• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asgard's Wrath 2 |OT| AAAA VR gaming

Hot5pur

MmAhjot.png

Shocked we didn't have an OT so I put one together. This game is one where Meta essentially wrote a blank cheque to their development studio and they delivered a top notch 100 hour experience. If you were not aware, the original game (on PCVR) got excellent scores as well.

This is a big moment for VR as it shows Meta's commitment to AAA VR gaming on the mobile Quest platform. Quest 3 owners will get the game for free, but sadly no quest 3 enhancements aside from a 30% resolution bump. Note that Asgard's wrath 1 is included with 2 if you pre order (but again, 1 is PCVR only!!!)

Some overviews and reviews:

Edit:
Game is unlocking at 7 AM PT/10 AM PST on Dec 15.
Also in the comments seems some folks are not aware of referrals for activating new devices, you can get free store credits if you accept a referral on your meta account BEFORE you activate a new headset with it.
If you want to use mine:
25% off link also up:

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Counting down the hours. I haven't watched any recent media regarding the game so I am not sure what to expect. I hope it lives up to the hype as like many others, I have been waiting patiently for a large AAA VR rpg. I remain cautiously optimistic.

reinking

Gold Member
I picked up a couple of Quest 3s for Christmas gifts. It might be time to go ahead and open (at least one of) those.

First game is 142GB, took 2 days to download using meta store for pc. Meta slow.
I was going to play the first game first, but might as well play the second one instead.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I already have them. They also came with Agard's Wrath 2.
As long as they aren't activated yet, you can do a referral (I believe). Try it, at best we get $30, at worst it doesn't work.

Edit: this is specifically for the headset (Quest 3) not asgard wrath 2

Edit edit: they are actually doubling it temporarily to $60 each for Quest 3 activations. reinking reinking

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Will it matter if I already have a Meta account?
From what i read it does not matter if you already have an account. I believe it works for people who are upgrading from q2 to q3. I'm interested to see how it works as I have never given a referral to headset, just games.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Will it matter if I already have a Meta account?
From what i read it does not matter if you already have an account. I believe it works for people who are upgrading from q2 to q3. I'm interested to see how it works as I have never given a referral to headset, just games.
I can confirm this.

Had a Quest 2 (already had an active Meta account), upgraded to Quest 3, and claimed Asgard's Wrath 3 2 for free in the same account.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

First game is 142GB, took 2 days to download using meta store for pc. Meta slow.
I was going to play the first game first, but might as well play the second one instead.
I think it's like 70-80 GB but installs to 140. Not sure where is the rush, I still plan to finish 1 before starting 2, but I understand the temptation....
I can confirm this.

Had a Quest 2 (already had an active Meta account), upgraded to Quest 3, and claimed Asgard's Wrath 3 for free in the same account.
Seems you've taken this God concept to heart, let us mere mortals know how the 3rd entry pans out (no spoilers please!)

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Wait what?
They bundle it with Q3 and it have no enhancements? Hard to beilive. Source?
Not yet. Just stable frame rates for now. I think enhancements will come later. Really stupid decision nevertheless.

I think they just ran out of time to do it before Quest 3 release date.

Hot5pur

So those this have to run off the quest or can it be streamed over steam vr?
It's standalone only, so running off the headset.
Not yet. Just stable frame rates for now. I think enhancements will come later. Really stupid decision nevertheless.

I think they just ran out of time to do it before Quest 3 release date.
A dev responded on reddit, technically there are enhancements but they are minor. I don't think Meta wants Quest 3 to be the "next gen", maybe they just want a portfolio of devices that lets people access their ecosystem, and don't want to irritate the large Quest 2 userbase by making Quest 3 seem much better while having it cost twice as much. I think right now they are just trying to strap as many Quests to people's face as possible.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
How is the first game? Is it worth a playthrough before the second?

I'm late to the party but I just recently got things needed to play pcvr.

RagnarokIV

The game's title is awful, sounds like a fake mobile game. So with the OT title calling it "AAAA Gaming", I thought it was going to be an ironic joke thread lol

Hot5pur

Definitely worth playing, still holds really well and better than a lot of what's out there.

The game's title is awful, sounds like a fake mobile game. So with the OT title calling it "AAAA Gaming", I thought it was going to be an ironic joke thread lol
Well the "AAAA" is a joke on many levels. For one, no one knows what A, AA, AAA gaming is. Recently people started using AAAA for games with excessive budgets that don't make sense anymore.
VR is notorious for not having full blown games especially when meta start prioritizing mobile, and only recently have we started seeing some serious releases (eg. Assassin's creed).
So calling a VR game AAAA is somewhat funny in many ways given the state of the industry.

Wonko_C

So those this have to run off the quest or can it be streamed over steam vr?
It runs directly on the Quest, and it's a first-party exclusive so no PC version. Only the first game was released on PCVR, and only on the Oculust Rift store, so no Steam VR. But if you don't own a Meta headset you can still play it with Re-Vive on any PC compatible headset. AND if you preorder AW2 on the Quest Store (a few hours left to do so), you get the first one for free, which I've been playing over the last two weeks.

It's extremely good, and it's quite a looker (hefty requirements, though), I managed to run it well with high settings on my 3070 Ti via Virtual Desktop. It does stutter sometimes even at lowest settings via Airlink, but Virtual Desktop does an admirable job of cleaning most of it up.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
It runs directly on the Quest, and it's a first-party exclusive so no PC version. Only the first game was released on PCVR, and only on the Oculust Rift store, so no Steam VR. But if you don't own a Meta headset you can still play it with Re-Vive on any PC compatible headset. AND if you preorder AW2 on the Quest Store (a few hours left to do so), you get the first one for free, which I've been playing over the last two weeks.

It's extremely good, and it's quite a looker (hefty requirements, though), I managed to run it well with high settings on my 3070 Ti via Virtual Desktop. It does stutter sometimes even at lowest settings via Airlink, but Virtual Desktop does an admirable job of cleaning most of it up.
My only fear is that my laptop configuration doesn't get recognized. It's a Zephyrus G14 it has RX6700S and Ryzen 6900.

So far I've tested skyrim and fallout 4. Skyrim is good but fallout just lag, it's almost unplayable.

Oh yeah, my headset is the meta quest 3, is the resolution too high for my pc?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Noice. What a shitty 'gameplay' launch trailer though. 3 arrows and 1 sword slash, end. Sure, there's footage elsewhere but come on. It's your launch trailer, it should be the best.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
PSA if it crashes on your Quest 3, clearing the app data in system -> storage fixes it for many people. It seems to be a common enough to report issue (possibly for folks using other language translation packs or whatever).

Last edited:

A.Romero

It looks pretty good. I'm really trying to not cave in and go back to Meta for VR. I'm still salty of how they made the Rift obsolete before it was due by just not selling any replacement parts. I had to patch the cable because it was impossible to find a replacement for under $200 from the second hand market.

Wonko_C

My only fear is that my laptop configuration doesn't get recognized. It's a Zephyrus G14 it has RX6700S and Ryzen 6900.

So far I've tested skyrim and fallout 4. Skyrim is good but fallout just lag, it's almost unplayable.

Oh yeah, my headset is the meta quest 3, is the resolution too high
Most likely it will be unplayable, I don't even know if setting the resolution and detail as low as possible would even help with that GPU.

Hot5pur

Oof. Really feeling that storage space disappear in the 128 GB model. Should have been at least 256GB as base, what does SD storage cost like pennies?
Game is good but I do feel the graphical quality difference right away. Maybe they'll let us bump the render scale in the graphics at some point (don't feel like using that optimizer quite yet).

That Blacksmith is HUGE!
Nice to play this native to the Quest 3.
The visuals are much better than I expected after hearing it looks the same as the older Quest 2.
Quest 2 users must be happy about this.

Top Bottom