• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS TV remote play? Is it any good?

Jingo

Found a promotion in my local store of a pstv for 50 dollars, the only thing i would want from it is the remote play so i can play in my bedroom when the lady wants to see tv in the living room:D

How is the stream? Fluid? the image is a lot worse? Help a gaffer please :D

Raoh

I like it, my only issue is that it wont stream the audio through the headset like it does when using the main console.

SerTapTap

Varies significantly depending on network condition, some people seem to have awful trouble, for me it's extremely good. Still compressed, obviously not as good as a wire, but nearly no input lag and acceptable levels of compression artifacting. But I have wired PS TV/PS4. Sometimes I get lag spikes on the Vita over wireless, but generally it's quite stable over wireless as well, just depends on signal strength.

Update it fully before you try using it though, there was an update that majorly improved the remote play. I think there's options for 30FPS/60FPS remoteplay now so you could see which is more stable--60 works fine in my home.

Definitely check out the Vita library too if you get it though.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
The function itself works as advertised and they even updated it so you can Remote Play at 60 FPS (Used to be lock to 30 FPS) however how well it works for you is totally dependent on the quality of your home network and Internet Speed.

Jingo

My internet is pretty good, the vita holds on well on remote play but the lack of r2/l2 kills me, from your impresssions im guessing the pstv works as good as vita so thats fine by me, i was only worried about the quality of the image since i always heard its compressed.

The vita library its interesting but the fact that it wont stream all vita games makes me sad cause i wanted to play Uncharted golden abyss on the big screen :D

Popsickles

I have it on a wire connection through my router and have had very good results but it does depend what you play. COD is a no no due to lag, Driveclub can be a bit rough with some artifacts due to fast movement, however dying light and the Order are almost as good as native. P.s make sure you set it as 60fps and high quality and you are good to go. P.p.s I play on a decent monitor so that removes any display lag.

Jingo

I have it on a wire connection through my router and have had very good results but it does depend what you play. COD is a no no due to lag, Driveclub can be a bit rough with some artifacts due to fast movement, however dying light and the Order are almost as good as native. P.s make sure you set it as 60fps and high quality and you are good to go. P.p.s I play on a decent monitor so that removes any display lag.

I dont think i understand it fully, you have your pstv on a wired connection or your ps4? Or both? ehehe

If i have to play it it will be not too long cause this is more to when the wife gets home, im just trying to avoid a fight here :D

Popsickles

I dont think i understand it fully, you have your pstv on a wired connection or your ps4? Or both? ehehe

If i have to play it it will be not too long cause this is more to when the wife gets home, im just trying to avoid a fight here :D
I have both the ps4 and the Pstv wired to my router I find the wireless on both next to useless in my house. If you don't want to drill holes and run cable through then I hear power line adapters are good

Robcat

Banned
It's alright but not ideal. If I were you I would set up your own area for gaming so you don't have to worry about moving when your girl wants to watch TV.

vin-buc

Honestly - you should return it unless you want the Vita part of it. Its an underperformer. I don't think the hardware is up to snuff. I get better remote play capability using the Remote Play app on my One Plus One android phone (while at work at that).

Also - you may have paid $10 too much. They've been on sale for $39.99.

Jingo

I didnt bought it, i was just checking if its worth it, this would be used for like 20% of the time, not too much, im In Portugal so i dont know the prices out there but here its usually 100 dollars so this is in fact a promotion :D

Like some of you said the remote play works as the vita, i think im gonna get one since the only issue with vita remote play its the lack of the back buttons.

NeOak

I didnt bought it, i was just checking if its worth it, this would be used for like 20% of the time, not too much, im In Portugal so i dont know the prices out there but here its usually 100 dollars so this is in fact a promotion :D

Like some of you said the remote play works as the vita, i think im gonna get one since the only issue with vita remote play its the lack of the back buttons.

There is a R2/L2 case for the Vita slim.

Also, it works perfectly as long as the PS4 and PSTV are using Ethernet. Way better than the Vita Wi-Fi.

Jingo

I know but my vita its the first :D

I cant use ethernet cable on the ps tv without passing a huge ass cable from living room to the my bedroom so cable its not an option D:

Jingo

Is there any problem connecting a powerline to a multiple socket? The place i wanted to conect has only one socket and i need it to conect all the devices.

Is there any problem connecting a powerline to a multiple socket? The place i wanted to conect has only one socket and i need it to conect all the devices.

Ideally you don't want to connect the powerline adapter to a powerboard (esp. if it has a surge protector built in). If you need to, then it still works, it just may be a little slower. If you do use a powerboard - make sure to plug the adapter in the first slot.

I bought a powerline adapter which has a pass-through socket on it, so it doesn't effectively take up the slot (and then I attach the powerboard to the adapter). I think it was the TP-Link AV500 with pass-through.

lennyKravic

Neo Member
I bought it for same reason as you want. Sometimes I just want to lay in bed and play. I have smaller TV in bedroom so not having FullHD with Remote Play is not an issue. Works really well in my opinion. And I have somewhat complicated network at home with more APs, switch etc. but works fine. Just don't expect to play any type of multiplayer games, input lag is ok for single player (playing Witcher now). Also I think for racers it will not be ok to play through remote play. For that price it's great to extend your gaming options to other room. I haven't used any other function of PS TV, just Remote Play.

Jingo

Ideally you don't want to connect the powerline adapter to a powerboard (esp. if it has a surge protector built in). If you need to, then it still works, it just may be a little slower. If you do use a powerboard - make sure to plug the adapter in the first slot.

I bought a powerline adapter which has a pass-through socket on it, so it doesn't effectively take up the slot (and then I attach the powerboard to the adapter). I think it was the TP-Link AV500 with pass-through.

That is great , thank you for the tip, ill check one with the passtrough, life saver right there :D

Lenny how is the connection you have? Wireless or wired?

MAX PAYMENT

Hopefully I don't derail the thread, but I have a quick question about Vita remote play.

1. Can you use vita remote play without internet?

2. Is everything accessible via remote play? (Videos, movies, music, a connected media drive, etc)

3. Is it worth buying as a semi-portable solution for travel?

Jingo

Hopefully I don't derail the thread, but I have a quick question about Vita remote play.

2. Is everything accessible via remote play? (Videos, movies, music, a connected media drive, etc)

1- No you cant.

2- Never tested, but i doubt that.

3- Its the ideal for a traveler, the remote play its not the best thing, but theres great games in the vita.

mamoui

I have a couple of question, it seem to be the right place to ask.

I have had mostly bad experiences with vita remote play (crappy hotel wifi).
I will be in france for 4 weeks (living in canada) and i concider buying a ps tv for remote play. I want to be able to easily use my dualshock as the vita controls kinda suck. But i don't want to buy it if the performances are bad.
Someone ever tried remote playing from a few thousand km away. Both the ps4 and the ps tv would be wired.

foxbeldin

I have a couple of question, it seem to be the right place to ask.

I have had mostly bad experiences with vita remote play (crappy hotel wifi).
I will be in france for 4 weeks (living in canada) and i concider buying a ps tv for remote play. I want to be able to easily use my dualshock as the vita controls kinda suck. But i don't want to buy it if the performances are bad.
Someone ever tried remote playing from a few thousand km away. Both the ps4 and the ps tv would be wired.

If you're staying at the hotel, don't even bother.

Sora_N

2. I know you can't watch a blu-ray from remote play

MAX PAYMENT

1- No you cant.

2- Never tested, but i doubt that.

3- Its the ideal for a traveler, the remote play its not the best thing, but theres great games in the vita.

I want to bring my ps4 travelling using the vita as a screen with no internet. Is that possible?

Magnus

I don't understand how people have wired/ethernet/LAN connections for both their PS4 and their PSTV way off in another room - isn't the whole point that the PSTV is in your bedroom or another room or whatever, far away from where your router and PS4 are? You're not running a long-ass ethernet cable across your house/apartment, are you? My BF would kill me if I even suggested it, lol.

The visual/sound are fine for me on Remote Play on my PSTV in the bedroom (on wifi), but there's about a 0.5 second lag that ultimately leaves me dissatisfied playing any actioin game or game that requires any sort of reactionary timing. Anything turn-based (like FFX Remaster for example) is totally fine, since the battles give you all the time in the world to respond.

Edit-

Woah woah woah. Powerline adapters, wtf? My home's electrical wiring can carry a data signal? What sorcery is this? I don't think I knew about this. Holy shit.

Mendrox

It's really great. Played PS4 (@Germany) with my PS TV in Thailand. Game didn't feel off (Witcher 3, Destiny) and I can only recommend buying one for playing PS4 everywhere. Cable connected PS4 is a must.

CREMSteve

Wired on both ends makes it essentially seamless.

Wifi introduces input lag that varies from minor to unplayable, depending on the circumstances.

It's a fantastic feature if you set it up correctly though.

lyrick

Under the Absolute best situations (wired Gigabit LAN, on a single router), It's still game dependent.

If the game can tolerate being played with lag, it's fine.If the game is not tolerant of latency it doesn't work worth shit.

I've found it to be pretty terrible unless the PSTV and PS4 are both on hardwired connections. Even then, I still get the occasional blip in my experience, which was enough for me to nix the entire idea of using it to play Destiny in another room in my house.

I'll be selling my PSTV as soon as possible, since it will get zero use due to the lackluster experience.

Augustiner

Neo Member
Top Bottom