• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King's Quest | Spoiler Thread

BlackRock

I took the heart path through the game my first playthrough. I don't have a good idea how much changes depending on what path is taken at several other decision points. I'm going to have to take another playthrough and see what happens.

The heart path first takes you to helping the bridge troll Olfie. He becomes the eye need for the contest (no need to remove it) after Whisper steals the other two eyes the Olfie helps you get, which was kind of neat. I assume that the other paths have different eyes that they present at the end of the competition. What did others get?

One difference noticed so far is keeping the gate in the rear of town open or always shutting it behind you. If you keep it open then there are wolves fighting in town, but otherwise the blacksmith says you are doing well on earning the badge. I never actually received a badge in game, however. Did anyone else?

RetroMG

Subbed!

It sees like every choice falls into the Mind, Body, and Heart categories.

I'm not actually done with the first episode yet. So far in my main playthrough, I've:
-Released the Dragon (Heart)
-Said I was fond of a distraction (Mind)
-Used a shield as a wagon wheel (Body route? I used the bread in another playthrough,)
-Bought the tournament ticket. (I tried not to in another playthrough, but hit a wrong entry partway through. I want to experiment to see if I can get away with not buying it at all.)
-Used the pumpkin, blue candle, and purple paint to simulate an eye (Mind route)
-Went after Achaka, and told him to shoot the dragon. (He died anyway.)

I haven't done the other trails yet, so I may drop out of the thread until I finish, which will probably be tonight.

One difference noticed so far is keeping the gate in the rear of town open or always shutting it behind you. If you keep it open then there are wolves fighting in town, but otherwise the blacksmith says you are doing well on earning the badge. I never actually received a badge in game, however. Did anyone else?

I left it open, and when I returned to town after the Chivalry test there were two wolves in town fighting over some meat. Amaya came out, chased them off, asked me to help keep the gate closed, and promised me a patch for being member of a group that keeps the wolves out.

wilco

Neo Member
So the paths diverge a good amount? That's interesting.
I chose the blacksmith path and got the eye of the dragon after going to the cave with Achaka.
A question, why do you have to go into the cave with Achaka if you don't need the eye of the dragon in the other paths?

RetroMG

I chose the blacksmith path and got the eye of the dragon after going to the cave with Achaka.
A question, why do you have to go into the cave with Achaka if you don't need the eye of the dragon in the other paths?

Interesting. I wondered what the Blacksmith's path was.

In the other routes, when you return with your eye, Achaka has gone missing, and Graham is sent to find him. (And get his signature saying that he's dropping out of the tournament.)

BlackRock

Wow. Some really nice differences!

I have beaten the game already, but want to do another run. I'll hold off on end game spoilers for a bit.

So far, I've:

- Rang the bell with the bow when given the choice in the prologue portion on what to do with the dragon. He thinks it's dinner time and leaves. Graham comments that he did the compassionate thing by not killing the dragon, but saved lives by not releasing the dragon.

- Used the bread as the wheel. Didn't notice anything special about it.

- Bought the ticket from the trickster merchant. It's a fake and you lose your money.

- Chose to not shoot the dragon with Achaka and he was killed by the dragon.

- Ruined the picnic by knocking the beehive onto the table and the baker then has welts all over him from the stings

In the other routes, when you return with your eye, Achaka has gone missing, and Graham is sent to find him. (And get his signature saying that he's dropping out of the tournament.)

Yes, this is how it is on the heart path. You need to find him since he is missing.

jrcbandit

You have to get his signature - Achaka fails to show up in time to present his eye. The legal requirement requires his signature to acknowledge that he is no longer part of the tournament for failing that section. The knights in charge of the tournament asks for a volunteer to get the signature and all the other candidates step back, making you the default choice.

You help out Achaka with the dragon eye in hopes that there is a loop hole for him to continue if the eye is impressive enough (plus, he doesn't understand what you are saying so you can't get his signature anyway). Of course, he fails to make it so you end up with an useless? eye (since I already got another eye). They force that section on you so you can learn to shoot the bow properly.

_Ryo_

Definitely sounds better than what telltale would have done. I only bring this up because they were once gonna do a King's Quest game I think.

Anyway, reading this thread it sounds like things can play out quite differently. cool.

wilco

Neo Member
Ah, so you end having to go meet Achaka to help him. Those are actually some pretty cool differences.

In the middle of the game there is an intermission of Graham telling the story that shows Gwendolyn beating up a stuffed bunny in a fight. I guess that was because I chose the blacksmith path? Probably that sequence changes according to that decision.

In the end choice I changed and chose the heart /custard pie (KQ5!) and in tournament Gwendolyn and cousin end up fighting by throwing cakes at each other.

BlackRock

Few more things I remembered:

- When you are ambushed by the goblins, I didn't kill them but shot the spears out of their hands. I didn't save the merchant since I wasn't sure how to do so without killing the goblins.

- Gwendolyn seems to be inspired by whatever path Graham takes. On the heart path, she is fencing with an umbrella during a cutscene and seems ready to fence with her stuffed animal and then decides to give him a cupcake rather than fence with him. The endgame cutscene also seems to show her affected by Graham's path. She starts a food fight as wilco mentioned and she and Gart both start laughing.

Sciz

From a musical standpoint, hearing the KQ5 theme all over the place as a leitmotif once the game opens up proper warmed my heart. I'd sent them a tweet about using it after the VGAs, but I never thought it'd form the core of the game's music.

I took the mind solutions all the way through, and the Gwyn scenes involved her hiding behind her door to surprise her cousin, darting behind the bunny and whacking it into the wall with the umbrella, and clucking during the tournament to throw her cousin off and bait him into slipping on some deviled eggs she pilfered from the guard's snack tray.

- Ruined the picnic by knocking the beehive onto the table and the baker then has welts all over him from the stings

For the record, you can use the fruit picker to push the beehive over the cliff if you knocked it down by shaking the tree first.

wilco

Neo Member
For the record, you can use the fruit picker to push the beehive over the cliff if you knocked it down by shaking the tree first.

I figured that could be the case but I only got the fruit picker after messing around with the bees... Poor baker...
About that, is it possible to know who was the baker proposing to in the picnic?

BlackRock

Do you guys who took a path other than the heart path have to do anything about the monster in the forest on the way to the castle? In the heart path, the troll Olfie kills it for you to get its eyes (that Whisper steals), and you can see it's corpse in the forest as you pass through. I was a little disappointed that you can't enter the castle at the end to get your knighthood.

btw, did you guys notice that the moat monster is similar to the serpent looking moat monster around King Edward's castle like in the KQ1 VGA remake? In the original they were alligators. Thought that was a neat touch.

Some other references I noticed: Graham mentions that he could use some refreshing rejuvenating fruit - reference to KQ4? There are also the tapestries in Gwendolyn's room that are the box cover from KQ6 and Graham fighting either the dragon from KQ1 or possibly Mordack at the end of KQ5 in his dragon form.

Sciz

I figured that could be the case but I only got the fruit picker after messing around with the bees... Poor baker...
About that, is it possible to know who was the baker proposing to in the picnic?

Not that I'm aware of. Wouldn't be surprised to see his marital status come up in later chapters, though, which might fill in the blank.

Do you guys who took a path other than the heart path have to do anything about the monster in the forest on the way to the castle? In the heart path, the troll Olfie kills it for you to get its eyes (that Whisper steals), and you can see it's corpse in the forest as you pass through. I was a little disappointed that you can't enter the castle at the end to get your knighthood.

Nope. It's just lying there dead when you come through the area later.

A bit surprised that the castle was completely optional and irrelevant, but I guess they had it done ahead of time for later chapters. Wonder how much of the area is going to be reused, going forward.

RetroMG

Just finished. I really thought Manny was going to turn out to be King Edward in disguise. I was kind of disappointed that he just turned out to be a shmuck.

I enjoyed the test of wits, although I was awful at it. I think eventually the game let me win out of pity.

Also, screw you, game, with that last cliffhanger. You are not going to kill off King Graham in episode 1.

BlackRock

Also, screw you, game, with that last cliffhanger. You are not going to kill off King Graham in episode 1.

Agreed! None of us are interested in seeing Graham's death. I hope TOG have more class than that. Maybe he's just having a little downturn, and then feels a bit better and starts telling the tale of Episode 2.

I suspect that Episode 2 will be how Graham becomes king. They are sticking with recovering the 3 treasures plot line, as we know from the opening of this first episode. We already saw him aquire the mirror, though. I wonder if there will only be the two other treasures (chest and shield) to get in the next episode. They never explained where all the beds came from (right?) in the dragon's lair, so I wonder if we will explore what's going on there. There was a quick shot of some goblins carrying off a bed when you first go to where the female troll is going to burn the horn mouthpieces. Surely that wasn't all, right?

I have the feeling that Gwendolyn (Alexander's daughter?) is being set up to continue the franchise. I actually like that idea, and hope they continue to flesh her out. Continuing with the adventures of other family members is unquestionably KQ.

PooBone

Does this game have a cliffhanger at the end of it? Debating if I want to play through it now or wait until it's mostly (or completely) released.

RetroMG

Not a major cliffhanger, no.

Clarifying: The story itself is self-contained, but the framing device for the episode ends with the implication that
that something is seriously wrong with with the character who has been telling the story, King Graham..

Sciz

Need some pointers now - how do I go about getting the password for the brigde troll meeting?

Hints:
You need a quick way down to the front door, and to catch a troll trying to get into the meeting.
Since there are only three trolls in Daventry, you'll need to get one of them out of the meeting in order to see one get back in.

Solution:
Set up the ladder shortcut by circling around the meeting site.
Summon Olfie back to his bridge spot.
Run back to the meeting door, taking the ladder down.

BlackRock

Edit: Beaten!
Solution:
You need to get Olfie to leave by summoning him away. Then go back to the area and listen in as he arrives again. I'm not sure if some other trigger may be required, though. You may need to have lowered the ladder stuck in the hole near the door to the meeting which opens the shortcut. But the above solution should be generally correct, since that's what I did.

Man where are you guys finding those extra coins lying about? I know how to solve the puzzles I'm stuck with but I've got no cash to buy the pie or the gardening tool. I bought the pumpkin lantern :\

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
beat it, got 3-4 trophies.

Slightly annoyed by the 2nd silver for solving puzzles the "right" way, would replay but not being able to skip stuff is annoying.

Love the death achievements, since death is really a punishment, other than rewatching cutscnees...

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Not a major cliffhanger, no.

Clarifying: The story itself is self-contained, but the framing device for the episode ends with the implication that
that something is seriously wrong with with the character who has been telling the story, King Graham..

Well he
did have a heart attack in King's Quest IV

BlackRock

Man where are you guys finding those extra coins lying about? I know how to solve the puzzles I'm stuck with but I've got no cash to buy the pie or the gardening tool. I bought the pumpkin lantern :

I wish the game had saves so I could check and make sure this is right. This is just from memory. It will depend on the path you are taking too. This was for the heart path.

1. On the floating island. Needs Olfie's mouthpiece. (I think)

2. On the path towards where Triumph is trapped after you pass through the cave. It's on a rock hole. Needs the blue candle. (For certain)

I wish the game had saves so I could check and make sure this is right. This is just from memory. It will depend on the path you are taking too. This was for the heart path.

1. On the floating island. Needs Olfie's mouthpiece. (I think)

2. On the path towards where Triumph is trapped after you pass through the cave. It's on a rock hole. Needs the blue candle. (For certain)

Yeah I keep getting kicked out of the wolf/dark cave by Acorn. I felt like I scoured over every screen for coins and figured I'd just start over and choose a different path and buy a different item initially.
Didn't leave a tip nor bought that ticket and that little bastard stole all but one coin. Fuck that guy.

RetroMG

I have the feeling that Gwendolyn (Alexander's daughter?) is being set up to continue the franchise. I actually like that idea, and hope they continue to flesh her out. Continuing with the adventures of other family members is unquestionably KQ.

My wife and were discussing this, (she's a lifelong KQ fan, so I ask her on all KQ trivia) and yeah, we think Gwendolyn is Alexander's daughter. Alexander would have probably married Princess Cassima and become ruler of the Land of the Green Isles, so it makes sense that they would have had to travel to Daventry. Also they have darker hair, whereas Gart is a blonde, like Rosella. (Although Alexander and Cassima have black hair, so where Gwendolyn's brown hair came from is a mystery.)

I also thought that it was interesting that Gwendolyn's Grandmother is credited as Queen Valanice, even though the game never calls her such. (Of course, who else would that be?)

Also, I figured out how to get one of the achievements:

Unicorn Snack Food -
Attempt to use the hachet on the "unicorns" over and over when you're looking for a wheel for the broken wagon.

Yeah, buying either the Pie or the Gardening tool first would've netted me more coins to continue the quests. I don't see any way I could get more coins if I had bought the lamp first before anything else. That seems like a game-breaking (or old school adventure game-ending) choice to me. Anyone here choose buy the lamp first and find a coin after that to continue?

This game is crazy long for one episode. Really like the writing and voice acting as well. Very happy with my purchase.

Yeah, you can find coins going lamp first. There's one you can find past one of the caves.

Right, the cave of wolves that leads towards a forest path (with the coin) and one of the troll bridges. Problem is that if you buy the lamp first and go in there, Acorn kicks you out. I've found coins in that forest, along the cliffside path after the first troll bridge, and in the merchant's abandoned cart that you get to crossing a rope. None of those places would be accessible if you had purchased the lamp first, if I recall :\

RetroMG

Spent the evening playing through a second time with my wife and getting most of the achievements. The new patch makes the loading times on Xbone more bearable, but they are still there, and they're not on the Steam version. Will probably play the remaining eps on Steam for the most part.

Also: Did you guys find Daventry Castle? I completely missed it in my first playthrough. When you go through the dark forest to where the trolls are meeting, there's another exit that leads of one of Pilare's horns. If you get her piece and blow on it, you can cross to Daventry castle and see the Moat monster! Gwendolyn starts asking a bunch of questions about the castle and the moat monster, and Old Graham says something to the effect of, "No, dear, this is just called ''foreshadowing.'

Also on the topic of foreshadowing, what did the card look like for episode two for you all? Mine was Graham surrounded by goblins with spears. I swear that's not what it looked like after my first runthrough, but I just can't remember. (I didn't kill any of the Goblins in the arrow fight, so maybe they are coming back stronger?)

Acorn goes away once you turn the "eye" in, IIRC, which doesn't require any additional gold.

I finished the episode from a different path tonight but your "eye" in quotes got me thinking about that "Smart Path" problem. Hadn't thought about dipping the pumpkin lantern in the dye as well to make an "eye". Good lookin' out!

This game is pretty great.

Also: Did you guys find Daventry Castle? I completely missed it in my first playthrough. When you go through the dark forest to where the trolls are meeting, there's another exit that leads of one of Pilare's horns. If you get her piece and blow on it, you can cross to Daventry castle and see the Moat monster! Gwendolyn starts asking a bunch of questions about the castle and the moat monster, and Old Graham says something to the effect of, "No, dear, this is just called ''foreshadowing.'

Yeah the "this is sectioned off for future episodes" dialogue happens there as well as the "Mysterious Cave" nearby where you first meet the merchant and his unicorns. It's still cool though.

Does anyone think that Manny might actually be
Manannan, who kidnapped Alexander as an infant? Someone did mention Llewdor in the game, but I can't remember who it was.

RetroMG

Does anyone think that Manny might actually be
Manannan, who kidnapped Alexander as an infant? Someone did mention Llewdor in the game, but I can't remember who it was.

That's a pretty amazing theory. I think it's Manny who mentions Llewdor during the Battle of Wits at the end.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I also did the heart path as much as possible, though I think I screwed up near the end (I couldn't figure out how to use the pie to defeat Manny). I think I'm going to replay it before Ep 2 comes out and try to go for better consistency.

RetroMG

I also did the heart path as much as possible, though I think I screwed up near the end (I couldn't figure out how to use the pie to defeat Manny). I think I'm going to replay it before Ep 2 comes out and try to go for better consistency.

Do you mean that you couldn't do the QTEs? Because that's all it is. If so, I feel for you - Manny's endgame QTEs are pretty brutal, especially compared to the rest of the game.

Also: After a recent replay, (strength path,) I realized it's not Manny who mentions Llewdor. Llewdor is where Graham claims he's from when he's pretending to be a bridge troll in the meeting.

Top Bottom