• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo vs Sega sales in the 16-bit era (1988-1996)

Celine

First of all, despite the "versus" in the thread title, this thread has nothing to do with silly console war, so keep the trash talk out of it. Thanks.

A few months ago a small group of sales-agers started a thread with the goal to retrieve shipment data for old console systems (think Dreamcast and earlier):
Retro Sales Age Thread

Sell-through data isn't really viable for old consoles because there are accuracy problems thus shipment data is the preferable accounting method.
For Nintendo is available their detailed shipment data from 1983 to 2013 (and beyond) since Acquamarine asked them the information.
For Sega, NEC, SNK, Panasonic etc. though is a bit harder since those manufactures went out of the console business many years ago.
The solution was finding old issues of some of the biggest japanese videogame publications (Famitsu, Beep! Mega Drive) which reported in some of them the shipment data provided by the manufacturers at the time.
Easier said than done but thanks to BKK, JumpingRyle and Benjamin Steven contributions we finally have a clear vision of the shipment transition during the 16-bit era (with some exception like Turbografx shipment in America...).

SNES vs Mega Drive (Genesis)
KxRXdti.png

DGhmI4D.png

b9Br4QO.png

Game Boy vs Game Gear
mgMFyqR.png

vmPSyo4.png

FdwAH1C.png

Bonus:

PC Engine CD Rom^2 vs Mega CD
NVL95V9.png

Sources (click on the links):
Nintendo hardware shipment data from 1983 to 2013.
Shipment data by Sega for fiscal years ending 89/03, 90/03, 91/03, 92/03 and 93/03 as reported in 1/1994 issue of Beep! MD (Page 110, published in 01/01/1994).
Shipment data for fiscal years ending 92/03 and 93/03 in Famitsu issue 221 page 8.
Shipment data for fiscal years ending 94/03 and 95/03 in Famitsu issue 339 page 8.
Shipment data for fiscal years ending 95/03 and 96/03 in Famitsu issue 392 page 8.

I hope to not have made any calculation mistake :)

donny2112

Really cool data. Always get caught up in the U.S. SNES vs. GEN numbers that it's surprising to see that worldwide, it was a much clearer difference.

Edit:
Also it's possible that no current-gen home console in Japan will be able to match Genesis' numbers there. :lol

Celine

Really cool data. Always get caught up in the U.S. SNES vs. GEN numbers that it's surprising to see that worldwide, it was a much clearer difference.
The "international" shipment comparison between SNES and Mega Drive is somewhat similar to the situation between Xbox 360 and PS3 worldwide (both neck a neck).

Matesamo

Man, what a wealth of interesting information. SNES killed in Japan, much wider margin than I expected.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Nintendo only really beat Sega in japan, rest of the world is really close, surprising.

MrT-Tar

Even though the Mega Drive's dominance over the SNES is well documented in territories like the UK and Brazil, I'm still surprised at just how close the sales were outside of Japan.

Crew 511A

It really makes Sega's decision to abruptly kill their 16 bit business and focus on the Saturn even more perplexing. Realistically, Sega could have thrown some decent stuff to the Genesis /MD up until 1997 or so.

Top Bottom