• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My (temporary replacement) Macbook has a weird, random, restarting issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now unlike this thread which is about my actual macbook pro, my cousin was kind enough to let me borrow his spare macbook pro while the other one is left in limbo. But this one, even being a newer model, has a weird issue. At a any certain totally random moment, almost eveerything on the right side of the toolbar (battery, date & time, etc) will disappear, the computer will apparently freeze, the ticker will show up, the ticker I presume we see at startup (and I quickly took a photo to show)

11418370_10153435042542244_882227666_n.jpg

and then the macbook will randomly restart! And when it does I don't get an error message or anything like that, like this page suggests - I don't get anything that tells me it was shut down improperly or anything like that. it restarts as if it was done normally, except whatever I was doing before hand was unsaved.

Anybody know what the problem is?

rezuth

What model? What are you doing when it happens? If you leave it on for a long time without doing anything will it still occur?

What model? What are you doing when it happens? If you leave it on for a long time without doing anything will it still occur?
late 2013 retina, and i think i'm usually on chrome. here, another, forum, youtube. and i don't know if it still occurs from and if left on for while without doing anything

Saganator

I don't know much about Macs, but if it isn't your laptop and aren't able to do the things you need to do to fix it (reinstalling OS), there isn't much anyone can do to help. Tell the owner it needs to be fixed.

I don't know much about Macs, but if it isn't your laptop and aren't able to do the things you need to do to fix it (reinstalling OS), there isn't much anyone can do to help. Tell the owner it needs to be fixed.
they're probably going to think it's something I did to the macbook.

can i take it to the apple store even though it isn't mine?

FStop7

Banned
Does it have Trend or any other anti-virus installed? I had problems with my Macbook Pro rebooting due to kernel panics because of the virus scanner.

takoyaki

I'm having a problem right now were my mbpr is randomly restarting as well, but with the error message after the restart. The only thing that made it run stable again(for now?) was formatting the SDD and reinstalling OSX clean. But maybe one of those ideas will help you:

- update everything installed to the newest version
- disk utility - verify and repair disk / permissions
- shift key boot (Safe mode, see if the error happens there as well)
- Hardware Test / Apple Diagnostics, hold D while the Macbook is booting (this should tell you if it's the hardware)
- other ideas I read about but haven't tried yet: reset user's permissions, run the OnyX cache cleaning routine, SMC Reset, PRAM reset

Good luck!

edit: also check your battery (in "About this Mac"), how many cycles, is there a "replace battery" message, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom