• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars:The Old Republic - Knights of the Fallen Empire E3 trailer

Woorloog

Banned
Whoah, the extended version of the trailer looks really good actually.
I like the story it tells.
Though there's something un-Star Warsy in it, i feel. Also have doubts the story will be good otherwise.

The abridged version from E3 looked terrible.

antonz

Whoah, the extended version of the trailer looks really good actually.
I like the story it tells.
Though there's something un-Star Warsy in it, i feel. Also have doubts the story will be good otherwise.

The abridged version from E3 looked terrible.

yeah they really screwed the pooch using a shortened edited one for the stage.

Woorloog

Banned
yeah they really screwed the pooch using a shortened edited one for the stage.

It had no emotion and the story was jumbled mess. I was like, WTF is going on here?

The previous SWTOR trailers were a bit too over the top for me (slow-mos and all) but this was better.

antonz

It had no emotion and the story was jumbled mess. I was like, WTF is going on here?

The previous SWTOR trailers were a bit too over the top for me (slow-mos and all) but this was better.

EA treats the game really poorly overall for events. It makes them a decent chunk of change so its funny they cant be bothered to give it 2 extra minutes so they can play the full trailer properly instead of a jumbled mess.

antonz

So.... it's a single player expansion?

It looks like they are reworking the entire game to be more Single Player focused with additional Multiplayer stuff aka mmo stuff.

In addition, with the launch of Knights of the Fallen Empire the original eight class stories from Star Wars: The Old Republic will be enhanced to deliver a more immersive and engaging single-player story arc for players old and new. Plus, end-game experiences in Star Wars: The Old Republic will be advanced, giving players the option to join with friends in a variety of multiplayer missions upgraded to Level 60+.

taimoorh

Quick question: can I play SWTOR as a singleplayer experience? Also, can I progress story without paying?

I want to play it, but if a lot of the main quests involve the need for multiple people (especially dungeon runs) to progress the story, then I'll pass.

I've always been intrigued by SWTOR, but the whole MMO factor is a big turnoff after my 3 years of WoW and the ensuing mmo-fatigue.

Moff

Quick question: can I play SWTOR as a singleplayer experience? Also, can I progress story without paying?

I want to play it, but if a lot of the main quests involve the need for multiple people (especially dungeon runs) to progress the story, then I'll pass.

I've always been intrigued by SWTOR, but the whole MMO factor is a big turnoff after my 3 years of WoW and the ensuing mmo-fatigue.

the singleplayer story content is 100% free to play and there is nothing that needs to be done in groups. the 8 different class main stories are all 100% single player.

Galava

You don't need to pay to play the story. The story missions don't requiere other people to do. Right now, until october, if you suscribe, you get 12x of experience from class quests (the main story) so you don't need to do pointless side quests. Dungeon runs have a group finder and require from 1 to 3 more people to complete.

taimoorh

the singleplayer story content is 100% free to play and there is nothing that needs to be done in groups. the 8 different class main stories are all 100% single player.

You don't need to pay to play the story. The story missions don't requiere other people to do. Right now, until october, if you suscribe, you get 12x of experience from class quests (the main story) so you don't need to do pointless side quests. Dungeon runs have a group finder and require from 1 to 3 more people to complete.

Thanks for the info. Now the main question: is the SP any good? I'm just looking for some decent Star Wars style stories without the kill X of Y mmo shtick.

Moff

Thanks for the info. Now the main question: is the SP any good? I'm just looking for some decent Star Wars style stories without the kill X of Y mmo shtick.

it depends a lot on the class. I think the imperial agent, the sith warrior and the jedi knight are generally considered the best stories in the game.

Tacitus_

The class quests are generally fine, but non class quests will have you collecting space bear asses.

If one thing good comes out of the Old Republic it's the amazing CGI trailers.

I really hope The Force Awakens is just as awesome.

ColdRose

Huh, nice trailer. I played through the Imperial Agent and Jedi Knight storylines a couple of years ago. Both were great fun, Imperial Agent was superb. Might resub for extra class content and a good storyline.

Altairre

it depends a lot on the class. I think the imperial agent, the sith warrior and the jedi knight are generally considered the best stories in the game.

It really depends on what you're looking for. I personally think that the Knight storyline starts strong but gets progressively weaker. That is partially due to the fact that the Knight is the hero you'd probably play in a singleplayer Kotor but since the Old Republic is a MMO you can't really change the status quo too much so even though the thing you do should have huge consequences they kind of explain it away. The resolution just didn't feel satisfying to me. Maybe a dark side playthrough is more interesting. The Knight also has a few storybeats that could be really interesting but are resolved too quickly because they're held back by the MMO mechanics.

Sith Warrior I really liked but overall I personally enjoy the smaller stories a lot more. Being the guy who is just trying to get through this huge war as best as he can (like the smuggler or the bounty hunter) works better in the context of it being an MMO since you can resolve the stories in a satisfying way that has a huge impact on what happens with that character but doesn't really change the status quo immediately.

I'd really encourage anyone who wants to play to take advantage of the 12x xp that is running right now. It really is the way to play this game if you're in it for the story. Almost all of the sidequests are meaningless "kill x amount of y" quests which you normally (without the bonus xp) have to do to stay in the expected level range along with the "bonus series" for every planet, which is the worst and dullest content in this game. If you're playing this for the first time you might want to do the planet quest series on your first republic/empire character since they can be fairly entertaining but apart from that the only fun series of sidequest is one concerning the cult of Revan (second planet on an empire playthrough). I burned out twice while finishing a character before the 12x xp was a thing but now the pacing feels pretty good considering you're playing a MMO.

Some of the classes are actually really fun to play even though none of the main story content is difficult if you update your gear every once in a while. Overall I'd say it's a decent replacement for a new Kotor which we probably won't get any time soon unfortunately.

Rafterman

Banned

Holy shit, I just came to post this. This is pretty amazing because the story quests are really pretty good. I think they just got me to re-sub.

Hello everyone, let’s talk about the Epic Story XP Boost and how it’s an improvement over our 12x boost that we gave prior to Shadow of Revan.

Our Epic Story XP Boost allows all subscribers to level from 1-50 by playing only their Class Missions and from 50-55 on Makeb by playing only the Rise of the Hutt Cartel main storyline. This Boost does not affect Shadow of Revan as it was already designed to be a more streamlined leveling experience. If you have never played the original 8 Class stories, there has never been a better time to dive in!

With the Epic Story XP Boost we have made some exciting improvements over our initial 12x offering from last fall. These improvements include travel, itemization, and quality of life changes. Here are the details on some of those changes:

All Class Missions now reward a lot more Basic Commendations than before, allowing you to stay geared as you level. Also, Modifications for your gear have had their Commendation costs reduced.
All Taxi Destinations are unlocked for all players. Allowing you to get around on each planet much easier.
Quick Travel Bind points are now automatically unlocked whenever you reveal that region. No longer will you miss a Bind point.
The cooldown on the Quick Travel ability has been reduced. If you are a subscriber with all 3 Legacy unlocks, you can get the Quick Travel cooldown all the way to 0. We put the “Quick” back into Quick Travel.
The cooldown on Emergency Fleet Pass and Transport: Personal Starship have also been reduced. Just like Quick Travel for subscribers, if you have all 3 levels of Legacy unlock you can get those cooldowns all the way down to 0.
As you can see, the Epic Story XP Boost not only brings a huge boost to the experience you gain from Class Missions, it provides big improvements to how you travel around the Galaxy. With great quality of life improvements to both travel and staying geared while leveling, the Epic Story XP Boost is the best time ever to play through all of our great Class stories.

If you are the type of player that wants to play through without an experience boost, to not accelerate your leveling experience through the Epic Story XP Boost, there is an option for that as well. Simply visit your Faction’s respective fleet and purchase the White Acute Module (it costs 0 credits). Upon using this consumable, it will suppress the effects of the Epic Story XP Boost for 8 hours. You can simply right click the White Acute Module “buff” at any time during the 8 hours to turn it off.

The Epic Story XP Boost will be live for all Subscribers as of Monday, May 4th. This boost will remain active for all subs into this Fall.

Eric Musco
Community Manager

Question for existing players (can't post on their forums without subbing): Does the combat still require multiple hotbars filled with skills that all do slightly different variations of the same thing?

After playing MOBAs with four highly versatile skills, Warlords of Draenor which merged multiple skills together, and TESO with a six slot bar of really useful and powerful skills... I don't want to go back to managing two or three hotbars and following the same damn rotations.

Strike, Master Strike, Sundering Strike, Hilt Strike, Slash, Overhead Slash, Guardian Slash, Cyclone Slash...

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

How long does it take to hit 55 with the 12x boost?

Syf

Banned
Oh man I just redownloaded it and I think I'm going to sub now.

What are legacy unlocks?
Lots of small perks you can unlock through the game's legacy system, which is xp you earn on all characters on that server after first unlocking the legacy on one character. Some you have to earn, for instance you can unlock each class buff for your other characters to use by reaching the end of act 2 with that class - eventually meaning each of your characters can grant all four class buffs. There's other unlocks like GTN terminal on your ship, ability to mount while running, quick travel cooldown reductions (now down to zero cooldown at max unlock level), etc. Some unlocks are account wide and some are for individual characters.

I honestly don't understand the hate for SWTOR. You wanted your KOTOR3? Play a scenario in SWTOR. Done.
I don't hate SWTOR - I bought a laptop so I could play it. What I want though is a console compatible SW story-driven game so I can play all comfy-like on my nice tv. And that's not really that easy in this mmo-rpg format. If SWTOR comes to consoles I'd give it a shot.

TeddyBoy

So I've read a few of the youtube comments but no one has any proper idea who these new guys are.

Anyone got any details?

Flunkie

Banned
Put this on consoles already and I'll play the fuck out of it. As it is right now though, I don't have the time/dedication to play it on my PC. Keyboard/mouse MMOs just can't do it for me, as much as I've tried.

I love this. TOR fans telling KOTOR fans to fuck off and "just deal with it".

I accepted a long time ago that KOTOR 3 is never happening. But don't shove TOR down my throat as "KOTOR 3" and tell me that this is the sequel I've been waiting for. It's not, and it never will be. I wouldn't have even cared if Bioware had made TOR completely separate from the KOTOR series and done their own thing, but they insisted on dragging KOTOR characters into the story and completing butchering them so they could claim this game was "KOTOR 3".

It's not just that Bioware gave us a game no one wanted, its the fact that Bioware killed the future of another game to do so. Sorry, but I think us old crotchety KOTOR fans are allowed to be salty about that. I'm glad people enjoy SW:TOR. But don't tell me to "just deal with it."

Not a bad idea, honestly.

Is there a "KOTOR OT: We're all still salty" thread, though? Because I'll head there in a heartbeat. Then we can all wallow in our despair together.

Have you played TOR? KOTOR is in there.

kurahador

what kind of game is this? sp/mp? we need previous game or anything?

F2P MMO, but has strong single player components where most of the quests are voiced, has good/evil choices, stories that differs between classes, and the usual MMO dungeons (optional mostly) each has its own story and consequences.

This is the latest expansion to the story that's accessible once you've cleared the base game story. The base game is free btw.

why does this game keep changing my monitor refresh rate to 144? i have it set to 120 ingame and in windows desktop. so annoying as it changes my color scheme. tried all the "fixes" too. nadda

Angel_DvA

Welp, Force Unleashed gave me a craving for some Star Wars vidya, how is this these days? F2P it seems atleast

it's F2p but not PayToWin, I really love it so far, level 55 Jedi vigilance Guardian, great PvE experience and the PvP looks good but unbalanced.

zoobzone

I initially played it during launch and the leveling experience was great with fully voice acted quests and MMO level good story.

Went back to it as F2P a month ago, hated every bit of it. I uninstalled it right after the first dungeon. This is a game where you might have some fun if you sub for the first month just to get rid of the F2P annoyance. If you start from scratch as F2P I don't think you'll really have fun with the massive level of F2P restrictions. (no respec?, almost no dungeon loots)

Wulfram

I initially played it during launch and the leveling experience was great with fully voice acted quests and MMO level good story.

Went back to it as F2P a month ago, hated every bit of it. I uninstalled it right after the first dungeon. This is a game where you might have some fun if you sub for the first month just to get rid of the F2P annoyance. If you start from scratch as F2P I don't think you'll really have fun with the massive level of F2P restrictions. (no respec?, almost no dungeon loots)

You can respec as F2P, though it costs a small amount of (in game) credits and you need to go back to a guy on the fleet. And you don't really lack for loot.

If you're not looking to do end-game stuff or a lot of PVP, there's really not much need to subscribe. F2P is fine to play the class story. Though at higher levels you probably want to be preferred for the additional quickbars at least, and at the moment subscribing for a month to get access to the expansion packs makes a lot of sense.

Welp, Force Unleashed gave me a craving for some Star Wars vidya, how is this these days? F2P it seems atleast

It's okay if you're only after the class stories. It used to be that I wouldn't recommend it even for that, since you'd end up under-leveled because of the XP penalty, but now leveling is extremely fast.

Subbing really is nice, though. It's all the little things that turn it from "okay" to "great".

Top Bottom