• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Matter: Season 3 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that at some point, it turns out that one of them is really just an evil bastard. At this point they're trying to redeem all the characters and it's just made the show infinitely boring.

It's gonna turn out 1 is the only originally evil one out of the crew, and he was sent in by one of the corporations to ensure they all continue to follow orders before his memory was wiped.
That or 2 will turn out to be evil.

Jackpot

Banned
I thought I'd seen some pretty awful, forced, and chemistry free romantic subplots on TV, but this one somehow takes the cake.

And I'm torn between the Android jealousy thing being kind of funny and it being insanely stupid.

Agreed, but at least they're setting up all the character goals even if in a slightly contrived way (6: find the General, 5: find out what the key is for and who killed her friends, 4: Find the Empress, 3: Find the guy who sent the killbot, 2 and 1 are a little more vague).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's gonna turn out 1 is the only originally evil one out of the crew, and he was sent in by one of the corporations to ensure they all continue to follow orders before his memory was wiped.
I'd be okay with it turning out like that.

Kin5290

Agreed, but at least they're setting up all the character goals even if in a slightly contrived way (6: find the General, 5: find out what the key is for and who killed her friends, 4: Find the Empress, 3: Find the guy who sent the killbot, 2 and 1 are a little more vague).
The thing is, where are they going to go from here? They don't really know each other, so "your problems are my problems, because we're crew" isn't really a thing. If they get together on that basis it'll seem pretty contrived. And One and Two are still undeveloped and have no motivations.

Hell, what's leading any of them to actually follow up on their memories, anyways? Four could hide in some corner of the galaxy somewhere, or he could lead a bloody rebellion (with no resources) against his stepmother to clear his name The choice would be obvious there. Same with the others.

The show's spent way too much time setting up the basic characters (most of whom are still pretty weak). It would probably have been better off trimming the cast. Cut One entirely. Combine Three and Six (asshole freedom fighter, played by Roger Cross?). Cut Five and transfer her stored memories to the Android. Then you'd have more time on the remaining characters and also moving the serial plot forward by an appreciable degree by the end of the first season.

Enosh

I don't understand why three keeps using that piece of shit gun

it's way too big and it doesn't do shit apart from knock people back a bit, 3 pistol shoots were enough to put the android down, if he got the drop on her with an assault riffle like he did with that oversized taser that whole thing would be done in seconds

I think one was some kind of undercover cop

I hope that at some point, it turns out that one of them is really just an evil bastard. At this point they're trying to redeem all the characters and it's just made the show infinitely boring.
look at that god of war kratos thread from a few weeks ago, most people don't want actual bad guys be the protagonist

-Deimos

"It was strictly for blackmail purposes" heh. So if One really did steal Jace's identity, I guess that kind of throws the clone theory out the window.

Jackpot

Banned
I completely forgot a fresh clone would have that effect. Though I did anticipate 6 rigging the shuttle to explode.

Was it 3 in the news report 1 was looking at in the end?

Lyonaz

Is the show getting a second season? I'm enjoying the show quite a bit.

#Team3 for being the best out of the group.

RS4-

Just finished, good ep, and holy shit, that ending.

A little early, but I do hope that it gets renewed as well.

Just watched up to episode 6. This is officially my favourite sci fi show in a while. The character interactions are great, there's a ton of possible material, and most of the characters (aside from the young girl, she over acts) are pretty solid actors. I hope this gets renewed.

As for Killjoys.
I still really haven't warmed up to it (outside the derelict episode). I like Dutch, I like Johnny, the universe is decent. I just don't really like Davin and he's a huge focus of the show. He's not the best actor and his character just feels too forced. I almost feel the show would be better without him.

Defiance has also increased in quality this season. All in all I'm really impressed by Syfy's dedication.

Kin5290

This show is fundamentally flawed because the showrunners seem to have no idea how to forge all their different character backstories into some kind of coherent, forward facing plotline. It's never been explained why any of the crew would actually give a shit about their tragic backstories. They don't know these former comrades/lovers/wives/fathers. Those people are strangers to them, and they would have none of the emotional response that the show is trying to promote.

Also, I didn't know if it was possible but One actually becomes a worse character after this latest review. He's a corporate overlord, what the fuck is he doing disappearing off the face of the earth and going undercover with some plastic surgery to track down his wife's murderer, instead of sending a thousand PIs, bounty hunters, and assassins to do that for him? How many people do you think lost their jobs after the company stock dropped like a rock after it became public that the CEO suddenly vanished?

Killjoys remains a vastly superior show, but apparently some of its EPs come from Orphan Black so competence is to be expected.

Blackage

I'm really enjoying this show, ratings look decent enough so here's hoping for a season 2, it's higher then 12 Monkeys was which also recently secured a second season.

Blackage

I like everyone on this show except One. And sometimes Two.

That's because 1 is the straight man we're supposed to relate to, and 2 is a walking pair of tits/sex appeal, and neither of them have had a terrible amount of character development yet compared to the rest of the crew in the past 3 or 4 episodes.

Hopefully we get more on these 2 in the next few episodes, and they embrace their quirks which have made the rest of the crew interesting.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm enjoying it so far and will continue to watch. It's not the best space sci-fi show but at this point I'll take what I can get.

Sh1ner

I am hoping 1 is the traitor as we got everyones backstory but hers.
Or
its some corp and its gonna make everyone goodies which will be a terrible switch.

Kin5290

I am hoping 1 is the traitor as we got everyones backstory but hers.
Or
its some corp and its gonna make everyone goodies which will be a terrible switch.
One's the annoying Nice Guy douchebag. Two is the Hark a Vagrant "Strong Female Character"/Hey Look Titties who can also Shoot a Gun who's busy being a raging hypocrite.

God, this Space Japan subplot is cringey as fuck.

Korigama

Speaking of the Space Japan stuff, still have no idea why Four killed that guy after going through the trouble of dressing his wounds and then shielding him in the shootout near the end of that episode.

Anyway, as for the past two episodes, One and the men of the crew in general, minus Six (the only not in favor of the idea during their secret meeting), managed to demonstrate just how poor their judgment could be. Bored and no one seems to be talking about the show anymore, so I'll do a rundown...

-crew of the Raza is presented with another blind op, Two doesn't like it and declines
-One and the other men of the crew meet in secret and vote 3:1 in favor of taking the job, with One being appointed to tell Two about their decision to override her on the matter
-they meet where they were told to, finding out that they would have to work with a group of four other mercenaries for the job, with the added surprise that they can't take weapons with them when they go
-leader of the other mercenaries turns out to be a creep who keeps making passes at Two, leading him to get his ass kicked too badly for him to participate in the operation and Five needing to take over for his part in opening the door aboard the research station they're heading to
-another red flag after Two had to get a pair of the mercenaries she was working with (incestuous siblings, apparently?) to quit beating on an already subdued station employee
-an android stationed outside the door that the other team needed to get into is left unmentioned, leading Five to have to take him down with the charge they needed to open the door after the men get tossed around, requiring her to improvise and redirect the juice stored up by the enemy android to open the door instead
-surprise, surprise, the other four mercenaries betray the crew of the Raza after completing the assignment, concluding that they could just take the reward for the assignment, collect the bounties on them from the Galactic Authority, and keep their ship for themselves after Android gets put out of commission (seems to happen a lot with her) via a shock stick taken from the research station security
-Two gets tossed into the airlock by the mercenary leader, Wexler (or whatever), threatening to drop her then the others out of it one-by-one if they don't give them the password to open the door in the cargo hold where the thing they stole was being stored; Three tells him, only for Two to get spaced anyway
-the remaining crew is locked behind the cargo password door, with One chosen in order for them to beat any additional useful information out of him, bringing out Five once they start losing patience
-cue Wexler and the bald guy with him initially threatening to torture Five in front of One, only to go full moustache-twirler as Wexler and his crony threaten to rape Five
-a problem with the ship necessitates the mercenaries getting Five's help to figure out how to fix it, requiring someone to go outside to do so and leading the brother of the incest siblings to volunteer
-incest bro gets wrecked offscreen, causing him to float away into the infinite void of space, Two gets back onto the ship through the airlock and looks anything but human before taking on her regular appearance
-incest sis gets mad at Five and takes out her anger on her before getting killed by Two
-Galactic Authority soldiers board the ship, all get mowed down by Two before bald guy shows up to shoot her, only to get shot in the back by Five
-Wexler gets thrown into airlock by Two, resulting in reversal of previous scenario where he either tells her the changed door password to let out the rest of the crew or get spaced after Five figures it out; he tells her, but Two kills him anyway
-Android tells Two that she's an engineered lifeform with nanites comparable to her own, with the means to have created anyone like her not officially existing, and would likely be hunted down and destroyed if anyone found out
-the men deliver the stolen item to the people who asked for it and receive payment, those it was delivered to using it in an experiment that goes out of control and DESTROYS THEIR ENTIRE PLANET, with the Raza barely managing to escape
-none of this would've happened if One had listened to Two

In short, One's kind of a screw-up.

Enosh

wow, they just managed to remove any kind of tension from the show that doesn't involve shooting two into the sun

Kevin

Really enjoyed this season and through the final two episodes were well done. Surprised so few people on here seem interested in this show. It's been awhile since we've had a good space show and I feel like we've finally got one.

Ushay

I generally enjoy sci fi shows, but this isn't grabbing my attention. The acting is cringeworthy, I guess shows like The 100 have spoiled my expectations.

Jackpot

Banned
Beginning wasn't so good. They'd just come off a job to get back into a corp's favour and ended up coming the closest to death so far and not in their favour, and so they jump at a job to do the exact same thing?

Also not a fan of Wil Wheaton. Felt more like he was there not because he was a good fit for the character but so they could go "Look, it's this guy! Remember him?". Amanda Tapping was a good fit for her character in Killjoys. Dr Weir was serviceable.

The finale was really poor and a lot of the characters reverted to what they were in the opening episodes. No redeeming features at all. It's like one of those early-season filler eps whipped up to fill a gap after the budget runs out.

Kin5290

I haven't watched the finale yet but the action choreography and direction in ep 11 was all kinds of atrocious. While the fight against the female merc was just generically bad, the fight against the three armored soldiers was so awful with quick, close cuts, poorly done mook chivalry, and lack of continuity (including the third soldier completely disappearing from the screen).

Also not a fan of Wil Wheaton. Felt more like he was there not because he was a good fit for the character but so they could go "Look, it's this guy! Remember him?". Amanda Tapping was a good fit for her character in Killjoys. Dr Weir was serviceable.

The finale was really poor and a lot of the characters reverted to what they were in the opening episodes. No redeeming features at all. It's like one of those early-season filler eps whipped up to fill a gap after the budget runs out.

I sort of enjoyed it, the whodunit aspect was fun to watch although I agree, the characters all being deeply suspicious of each other was very weird and I thought they were all drugged by Wil Wheaton or something, it felt very much like one of the classic scifi tropes of "crew turns on each other due to virus, fights back against it at the end".

Still interesting enough for me to want to watch season 2 of this and Killjoys, although I prefer the latter show.

GavinUK86

I loved that finale. Both episodes we're fun. I had a feeling
it was Six that was going to turn out to be the traitor though, even if it doesn't make that much sense right now

Negatives - I really hate Wil Wheaton, I just can't stand that guy. I actually liked the character he was playing, just not the actor portraying him. I've also had a problem with the actress playing Two through the entire series. She's a really poor actress and most of her scenes are cringe worthy and I didn't like how many threads were left hanging, Killjoys had the same issue. The finales feel more like a mid-season finale.

Positive - I like how Five is standing up for herself now and the banter between One and Three was absolutely hilarious. The Android kicking some serious butt was awesome! Her arc was pretty cool to watch unfold. It was cool to see a more colourful planet this time too, most of the season has been inside the ship or some grimy station or woodlands.

Hopefully they get a second season, I'd love to keep watching these guys. Maybe
Six isn't a traitor and there's a longer con going on than we don't know about
. Give the team a bigger budget so they can expand the universe a bit, maybe even have that crossover with Killjoys some people have hinted at recently.

When they started talking about White Holes all I could think of was:

AOL6QLK.gif

I loved that finale. Both episodes we're fun. I had a feeling
it was Six that was going to turn out to be the traitor though, even if it doesn't make that much sense right now

Hopefully they get a second season, I'd love to keep watching these guys. Maybe
Six isn't a traitor and there's a longer con going on than we don't know about
. Give the team a bigger budget so they can expand the universe a bit, maybe even have that crossover with Killjoys some people have hinted at recently.

I'd have to imagine it has to do with six's motivations. He probably made a deal to get info on the one dude who was responsible for the terrorist attack. I do not think he is the one responsible for the memory loss though. It almost certainly was five's doing. I imagine five wiped their memories to more or less reset two in a state where she was not so prone to violence and probably to give everyone including herself a second chance.

I'd have to imagine it has to do with six's motivations. He probably made a deal to get info on the one dude who was responsible for the terrorist attack. I do not think he is the one responsible for the memory loss though. It almost certainly was five's doing. I imagine five wiped their memories to more or less reset two in a state where she was not so prone to violence and probably to give everyone including herself a second chance.

She wiped their memory to make them forget the plot to kill Six. At least I thought that seemed fairly obvious? And I thought we didn't use spoiler bars after airing?

SmartBase

Slogged through a few episodes of this at a friend's house, it's godawful. One should be jettisoned out of an airlock along with whoever wrote the rest of these anime-quality characters.

Setzer

awesome news on Killjoys and Dark Matters getting renewed, both shows deserve it. Expanse coming up in a month now too, its Sci Fi heaven!!!!!!!!

It's nice to see some good, original Sci-Fi programming on the SyFy channel! Seems like it's been a while. For a while there they were pushing shows like Ghost Hunters, Fact or Faked, Destination Truth, Treasure Hunters, etc. and I had pretty much given up hope we'd get another show like Battlestar Galactica on the network. But this past year they've introduced some really good stuff like 12 Monkeys and now Dark Matter and Killjoys....and hopefully Expanse will be good as well. I think the network is finally moving in the right direction.

It's nice to see some good, original Sci-Fi programming on the SyFy channel! Seems like it's been a while. For a while there they were pushing shows like Ghost Hunters, Fact or Faked, Destination Truth, Treasure Hunters, etc. and I had pretty much given up hope we'd get another show like Battlestar Galactica on the network. But this past year they've introduced some really good stuff like 12 Monkeys and now Dark Matter and Killjoys....and hopefully Expanse will be good as well. I think the network is finally moving in the right direction.

Yeah the President of the SyFy network said last year in many interviews it was a huge mistake turning to lighter topics and in the meantime stuff that would have been in their domain like Walking Dead or Game of Thrones ended up being the huge mega blockbusters they want. So they seem to be trying hard to turn that around, and its working so far, at least for me.
http://io9.com/syfy-basically-admits-they-screwed-up-1651974076

Behind the scenes I believe the previous exec in charge, Bonnie Hammer, was the one who decided the network should cater to wider audiences and is the one who brought in all the ghost shows, wrasslin, etc. As usual with people who screw things up, she got promoted up and up and is now head of the entire parent company, NBC Universal or something I think.

I like this show

Except for xilan

Why the hell are they in space with swords and old style Japanese clothing?

There was the star wars 36 home so earth existed at some point

It just aggravates me so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom