• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Fewer 3rd party exclusive deals in future; 1st party is the focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly is a better long term strategy.

Interview with Phil Spencer at China Joy 2015 (around 6 minute mark): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TtrBgKoU2s

"My strategy is more around our own first party franchises, and investing in franchises that we own, and probably fewer exclusive deals for third party content. I want to have strong third party relations, but paying for many third party exclusives isn’t our long term strategy. This year, the fact that we’re shipping Halo 5, Gears of War, Forza 6, Fable, we can only do that and build that best line-up we’ve ever seen really on the back of franchises that we own. It’s great to have Tomb Raider as part of our line-up, but investing in first party, you’ll see more of that at gamescom next week, is really core to our strategy."

Can't link them here, but thanks to Dualshockers for the link.

joeyjoejoe

Neo Member
How did that work out for Nintendo?

Edit: I think that his back is against a wall and MS can't lock in the third party exclusives like sony can (or even if 3rd parties want exclusivity anymore).

Mugatu

I think that's definitely the smarter way to go from a business standpoint. Strategies like this tend to change so we'll see what actually happens though.

I think they can and possibly, should still have third party exclusives but it would be smarter for those to focus on unique features (ex. Kinect or Move or the WiiU gamepad) that other platforms don't offer.

MS' major weakness has been their first-party output since the Kinect took off, so I'd call this good news.

And lol @ the Wii U comparison. Having 3rd party support is not the same as pursuing 3rd party exclusives.

This is what I've been waiting for. Hopefully this materializes in form of new, interesting first party IP's. I remember there was small interview this week where Spencer said something along lines that they should try their hand at some more arty titles too.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That makes sense and cannot be argued, but I feel that is not the only reason why there will be less third party deals.

Great news if it does pan out with more new and diverse first party games.

Considering install base, it'd cost way more than they'd probably usually spend to secure 3rd party exclusives than it would have cost last gen.

So this makes sense.

Agreed.

Toki767

Considering install base, it'd cost way more than they'd probably usually spend to secure 3rd party exclusives than it would have cost last gen.

So this makes sense.

Gren

Fine by me. Can only mean more PC games in a timely manner, whether it be through Win10 ports or less RotTR deals.

etta

my hard graphic balls
That makes sense and cannot be argued, but I feel that is not the only reason why there will be less third party deals.

Great news if it does pan out with more new and diverse first party games.

They're just doing what Sony did last gen. It's not going to work out the same, Sony was able to catch up due to Europe and Asia, but at least there's US/NA and UK.

Shang

Very good to hear this; I only hope that lots of the 1st party games in question are new intellectual properties, as I greatly enjoyed all of the new IP thus far.

Ushay

This new strategy is exactly what drives console adoption. Nintendo Are arguably the kings of 1st party and their console to software attach rates reflect that. MS looks like they aiming for something similar but with strong 3rd party support.

Either way I'm excited to see Windows 10 & Xbox synergy going forward. Will make building a new PC worthwhile this fall.

Sydle

It's good to hear him say it again and I'm looking forward to seeing what he has in store.

While Quantum Break, Crackdown, and Scalebound all sound great, my daydreams about first-party IP for Xbox are all pretty much Rare IP related. I love how KI turned out and now I want to see Battletoads, Banjo-Kazooie, Viva Pinata, and Perfect Dark become mainstay franchises.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I wish they had realized this for the 4 years of 360 i was dying for content outside of gears forza and halo.

They are taking a page out of PS3s book, which is great.

TomShoe

Banned
3rd party exclusive deals have to be horribly expensive, especially now given how well the PS4 is selling.

True that. The check Microsoft would have to write to cover lost PS sales would be massive. It's a solid strategy, but they need some more long-term studios that can consistently pump out diverse titles.

Probably a good time to look at what every Microsoft studio is working on right now:

343 Industries - Halo 5
Team Dakota - Project Spark
Turn 10 Studios - Forza 6
Twisted Pixel Games - New IP
Lionhead Studios - Fable Legends
Rare - Sea of Thieves
Mojang - Minecraft
The Coalition - Gears 4
Press Play - Unknown
Decisive Games - Unknown "Strategy" Game

Add in Remedy (Quantum Break), Armature (ReCore), Platinum (Scalebound), The Behemoth, Certain Affinity (MCC), and Cloudgine (Crackdown), and you've got a pretty strong lineup right there.

Trup1aya

Edit: I think that his back is against a wall and MS can't lock in the third party exclusives like sony can (or even if 3rd parties want exclusivity anymore).

What does Nintendo have to do with this? He said they are gonna spend less on 3rd patty exclusives and more on MS IPs... He didn't say he was going to shy away from third parties altogether.

PooBone

Errrrrrr, whut? It's all about $. And nobody has more of it than M$.

Nesther

More Rare stuff and Phantom Dust is all I really want. I'm happy to see that Rare is getting back into the game, I believe we'll see a lot more of them in the next few years.

Phantom Dust making a comeback after the dev drama would be great too.

Dabanton

Just what I like to hear. It's the thing that will make the system stand out in the long run.

It's the lesson Sony had to learn last gen and the one it seems MS is taking onboard for this one. Third party games will be there whatever happens.

Have a more varied first party lineup and I'll be very happy. Their off on the right foot imo so far.

It's a no brainer, paying for timed exclusives is such a waste, how many people will buy an Xbox one for tomb raider when we know it will end up on PS4 anyway?

People will buy the Xbox one for kick arse 'real' exclusives.

Well, it doesn't make much sense for third parties to align with Microsoft in terms of exclusivity.
The PS4 is the dominant console in terms of marketshare, and that makes those kinds of deals harder to come by.

Great that he sees value in breaking out of the Gears Halo Forza Fable cycle.

Hopefully they realize that pumping all the money into those and rushing out halfbaked sequels to the less popular franchises isn't a good strategy. Here's hoping Crackdown 3 is the start of that

ERMint13

They are just going to be more selective. The deals are getting more expensive as Sony continues to build a lead.

If they have a chance to secure a 6-12 month exclusive deal for a decent rate they will jump on it. I don't know how many console exclusives they will contract this generation unless things turn around. Certainly it would have to be less then the 360 era at this rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom