• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

jts

...hate me...
is it live yet
is it live yet
is it live yet
is it live yet
is it live yet
is it live yet
is it live yet
is it live yet

GAF, I wanna do a clean install and save all my stuff on my mavericks before I upgrade to Yosemite.

How can I go about doing that? :)

Apple pls.

8sPwHlG.gif

did the verge review really say the desktop needs to die?

I've finally gotten to the point of using the entire breath of OS X, and enjoying the surprising improvement in performance and battery life longevity with each update. They just need to update the file system so fucking around with partitions isn't a scary operation. HFS+ needs to die

Magnus

Bummed that Handoff and Instant Hotspot both won't work on my 2010 MBP. This thing still performs super well with an SSD in it. No incentive to upgrade for years.

How could they be right? What would be improved by removing the desktop?
I'm always cleaning out the files on my desktop, because what's the point of this backdrop I can drop things into?

By not having one, iOS feels better because photos go into your photos. Documents are where they should be. Apps know where to look for things.

jstripes

Banned
It's a strange thing for them to be so focused on, but are they wrong?

I don't see any Mac users screaming for something different. Windows 8 was dumped on a community that also wasn't asking for something different, and look what happened there.

Apple's obviously got ideas they're toying around with in labs, they'd be dumb not to, but they're not going to make any major changes along those lines until they know they have it right and the time is right.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm always cleaning out the files on my desktop, because what's the point of this backdrop I can drop things into?

The mere fact that you use it shows that is has a use, no?

I find it useful as a default location to temporarily put things.

What would you propose the default view be? A full screen version of Finder or something?

Get'sMad

Bummed that Handoff and Instant Hotspot both won't work on my 2010 MBP. This thing still performs super well with an SSD in it. No incentive to upgrade for years.

yeah I'm on a late 2009 MBP and after putting just a SSHD and doing a clean install on it with Mavericks last year it still runs really great. Retina MBPs are sexy as hell but mine still does everything I need it do and does it really good still.

Vire

By not having one, iOS feels better because photos go into your photos. Documents are where they should be. Apps know where to look for things.

I have temporary files that I place on the desktop all time.

I download a video from Gamersyde, boom goes to the desktop, watch and then delete.

Vire

That's all really the same behavior as the Downloads folder.

Why remove functionality that is useful for some people.

Clicking finder, then looking for the download folder and then clicking the file I want is a lot less intuitive and easy as simply clicking the file that's on the desktop.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't miss it on any of my other devices.

But other people most certainly will miss it if it were removed from OS X. No reason to remove functionality from OS X and make sure it's fool-proof. That's partially why iOS and iPads exist.

Why remove functionality that is useful for some people.

Clicking finder, then looking for the download folder and then clicking the file I want is a lot less intuitive and easy as simply clicking the file that's on the desktop.

I imagine he's picturing a situation that's closer to iOS, where the default view would be a grid of apps or something. There would then be a "documents" app where everything categorized as a "document" is stored by default.

Furyous

How big is the download?

My machine is ready for this. I can't wait to mess around with the new OS. The power consumption settings should help me tremendously.

It's a strange thing for them to be so focused on, but are they wrong?

he doesn't really iterate on why we should get rid of the desktop metaphor, Windows 8 tried to move away from the desktop metaphor and failed horribly.

I like what Apple has achieved, underlying frameworks that span OSX and iOS with different presentations. Microsoft had tried to make one metaphor for all devices. As much as it's new and different it did not fit the traditional users that only wanted to use a mouse or track pad as means of input.

It seems almost old fashioned but, i am ok with this iterative updates to the core platform. The biggest change in OS X and iOS in the next ten years is when the development language completely discards the legacy of ObjC.

Aldebaran

I'll tell you a secret: in John Siracusa's review, there's a hidden link in the words "flat circles", in the "new look" section.

Top Bottom