• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Imagine playing the drums without pissing everyone on your street off. Welcome to Paradiddle (Quest, Steam)

MarkMe2525

So I downloaded Paradiddle about 20 minutes ago and I am blown away. This is the closest thing to real drum set you are going to find (in VR of course, its all relative). The latency is awesome. The feel is awesome. There are more drums than I know what do with, including things such a xylophone, steel drums, and those big ass bass drums.

The mixed reality works great and it is simple to readjust your drum positions. It looks like you have a real set of drums in your room. You can even use mixed reality to interface with an electric drum set, or turn some buckets into drums for physical feedback, but that's not really needed.

They include guitar hero like drum lessons which is neat, but the real fun is with custom songs that can very easily imported. I'll link instruction video below. If you have any interest in drums, get this. It's $14.99 after referral discount. I'll link mine below (disclaimer, Meta does reward me $5 store credit for every discount used)

Edit: I forgot to mention it interfaces with midi software and hardware. I don't know the ins and outs of this feature, but people use paradiddle to really record music.

Here is a link to the rest of my meta referral discounts if you want to check them out.
www.linktr.ee/markgulfcoast

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I like to play drums. But unless they somehow figured out how to do haptic feedback and elastic feedback you get when you hit the drum with a stick, it won't even feel remotely close. That's my opinion, anyway.
My bio dad is a drummer so I have always had exposure to drum sets. I'm not particularly good (dad would have had to stay around more consistently for that), but it does a decent job with haptics. It's surprising how our brains fill in the blanks. It may not feel "real", but I can say with confidence that you can pick up skills that translate over to the real deal. Of course the lack of a bounce limits the use of some techniques.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
We don't have any drummers here on gaf?
VR just doesn't get much attention here, otherwise I could be making several threads a day like Draugoth, Ibiza and others (except good, well informed and only for truly new games/media/big updates), but instead I relegate it to one thread and all the good stuff together are still not enough to get discussion. Maybe some platform fanboy based discussion goes on for PS VR2 or Meta specifically rather than the awesomeness of VR in general at times but that doesn't last long either. Hopefully things change soon and more folks see the light. Paradiddle is ace. And on Steam too.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

VR just doesn't get much attention here, otherwise I could be making several threads a day like draugoth, ibiza and others (except good, well informed and only for truly new games/media/big updates), but instead I relegate it to one thread and all the good stuff together are still not enough to get discussion. Maybe some platform fanboy based discussion goes on for PS VR2 or Meta specifically rather than the awesomeness of VR in general at times but that doesn't last long either. Hopefully things change soon and more folks see the light. Paradiddle is ace. And on Steam too.
So you are telling me I need to to throw shade at PSVR2 in the thread title for more engagement. Got it 😁

poodaddy

The best way to learn drums without pissing the neighbors off is to just get an electronic set and play with headphones.

As for this, it seems quite impressive, but without an actual head several techniques would be either impossible or very difficult to pull off. The feedback isn't "nice", it's essential for drumming. Even just a practice pad would be leagues more useful for learning drums than this, but it is interesting.

MarkMe2525

The best way to learn drums without pissing the neighbors off is to just get an electronic set and play with headphones.

As for this, it seems quite impressive, but without an actual head several techniques would be either impossible or very difficult to pull off. The feedback isn't "nice", it's essential for drumming. Even just a practice pad would be leagues more useful for learning drums than this, but it is interesting.
To each their own, guitarist used to go into the guitar hero threads and trash that game, and it was loads of fun. In this case, you can pick up useful eye hand coordination, and if you make yourself emulate in the kick drum, foot hand coordination.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
This is legit fun. I used my audio interface to play without latency. I injured my shoulder because I got too carried away, and I haven't been playing for a long time. Adding custom songs on Steam is also very simple.

Wonko_C

VR just doesn't get much attention here, otherwise I could be making several threads a day like Draugoth, Ibiza and others (except good, well informed and only for truly new games/media/big updates), but instead I relegate it to one thread and all the good stuff together are still not enough to get discussion. Maybe some platform fanboy based discussion goes on for PS VR2 or Meta specifically rather than the awesomeness of VR in general at times but that doesn't last long either. Hopefully things change soon and more folks see the light. Paradiddle is ace. And on Steam too.

Numbers from my ass: Probably 90% of GAF haven't put on a headset even once or we would be having more topics to talk about. (Time for a poll)

Maybe we should be doing at least one VR-related thread a day to raise awareness of the awesomeness of VR? (TBH I hesitate to do them often too, in fear of it having the opposite effect and turning people off of it.), flat game discussion no longer draws me in like before, unless it's about a game I really am into.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Numbers from my ass: Probably 90% of GAF haven't put on a headset even once or we would be having more topics to talk about. (Time for a poll)

Maybe we should be doing at least one VR-related thread a day to raise awareness of the awesomeness of VR? (TBH I hesitate to do them often too, in fear of it having the opposite effect and turning people off of it.), flat game discussion no longer draws me in like before, unless it's about a game I really am into.
That's exactly why I have committed to making topics about these awesome experiences I come across. No one ever talks about them, and damn, I want to share my excitement with people. In saying that, like Alexios Alexios mentioned, they never pick up much steam. Assassins creed was the only thread that had any real discussion and after time with it, it's a B tier experience in my eyes.

I wish I had me a PCVR set up, because the breadth of content is superior. I'm stuck with Quest only atm (not that I don't love it).

Edit: I'm also getting a PSVR2 soon. Gaf takes more to the playstation platform, so maybe we can convert a few flat gamers through that.

Last edited:

RavageX

I am always glad to see a VR thread. I have a quest 2 and both psvr 1/2. I enjoy VR a great deal but dont like trash games so anytime something interesting or quality appears im in, I just find it hard personally to weed out the crap unless its obvious.

MarkMe2525

I am always glad to see a VR thread. I have a quest 2 and both psvr 1/2. I enjoy VR a great deal but dont like trash games so anytime something interesting or quality appears im in, I just find it hard personally to weed out the crap unless its obvious.
Even more the reason to facilitate creating a larger VR community here.

poodaddy

To each their own, guitarist used to go into the guitar hero threads and trash that game, and it was loads of fun. In this case, you can pick up useful eye hand coordination, and if you make yourself emulate in the kick drum, foot hand coordination.
Absolutely, it's not useless and I'm not trashing it, thus me calling it interesting. It can definitely help develop independence, which is what newer drummers struggle the most with. I'm just saying one would still be better served by a practice pad for basic technique development and rudiments, but yeah this is interesting. Not a bad way to get started, but eventually you're gonna need something with some heads to truly move forward with technique, but this would work for most people who just wanna play 4/4 radio rock type of stuff.

MarkMe2525

Absolutely, it's not useless and I'm not trashing it, thus me calling it interesting. It can definitely help develop independence, which is what newer drummers struggle the most with. I'm just saying one would still be better served by a practice pad for basic technique development and rudiments, but yeah this is interesting. Not a bad way to get started, but eventually you're gonna need something with some heads to truly move forward with technique, but this would work for most people who just wanna play 4/4 radio rock type of stuff.
All good man. I get too excited sometimes.

MarkMe2525

There really does seem to be a sect. of gamers that seem to be against VR just on principle. For the people that are on the fence, there is still too much friction from putting on the headset and getting into the game.

This is one of the details I feel Sony dropped the ball with on PSVR2. Now I'm speaking from what I have heard from others, but if you have a friend over to check out your VR headset, I heard the process of setting up the IPD and fit for the sweetspot is not as seemless as it should be. They need to design a procedure that is quick and automatic so when that "skeptical to VR" gamer puts that headset on, they are immediately blown away. Obviously this has no bearing on the main user of the headset, but that reduces the products ability to be demonstrated properly.

Meta is almost where it needs to be (due to the enormous sweetspot), but I have noticed that its hard for a non gamer to wrap their mind around the a,b,x,y button layout. An application will tell them to press the "X" button, and they are lost. Even I have haven't fully settled into their arrangement. Maybe Apple is right to go hand tracking as the priority.

Last edited:
Top Bottom