of The Witcher 3 and basically everyone got thrown on making that.

Tenebrous

So much for bullets being the beauty.

But it makes sense. Didn't they later come out and say the CGI trailer for 2077 was to help find talent to come work for them? I bet there were no shortage of applicants given the love that genre has.

Dennis

Banned
Good, good, this pleases Dennis. Because

1. The graphics will better in the future.
2. I might actually have finished The Witcher 2 and 3 by then.

Pagusas

Elden Member
as sad as I am to see it a long way off, I'm going to take the time to read the Witcher books (best place to get them at?) and play the Witcher (loved it a few years ago, just never finished it) and Witcher 2 (Never got a chance to play it).

By then hopefully a directors cut/Enhanced Edition of Witcher 3 will be out and I can enjoy that (with a beefier PC built by then too).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So much for bullets being the beauty.

But it makes sense. Didn't they later come out and say the CGI trailer for 2077 was to help find talent to come work for them? I bet there were no shortage of applicants given the love that genre has.

Yes, it's not uncommon to announce games very early to pick up staff if it's notably different than what you normally do.

For some other examples, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Thief, the new Mirror's Edge, and Criterion's new game were all announced rather early for this reason.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
3 years away? Gameplay trailer at E3. =)

It'll be interesting to see what they can do away from The Witched IP.

Fine. Make their $$$ from W3, then invest 100% into Cyberpunk. I don't care if it takes 3 more years to come out. Make a great game.

Until then Deux Ex and the next Fallout will hold us over.

Oh, and PC please.

It'd be pretty awkward for them if the game came out close to 2077 and things weren't remotely cyberpunky in the real world.

Maybe we won't get a console port this time.

I hope...

After their statement on how console money made Witcher 3 possible I don't think that'll be the case.

Anyway, this is good that they want to focus on post-launch support for W3, I like that. Also, I don't mind if the game takes two or three years to get here. We'll (hopefully) have Deus Ex next year so there's that.

This is why it's 2077 actually. It's based off of Cyberpunk 2020, but that year was a bit close compared to what was going on.

Should have kept it 2020 and just gone the route of games like Fallout or Blood Dragon by creating a 'future' world based on the 'future' of the past. Part of the charm of Fallout is its retrofuturism being based on the 60's idea of the future, and Blooddragon has that 80's neon-future look.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, they gave the impression that it was in production, when it really wasn't. Still a long, long way away.

As for The Witcher, Hearts of Stone is due in October and Blood and Wine for Q1 2016. I wonder if they're planning another expansion pack on top of that?

Khasim

After the masterpiece that The Witcher 3 is, I will pretty much buy anything this company releases unless it's a hardcore turn-based strategy game. But RPGs are their pedigree, so I doubt something like that will happen.

TW3 has already surpassed Red Dead Redemption and World of Warcraft in my games-of-the-forever list. I can't imagine them pumping out something even better than that, and at the same time I think if anybody can top Wild Hunt, it's them.

Fox318

as sad as I am to see it a long way off, I'm going to take the time to read the Witcher books (best place to get them at?) and play the Witcher (loved it a few years ago, just never finished it) and Witcher 2 (Never got a chance to play it).

By then hopefully a directors cut/Enhanced Edition of Witcher 3 will be out and I can enjoy that (with a beefier PC built by then too).

Audiobooks are on Audible and the books you can get from almost anywhere.

jett

D-Member
That's kind of a shame.

I have to wonder about the point of their Witcher 3 expansions. There's an absurd amount of content in this game, I don't see myself really needing DLC right now. :p

Percy

Banned
Waste of everyone's time announcing this game when they did then. Should have waited until Witcher 3 was done before announcing it.

Courage

I'm fine with that, especially if they're aiming to create a world as expansive and detailed as The Witcher 3's. Just satiate me with some worthwhile Witcher 3 content in the meantime.

Wit this CDPR committed 2 of the gravest gaming sins.

Maybe we won't get a console port this time.

I hope...

Nah, after having tasted the console money, they will put it out on every relevant system. Witcher 3 was made thanks to consoles, would be stupid if they chose to limit their scope and artistic vision by limiting it to pc.

I don't mind waiting if it can deliver on the ultimate Cyberpunk experience. I would love to have a game where the city interaction is at or above Yakuza's level of city interaction.

ml_cyberpunk2077_16_1200.jpg

Sijil

Fine. Make their $$$ from W3, then invest 100% into Cyberpunk. I don't care if it takes 3 more years to come out. Make a great game.

Until then Deux Ex and the next Fallout will hold us over.

Oh, and PC please.

The game was announced for PC before any next gen consoles.

Yeah, they gave the impression that it was in production, when it really wasn't. Still a long, long way away.

As for The Witcher, Hearts of Stone is due in October and Blood and Wine for Q1 2016. I wonder if they're planning another expansion pack on top of that?

Exactly what I was wondering. He mentions the next 2 years being the "year of the Witcher" but the only DLC they have planned for 2016 is supposed to be coming right at the beginning of the year.

I can't help but think that statement may hintat more expansions. If they are even close to the quality of the base game I'll buy them instantly

Dennis

Banned
Given the incredible reviews for The Witcher 3 and the steadily rising quality of games going from

TW1 --> TW2 --> TW3

CDPR will probably shatter all opposition with Cyperpunk 2077.

Red Hood

Banned
Announced in 2012, at least three years until release which would mean there's 6 years between announcement and release... if not later. I hate when that happens. Just announce the damn game when it's halfway done or something. They barely started The Witcher 3 before they announced Cyberpunk 2077.

Disappointing but best to be patient for this one. Let them make it as good as it can be.

Has the potential to be unbelievably epic, considering what they've just shown themselves to be capable of.

It no being this year or next means at least 2 years away, not 3. Just pointing that out.

But, yeah not surprising. I am curious to see how CDPR handles a sci-fi RPG considering their experience is with western fantasy.

Damn, they shouldn't have announced it so early! After the Witcher 3 I'm looking forward to anything they make in the future. Hope Cyberpunk's world is as (hopefully more) immersive than W3's.

Apathy

As long as they take their time and don't rush anything I can wait. If they take the care they took with the witcher and can reach the scale they have talked about, this will be great.

Top Bottom