• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asgard's Wrath 2 |OT| AAAA VR gaming

Hot5pur

It seems the game is getting review bombed for not having any Q3 enhancements. People are hard to please but at the same time it was heavily advertised with the Q3 so they should have done more perhaps. Seems getting the quest game optimizer and giving it a resolution bump make a big difference and is worth it.

OK. So maybe I have chance to play through the first before they drop a quest 3 patch.
This is my thought too. I may wait.
For anyone out there thinking about playing the 1st game just know that the meta PC store is stupid slow to download. STUPID slow.
Set it to download and then go play something else for an entire weekend while it donwloads.
Dosn't matter your internet speed, your going to be spoon fed bits.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So many VR folks complaining on twitter or wherever about the lack of Q3 enhancements (like resolution and fps aren't enough, or the MR mode when MR was so pushed for Q3 or just having the better HW) for an 100 hour wide and deep and fun ARPG that's in dev before Q3 spec was finalized.

It's like some people would be happier with their purchase if Q2 owners were screwed over with a game they've been waiting for years looking/running like ass in comparison a la Q1 Saints & Sinners. Just enjoy a great game folks, it looks and runs beautifully.

And as a new Q3 owner go buy all awesome VR classics like Lies Beneath and Journey of the Gods even if they're never patched to take anywhere near full advantage of your hw spec (and same for PC VR folks like me).

Even if they do a substantial update it won't look like a different game, they won't remake all assets with higher polys/resolution, maybe enhance core lighting and effects and stuff.

Folks said the same for Nexus and that has significant differences in LOD, just pretend you never heard it's "as good" on Q2 and enjoy your game.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

This is my thought too. I may wait.
For anyone out there thinking about playing the 1st game just know that the meta PC store is stupid slow to download. STUPID slow.
Set it to download and then go play something else for an entire weekend while it donwloads.
Dosn't matter your internet speed, your going to be spoon fed bits.
An entire weekend? That's painful. I let the first one downloading in the morning before work and it was ready to play in the afternoon when I came back. Maybe I'm on Zuck's personal servers or something, LOL.

Hot5pur

So many VR folks complaining on twitter or wherever about the lack of Q3 enhancements (like resolution and fps aren't enough, or the MR mode when MR was so pushed for Q3 or just having the better HW) for an 100 hour wide and deep and fun ARPG that's in dev before Q3 spec was finalized.

It's like some people would be happier with their purchase if Q2 owners were screwed over with a game they've been waiting for years looking/running like ass in comparison a la Q1 Saints & Sinners. Just enjoy a great game folks, it looks and runs beautifully.

And as a new Q3 owner go buy all awesome VR classics like Lies Beneath and Journey of the Gods even if they're never patched to take anywhere near full advantage of your hw spec (and same for PC VR folks like me).

Even if they do a substantial update it won't look like a different game, they won't remake all assets with higher polys/resolution, maybe enhance core lighting and effects and stuff.

Folks said the same for Nexus and that has significant differences in LOD, just pretend you never heard it's "as good" on Q2 and enjoy your game.
There's definitely a lot of resentment, a lot of which is unhealthy.

I think for some people it's not understanding what they paid $500 for if Q3 and Q2 games are going to be the same, when the Q3 was being hailed as 2x more powerful.

The other thing was AW2 was heavily advertised with Q3 which was likely a motivation for some to buy it. People fully expected that if they were buying the flagship headset the flagship game should take full advantage of it.

The same thing happens when a PS5 launches and people rush out to buy it, and then realize that most of the major titles are going to be cross gen. It's like "why did you make me buy a PS5" then.

Personally I've justified my Q3, but I do think they should have done more with this flagship game to show off the new system, especially if the power is there. A lot of people may feel like the game they should have gotten has been held back by old hardware that they could have bought instead of spending twice as much to have more or less the same experience.

Alexios

The same thing happens when a PS5 launches and people rush out to buy it, and then realize that most of the major titles are going to be cross gen. It's like "why did you make me buy a PS5" then.
That's a bit more legit when it's been 3 years since PS5 released and that itself came 7 long years after PS4. So we're a full decade later now. Console generations hit different. Or used to at least so it makes sense for the expectation to be there.

People who buy iPhone XX don't somehow expect it to run the software/games so much better when they also ran perfectly fine on their iPhone XIX, right? Or any Android flagship compared to the previous year's model.

Or even a new GPU compared to last year's same tier model, maybe with the exception of some paradigm shift phase as with going from a 1080 to a 2080 enabling new features like RTX, which doesn't happen that often (the last was what, when pixel shaders were introduced with GeForce 4?).

Of course they'll use new hardware features like higher resolution/hz/MR/AR/whatever is brought to the table as more stuff are made for it.

If people want a bigger jump then buy hardware more than 3 years removed and/or wait for that to grow more dominant than the last version. It's not like they false advertised the game or anything, the game is as shown and as people wanted to play it.

Would people prefer a cheaper/shorter/worse game bundled if it happens to have a big Q3 enhancements update even if the insane compared to most production values and long development cycle still make Asgard's Wrath 2 better? Even visually it's better than most, relative to scale.

And here I am with some of my favorite PC VR games in the same genre being Journey of the Gods, Ancient Dungeon and Vengeful Rites, 2 out of 3 a Quest 1 could probably happily run too, never mind my PC, and NOT Asgard's Wrath 1 for all its PC spec prowess.

And of course people buying VR for the first time should go for 3 even if the games that piqued their interest run "fine" on 2, they'll appreciate it in the long run when more games can look and run so much better, not just from the most exceptional dev specimens that did wonders even on Quest 1.

Anyway, Sanzaru are working on Q3 updates but as I said earlier I doubt it will be anything transformative. If it appeases the whiners that's good though, though I'm sure crunching on pre-Xmas updates beyond potential needed fixes wasn't their ideal vision for post-launch.

Last edited:
Stoked on it because the reviews. I'll snag a quest 3 from costco soon.

edit just rebought off amazon. I had the 512 and returned it just the joystick was wonky.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
This game counties to impress. It’s so polished And I’m starting to realise it’s got great rpg elements. I’m really loving solving puzzles.

Romulus

Well they won't have to wait long. The Quest 3 patch drops next week.

Personally I've been running the game at 150% resolution(quest optimizer) and it looks very good.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Well they won't have to wait long. The Quest 3 patch drops next week.

Personally I've been running the game at 150% resolution(quest optimizer) and it looks very good.

I believe it's just an announcement of what they'll be implementing.
How is the Quest optimizer, does it chew through the battery quickly? I also don't want to heat it too much as it stop charging at full speed from my battery bank during play. Do you have a battery that you use and able to keep the quest from dropping charge at all during play with Quest Optimizer?

Alexios

Much worse graphics.
Looks much better to me, original might be higher res textures but overall it looked more garish imo (outside certain scenes like I guess the tavern you start at and such which were more polished), now it seems to have an actually decent and coherent art style, maybe a tad of an overuse of phong shading/lighting a la Nintendo to give everything a subtle or not so subtle shine, not sure but it works. And it's not too bad res wise either and has many such polished scenes and set pieces as shown in videos too even if in the more open worldish areas backgrounds/clutter objects aren't so sharp.
GBnJeoaWwAAByTl

Last edited:
So impulse bought a Quest 3 and this is a legit GOTY level game.

Like it's a proper game just in VR and not some kind of limited 'experience' type thing.

I know there are AAA games on full sized machines with VR modes and the odd game like Saints and Sinners or Half Life: Alex that are undoubtedly great but this feels like the start of something incredible.

Has to be up there with the best pack in games in history.

Romulus

So impulse bought a Quest 3 and this is a legit GOTY level game.

Like it's a proper game just in VR and not some kind of limited 'experience' type thing.

I know there are AAA games on full sized machines with VR modes and the odd game like Saints and Sinners or Half Life: Alex that are undoubtedly great but this feels like the start of something incredible.

Has to be up there with the best pack in games in history.

That's how I feel. The first few hours are kinda boring but my after that everything starts clicking in the open world. Def my GOTY.

100 hours of this is fucking awesome.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, if you're into VR, skipping this is no different than skipping Alyx, GT7 or RE4/8.

Extremely well made, surprised me with how expansive and deep everything is, it looked a little shallow on the surface to me, but they definitely delivered a great VR experience from what I've played.

Played for hours yesterday. The RPG elements are in full swing now. A very impressive game. This for me is the second best VR game after Half Life Alyx.
It plays beautifully and looks amazing for a standalone game. Truly impressive stuff. Using quest optimizer to bump the resolution makes a big difference though.

Hot5pur

Game looks perfectly fine up close, but it does scale the textures back at far away distances at little too close for my liking.
Up close there is not a dramatic differences between AW1 and AW2, which is a hell of an accomplishment. But at longer distances AW2 looks fairly washed out, but honestly for Quest 2 hardware it's super impressive.
If they can double the distance for the textures on Q3 it'll be extremely impressive for mobile hardware.
As for the game itself, I'm just dabbling for now, still want to finish AW1. What I don't like about AW1 is the stupid parry/armor system, not my cup of tea, but I can live with it.

Started Asgards Wrath 1 Yesterday after finishing HL Alyx. Does the shark dude carry over into the second game? I like pointing him to fight for me.
This game plays like a combination of First Person Hack and Slash and Third Person puzzle platforming.
I've already failed with the little nomes food riddle. :( What tastes better above it's feet? Everything? I've given him all animals I can find. Turtle, crab, starfish. and plants. nothing works.

Hot5pur

Started Asgards Wrath 1 Yesterday after finishing HL Alyx. Does the shark dude carry over into the second game? I like pointing him to fight for me.
This game plays like a combination of First Person Hack and Slash and Third Person puzzle platforming.
I've already failed with the little nomes food riddle. :( What tastes better above it's feet? Everything? I've given him all animals I can find. Turtle, crab, starfish. and plants. nothing works.

Romulus

I believe it's just an announcement of what they'll be implementing.
How is the Quest optimizer, does it chew through the battery quickly? I also don't want to heat it too much as it stop charging at full speed from my battery bank during play. Do you have a battery that you use and able to keep the quest from dropping charge at all during play with Quest Optimizer?

Patch for Quest 3 is coming this week. Resolution and LOD increase.

Optimizer is great but I do notice quicker battery drain. I use a piggyback battery that adds another 2-3 hours charge. Adds 4 ounces to the back of the headset, doubles as a counterbalance to front heavy design.

Last edited:

Alexios

Seems very experimental/untested so for now it's a toggle to avoid having to fix shit on xmas, njoy.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Seems very experimental/untested so for now it's a toggle to avoid having to fix shit on xmas, njoy.

I wouldn't say that - they say they've checked the 90fps/LOD patch in many situations - just can't test everything in a 100 hour game. Makes sense. Right now the Quest 3 version is almost exactly the same as the Quest 2 version which is a bit crazy given on average Quest 3 can boost resolution/framerate a whole heck of a lot with QGO.

I'd 100% believe that if you just did the option for the 90fps and left the resolution alone, you'd still have a better experience than the Quest 2 native. Turning both on should still be better IMO, but it does sound like maybe there's a couple instances it falls worse, but 99% of the time it's better.

People with QGO have posted the game is only using about 55-60% of the CPU/GPU of the Quest 3, so there's definitely a bit of room to push it further than just keeping it on par with Quest 2.

Minsc

Gold Member
I said njoy!!!!!!!!!! :messenger_pouting:

I just didn't agree with the extremely experimental/untested warning! Laying out the reasoning that the Quest 3 is definitely capable of a lot more than just running the exact same version as the Quest 2 :)

Alexios

Just the fact it's a toggle shows it's not tested enough, better to have folks aware rather than have them toggle everything and whine on the first sign of trouble when they can just untoggle it/report the issue/wait for a fix cos it's freaking xmas. Obviously everyone will/should instantly turn both on.

Last edited:
I hope the toggle is clear if it's on or off.

The one in Dungeons of Eternity is unclear and I can't tell which way is better. One has the characters more 'glowy' but I don't know if that's good or bad.

Resenge

Just the fact it's a toggle shows it's not tested enough, better to have folks aware rather than have them toggle everything and whine on the first sign of trouble when they can just untoggle it/report the issue/wait for a fix cos it's freaking xmas. Obviously everyone will/should instantly turn both on.
Maybe it uses more battery? seems like a good option to have a toggle due to that? Complete out of my arse guess though. :messenger_sunglasses:

Alexios

Just read the link. Nothing regarding battery. Might be a nice unintended side effect though. They do recommend against using those custom ways of increasing resolution and what not to not push the hardware too much which isn't intended or whatever.
We know some of you are experimenting with overclocking these and other settings on your own. Note that running at CPU / GPU level 5 for extended periods of time is not something we support and it may have unintended effects on battery life and overall device performance.

The Patch 1 toggles are initial, officially-supported options for Quest 3 visual enhancements, purposefully avoiding built-in options that could lead to a poor experience for those of you happy with the way the game looks and runs today.

Asgard’s Wrath 2 is a massive game to verify top to bottom. We’ve checked these settings in many—but not every—possible gameplay situations. Your mileage may vary with these toggles depending on gameplay intensity.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Just read the link. Nothing regarding battery. Might be a nice unintended side effect though. They do recommend against using those custom ways of increasing resolution and what not to not push the hardware too much which isn't intended or whatever.

I would definitely expect to get less battery life - the Quest 3 normally gets about 1.5 hours running full speed - AW2 currently falls quite a bit beyond that. So it will be nice to have the option to not get the higher/res + framerate at the benefit of better battery life if that matters to you. With an extended battery I'll see 3-4 hours even at full throttle, which is fine with me, but as it is now reports of 6+ hours or so seem to be what you get with the Quest 3 + battery strap.

Ogbert

Interested to hear how people are getting on after a few hours.

I thought the first game was hugely overrated and I’m a bit wary of these reviews.

Alexios

Clickbait or legit, you decide.

3/5 (the original got 5/5 lmao, just no, different reviewer though).

Same ol tired "no Q3 enhancements" complain (probably written before the patch then slightly edited to acknowledge it and still say it's not good enough with score unaffected) and saying the open world/fluff is worthless so it would be better if it was a short campaign with the good bits.

Oh, there's 1 comment, never saw that before, who the f pays to comment on sites, lol, god VR outlets suck so hard, can't wait for VR to be just another way to game and part of normal gaming media coverage (they suck too, but at least cover shit a bit more thoroughly rather than miss 90%).

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Can’t wait to try this. Glad that there’s a Quest 3 update before I get around to in in the next week or so.

Zannegan

Only 1 save file, and other profiles aren't allowed to play it. Guess I'll try it next year when my roommate eventually beats it...
Really? Yuck. What a completely unnecessary policy. A headset game is harder to share than a game on a regular console or PC game. It's not like people will be passing them around between a large group of friends. It's self defeating too, as theses things (like the Wii) thrive on sharing parties and in-person experiences.

But I guess that's what happens when a player like FB enters the scene. Expect it to be industry standard next gen. =/

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Only 1 save file, and other profiles aren't allowed to play it. Guess I'll try it next year when my roommate eventually beats it...
Wait, what?

I was intending to share this with my son on our new Quest 3 at Christmas.

For most games that only use a single profile (on our Quest 2), I currently just switch profiles and that works fine. But are you saying that this game forbids it?!

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I see some people saying that they managed to delete their save game to start over (yes, even this has no option in the game) by deleting the internal storage after disabling the cloud save:

Disable cloud saves in settings.
Delete the Asguard Wrath 2 folder in cloud saves - https://secure.oculus.com/my/cloud-backup/
connect to PC, then go to Internal Storage > android > DATA > com.Sanzaru.Wrath2
Deleted that folder as well.
Restarted the headset and seemed to work after a few game loads.

So I'm wondering... if I delete cloud save, the download and backup this data folder, would I later be able to manually restore it and have the save file return?

If so, I'll probably end up doing something like this to backup my son's file when I find time to play on a weekend, then go through the annoying process again to restore his and backup mine when finished. But I'm not clear if that will even work.

EDIT: but I also see reports that playing on a second account profile works fine. So I doubt struggler_guts struggler_guts is correct about the profiles thing; so far I see multiple people saying it works, and no contrary reports.

Last edited:
Really? Yuck. What a completely unnecessary policy. A headset game is harder to share than a game on a regular console or PC game. It's not like people will be passing them around between a large group of friends. It's self defeating too, as theses things (like the Wii) thrive on sharing parties and in-person experiences.

But I guess that's what happens when a player like FB enters the scene. Expect it to be industry standard next gen. =/
Plan to trade in the PS5 and pick up a Second Quest 3 this weekend. One of my kids is asking for one for Christmas. Seems to be popular with Teens.

Clickbait or legit, you decide.

3/5 (the original got 5/5 lmao, just no, different reviewer though).

Same ol tired "no Q3 enhancements" complain (probably written before the patch then slightly edited to acknowledge it and still say it's not good enough with score unaffected) and saying the open world/fluff is worthless so it would be better if it was a short campaign with the good bits.

Oh, there's 1 comment, never saw that before, who the f pays to comment on sites, lol, god VR outlets suck so hard, can't wait for VR to be just another way to game and part of normal gaming media coverage (they suck too, but at least cover shit a bit more thoroughly rather than miss 90%).
3/5 lol. Weird though because upload vr is biased towards meta compared to psvr 2...

Top Bottom