• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to skip Tokyo Game Show 2015

Microsoft to skip Tokyo Game Show 2015

Microsoft won’t be at this year’s Tokyo Game Show, which runs from September 17 to 20 at the Makuhari Messe in Chiba, the company announced.

“2015 will continue to provide an attractive game line-up, exclusive titles included,” Microsoft Japan category marketing group’s Masayuki Inoue said in a statement.

More here

images

Takao

Banned
While there's something to be said about not copy/pasting the entire article, I think the bit that implies MS will host their own event is important ...

FluxWaveZ

Sounds more like some kind of digital stuff. Announcing/showing their trailers on their blog, etc. Don't think it will be an actual"event" like TGS.

This is what I would think, as well. A live stream or "Nintendo Direct" of their own.

This seems highly unlikely. They can't possibly think they're going to move the needle at this point.

But yes, it's not as if an independent platform for their own announcements would really change their current situation.

sensui-tomo

I wonder how much idolmaster sold on the xbox back when it was exclusive to the console (since i'm sure that game outsold ToV, BD, any other japanese made game besides FF and maybe monster hunter G(whatever the online game is) Cant really see what they'd show at TGS that would wow people.

Kudo

Microsoft was heavily involved with the indie event earlier this year, then again if its event only for Xbox-related things I can't see that going out too well.

Anyway, not a big surprise, they just don't have anything to show for Japanese market and probably don't care too much, we're talking about under thousand/hundred sales weekly, total rejection.

Heartfyre

I wouldn't interpret that as meaning they're going to host their own event at all. "...we’re making various preparations to deliver the latest Xbox news to fans and media" sounds much more like "We'll write some posts on the newly-opened Xbox Japan blog to cover the event."

Considering Scalebound is being shown at Gamescom, they don't have much to exhibit to the Japanese audience anyway.

wapplew

No booth or anything like that? How MS going to introduce best line up in Xbox history to Japanese audiences?

Just to give context, even though MS in recent years never held any sort of conference stuff in Japan, they do still have booths and big presence in TGS to at least show indie games, localised first-party games and 3rd-party deals like CoD.

It's common to not have any sort of announcement platforms, like a presser, etc. It's a bit more uncommon to directly skip out a big trade show.

Seems like Sony have TGS pretty much to themselves this year, with MS skipping it and Nintendo in that weird place inbetween Wii U and NX.

It's unlikely Nintendo will announce anything about their future plans this early, so until they are ready to talk about whatever NX is (which will likely be around E3 time next year) they won't have much new stuff to talk about other than a bit more info on Zelda.

Cowie

To be fair, pretty much everyone has skipped TGS the past few years, even if they've been technically showing up.

Koren

This part's important:
So that's "Wait Till Spaceworld"? ^_^

Honestly don't know how anyone can buy that comment. Its more likely they're just (finally) admitting its a lost cause and its a bunch of fluff to save some face.
I'm not sure they admit this way that's it's a lost cause rather than the fact that it probably doesn't worth the investment and trouble. Nintendo usually don't attend TGS either.

Microsoft Game Studios aren't huge, and 3rd-party XBOne games will still be on TGS, like 3rd-party Nintendo ones are (on 3DS at least, but a couple years ago, there were also plently of giant Wii booths at TGS).

Considering Scalebound is being shown at Gamescom, they don't have much to exhibit to the Japanese audience anyway.

It doesn't really work that way. In general, companies have games shown at events, even if they're already announced/exhibited in other events already. I mean, I can safely say that Youkai Watch and MHX will be the among the biggest games at TGS 2015 this year, and both are already announced/shown earlier this year.

Seems like Sony have TGS pretty much to themselves this year, with MS skipping it and Nintendo in that weird place inbetween Wii U and NX.

lol. Nintendo (3rd-party) will easily be one of the biggest presences at TGS this year by the combined power of Youkai Watch and Monster Hunter X.

The only way Sony matches Nintendo is with DQ Builders and the assumed DQXI.

Shahed

It's unlikely Nintendo will announce anything about their future plans this early, so until they are ready to talk about whatever NX is (which will likely be around E3 time next year) they won't have much new stuff to talk about other than a bit more info on Zelda.
More than likely there will be more mobile games than anything else. Sony will probably have a pre-TGS show

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
While there's something to be said about not copy/pasting the entire article, I think the bit that implies MS will host their own event is important ...

Not really, because who will really go to that?

More than likely there will be more mobile games than anything else. Sony will probably have a pre-TGS show

Sony's pre-TGS is for announcements. They'll still have booths, livestreams, stage shows, and all the usual TGS jazz there.

I mean, in the first place, few companies announce games at TGS itself. Not that it doesn't happen, but it's always few in quantity. I recall last year's TGS announcing 3-4 games total?

Majority of the games are either announced at Sony's presser, earlier Nintendo Directs, Famitsu/magazine scoops (DQ Builders, example), or stuff like Level-5 Vision.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is a parody of the Microsoft is taking Europe because Sony is not doing a Gamescom conference?

Well that parody wouldn't work because Sony will be at Gamescom and Sony is killing it in Europe right now and will be at the Paris Event (which obviously is in Europe).

Top Bottom