• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quest 3 now has built in Upper Body Tracking. There is even a demo!!

MarkMe2525

I mentioned in a previous post that upper body tracking and the generative leg sdk has been released to developers last week. Now you can experience it for yourself as the first game has announced sdk's integration (Drunken Bar Fight) and Meta released an App Lab demo called Dodge Arcade.

First impressions of the tracking in Dodge Arcade are extremely positive. It completely separates your torso from your head position. Your elbows and shoulders work are represented correctly. To think this is being done all inside a $500 headset is incredibly impressive.

I took a video of it in action. You can't see me to make a comparison, but I can attest that the movement is representative of what I was doing in the real world. No lighthouses, no extra sensors.

Edit: I added a link to Dodge Arcade below the videos.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/app/6511679575602893/_utm_source=oculus&utm_medium=share
Game referrals
www.linktr.ee/markgulfcoast

Last edited:
Lol yes 😆. You don't immediately dance when you see yourself in VR? It's like a reflex.

Edit: to be fair, I was attempting to test its limits.
Theres a part in the drunken boxing video where you have a side by side of the dancing part but one looks way more glitched out, is that with the body tracking off and on?

MarkMe2525

Theres a part in the drunken boxing video where you have a side by side of the dancing part but one looks way more glitched out, is that with the body tracking off and on?
So they have one scene showing the AI generative legs (AIGL). This scene shows a guy walking up to the bar and his legs are all jittery. They show it again with with AIGL on and it is much more stable.

They then show a scene of two people fighting. This is showing the Inside Out Upper Body Tracking. Again, the first time the scene plays it's with traditional tracking, you can notice how the arms are all over the place. The second time the scene is ran, the body tracking is activated. That explains the more stable and realistic movement.

Davevil

I mentioned in a previous post that upper body tracking and the generative leg sdk has been released to developers last week. Now you can experience it for yourself as the first game has announced sdk's integration (Drunken Bar Fight) and Meta released an App Lab demo called Dodge Arcade.

First impressions of the tracking in Dodge Arcade are extremely positive. It completely separates your torso from your head position. Your elbows and shoulders work are represented correctly. To think this is being done all inside a $500 headset is incredibly impressive.

I took a video of it in action. You can't see me to make a comparison, but I can attest that the movement is representative of what I was doing in the real world. No lighthouses, no extra sensors.

Edit: I added a link to Dodge Arcade below the videos.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/app/6511679575602893/_utm_source=oculus&utm_medium=share
Game referrals
www.linktr.ee/markgulfcoast

the fuck is this shit ?

it's fucking amazing.

Love my Q3, it's a steal for that price.

Wish they have proper pcvr with cable, i would use it more than my pimax crystal if so.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I only clicked because in my haste I misread it as Quake 3. Far less interested, but the tracking is mildly interesting. It has its applications, but I still doubt it has anything about it to make it take off as a gaming platform. Cost and space are increasing factors and people would rather just sit down.

So stoked on this advancement, the jittery body is one of the biggest immersion breakers for me.

Now I have a reason to download VRchat,
TO DANCE

ManaByte

Gold Member
Now I have a reason to download VRchat,
TO DANCE
Ray Donovan GIF by Showtime

Resenge

I only clicked because in my haste I misread it as Quake 3. Far less interested, but the tracking is mildly interesting. It has its applications, but I still doubt it has anything about it to make it take off as a gaming platform. Cost and space are increasing factors and people would rather just sit down.
I'm a lazy ass and hardly ever stand up to play. VR works perfectly sat down, you can do both. I sit in my bed, couch, computer chair without any problem with a lot of games. Some games are designed around a big space and having to move around but the majority work fine in small space and sat down.

Right now I am playing Res Evil 4 on PSVR2 and playing it sat on my couch chillin.

Needing a big amount of space for VR is not essential for most games, its just nice to have.

Last edited:
Top Bottom