• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to skip Tokyo Game Show 2015

judging by this year's holiday season...nope!

Look at Tomb raider for example,it will be launched a little after HALO 5 and COD,and in the same day as Fallout 4(which microsoft have deal with) and after that Battlefront.

I have no hopes about TR legs.

Imo if i had to predict,tomb raider will have a nice launch week thanks to pre-orders,but the legs will be destroyed unless microsoft releases a holiday bundle.

Are you comparing the sales potential of Sunset Overdrive to Tomb Raider? Seriously?

It's pretty crazy to consider that. I know I was one of the many ps4 buyers of the witcher. Great game. Made me super excited for Horizon because one of the big quest writers for w3 is working on that game.

I'm actually interested to see how a game like Horizon does in Japan. The robo dino thing could grab the attention of fans of Zoids. Haha

I was wondering why Horizon felt familiar when I saw the initial reveal. So ultimately, the game is Zoids meets By The Waters of Babylon. Yes, I'm all for this xD

The Witcher III did decently in Japan (currently over 100K sales), so Horizon will likely have the same performance.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The French love anime. Also Europe loves Japanese culture way more than say the US does proportionally. I don't know if it's geographical distance or gun culture or what, but Europe is much more aligned to Japanese things than we are here.

I mean just look at the US. It's always weeaboo this and weeaboo that.

I mean outside of Anime Expo, I've always felt like in the US you're looked down upon if you like Japanese anime rather than American gritty comics like Batman and whatnot.

I don't think that's necessarily true at all. There are tons of cons dedicated to anime even in the US.

There's a huge amount of people here, so the more vocal voices are going to be the ones who are sounding xenophobic to everyone else. But that doesn't mean we don't have a comparable appreciation for that sort of thing in comparison to other countries.

Considering that there are 300 million people in the country, even a very small percentage of that is comparable in fanbase to other nations.

I don't think that's necessarily true at all. There are tons of cons dedicated to anime even in the US.

There's a huge amount of people here, so the more vocal voices are going to be the ones who are sounding xenophobic to everyone else. But that doesn't mean we don't have a comparable appreciation for that sort of thing in comparison to other countries.

Considering that there are 300 million people in the country, even a very small percentage of that is comparable in fanbase to other nations

If even 1% of Americans like anime...

I'm sure TR will get bundled the same way AssCreed was last year. They're guaranteed 2+ million units in US that way.

Yeah, I'm expecting that too. It's probably the only chance it has to do well.

Considering that there are 300 million people in the country, even a very small percentage of that is comparable in fanbase to other nations.

You don't think Europe's a bigger market for Japanese games than the US these days? Because I sure think it is and credit Europe for the huge turn around Namco Bandai made late last gen, when they finally realised their games would sell well in Europe, stopped treating us like shit and started localising Tales games again (as well as picking up Ni no Kuni).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You don't think Europe's a bigger market for Japanese games than the US these days? Because I sure think it is and credit Europe for the huge turn around Namco Bandai made late last gen, when they finally realised their games would sell well in Europe, stopped treating us like shit and started localising Tales games again (as well as picking up Ni no Kuni).

Well i know the Naruto games sold equally well across the board in the US and EU, Xenoverse as well. Ni No Kuni also made large inroads in America, actually beyond expectations based on Namco's sales predictions. in regards to Tales, i don't really have sales figures but, i'm sure NA was also significant to the overall number.

I'm not trying to downplay Europe or anywhere else, but i don't like being painted with stereotypes that aren't backed up with numbers. If you say the US as a whole doesnt contribute a decent portion to Japanese sales because "Murica is all dude bros", back it up with numbers!

If even 1% of Americans like anime...

I'm not Artistan!

Abdiel

I was wondering why Horizon felt familiar when I saw the initial reveal. So ultimately, the game is Zoids meets By The Waters of Babylon. Yes, I'm all for this xD

The Witcher III did decently in Japan (currently over 100K sales), so Horizon will likely have the same performance.

Hehe, yeah, I saw the Zoids 'feel' to the robo dinos. I loved both series back when they were on Toonami and the like, so the flair was just another cool aspect to what Horizon is doing.

I hope that things for the Japanese market continue to embrace unique ideas, and also put out great games in established franchises. It's unfortunate that MS has truly let go of that early initiative, though I'd wonder how much better it would have been if they'd instead of making big games totally exclusive, just helped fun/encourage those studios to delve into the HD dev process, which is what Sony is doing, and it is paying dividends, it seems.

Rymuth

I hope that things for the Japanese market continue to embrace unique ideas, and also put out great games in established franchises. It's unfortunate that MS has truly let go of that early initiative,
Your comment made me realize something and I had to check ~ Ninety Nine Nights were published by Microsoft. Hard to believe there was a time when the Xbox division would even publish Korean games.

Damn, I miss the Allard era.

harSon

Banned
Your comment made me realize something and I had to check ~ Ninety Nine Nights were published by Microsoft. Hard to believe there was a time when the Xbox division would even publish Korean games.

Microsoft had a close partnership with Phantagram/Blueside (Kingdom Under Fire) since the early days of Xbox.

Abdiel

I remember when that game was announced. I never played it. Or Lost Odyssey. I didn't have the money for any newer consoles back then, I played almost exclusively on PS2 and PSP back then.

The only games I ever would have wanted from the Xbox systems would be MechAssault, and Lost Odyssey, I think. Was never enough to coax me towards their system, since I'm so oriented around JRPGs.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Your comment made me realize something and I had to check ~ Ninety Nine Nights were published by Microsoft. Hard to believe there was a time when the Xbox division would even publish Korean games. .

That was back when Microsoft were being extreeeeeemmmeeeeee

Rymuth

Microsoft had a close partnership with Phantagram/Blueside (Kingdom Under Fire) since the early days of Xbox.
And Sony had a close relationship with Square Enix during the early days of Playstation. They've since regained it back by helping with porting/development cost.

Amazing what being proactive does, no?

stryke

Yeah, I'm expecting that too. It's probably the only chance it has to do well.

Meh. It's the holidays, people like to buy stuff regardless it should do fine if there were no bundle. However any supposed risk of damage from launching on the same day as Fallout would be mitigated by XB1 bundles.

harSon

Banned
And Sony had a close relationship with Square Enix during the early days of Playstation. They've since regained it back by helping with porting/development cost.

Amazing what being proactive does, no?

Not sure what that has to do with what I said, but nice... I guess? I was just stating that Microsoft had their support since the early days of Xbox, and that it was no longer the case... Lol

Guymelef

Sorry for the "bump" with that "XBO users doesn't buy japanese games" previous discussion in mind I was looking Amazon ranking for a game like BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma EXTEND you can see how XBO version is charting even behind Vita version.

Top Bottom