• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

giga

NlW9WuO.jpg

L8sudgW.png

Headline Features:
  • Design: Yosemite's headline feature is an overhauled design, inspired by iOS 7, while still maintaing the feel of the traditional desktop.
  • Notification Center: A new Notification Center gives easy access to upcoming events, reminders, weather, and more. Developers can extend this further with widgets from the Mac App Store.
  • Spotlight: A brand new Spotlight search provides a larger window for your search results. In addition to finding things on your Mac, Spotlight now searches the web (like Wikipedia), Maps, and other sources.
  • Continuity: A new feature called Continuity connects your Mac and iOS device in a number of new ways, allowing you to make and receive phone calls from your Mac, send and receive text messages on your Mac, continue your work between devices with Handoff, and create an instant hotspot (from your iPhone’s cellular connection) right from your Mac.

Other Notable Features:
  • AirDrop with iOS: AirDrop now works between Mac and iOS.
  • Full screen button: The green button now takes the app full screen, eliminating the need for an extra full-screen button in the toolbar.
  • Batch rename: Quickly rename a set of files in the Finder. Select the files and choose Rename. You can also add custom text and numbers to each filename.
  • Mail Drop: With Mail Drop, you can send messages of up to 5GB.
  • Messages: Mute or leave conversations, see all attachments, send soundbites, and share your screen
  • Peer to peer AirPlay: Peer-to-peer AirPlay in OS X Yosemite lets visitors to your home or office quickly and easily connect their Mac or iOS device to your Apple TV without using passwords or connecting to the Wi-Fi network.
  • iCloud Drive: Store any file in iCloud and access it from your Mac, iPhone, iPad, or even a Windows PC.
  • Longer Netflix playback: With energy-efficient native video playback for Netflix, Safari lets you watch Netflix videos for up to three hours longer than before.
  • Close tabs on other devices: In [Safari] Tab view, you can close tabs that are open on another device.
  • Unit conversion: Spotlight now lets you convert units of measure, currency, and more, right from the search field.
  • Log in with Apple ID: You can use your Apple ID to log in to your Mac, so you only have to remember one password.
  • Updated system sounds: Many of the system sounds have been updated in OS X Yosemite so they sound clearer.
  • New system font: OS X Yosemite has a modern, easy-to-read font throughout the system that looks great on a Retina display.

56sFj2S.png

General Requirements:
  • OS X 10.6.8 or later
  • 2GB of memory
  • 8GB of available space

Supported Models:
  • iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
  • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
  • Mac Mini (Early 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
  • Xserve (Early 2009)

Handoff and Instant Hotspot support:
  • MacBook Air (2012 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (2012 or newer)
  • iMac (2012 or newer)
  • Mac mini (2012 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)

If you're having trouble with Continuity: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5458

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yay!

Edit: My only request for topics like this is when you do "headers" you should take into account that a lot of people use dark mode which makes dark text hard to read. Put a white shadow under the text or something so it's more visible.

Milennia

Waiting for US store launch, can't wait to make calls form my computer.

A big thing for me is missing texts and calls because my phone isn't near me at the computer.

Quick

Banned
Nice. Subscribed.

Gonna need to update the OS X apps thread with some new witty title (and content!).

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Batch rename: Quickly rename a set of files in the Finder. Select the files and choose Rename. You can also add custom text and numbers to each filename.

This... This right here.. I've been waiting since freaking 10.2 (my first experience with OSX on the school newspaper) for this.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
I just need to know if it will mess up my windows 8 boot camp partition before I upgrade. I started to install the public beta and it messed it up, took me ages to get it back.

The Other Notable Features should be the Headline Features because they're a hundred times more interesting and useful. Put me and my coworkers on the list of haters for the ios-ification of the desktop UX.

HUELEN10

Anyone knows of Trim enabler works on it without a hitch? Gotta wait for that first for the sake of my SSD.

I have complete, irrational excitement for this feature. I can already make/take calls on my iPad via iOS 8 and I love it.

Yep. By far my most anticipated feature. Means I don't have to keep my phone near me when I'm on the couch w/ my laptop. Or I can respond to a text on my iPad and just leave my phone in the bedroom charging.

antipode

Reading through Siracusa's review right now. I always love these - I learn something new not just about Macs, but about operating systems in general and the design philosophies behind them.

giga

Yay!

Edit: My only request for topics like this is when you do "headers" you should take into account that a lot of people use dark mode which makes dark text hard to read. Put a white shadow under the text or something so it's more visible.
Oh sorry. I'll update it when I'm back home.

NekoFever

Anyone know the best procedure for upgrading to iCloud Drive? My phone is on iOS 8 and I haven't upgraded because I wanted to keep syncing with Mavericks.

Do I install Yosemite, switch to iCloud Drive on my Mac, and then do it on my phone? Or does the phone recognise the change automatically?

Ninja Dom

Nice OT.

I was on the Public Beta with a lot of the other posters above. Still on PB6 as I type this. Was an interesting ride but I won't be participating in next years Public Beta if there is one.

But yeah, iMac 27" Late 2009 and Yosemite works sweetly. I am missing out on some of the new tech features (AirDrop to iOS, Handoff, Continuity). But phone calls on Mac work nicely and the new iMessage is a heavily used feature for me.

Still using the default Yosemite desktop wallpaper.

Negatives? Start up/Boot up is much longer than Mavericks. The startup loading bar isn't accurate. New Safari takes a little bit of getting used to (but is much better overall). Immediately makes looking at a Mac still on Mavericks or lower seem "OLD".

Laekon

Been using the beta since it was available and besides the full screen button nothing is really different to me. The mail app still sucks and my 2013 13" rMBP takes longer to boot. Safari is better but you don't need an OS update to make a browser better.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Hoping for substantial performance improvements on my late 2012 MBP. All of the iOS integration stuff may as well not exist as far as my usage is concerned, but I'm sure it will be lovely for people who use iPhones and iPads.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh sorry. I'll update it when I'm back home.
Haha, no problem man. It happens all the time. Some people forget dark mode exists. A simple white shadow could probably help quite a bit, if only just bandage the problem. (Not like you could do anything other than add a white box behind the text and make it look ugly.) Once you find a good enough solution, use it for future OTs.

Maiar_m

I don't know if I'll update straight away. I use my MBP daily for work, and I can't do a clean install nor risk an issue :(

itxaka

Defeatist
Full screen button is the worst idea ever. I want to maximize my screen, not to just use one.

I hope rigthzoom updates soon.

MBR

Banned
How painfree is it usually to do an upgrade on Mac hardware? I've only had Mavericks on my 2013 Air this far: Should I do a clean install or not bother and just upgrade?

Whogie

Waiting impatiently.

Full screen button is the worst idea ever. I want to maximize my screen, not to just use one.

I hope rigthzoom updates soon.

I've been using BetterSnapTool for fullscreen that mimics Window's Snap feature.

But the green button as it is now makes more sense than it did. Before it would just go to some unspecific recommended size.

OS X Yosemite review at The Verge (8.9/10) : http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/16/6974157/mac-os-x-10-10-yosemite-review

Edit:

This is still a PC operating system, made for devices with mice and keyboards and trackpads. It feels outdated in places – the whole idea of the "desktop" just feels pointless, and saving and organizing files is still more complex than it should be in the age of limitless searchable cloud storage — but it’s true to what Apple believes in.

GOOD STUFF
  • Continuity is really impressive
  • Nice, cleaner look
  • It's free!

BAD STUFF
  • Notifications still suck
  • Some new features are hard to find
  • The "desktop" probably needs to die

LOL

How painfree is it usually to do an upgrade on Mac hardware? I've only had Mavericks on my 2013 Air this far: Should I do a clean install or not bother and just upgrade?

Very pain free, but it's always best to do a clean install, which takes some time.

itxaka

Defeatist
Waiting impatiently.

I've been using BetterSnapTool for fullscreen that mimics Window's Snap feature.

But the green button as it is now makes more sense than it did. Before it would just go to some unspecific recommended size.

Yeah, it was still stupid before and ia less stupid now. At least rigthzoom worked on 10.9. I'm sick of managing my windows to take advantage of the space

Top Bottom