• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Fewer 3rd party exclusive deals in future; 1st party is the focus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Hope he doesn't forget their japanese IP's.

Let's just stick with reasonable goals. After what happened to phantom dust...we should just be happy that they are making a concerted push on their first party efforts.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Making deals with 3rd party publishers has become extremely expensive for MS, especially since PS4 has a massive lead.

Elios83

That is an obvious strategy when you're not the market leader. It's not really their choice ;)
Third parties just don't want to make such deals with you, you have to convince them and then they ask for way too much, costs are higher than benefits.
Just like Sony did during the PS3 era it's better to focus on first party titles and cultivate relationships with a few talented studios.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
It's funny. Between Microsoft and Sony, Microsoft is actually the publisher sitting on a gold mine of IPs that they're simply not utilising. Which is why Sony continues to come up with new ones to try and create franchises.

So you'd think that all these years it would have been Microsoft pumping out the 1st party exclusives instead of Sony. Funny how that works. Hopefully this means Microsoft will start to put these IPs to work. From Rare's stable alone they have a shitload sitting there.

Forget stuff like Crimson Skies, MechAssault, RalliSport, N3 (loved those games), Black & White and stuff like that. They're really sitting on a LOT of genuinely worthwhile IPs and if you can combine that with new stuff, they could really build themselves a pretty good library of 1st party exclusives if they so chose to.

Trup1aya

True that. The check Microsoft would have to write to cover lost PS sales would be massive. It's a solid strategy, but they need some more long-term studios that can consistently pump out diverse titles.

MS has a ton of awesome IPs already that are just collecting dust...

I'd be happy if they gave some worthy independent developers a shot at reviving some of these franchises... Just like they've done with KI.

Then if things work out well, they could make some acquisitions...

How did that work out for Nintendo?

what.png

jelly

It's not cost effective, always possible or will have any noticeable impact with PS4 dominating.

Good news but something other than the usual pillar cycles. I want Crimson Skies, Midtown Madness back and some new stuff.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I don't see their interest in doing third party preferred marketing deals dwindling yet... He's likely referring to full on publishing exclusivity

Not really surprising.

To lock in those third party exclusives the moneyhats would be too large to compensate the developer/publisher for the lost PS4 sales.

With a install base of half the PS4 size there's no way they would be able to justify massively overpaying for a title. Each title would just be a loss leader for them to entice more people to the XBone. Not something that shareholders would look very favourably on.

It makes first party development look like a bargain in comparison...

MS are sitting on a gold mine of IPs to use so this is a good thing.

Also, don't MS count games where they own the IP as first party? E.g. Phil calls ReCore a first party exclusive, even though its a third party dev.

A.Romero

I hope it works for them but I don't think it is comparable to the PS3 as first party was always part of Sony's strategy. I'm sure Sony was pretty confident that the PS3 would be a success and still had quite a few 1st party efforts lined up like Killzone and Motorstorm.

I really hope Microsoft is successful in building some nice 1st party studios. It seems to me that 1st party offerings the best things that come out for consoles most of the times.

rpg_fan

Good to see the focus on making their own game. I just hope Phil embraces the diversity of their back catalog.

Well no shit, I look at it as though there are far fewer 3rd parties willing to sign for an XB1 exclusive now compared to even when the XB1 was announced a couple years ago, I think a lot of 3rd parties are surprised how things ended up. The sales gap between XB1 and PS4 is insane at this point and it's only increasing, 3rd parties want a piece of PS4.

I see 3rd party exclusives as Tomb Raider, Street Fighter etc which don't benefit any console owner, there's all that talk about SFV not happening as quickly if Sony had not stepped in but I don't believe that nonsense for one second. If Capcom really can't at this point fund a SF then the company is well and truly fucked, don't know how they will cope with making MH games without PS2 assets in the future.

The MS and Sony funded IPs like Sunset and Heavy Rain are fucking awesome, long may that continue rather than the Tomb Raider and SF shit.

The Flash

Banned

Also, don't MS count games where they own the IP as first party? E.g. Phil calls ReCore a first party exclusive, even though its a third party dev.

Well owning the IP would make it a first party game.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Difference is Sony had a huge stable of established devs.

Microsoft got started on that waaaaay too late. We won't see a PS3 turnaround with the Xbox One. Sorry, but that was scratched off the chalkboard years ago.
Out of curiosity, how many did Sony have during the PS3 and how many pumped out good stuff?
Or would that be considered list wars stuff?

Guymelef

Pretty sure lose Call of Duty deal is a Microsoft own decision and they prefere to spend that money in Lococycle 2.

Sony had first AND third parties going. It's what set them apart from the Xbox 360, which was mostly first party games at the end.

I kinda think you need both for a successful console. Like, first party games sell your system and third party games gives it more meat on the bones. It's difficult to juggle both, but I think next year Sony is going to do fine bringing up both fronts, and MS shouldn't just back down. They have a wealth of first party IPs, but third party games keeps that momentum going.

Also, third party games cater to hardcore gamers. Titanfall isn't a COD or Gears sized hit, but it sure did some damage in the sales.

What I'm saying is, MS, say "fuck it" and start giving people the whole pie. Go for it.

Out of curiosity, how many did Sony have during the PS3 and how many pumped out good stuff?

Yes, yes it would. You are asking something subjective when the result stands for itself.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I see 3rd party exclusives as Tomb Raider, Street Fighter etc which don't benefit any console owner, there's all that talk about SFV not happening as quickly if Sony had not stepped in but I don't believe that nonsense for one second. If Capcom really can't at this point fund a SF then the company is well and truly fucked, don't know how they will cope with making MH games without PS2 assets in the future.

The MS and Sony funded IPs like Sunset and Heavy Rain are fucking awesome, long may that continue rather than the Tomb Raider and SF shit.

Don't start this crap again.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

If they own the IP, it's the very definition of a 1st party title. The fact that a 3rd party developer makes it is technically irrelevant. I wouldn't be surprised if it's cheaper that way.

It's worked out great for Killer Instinct. I actually think long term, doing it the Killer Instinct way helps with 3rd party stuff too, because they're hopefully building a strong relationship with a 3rd party dev on a 1st party title.

I don't have a number off the top of my head. I recall -- as 3rd party exclusives diminished -- gaps started showing up in the yearly 360 lineup whereas PS3 had 1st party games (many of them smaller, to be honest) year-round. By the time Kinect came out, it was pretty widely accepted that 360 had become a "Halo/Gears/Fable/Forza" box while PS3 continued to push new IPs.

Microsoft closed a lot of studios during that time and re-assigned studios to do Kinect stuff (Rare being the most notable. People seem to forget the intense outrage of Rare becoming a Kinect dev). Microsoft was very much lacking in exclusives and 1st-party devs by the end of the 360's life cycle.

Now Microsoft seems to be rebuilding. It will be a number of years before we see the fruits of their efforts. Meanwhile, PS4 continues to expand the gap between it's own library and the X1's library, especially when you consider downloadable/indie titles.

Hawk269

I will take 1st party games most of the time. I think Phil realizes that 1st party is the way to go and this is nothing new. A lot of the 1st party games have been well into development and at GC we will get to see more of what they have been working on.

Microsoft added 6 new studios to their first-party (MS Vancouver, Victoria, Lift London, Team Dakota, Twisted Pixel and Press Play, although Victoria was shut down and Lift are on Hololens now) line-up by around 2012 and before that they added a couple of others too, 1st party "expansion" was the plan before Xbox One came out, now they're owning almost all the IP they are making too.

I don't really see much changing since that expansion period of 2011/12, since then we've added some Hololens studios (undetermined size), Decisive Games which haven't been officially announced or detailed and Mojang which employs 40~ people I think?

Im sure that the PS4s success has dented their ability to get third-party exclusives but a focus on 1st party as I said isn't exactly a new thing.

Would you consider Bloodborne and The Order first-party Sony games? I think anything they own is reasonably a first-party game, although he also considers SO/Ryse first party because they funded and published them, which also seems somewhat reasonable although others may not agree so much.

This really says nothing. We obviously see there's a number of first part games coming out, but Sony, if you count reputable indie studios, have more third party exclusives than MS has first party.

MS needs to start up more studios if they are really serious about this, and they need to mend up relationships with indies.

baconcow

After hearing about Dragon Quest Builders, I'm sure he is not pleased with Square Enix even with their Tomb Raider exclusivity

hawk2025

Phil also wasn't in charge 10 years ago.

In the era of Phil, this is happening at just about the right time.

Indeed.

I believe we call this "The Phil Spencer Effect".

Microsoft added 6 new studios to their first-party (MS Vancouver, Victoria, Lift London, Team Dakota, Twisted Pixel and Press Play, although Victoria was shut down and Lift are on Hololens now) line-up by around 2012 and before that they added a couple of others too, 1st party "expansion" was the plan before Xbox One came out, now they're owning almost all the IP they are making too.

I don't really see much changing since that expansion period of 2011/12, since then we've added some Hololens studios (undetermined size), Decisive Games which haven't been officially announced or detailed and Mojang which employs 40~ people I think?

Im sure that the PS4s success has dented their ability to get third-party exclusives but a focus on 1st party as I said isn't exactly a new thing.

Would you consider Bloodborne and The Order first-party Sony games? I think anything they own is reasonably a first-party game, although he also considers SO/Ryse first party because they funded and published them, which also seems somewhat reasonable although others may not agree so much.

'lil Freudian slip there, Stevey? ;)

etta

my hard graphic balls
I don't have a number off the top of my head. I recall -- as 3rd party exclusives diminished -- gaps started showing up in the yearly 360 lineup whereas PS3 had 1st party games (many of them smaller, to be honest) year-round. By the time Kinect came out, it was pretty widely accepted that 360 had become a "Halo/Gears/Fable/Forza" box while PS3 continued to push new IPs.

Microsoft closed a lot of studios during that time and re-assigned studios to do Kinect stuff (Rare being the most notable. People seem to forget the intense outrage of Rare becoming a Kinect dev). Microsoft was very much lacking in exclusives and 1st-party devs by the end of the 360's life cycle.

Now Microsoft seems to be rebuilding. It will be a number of years before we see the fruits of their efforts. Meanwhile, PS4 continues to expand the gap between it's own library and the X1's library, especially when you consider downloadable/indie titles.
I found IGN's article and saw roughly 10-11 solid studios for PlayStation. Can't find anything for Xbox. Is there a thread we can discuss this, I have a feeling that the "Sony has more first party studios" line needs to be reanalyzed with all the studios Xbox created under Spencer.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Hahaha. Spencer saying that he wants to focus on first party titles instead of going after exclusive third party deals is simply because Rise of the Tomb Raider is going to bomb all things considered and get crushed by Fallout 4. Hell, I would be saying the same thing now too if I was him. What's truly funny is that he wasn't saying this pre-E3. I'm sure he was all hyped and happy that Rise of the Tomb Raider was no longer going to go head to head with Uncharted 4 but then Fallout 4 gets announced for the same day at E3 and it all went down the drain. And quite honestly, this is something that Spencer and Microsoft should have been concentrating and focusing on BEFORE acquiring Rise of the Tomb Raider to be a one year timed exclusive.

Great news; I feel this is what Sony were pursuing post PS2 era. After the very rocky launch of the PS3 and losing a lot of the marketshare to the Xbox 360 (especially considering how much marketshare the PS2 held and did manage to strike a lot of third party deals/timed exclusives, eg. GTA San Andreas), Sony focused a lot on first party output, especially post 2009.

It's pretty much the same here; after the successful Xbox 360 (i.e. like the PS2, it had many third party deals and majority marketshare in many countries), Microsoft have lost majority marketshare to their competitors in countries like NA and UK, so now they will focus mainly on first party output rather than strike third party deals.

I'd say that's a fair assessment of each respective situation. What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom