• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #172 - "Incomplete"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neeener

Neo Member
1. Mikem
2. Flowersisamerican
3. Cyan

Mikem- loved this so much, what a cool idea!
Flowers- why didn't he just keep using the same novel for each mark? Great though.
Cyan- loved the vagueness and the connection between the stories. Left with so much curiosity! :)

No time for full feedback this week... But for the story architect (izunadono), UK is actually 5 hours ahead not behind... I thought Sarah was in the middle of the Pacific for a bit :)

Mike M

Nick N
Feedback will have to come in a separate, possibly tardy post, but here are some votes.

1. frekifox7
2. Ashes
3. Charade

Izuna

Banned
1. Mikem
2. Flowersisamerican
3. Cyan

Mikem- loved this so much, what a cool idea!
Flowers- why didn't he just keep using the same novel for each mark? Great though.
Cyan- loved the vagueness and the connection between the stories. Left with so much curiosity! :)

No time for full feedback this week... But for the story architect (izunadono), UK is actually 5 hours ahead not behind... I thought Sarah was in the middle of the Pacific for a bit :)

EDIT2:

... Oops lol

Drinking game, start!
Player Asshole. Begin.

A Ballad for a King: the good news is I was thinking this was Cowlick's for a while, so I was wondering how he's suddenly jumped in level so much (considering he just entered two times). The bad news is that there was the glaring 'like' in the first sentence, which is basically the sign of lack of confidence in the ability to get it right (which is why it's every teenager's favourite word). It reveals the writer head-on and stops any reader dead. Having a stop or semicolon after 'silence' might have been preferable, while removing that 'like' appeal to metaphor. Something similar happens at the end of that paragraph when she's looking to get out of the wind, but she's on a hill (which is odd, because wind typically doesn't come down a hill), and it's supposedly empty yet I can see a lot of ways to get away from this mystery wind. I feel you could probably delete the entire first paragraph and start with 'this must be it' to increase pacing and avoid telling things we don't need to know about, because it becomes obvious later anyway.
Also, I'm assuming you meant 'she struck a few awkward chords', not Metallica going from "I cannot live! I cannot die! Trapped in myself!" to "Donald had a fucking faaaaaaa-aaarm, yeah! * pling! Pling! PLING!* ". If 'cord' is what you wanted, you needed a more deliberate, thoughtful action than 'strike', mostly due to 'strike a chord' being its own phrase already. I'm going to ignore whether or not the song actually feels musical due to the short length of these challenges, but I could not imagine a tune to it (yet).

An Untold Story: is ‘stolen over me’ a common English expression? I mean, it sounds familiar, but I haven’t heard it anywhere recently. Not bitching, just asking. Bitching would be about the word ‘fey’. And that Desiderius Erasmus incorrectly translated Pandora’s vase into Pandora’s box, which is just something I happen to know. And that the answer is fuck no. Good for exercise, but I did not really care for this one.
sorry
Green Drazi for life! *jumps *

Architect: hey, this is pretty goo- “like Inception”. Goddammit. Ok, on the use of external / real-world references: that is world-building only, never a character’s desire, since we know those desires when the character is human as ‘universal’ to ourselves. Strike that ‘like namedrop’ bit, it’s not needed (unless you want to write meta commentary or something awful like Ready Player One. Ha! Meta-META!). Other than that the ending, as you said, is a bit sudden, I really liked this one. There is one thing that could use refinement though, and that is character voice. What I mean is that Sarah never sounds British to the reader, and while you might find it cliché to write, her voice “should” give away that quality to the reader when she speaks. Cyan’s favorite book by Orson Scott Card might be all you need to get there.

Beyond The Gates: ‘light peaked down’… ‘Lara gave the person beside her’. Ok, so I’m an asshole and verified idiot, but: Who is the narrator here? Because I feel the first quote doesn’t gel with the second. I don’t know the correct naming for it, but the first seems an involved third person (peaked), where the second is passive third person (X action referent). And if we add writer- and character voice into it, the word ‘person’ isn’t a good fit either way (afaik). Writer voice: “Lara gave the woman beside her a firm if not squinted look”. Character voice: “Lara gave the idiot beside her a firm if not squinted look”. Or whatever would be most likely for her character to think in those conditions.
The following conversation happens completely natural (and with world-building into it, neat), so I suspect the start is written afterwards or without a planned outline (which would be kind of silly considering the length of these). The shift in tone at the end comes a little sudden (or early, by length). I realize I’m using my male disposition here, but there is no distinctive reason for the reader to assume that women who have lived under those conditions for life would suddenly hold similar values to our current real-life ones. This would have been avoided by ending on “she felt happy”, since the sudden shift in tone is mostly the last sentence and the other two are not ending sentences for the conversation / events. I know what you’re focusing on, but in the context of this story that needs more motivation. ‘My parents are deaaaad!’ is more a brooding billionaire sitting in a dank cave thing anyway. And lastly: kudos for the use of semicolons.

By David Gepet: oh hey, password is back. Missed it with the last two. *file pops up* Oh dear lord the difference in formatting. I feel Nick N’s pain from the previous challenge. Also, the combination of prose and British has put me in Helen Mirren reading voice mode. Please tell me there is a rectal infusion in here somewhere. (for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmeF2rzsZSU, at six minutes).
“clean white printed pages it’s muscle and flesh”. Its? For the other people reading these comments (does anyone actually do that?), it is worth pointing out that this is both consistent in narration and doesn’t change character perspective during one scene (which is how it should be). The general ‘Jane Austen’ feel is another thing entirely, but that’s where the rectal infusion comes in. I did imagine the daughter to be much younger based on her dialogue though. She sounded girlish, maybe teenager, not the young adult she was meant to be seen as, looking at the third scene. Yes, it’s nitpicking, and it’s what I do. Good story though. Should probably get a decent response from real agents.

The Cursed Heart: sooooooooooo, I take it you write certain fanfiction? I’m not judging!
Jokes aside, I don’t recall your previous entry (Underneath) having distinctive character voice though, or maybe I just couldn’t tell anymore at that point (or that story was the exception). Really well done, even in the face of incoming ‘but cliché’ charges. If I have to point to something, there is the exposition line from ‘Unfortunately’ to ‘demise’ that feels slightly out of character for the one saying it. Like it suddenly dropped the accent, despite having it everywhere else. Maybe I’m just seeing things there though.

Freedom’s Chance: it’s somewhat disorienting to see ‘archer’ pop up in relation to prisons, since those are a very recent institute, so I have taken this as a fantasy world-ish type prison. One other thing is Rane’s shift from ‘riveting’ to ‘poor bastard’. If he didn’t care about that person before, why would he care at that point? That is all.

A Jump In The Desert: That is kind of a long sentence to start with. I think you could remove ‘on loan from the library’ to make it easier to read and get in the story. Also, if someone turns to someone, we need to know where those characters are. Or at least, there has to be a context where mentioning the positioning of characters is worth mentioning. ‘He powered off his ..’ would have been sufficient for the dialogue following it. Though actually, I think having something like “sitting in the passenger seat” in the opening line would have taken care of that too, since it’s kind of just dropped in there. The other thing I would point to is that introducing a character’s name to a protagonist is something that requires a little bit of context as well. Instead of just name-dropping him, something like “who was apparently named Jeff”. Cute ending though.

A Matter Of Taste: “He picked up a knife (…) and Greg swore again. “ Wait, so the guy picked up a knife or did Greg? Probably should have separated those two characters per line. And here geography comes with the lack of Greg pushing the door to the kitchen before going into ‘kitchen mode’. That element of two worlds could probably be shown, despite not being required technically. Rest ist gut, ja. I kept wondering if a chef rat would show up though.

Maybe: ‘hidden within’ , ‘he …’. ‘He was a nervous as a’. Obvious that is as, but still. ‘hopes your well’, oh now you’re doing it on purpose! Yes, I know it’s a draft, but I have to get my shots in somehow. I do feel that ‘rage’ at the end feels too large compared to ‘anger’ before that.

Mosaic: But does insurance cover it?

Part two: it’s for its in the second sentence. Also, you need to choose a tense to write a story in. The first sentence is past tense, and then the subsequent story is present tense, which becomes very odd. ‘just bare with me’ > bear with me. Yeah I know: bear? Roar? ‘we’re hear’ > here. ‘wheel chair’ is one word. ‘mite’ > might.
And I see you making language correction jokes there:

5515D773CCF9AE4E99525301EA769F55802C2315

Status Update: ok, that format plus font is a bit too big on fullscreen now. Huh, as it happens I had the same thought as the last sentence last week. Neat story in terms of weaving in real-world stuff.

