• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #172 - "Incomplete"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowlick

Banned
Theme now!

Theme: "Incomplete"

Word Limit: 1800

Submission Deadline: Thursday, August 13th by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Friday, August 14th, and goes until Monday, August 17th at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Grace Periods: Each of the above deadlines will be followed by a 6-hour grace period. Submissions made after the end of the grace period will be ineligible, and votes cast after the end of the grace period will not be counted. Remember that these are grace periods, not extensions of the deadline--you should still submit your work or cast your vote by the deadline set above.

Optional Secondary Objective: "Under pressure"

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

John Dunbar

correct about everything
automatically fulfilling the secondary by writing something 3am on saturday.

edit: wait a second, thursday? what is this new devilry?

Mike M

Nick N
The story of a pressure cooker embarking on a quest with a cadre of aging appliances to be reunited with their former owner.

Nezumi

Noooo, my Saturday morning writing.

Actually the changed deadline suits me rather well, since I might be spending Saturday morning in a car anyway and this time I wouldn't have my husband with me to check my spelling and grammar.

Neeener

Neo Member
Ack... The word count!
Ack... No Saturday morning writing!

I, for one, shall be interpreting the theme literally.

Mike M

Nick N
Because I am the most observant man on earth, I just noticed our deadlines all got moved up a day : O

That may impact my ability to write 2K+ words of feedback.

Cowlick

Banned
Because I am the most observant man on earth, I just noticed our deadlines all got moved up a day : O

That may impact my ability to write 2K+ words of feedback.
Blame my time zone for that -- I looked back at past threads and tried to pick similar deadlines/dates that best suited USAGAF. If everyone could use more time, happy to change it.

Cyan

Banned
Blame my time zone for that -- I looked back at past threads and tried to pick similar deadlines/dates that best suited USAGAF. If everyone could use more time, happy to change it.

Oh, I thought it was intentional and thematic!

It's against the rules to post something you've written before but haven't submitted to a challenge right? Cause I have something perfect for this damn it.

Mike M

Nick N
Sometimes When I Agree to Meet Someone Somewhere, I’ll Arrive Just a Little Early and Set All the Clocks Ahead Exactly Seventeen Minutes. Then, When They Finally Get There, I Act All Indignant About How They Don’t Value My Time.

The last Bethany remembered, she was at the state fair with her closest friends. Now there was only darkness.

The ground felt cold and hard as she struggled to her feet and slowly turned in circles. So complete was the blackness around her that she could not tell the difference between having her eyes open or shut. Unable to perceive whatever threats could potentially lurk out of sight, she opted to remain in one place as her mind raced in her attempt to remember how she had come to be in this empty place.

Somewhere in the darkness emanated the heavy thud of a lever being thrown, and a single bulb dangling from above flickered to life. Below it was a table made of stainless steel, its surface covered in an array of precisely ordered instruments of unknown function or purpose, their wicked metal edges and points gleaming in the glaring light.

Bethany staggered over to the table, her mind struggling to comprehend what was happening, to understand why anyone would have brought her to this terrible place to face what was certainly to be a horrible fate. At length, she was finally able to articulate her confusion and despair for the darkness all around her to hear.

“Mooooooooooooooooooooo.”

“Oh good,” came a voice from the gloom. “I see you’ve found my little collection.” Behind the table and into the light stepped a man with a luscious head of hair that absolutely did not start thinning when he hit his thirties, his improbably perfect BMI score evident from his chiseled features and rippling muscles. “Well technically it’s not really my collection,” he continued. “My own collection of torture implements is totally vintage and far too valuable to use on a silly little diversion such as this. No, these are just rentals.”

“Moooooooooooooooooooooo,” mooed Bethany.

A grin of perfectly white, straight teeth spread across the man’s face. The sort of smile that would make you swear that he had to have had some work done and make you want to end your own life when you realized that no, he was really just that perfect. “Oh, I wouldn’t worry,” he assured his guest. “I won’t let you suffer long. I only have this venue until five, then I need to clear out for a Bat Mitzvah. It’s just a rental.

“Allow me to introduce myself,” he continued. “I am Nicholas N. You may have heard of me.”

Bethany hadn’t. “Moooooooooooooooooooooo,” she said.

“Why have I brought you here, you ask?” the man said. Bethany hadn’t, but it did not seem wise to interrupt. Besides, he spoke with such a compelling cadance that you couldn’t help but be mesmerized by his soothing tone. Bethany had no doubt that women regularly swooned into those sculpted biceps. “Tell me, Bethany, are you aware of what a circadian rhythm is?”

Bethany stared at him, chewing her cud in mute incomprehension.

“The circadian rhythm!” Nicholas boomed, his voice echoing off distant, unseen walls and rebounding back upon the pair. “The pattern by which we conduct our daily lives! Any biological process that displays an endogenous entrainable oscillation of about twenty-four hours! Surely we can find agreement that this is something of great import, yes?”

“Moo.”

“Now how would you feel if someone came along and disrupted it for you, hm? Threw you off your equilibrium, knocked you off balance?”

Bethany had already lost interest in the conversation and lowered her gaze to the bright and shiny tools on the table. Stepping closer to get a better look, she accidentally bumped the table with her sizeable muzzle and sent the pieces on the outermost edges clattering to the floor.

“Hey! Hey!” Shouted Nicholas N. “I told you, these are rentals! You’re going to make me lose my deposit!”

Suitably cowed, Bethany retreated a step back and hung her head.

Nicholas swept his fingers through his fabulous hair as he regained his composure. “Now where was I? Ah, yes. You see, Bethany, I have a system. Topics are made Tuesday morning, yes? By the end of the day, when most people are still brainstorming what they shall write about, I already have a first draft. By the time anyone else has completed their first draft, I have completed a minimum of thirty-six. By the time other contestants have finished their work and submitted it for judgement and votes, I have already completed a complex statistical analysis and psychological model to predict the winner and next topic and am busy brainstorming no less than seventy-two possible ideas for stories. Do you get what I’m saying, Bethany? A system. A complex system, one that can only produce quality outputs if it receives quality input. Garbage in, garbage out, as the saying goes.”

With lightning fast reflexes, Nicholas grabbed a particularly nasty looking instrument--all points and serrated edges--and waved it under Bethany’s nose. “Your sin, Bethany,” he hissed, “is that you’ve thrown off my system. The topic was generated late! The customary deadlines have been altered! Everything is in disarray, and I will not have it!”

Coming around the table to Bethany’s side, Nicholas stood menacingly above her, silhouetted against the blazing bulb overhead. With each syllable he spoke, he drew closer, weapon in hand. “What. Do. You. Have. To. Say. For. Yourself?”

“Mooooooooooooooooooooooo.”

Cowlick

Banned

giphy.gif

Neeener

Neo Member

Wait, so you picked it because of Saturday morning writing? ok, guess I can live with that.
(Clears Friday morning schedule)

ive stayed up until 2am for many a conference call or client meeting... Don't take the one timezone advantage we have. Sniff sniff

Cyan

Banned
Hey dudes, if you want to complete your story (or start it!), the standard bi-weekly hangout is go in about half an hour:

Lasts for two hours and should be a good time. :)

Tangent

Oh man I missed the hangout! But was so excited to see I got an invite. Woo hoo!

Congrats, Cowlick! And man this prompt and secondary are both so great. I could just write an autobiography and call it a day.

Nezumi

Damn it feels weird writing this story on the evening of a weekday. But I did the math. It's either now or never for me :(

I swear if I wake up tomorrow and see that you caved and changed the deadline, I'm gonna go ahead and kill the first cow I can find.

Nezumi

Then again, after two hours of not managing to write a single word, a change of the deadline would actually be nice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom