• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed Nexus for Quest Launches Today

The quest store never mentions game install size, I've noticed these games are tiny.
I'm going to guess Assassins Creed Nexus must be 4 times the size of The 7th guest my current largest install.
I wonder if they don't mention size because it makes it look like there is no content.

MarkMe2525

The quest store never mentions game install size, I've noticed these games are tiny.
I'm going to guess Assassins Creed Nexus must be 4 times the size of The 7th guest my current largest install.
I wonder if they don't mention size because it makes it look like there is no content.
I wonder if VR development forces devs to have the games so highly optimized, that there isn't much wasted space being used.

Romulus

A Quest 2!??. Go swappa.com get yourself a Quest 2 for like $175. Most people buy VR and only use it a few times before it collects dust. You can get a great condition headset for cheap

Standalone has never got games like Assassin's Creed, Asgard's Wrath 2, New Sniper Elite, Dungeons of Eternity, or Bulletstorm either. That's all coming within a 40 day window and arguably better than all the games in its entire life combined. There's another big medieval fps rpg coming next year but I forget the name.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Standalone has never got games like Assassin's Creed, Asgard's Wrath 2, New Sniper Elite, Dungeons of Eternity, or Bulletstorm either. That's all coming within a 40 day window and arguably better than all the games in its entire life combined. There's another big medieval fps rpg coming next year but I forget the name.
Oh I am excited, I was just encouraging SmokedMeat SmokedMeat to take advantage of the fact that most don't realize this. I have been browsing for a secondary quest 2 headset and was so surprised at how many are available, barely used and cheap.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I bought a Quest 3 to replace my CV1, and the upgrade is very noticeable. While it's cool to play PC games over it, it really does feel like standalone is where it should be. I've even considered buying some games I already have on PC just for the standalone (but I'm not going to). They're rolling out lots of good games. I added this to my wishlist.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
A Quest 2!??. Go swappa.com get yourself a Quest 2 for like $175. Most people buy VR and only use it a few times before it collects dust. You can get a great condition headset for cheap

Sounds like a good idea. I’m coming off the old Rift which I honestly don’t feel like setting up anymore.

The worst review I've seen or heard is the IGN 7/10. It sounded like an 8/10, but he went on about load times like some huge point. Sort of nit picky considering the scale of this game running at 80fps + high resolution on MOBILE hardware.
It’s actually running at 45fps reprojected to 90fps. I bought it and refunded within an hour, because I can’t handle fluctuating frame rates in VR.
I also feel like a lot of the good reviews were bought by Ubisoft (a ton of YouTube channels have the paid promotion tag on their reviews for this). I thought it was a pretty bland, uninspired attempt at a VR game and not worth the price at all.

Romulus

It’s actually running at 45fps reprojected to 90fps. I bought it and refunded within an hour, because I can’t handle fluctuating frame rates in VR.
I also feel like a lot of the good reviews were bought by Ubisoft (a ton of YouTube channels have the paid promotion tag on their reviews for this). I thought it was a pretty bland, uninspired attempt at a VR game and not worth the price at all.

Wasn't fluctuating for me.

You only played an hour. The first hour is a tutorial.

MarkMe2525

I've had some funky frame rates and because the reviewers I watched didn't really mentioned that being an issue, I thought something was wrong with my headset.

Wasn't fluctuating for me.

You only played an hour. The first hour is a tutorial.

Just because you aren't noticing it doesn't mean it's not happening (you can run a FPS overlay with a tool from sidequest...it's running at ~45fps most of the time). Although I suggest you don't look for it, because once you DO notice it....ugh.

I've had some funky frame rates and because the reviewers I watched didn't really mentioned that being an issue, I thought something was wrong with my headset.

Yeah, it's not your headset. There are plenty of people on Reddit complaining about it (the people who aren't in full fanboy mode).

Last edited:

RavageX

I bought this for my Quest 2.

If it sucks....I'll be back for you. AND you won't see me coming.

Actually I guess I could refund it, nevermind the threats folks!

MarkMe2525

I bought this for my Quest 2.

If it sucks....I'll be back for you. AND you won't see me coming.

Actually I guess I could refund it, nevermind the threats folks!
The comparison that i saw, was good to the Quest 2 version. The tutorial is long for my taste, but it opens up and feels like old school assassins creed.

Romulus

Just because you aren't noticing it doesn't mean it's not happening (you can run a FPS overlay with a tool from sidequest...it's running at ~45fps most of the time). Although I suggest you don't look for it, because once you DO notice it....ugh.

Yeah, it's not your headset. There are plenty of people on Reddit complaining about it (the people who aren't in full fanboy mode).

Bizzarre angle. Yeah, I saw that on Reddit, and wouldn't be surprised if that's what you saw too. But I can remember your username going years back bashing anything VR-related. PSVR, Apple, and Facebook.

Wouldn't be shocked if you're just piggybacking someone else's issue. You never post about VR unless it's negative. You hate VR but you jumped on AC Nexus day one? I don't buy it, posing as an enthusiast just to sell your angle.

Romulus

I don't have Quest 3 on the road this week. Could be some of the reason people are feeling the studders. Apparently the Quest 3 version isn't as optimized. I've been playing on Quest 2 and its smoother. This guy says the Quest 2 version feels like 60fps over 30fps for Quest 3.

Ozriel

M$FT
I'm not really following how I'm "clueless" for pointing out the very obvious deficiencies of cellphone powered VR, or noting the Mount Everest sized regression from a 4 year old game. And no this is not some random or arbitrary comparison I'm making, this just so happens to be the largest budget ground up VR game with veteran talent behind it since Half Life Alyx. Just look at this shit:

The Quest line is the main driver for VR at the moment. The sooner you understand this, the better for you.

Big improvement over the quest 2 as far as I'm concerned. The sweet spot is much larger so I can just throw the thing on my head and it's in focus most of the time, overall it's far more comfortable and the overall visual clarity is a big step forward. The colour pass through is excellent as well.

Very happy with it so far.

Yeah, after the initial update the pass-through got a lot better and looks good. I’m even happy with the stock strap.

I just wish they’d put a bit better low light sensors in it. but it’s an excellent headset so far

Techies

Got tired of waiting for Bobovr m3 to show up on Amazon so I could get it in my country so ordered some odd Chinese off brand one that had a similar design. Will see if I regret it or not, for now I'm going with the shirt with pockets strat, the bobo battery with 1m cable first nicely inside those small pockets, also have thin power banks that work just as well. The excess cable you just tuck into your shirt from the neck. It does not get into the way at all.

The cable get in the way too much when using pockets of jeans or shorts.

Also going to try an angled magnetic and angled usb cable to protect the port.

As for AC Nexus, not sure if I can play it for as long periods as I wanted too, I am getting micro stutters, feels like there's loading taking place while I'm running or walking. It's quick but I can feel my resistance dropping slowly but surely.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Got tired of waiting for Bobovr m3 to show up on Amazon so I could get it in my country so ordered some odd Chinese off brand one that had a similar design. Will see if I regret it or not, for now I'm going with the shirt with pockets strat, the bobo battery with 1m cable first nicely inside those small pockets, also have thin power banks that work just as well. The excess cable you just tuck into your shirt from the neck. It does not get into the way at all.

The cable get in the way too much when using pockets of jeans or shorts.

Also going to try an angled magnetic and angled usb cable to protect the port.

As for AC Nexus, not sure if I can play it for as long periods as I wanted too, I am getting micro stutters, feels like there's loading taking place while I'm running or walking. It's quick but I can feel my resistance dropping slowly but surely.
I have noticed the jutter as well. I'm pretty tolerant so it isn't causing much of an issue, I just wish these reviewers mentioned it. They all have been knocked down a peg in my book.

Is there any sort of free roam or exploration mode? I’d like to soak in the environment without really progressing gameplay

MarkMe2525

Is there any sort of free roam or exploration mode? I’d like to soak in the environment without really progressing gameplay
There are opportunities to just chill and observe, but the world isn't geared towards that. Now what they do have is hidden collectibles to find which encourages exploration of the game areas. That is a nice touch, as I like to look in every nook and cranny.

Bizzarre angle. Yeah, I saw that on Reddit, and wouldn't be surprised if that's what you saw too. But I can remember your username going years back bashing anything VR-related. PSVR, Apple, and Facebook.

Wouldn't be shocked if you're just piggybacking someone else's issue. You never post about VR unless it's negative. You hate VR but you jumped on AC Nexus day one? I don't buy it, posing as an enthusiast just to sell your angle.
🤣🤣🤣
Dude, I had an Oculus DK2, an Oculus CV1, a Quest 1, Quest 2, and now Quest 3. I tend to be negative on VR because I’ve been in it for so long that it takes a lot more to impress me, and my expectations are for content to have developed much farther along than it has. I don’t think Nexus is very good, because it doesn’t really do anything to push the medium forward, and it is mostly relying on IP instead of creating something new and compelling.

Romulus

🤣🤣🤣
Dude, I had an Oculus DK2, an Oculus CV1, a Quest 1, Quest 2, and now Quest 3. I tend to be negative on VR because I’ve been in it for so long that it takes a lot more to impress me, and my expectations are for content to have developed much farther along than it has. I don’t think Nexus is very good, because it doesn’t really do anything to push the medium forward, and it is mostly relying on IP instead of creating something new and compelling.

😀

Right, well next time there's another big vr milestone we can count on you to show up out of thin air to talk about how it sucks.

Just played through to the opening title screen.
I managed to “parkour” without getting motion sick.
They showed a screen with I assume were collectibles but I got zero in all categories. I found several broaches but they did not add to my inventory or collection.
What was I supposed to collect?

Top Bottom