• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gatchaman Crowds Insight |OT| RETURN OF THE : >

Status
Not open for further replies.
186c5875ac5f281a3ed80118a0116ee0.jpg

INFO

Gatchaman Crowds Insight is the second season of Gatchaman Crowds, an incredibly fabulous reboot of the classic Tatsunoko series Gatchaman. Taking place in the fictional hi-tech city of Tachikawa, "Gatchaman"—warriors who fight in special reinforced suits powered by "NOTE," the manifestation of special spiritual powers in living beings. A council has scouted a group of individuals with latent powers to protect Earth from alien criminals, headed by the mysterious and powerful J.J. Insight is a continuation off the events of the first series, with the Gatchaman facing a new enemy called "Vape" and gaining more Gatchaman comrades.

Check out the Awesome OP!

Streaming here on Crunchyroll!

CHARACTERS AND CAST

img_hajime.png

Hajime Ichinose - VA: Maaya Uchida (Ranko in Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls, Rikka in Chuu2)

The main character of the story-ssu, Hajime-ssu is an 12th grader attending a high school in Tachikawa City-ssu. A powerful and energetic girl with an artistic spirit, she is a little bit strange in a good way-ssu. She has a passion for stationery goods, and gets extremely excited when it comes to different models of pens and scissors-ssu. She is put under the responsibility of Sugane-ssu, but usually goes against him and acts on her own-ssu. However, she greatly affects the world and her team members when she does something that results in something that has never been seen in Gatchaman activities in the past-ssu.

img_tsubasa.png

Tsubasa Misudachi - VA: Kaori Ishihara (Aladdin in Magi, Rosalie in Cross Ange)

Tsubasa is a 16-year-old second year high school student from Nagaoka in Niigata Prefecture. She is also a new Gatchaman, and as a Gatchaman she is Hajime's new partner. She has an impulsive personality. When she's angry she slips into her home city's dialect.

img_gelsadra.png

Gelsadra - VA: Kana Hanazawa (Zessica in Aquarion EVOL, Akane in Psycho Pass)

An alien who makes an emergency landing in a space ship in front of Tsubasa's house, and so becomes attached to Tsubasa. Gelsadora is a pacifist, and so is under the protection of the Gatchaman. A character named originally appeared in the 1978 anime, Gatchaman II.

img_rizum.png

Rizumu Suzuki - VA: Yuichiro Umehara (Rene in Seraph of the End, Ryuu-san in Million Doll)

Suzuki is a 19-year-old medical student at a famous university. A realist, he regards Crowds and Rui as dangerous, and starts a mysterious organization, VAPE.

img_rui.png

Rui Ninomiya - VA: Ayuma Murase (Hinata in Haikyuu, Joker in Kaitou Joker)

A young programmer living on the top floor in the high-class mansion-apartment building Glorious Tower Toyosu in Tokyo's Koto ward. His trump card is his superb intellect; he is trilingual, being able to speak English, Japanese, and Chinese. After educating himself using educational websites and learning how to write code from hackers around the world, he developed the social networking services "GALAX" and "President X." Rui believes that the current Japan is extremely boring, and does many things in order to speed up and update the world.

img_sugane.png

Sugane Tachibama - VA: Ryota Osaka (Haruto in Valvrave, Tanakaze in Knights of Sidonia)

Sugune is a samurai boy with an old-fashioned personality and speech who has spent five years on the G Team. Due to his personality, he holds justice and his duties very strongly, and is at first baffled by Hajime, who makes him believe in things he had once not thought possible. When he first met her, he did not even think of her as a woman, but as they continued to work together, he began to understand and admire her.

img_od.png

O.D. - VA: Daisuke Hosomi (Genkishi in Hitman Reborn, Souichirou in C: The Money of Soul)

The mood-making person of the Tachikawa "CAGE" with the catchphrase of "You're overdoing it-!!." They calls their Gatchaman a sad Gatchaman that can't transform, this is because it is said their Gatchaman is so powerful it can destroy the world. With their guardian-like existence to the team, people who might not open up their hearts to others would open it up to them. They owns a cat named Altair (Al for short).

img_utsutsu.png

Utsutsu Miya - VA: Kotori Koiwai (Renge in Non Non Biyori, Kigurumi in Joshiraku)

A first-year student attending the Tachikawa Private Academy for the Gifted. She works as a volunteer taking care of the flowers at the Tachikawa City International Greenery Garden. She does not have a very positive image of herself, and fears getting closer to others. The only one she can speak to normally is O.D. Just about the only thing she says to the other members is "I will be gloomy...," (鬱々します, Utsuutsu shimasu) which is a pun on her name.

img_joe.png

Joe Hibiki - VA: Daisuke Namikawa (Rock in Black Lagoon, Hisoka in Hunter x Hunter)

Joe is a Tokyo University graduate who felt despair and nothingness toward the human race, and also felt the limits of the world after 10 years of being on the G Team. However, after meeting Hajime, he gained back his passion for living, and became serious about his work. He is usually running the "Living Safety Department" in the town hall, where he is transformed into a clean, well-kempt, handsome man. However, in the evening, he lets down his hair, puts away his glasses, and smokes, changing his personality entirely. He calls Hajime "little lady," and himself "old man." Although he keeps his distance from Hajime, he actually is very interested in her.

img_jj.png

J.J. - VA: Katsuji Mori (Mittermeyer in Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Garma in Mobile Suit Gundam)

A member of the board of trustees, and the guardian of Earth. He is a man who has looked after of lives born in the galaxy for many years. He gave the Gatchaman to Earthlings who had the correct characteristics, and informs them of his prediction of an existence that will be impossible to repel with the powers of science.

img_paiman.png

Paiman - VA: Aya Hirano (Amane in Death Note, Lucy in Fairy Tail)

An alien and the leader of the team, he looks like a panda but hates being called one. Quick to anger but ultimately understanding and caring for the team.

img_katze.png

Berg-Katze - VA: Mamoru Miyano (Light in Death Note, Rin in Free!)

An androgynous, mysterious individual who is named after a main villain from the original series. Berg has the power to assume anyone's identity by kissing them, which is used to frame people for various crimes. Berg also displays powers of levitation and teleportation. Both Paiman and O.D seem to know about Berg, who also possesses a NOTE, golden in color with a unique symbol. According to them, Berg Katse is a malicious being whose purpose is to destroy all life in the universe by turning the individuals of the planets it attacks against each other, leading them to mutually annihilate themselves. After being "defeated" by Hajime in the first season, Katze now lives in her NOTE (I think) and continues to troll, because it's what Katze does best in life.

STAFF

Director: Kenji Nakamura
Series Composition: Toshiya Ono
Original Character Design: Kinako
Character Design/Chief Animation Director: Yûichi Takahashi
G Suit Design: Koji Nakakita, Kenji Andou
Animation Production: Tatsunoko Production

IMPRESSIONS

Gatchaman Crowds Insight - Episode 1

Really, really, really loved this. They really did a great job introducing the new characters without forgetting about any of the old characters either. The emphasis on society, character motivations/personalities, and the "what makes people tick" angle is what I really enjoyed about Crowds, and it's all front and center in this opening episode. Tsubasa is a great new character, and I'm really looking forward to seeing her dynamic with Hajime pan out. It's a really smart decision to make Tsubasa a "genki" character as well, because on the surface she initially seems a lot like Hajime, but as things progress it becomes clear that they're pretty different. Both have a positive outlook on life, but while Hajime is completely driven by her personality alone, Tsubasa is more of a normal person who has family, hopes, dreams, and reactions to things as they happen. She gets angry and disappointed, surprised and shocked, etc.

Hajime would just shrug it all off because her mentality is such that she can only see the best in everything, even to her own detriment, and yet that is also her shield. It was also what allowed her to truly understand and relate to the threat in the first Crowds season because the villain was essentially insane. It looks like the villain(s) in Insight are intended to be more human and to explore the darker side of society, and if so, it might take someone more socially adjusted to help tackle this problem. Tsubasa seems like a great candidate in that respect.

Also, with the introduction of the new alien character and her ability to turn emotions visible, it seems that the series is going for a deeper level of connectivity. In Crowds, the GALAX and CROWDS systems were meant to elevate social media as a phenomenon into something that truly connects people beyond just information - allowing crowd sourcing to make the world a better place in an actual practical way. In Insight, perhaps what we will see is that connection apply to emotions as well. If we can assess the emotional state of other people visibly, and see how our actions and emotions can affect and change that state in others, wouldn't it lead to an even deeper understanding of each other and bring society even closer together?

I'm glad they're playing up the celebrity of the heroes too. I really dislike sequels which try to push a reset button and ignore major shifts in the worldview setting, and Insight is doing anything but that. Great stuff. :)

Gatchaman Crowds Insight Episode 1:

Gatchaman has returned and it has not missed a beat, still as glorious as ever. Not sure what to make of the new cast members but first episode and all that jazz. This may already be my Show Of The Season.

Gatchaman Insight 1

This was really really good. It's definitely going to be my show of the season.

I love the new girls already.

Gatchaman Crowds Insight episode 1

Yup. This is back. New OP is great, digging the new Gatchaman song at the end too. Iwasaki delivers again.

Gatchaman Crowds Insight 1
Really fun first episode. Both Gels and Tsubasa are cute and fun. I like the team's stronger cohesiveness and upbeatness as well.

Mortemis

Banned
Oh shit, there's a season 2?

And here I thought I wasn't watching any anime this season. Liked the first season so I'm in.

Grexeno

Ahhhhh yes I am ready for more of this, although sometimes during the first season I didn't exactly know what "this" was.

Episode 0 and 1

Episode 0 was short but it was pretty damn cool with the air action. Also loved the design for Rui suit.

Episode 1 was an introduction to the new characters. I am already liking Gel and Tsubasa. Alos dat new Gatchaman music. Iwasaki rocks.

OP and ED are great too.

Razmos

I wasn't blown away by the first episode of Insight. episode-0 was much better.

Maybe I just need to get used to its particular style again, I loved the first season after all, despite what I thought was a slow start.

Razmos

I loved this part in Episode 0 by the way:
tumblr_nqc6pex4j91rv6c48o1_540.gif

Berg Katze being able to take over like that, and the two of them basically sharing one form is really cool. Hajime kicking him away into the void was also hilarious.
I wonder if Hajime is going to need his help at some point

Episode 1 was a solid enough start. I can see how Gelsadra might be a problem, given how S1 played out and the continued theme of CROWDS not working out.

Berg-Katze is amazing and the Katze/Hajime interactions are amazing, hopefully we get a lot of them

He's such a
shitty
bitch.

Razmos

Episode 1 was a solid enough start. I can see how Gelsadra might be a problem, given how S1 played out and the continued theme of CROWDS not working out.
The whole thing of "I want everyone to be united" could start going wrong very very quickly, especially since we don't know the extent of Gel's emotion abilities.

Either that or she is going to be targetted by VAPE for the use of her abilities.

The whole thing of "I want everyone to be united" could start going wrong very very quickly, especially since we don't know the extent of Gel's emotion abilities.

Either that or she is going to be targetted by VAPE for the use of her abilities.

Or both! If I know anything from S1, it's that people on this show who want to force the world into being a better place usually get super fucked up.

Speaking of, I missed Rui this episode.

TDLink

I still haven't given the first season of this a fair shot...but it's just very hard for me. I really love Gatchaman (if my avatar didn't give it away) and everything about this just looks to be taking the name and making it a modern generic anime. They replaced all my cool superheroes with typical anime girls :( Maybe I'm wrong and it's secretly very good (Because of or despite it taking the Gatchaman name) but from the outside looking in it's just so hard to see for me.

I really wish we could get a new anime of the original team/concept/premise...but for some reason despite popularity it seems like Tatsunoko doesn't intend on ever doing that. We just had that bad live action movie a few years back.

jwk94

I just watched a clip of season 1.....what. Why turn the bird thing into G Gundam like suits/mechs? And the art style, man.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I still haven't given the first season of this a fair shot...but it's just very hard for me. I really love Gatchaman (if my avatar didn't give it away) and everything about this just looks to be taking the name and making it a modern generic anime. They replaced all my cool superheroes with typical anime girls :( Maybe I'm wrong and it's secretly very good (Because of or despite it taking the Gatchaman name) but from the outside looking in it's just so hard to see for me.

I really wish we could get a new anime of the original team/concept/premise...but for some reason despite popularity it seems like Tatsunoko doesn't intend on ever doing that. We just had that bad live action movie a few years back.

your first mistake was in thinking of this new series as generic - it's really not

Ascheroth

Subscribed!

Opening is amazing, gatchaman music is amazing, Hajime is amazing. The new characters are interesting, especially Gel-chans ability is super interesting and I can't wait until everything goes wrong, lol.

Off to a great start already!

Jex

This season has started off really well. Glad to see that they're truly committed to following through with all the craziness created in the first season.

I'm with you. I grew up with Gatchaman and I really tried to like season 1 but it just left me cold. I know people like this show but it's Gatchaman in name only.

We need a real revival. I did like the movie somewhat.

Razmos

I noticed that in the OP Gel-chan is surrounded by emotion bubbles that all turn red. We haven't seen red ones so far have we?

perhaps she will realize that uniting the world in anger and fear is easier than uniting it through happiness and friendship.

maybe i'm reading too much into it, but her ability seems like it's going to be a big part of the season, and I'd much rather her be a villain than a pointless moeblob character.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I've had the first season on my MAL plan to watch list for awhile now. Will I be missing out on lots of references going into Crowds if I'm unfamiliar with the franchise? That was the only thing stopping me.

Razmos

I've had the first season on my MAL plan to watch list for awhile now. Will I be missing out on lots of references going into Crowds if I'm unfamiliar with the franchise? That was the only thing stopping me.
I don't think so, honestly. I had never watched the original Gatchaman before I watched this, but I did some reading afterwards and the only real references are some names being the same. (but the characters being totally different)

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I don't think so, honestly. I had never watched the original Gatchaman before I watched this, but I did some reading afterwards and the only real references are some names being the same. (but the characters being totally different)

Aight, cool. Will start up the first season this week then. 👌

Mailbox

having only watched the first season and having no knowledge of anything gatchaman, i don't think you will.

The only i can say to that manner is that the first season really isn't what I expected when i read the synopsis. I think that it's because of that that I freaking love the first season.

I won't be simu-watching this though. Gonna wait tel i can binge the whole damn thing

All you really need to know is Joe Hibiki shares his name with Joe the Condor from the OG Gatchaman - OG Joe was also playable in Tatsunoko vs Capcom - and Berg Katze and Gel Sadra were the names of villains in the OG Gatchaman too.

The characters have nothing else in common, mind.

Season 2, yay! Looking forward to see how bad it can go, when you try to force something on to others, once again. Hajime best girl!

Probably going to follow the theme, "the road to evil, is paved with good intentions" like season 1. Liked first season a lot, so I'm probably riding the hype train.

Ezalc

Yatterman of the Night was alright. Weak in a lot of areas, Crowds is better.

Casshern Sins I never finished but I think I liked it better then Yatterman of the Night

Casshern Sins is amazing. It's really somber and dark, but goddamn do some moments hit you like a truck. People who watched know what I'm talking about, that fucking song man.

I didn't watch Yatterman of the night though, when they started sexing up the little girl I nope'd out.

Hoping these dudes do a reboot of Polymar, Tekkaman, and Karas though. But leave the awesome fight scenes please! And bring back: BOY WHAT A BATTLE THAT WAS!

Nephtis

Casshern Sins is amazing. It's really somber and dark, but goddamn do some moments hit you like a truck. People who watched know what I'm talking about, that fucking song man.

I didn't watch Yatterman of the night though, when they started sexing up the little girl I nope'd out.

Hoping these dudes do a reboot of Polymar, Tekkaman, and Karas though. But leave the awesome fight scenes please! And bring back: BOY WHAT A BATTLE THAT WAS!

Casshern has some ridiculously amazing music. Luna in particular sends shivers down my spine. It's hauntingly beautiful.

But damn, that anime, as much as I enjoyed it, it pretty much sucked my soul and any will to live, hahahaha

daevious

So glad this show is back and off to a good start already. Episode's 0 and 1 are primarily build-up, but they're buildup that build on the foundations of the first season while also setting the scene for how season two can potentially play out.

For now, I am incredibly suspicious of Gelsadra because of her desire for "unity", which could be easily turn against the Gatchaman if public opinion begins to trend against what they want.

For that matter, I like Tsubasa's character so far but I feel that her
transformation being triggered by anger is something that's going to cause trouble further down the line considering that season one established how brute force is not always the most efficient means of solving problems.

I'm really excited for this season, you guys.

That never happened? For the problems Yatterman had Doronjo being a young girl wasn't one of them, thematically it worked well...for like half the show before Gatchan became the main character and Doronbow was sidelined

I will probably finish Sins at some point. Next I kind of expect them to do Speed Racer, there was a pretty huge cameo in Yatterman Night for that. But Tekkaman and Karas would be cool.

massoluk

Banned
Oh wow, I saw it came up as an update on Crunchyroll, didn't think it was the second season. I thought they added a dub version or something, lol. Have to check this out.

Razmos

I wonder if we will ever get an explanation for the G-numbers.

Like for example, why Tsubasa is G-60, when she was transformed AFTER Utsutsu, Rui and Hajime (99, 100 and 101 respectively, Rui was transformed before Hajime was)

And why are there so many missing numbers? is it because they are defending other planets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom