• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars:The Old Republic - Knights of the Fallen Empire E3 trailer

Cystm

Youtube

Release date: October 27th 2015

Official Info

Knights of the Fallen Empire marks a renewed focus on BioWare-style cinematic storytelling in Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. Your character will become the Outlander, a veteran of the Great Galactic War who comes face-to-face with a new threat to the galaxy: the Emperor of the Eternal Throne.

This expansion also raises the Level cap to 65, and includes the option to create a Level 60 character! This allows you to start fresh in Knights of the Fallen Empire and jump right into the new story content. We are also delivering this story content in a way never before done in Star Wars: The Old Republic: Chapters. The first nine Chapters will be available at launch on October 27th, with new Chapters delivered regularly following that.

With the launch of Knights of the Fallen Empire, all of the original eight Class stories will be enhanced, allowing for a faster and more engaging playthrough for new and veteran players. Additionally, many of our existing Flashpoints and Operations are being scaled to 60+, giving you many more Elder Game options at Level 65.

All Subscribers will received the digital expansion for free. We are also excited to announce the Knights of the Fallen Empire Rewards Program. Between today and October 19th, Subscribers can earn collectible rewards for each month that they maintain their Subscriber status. This reward program is in addition to the fact that ALL subscribers receive Knights of the Fallen Empire for free! To learn more about the Rewards Program and the digital expansion, please visit www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com/fallen-empire.

We look forward to bringing you this exciting new chapter for Star Wars: The Old Republic!

The Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Team

qMDRgz3.jpg

Brojito

Neo Member
"the fans were very clear on what they wanted, and we listened"

Really? Because I'm pretty sure we all asked for a real KOTOR 3 back in the day, and you gave everyone the middle finger.

yea i'm still salty

We all wanted another Old Republic game independent from the MMO, unfortunately that didn't happen. EA/Bioware is missing a huge opportunity here though, if they are going to change their paywall structure they need to announce it this E3 to get a massive influx of new players, otherwise people aren't going to give a shit. SWTOR was actually a great MMO at launch, once it went F2P with that horrible model it killed the game entirely. They did it wrong, and I don't see how they haven't changed it yet.

Sorian

Banned
I'd prefer they just made another Star Wars game.

So this expansion to their free to play game is only free to their paid subscribers...

... okay.

Really? Because I'm pretty sure we all asked for a real KOTOR 3 back in the day, and you gave everyone the middle finger.

yea i'm still salty

The whole thread will be this I'm sure. *rolls eyes*

We all wanted another Old Republic game independent from the MMO, unfortunately that didn't happen. EA/Bioware is missing a huge opportunity here though, if they are going to change their paywall structure they need to announce it this E3 to get a massive influx of new players, otherwise people aren't going to give a shit. SWTOR was actually a great MMO at launch, once it went F2P with that horrible model, it killed the game entirely. They did it wrong, and I don't see how they haven't changed it yet.

Game is making way more money now than it ever did.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
We all wanted another Old Republic game independent from the MMO, unfortunately that didn't happen. EA/Bioware is missing a huge opportunity here though, if they are going to change their paywall structure they need to announce it this E3 to get a massive influx of new players, otherwise people aren't going to give a shit. SWTOR was actually a great MMO at launch, once it went F2P with that horrible model it killed the game entirely. They did it wrong, and I don't see how they haven't changed it yet.

If by killed it you mean made it more popular than ever, then yes.

"All three of them had extensive input into the creative process!"

In all seriousness though, my biggest problem with SWTOR, besides the fact it was circa-2006 WoW level of unpolished unfinished mess, is that you got the absolute entirety of it on the first play through. I got to 50, dungeons and raids were buggy, unfinished messes, started a new character and then promptly unsubbed once I realized that was it. At least when I got to 60 the first time in WoW I could take a completely different route to 60. There was still so much to see!

Moff

can you elaborate on that?
as as subscriber and core player I thought they found a great f2p concept, it was basically a glorified trial and lots of cosmetic content. nothing bothered subscrivers such as yourself at launch, or me.

I don't play it anymore though, and I am still confused what this new expansion really is, but if it's good single player content I will surely play it.

CHC

I'm lukewarm about the game itself but THANK YOU for actually putting a real OP together not just a one-second-race-to-be-first post that's like "new tor contnt trailer wen i find it"

Brojito

Neo Member
At least on a positive note they're creating their own original story and characters rather than reusing KotOR characters and butchering them.

Javier23

Banned
Tuned into the conference while they were showing Underground. Wasn't interested, muted the feed, came back after a few minutes, jumped back right into this trailer as they mentioned Bioware. Thought this was basically KOTOR 3. I was so disappointed when I realised it wasn't :(

Ralemont

not me
This looks awesome. I've been kicking around starting up a F2P account to play through the class stories. I know there was a Revan expansion: is it possible to play that solo? And will it be possible to play this solo?

Fehyd

Banned
I honestly don't understand the hate for SWTOR. You wanted your KOTOR3? Play a scenario in SWTOR. Done.

Syf

Banned
Very happy to hear about the ability to create a level 60 character. I'm ready for a brand new storyline. This sounds like a new beginning for the game. Already enjoying it and this will hopefully make it even better.

Urghhh...this "OMG it's not KOTOR" posts should be considered as bad as port begging. So annoying.
Agreed.

If by killed it you mean made it more popular than ever, then yes.

can you elaborate on that?
as as subscriber and core player I thought they found a great f2p concept, it was basically a glorified trial and lots of cosmetic content. nothing bothered subscrivers such as yourself at launch, or me.

I don't play it anymore though, and I am still confused what this new expansion really is, but if it's good single player content I will surely play it.

You need to give people options to pay in a F2P game. Sometimes sacrificing a slight bit of profit on an individual basis by having lower paywalls you have much healthier servers which ends up bringing more players, (especially highly dedicated players, the core of your game) and money because there are more people playing. Kind of like what WOW is doing with the Token system. Every single person I've met who was interested in it (other than people who played at release) were completely turned off by the paywalls (Anecdotal I know). But my point is, this is not the way you do F2P, there's plenty of alternatives to what they are doing now that would probably end up increasing their profits. Maybe I'm just crazy, who knows.

Keep in mind the last time I played SWTOR was a few months after their initial F2P launch. I had previously been a sub so I got plenty of restrictions lifted, but everyone I played with completely fell off because they felt far too restricted.

Sorian

Banned
So is this expansion going to be canon?

Doesn't matter. Disney has no plans for the old republic at this time and they've told Bioware to have a ball as long as they aren't blowing up planets that canonically can't have blown up or anything else just as permanent.

Moff

You need to give people options to pay in a F2P game. Sometimes sacrificing a slight bit of profit on an individual basis by having lower paywalls you have much healthier servers which ends up bringing more players, (especially highly dedicated players, the core of your game) and money because there are more people playing. Kind of like what WOW is doing with the Token system. Every single person I've met who was interested in it (other than people who played at release) were completely turned off by the paywalls (Anecdotal I know). But my point is, this is not the way you do F2P, there's plenty of alternatives to what they are doing now that would probably end up increasing their profits. Maybe I'm just crazy, who knows.

Keep in mind the last time I played SWTOR was a few months after their initial F2P launch. I had previously been a sub so I got plenty of restrictions lifted, but everyone I played with completely fell off because they felt far too restricted.
no I agree with this, as I said, I don't even consider the MMO content f2p, it's basically a glorified trial that let's you play 100% of the singleplayer stories for free. that's not nothing though. but if you want to play it as an MMO you need to pay.
but as a subscriber, the most important thing for me is that nothing ever bothered me, like pay 2 win content or stuff like that.

SWTOR is a good game. Yes it is. When looked at it throughout its own lens it is a great game, with some great story. I urge you to give it a go. A lot of people talking shit about a game they haven't played. SWTOR makes sense as a F2P game. It really does, because it is strongest as a game played in smaller doses.

Some of the paywall elements are annoying, but they don't inhibit you from enjoying the story. The PvP is solid, the dungeons are pretty good. You will have a great time if you love star wars and find a good guild. This is not the the disappointing game, it was at launch.

So is this expansion going to be canon?

That's the thing; Technically The Old Republic is not part of the cannon, but Disney greenlighting this shows that parts of this is greenlit.

This introduces a new faction. From the trailer I'll gauge that they are highly force sensitive users who have stayed away from the known galaxy. There has been many isolated races, planets of groups who was powerful in the force so this is not a new thing. The thing that the big baddie is the "emperor of the eternal throne" I imagine that there is some KOTOR like skyforge endless-powerful-weapons.

klonere

Banned
Will probably re-sub for this

Imperial Agent storyline is probably the best bit of writing to ever come out of Bioware.

Brojito

Neo Member
Jedi Knight's story is essentially KOTOR 3. So yeah, sorry you didn't get your way I guess.

I hear people say this all the time and I don't understand it. The Jedi Knight story is bad and boring even by TOR standards. If that's KOTOR 3, then KOTOR 3 was shit.

Yea, I'm sorry Bioware killed one of my favorite RPG franchises to turn it into a cheap version of WoW too.
just let me be salty in peace dammit

Which class did you play?

Imperial Agent and Sith Warrior. Started some of the other classes but gave up on them pretty fast. I've watched all the rest of the class stories on youtube just out of curiosity.

Its better, considering you get multiple different character storylines, and a ton of companion stories as well.

Quantity =/= quality.

Top Bottom