• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Ah yes mother fucking Ryu. I think I might buy Roy dlc too, because he might have the potential to be the only good sword character besides Shulk. And I remember playing him in melee because my sister always wanted to play Marth..

Yoshi truly is a demon.

qrdQ0Us.jpg

Cronox

Banned
If Roy has a different moveset (unfortunately the victory video doesn't show anything besides his neutral and up b) he might be interesting. Hoping for that, a clone would be completely worthless. Maybe they'll take some inspiration from PM's version... just... anything besides bringing back Melee Roy. I don't think I'd even buy him if that's the case.

Puruzi

Banned
If Roy has a different moveset (unfortunately the victory video doesn't show anything besides his neutral and up b) he might be interesting. Hoping for that, a clone would be completely worthless. Maybe they'll take some inspiration from PM's version... just... anything besides bringing back Melee Roy. I don't think I'd even buy him if that's the case.

His forward smash is different. His upsmash also has a completely new animation. Hoping he got falcofied and only the specials are similar but his normals and smash attacks are different

edit:actually not sure that's probably not his upsmash but FSmash is def different

TWILT

Banned
I wake up and what's with all these Smash leaks, wtf Sakurai

Ryu looks hype, actually might consider secondarying him, but Roy is like...the worst FE rep they could have picked. -_- Oh well, probably not getting him day 1 and hey, assuming he's still a Marth clone (looks pretty similar to his Melee version), it's more free wins. :3

Boney

Banned
]Alright guys, let's see if we can get the fight done at 10 am pst, I know it's short notice.

If you can't let's try to set another time please :)

Oh yeah , mega hyped about Ryu, hope he's good cause he's main/secondary material for me

j3wOqC5.png

Guys look at that range, wait why isn't it working :(

Cronox

Banned
His forward smash is different. His upsmash also has a completely new animation. Hoping he got falcofied and only the specials are similar but his normals and smash attacks are different

edit:actually not sure that's probably not his upsmash but FSmash is def different

Ok I missed the fsmash. In the video we see his neutral b, up b (frozen mid-animation) and fsmash. Specials look similar. Fsmash has a different animation than Marth/Lucina but that in itself isn't enough to go by.

Also, for all the talk about "oooh they brought the ink effect," Ryu's down b as seen on the top left here is basically a counter. So he's another character with a counter, along with Roy. A third of the cast seem to have counters in this game...

Also, no fucking custom moves. DLC characters are fucked in customs play. As someone who likes playing with customs I consider these characters incomplete.

Cronox

Banned
If Ryu's down b is actually like a Focus Attack, maybe. If it's a regular counter like the 12 we already have, then I am mildly annoyed.

It looks like it could be a unique counter if it uses SF mechanics, but nevertheless, it is a counter. Though it will create an attack at the end even on whiff/absorbing nothing, as Ryu hits a stage hazard with it in the victory video.

Boney

Banned
What other special was he gonna get. Donkey kick would be a lousy special and it's much better suited for an fsmash (seriously that'd be godly)
And what else is there for Ryu for a special?

It looks like it could be a unique counter if it uses SF mechanics, but nevertheless, it is a counter. Though it will create an attack at the end even on whiff/absorbing nothing, as Ryu hits a stage hazard with it in the victory video.

I think it will work more like Charizard's rock smash. A strong move with super armor to soak up an attack.

Cronox

Banned
People speculating on the ever-optimistic /r/smashbros that all 3 of these characters could release tomorrow. Sounds like a poor decision as their dates should be staggered to maintain interest, unless they have more characters in the works than we thought. Personally, I'd prefer them staggered rather than released all at once if the next DLC character is far out.

But it's true that being able to datamine so much implies that these characters are ready to go.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I am so pissed about the whole lack of customs thing. Part of me thinks Sakurai wants tourneys to abandon customs and will use DLC characters without them as leverage.

It just gimps these characters hard.

FSLink

Banned
People speculating on the ever-optimistic /r/smashbros that all 3 of these characters could release tomorrow. Sounds like a poor decision as their dates should be staggered to maintain interest, unless they have more characters in the works than we thought. Personally, I'd prefer them staggered rather than released all at once if the next DLC character is far out.

But it's true that being able to datamine so much implies that these characters are ready to go.

I mean it's possible that they aren't done balance wise.

But I do think they're likely done and that they'll stagger the releases.

;____________________;

I am so pissed about the whole lack of customs thing. Part of me thinks Sakurai wants tourneys to abandon customs and will use DLC characters without them as leverage.

It just gimps these characters hard.
Or maybe customs were never intended to be used competitively and were meant to be as casual as equipment and that's why none of the DLC fighters have them? This is also a guess, but seeing as the US is the only nation exploring a customs meta seriously...

FSLink

Banned
Or maybe customs were never intended to be used competitively and were meant to be as casual as equipment and that's why none of the DLC fighters have them? This is also a guess, but seeing as the US is the only nation exploring a customs meta seriously...

Probably. But I enjoy what options they give to characters, even if some of them are jank.
I'd rather have a customs on meta with more potential options than a balanced customs off meta. Though that might be the Mahvel influence where I enjoy more "broken" stuff.

Boney

Banned
The other Lucas pic with everyone flying is great

Why can't dlc characters have customs for casual ffa's then?

It's a travesty either way you look at it

Cronox

Banned

Sakurai and devs consult with the Japanese community. Japanese community doesn't care about customs. "Hey Sakurai, we've got a lot of work to do, can we cut anything as a time saving measure?" "Yeah, cut customs, no one [in Japan] seems to care about them anyway."

I mean, it's obvious. All the original characters have customs. The dev team is just more focused on bringing out DLC as quickly as possible than making and attempting to balance/bug test another 8 custom moves per character. If they were a US based team consulting with the US community they might think differently. But they aren't.

Unfortunately it seems difficult for the US community to communicate with Japanese dev teams still, outside of Hideki Kamiya's antics.

The other Lucas pic with everyone flying is great

Why can't dlc characters have customs for casual ffa's then?

It's a travesty either way you look at it
I worded it very poorly, my b. Meant to say it might not have been a priority compared to just finishing the characters. Why it wasn't a priority I don't know, but it's clear customs don't seem to be a necessary component to Sakurai.

]Alright guys, let's see if we can get the fight done at 10 am pst, I know it's short notice.

If you can't let's try to set another time please :)

Oh yeah , mega hyped about Ryu, hope he's good cause he's main/secondary material for me

j3wOqC5.png

Guys look at that range, wait why isn't it working :(

Woah woah I just woke up sorry! Are the other two here?

Boney

Banned
Woah woah I just woke up sorry! Are the other two here?
Forgot to say am to solarknight, but he answered. Haven't seen Kei pop up after he said he could at 10 am.

It was pretty short notice so I'm not surprised we couldn't get it done, but we should set a time for today.

I worded it very poorly, my b. Meant to say it might not have been a priority compared to just finishing the characters. Why it wasn't a priority I don't know, but it's clear customs don't seem to be a necessary component to Sakurai.
Right. I think it's because you can get them out faster and do less work. But it's still so disappointing. Seems like he thought customs were a great idea when designing Palu and the Mii's and then as he was working on the other characters customs he just went, ehh fuck it, just make it so there's no hit box but recovers more distance.

With the DLC he's probably, well nobody uses them (because of the terrible unlocking and them being off limits in certain modes) so why go through the trouble of making them.

Boney

Banned
I am here guys, sorry for the delay, whenever you're ready

also nice to see Roy and Ryu got confirmed
I'm gonna have lunch now, I can be on in around 40 minutes or so. PM solar knight please, I think I only said 10 pst so he might Think we're setting up for tonight

SoldnerKei

I'm gonna have lunch now, I can be on in around 40 minutes or so. PM solar knight please, I think I only said 10 pst so he might Think we're setting up for tonight

alright, gonna pm him

pm sent, enjoy your lunch Boney!
gonna be lurking here with thread open, so just post whenever you guys are ready

Top Bottom