Toad: good, but the ending is a little ‘so?’ for me. Nothing really predicted that outcome, is what I mean.

Untitled: a bit all over the place in terms of character, but it doesn’t suck.

The Wind That Breaks The Willow: so, ehm, surreal comedy or just general fantasy comedy? But just so you know, I totally saw the CAD comic when I started reading. Don't take 'comedy' to be a bad thing here, by the way. Most drama books have irony, which can be (or confused with) comedy as well.

Coding: I may be very old-fashioned, but I’m going to argue that using abbreviations is probably best avoided when not dialogue. Using them draws attention to the writer, not the character. So “you would think I would be used to it by now.” and “my arm is knocked to the side”. Skateboard is a single word. ‘a dat for sometime’ however, is separate in this context. In that same sentence, the abbreviated ‘will’ is harmless though, since it’s a page in and a very common abbreviation. ‘we both quicken our steps as we went to the building’ > wrong tense on ‘went’. So far your story is present tense, and so it’s ‘walk’ or ‘go’ or something like that. ‘Trevor Walton’, ‘our exec…’ there is a real pause there so it’s comma time. ‘could be worst’, as a Dutch person, this can read ‘could be sausage’. ‘Justine switch’ > switches. Yay, ReBoot fanfic! :D

Madness Always Lurks Close: first sentence, and my mind goes to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isy86dpWCDo
‘Donny clicked…Donnie sighed’, there is no real reason to not use ‘he’ on the second sentence. There is no confusion in terms of who is being referenced as ‘he’. Nice ending.

In conclusion: many a first draft. Dammit Cow, you had one job! IMPEACH! IMPEACH!

Actual votes:

1. The Cursed Heart (frekifox7)
2. By David Gepet (FlowersisBritish)
3. Architect (Izunadono)

reasons are character language, charm (or perhaps cynicism but oh well), and 'write what you know'. In that order.

Mike M

Nick N
Holding the door for Shannon's votes since I have to post them for her and won't have a chance until tomorrow morning.

frekifox7

Neo Member
The Cursed Heart: sooooooooooo, I take it you write certain fanfiction? I’m not judging!
Jokes aside, I don’t recall your previous entry (Underneath) having distinctive character voice though, or maybe I just couldn’t tell anymore at that point (or that story was the exception). Really well done, even in the face of incoming ‘but cliché’ charges. If I have to point to something, there is the exposition line from ‘Unfortunately’ to ‘demise’ that feels slightly out of character for the one saying it. Like it suddenly dropped the accent, despite having it everywhere else. Maybe I’m just seeing things there though.

Fanfic of what?

Cyan

Banned
Maaaan. A lot of good stuff this time. Tons of stories left after my first pass, hard to cut down to just three. :/

Votes:
1. A Ballad for a King
2. By David Gepet
3. Mosaic

P.S. I'm glad Arthur Philosopher is ok. For now.

P.P.S. Tangent your story was rockin, I'm glad you posted it even if it was ineligible!

Ainsz

Really sorry I won't be able to vote in time everyone. I'll do a run through of the stories later on to make up for that.

Cyan

Banned
Hups, just saw that Tangent emailed me like an hour ago to ask me to post votes.

Tangent's votes:
1. FlowersIsBritish
2. MikeM
3. Cyan
hm Nezumi

Nezumi

OK. I've made a count of the votes so far and I think it is save to say, that we have a clear winner no matter what votes are yet to come. I'll still wait a little bit to see who's second and third though.

Ashes

Banned
1. Flower
2. Kel
3. Cyan
hm. Tangent

P.S. I'm glad Arthur Philosopher is ok. For now.

I'm not going to rise and give in to your inflammatory bait. Instead, I will clearly, quietly, and politely, inform you, for the last time, It's AUTHOR Philosopher. Not Arthur. AUTHOR. You see that U. That big fat U. As in the Writer of Stories. Not the kid who plucked a sword from the Stone. AUTHOR PHILOSOPHER.

Man, just yesterday, I wrote a hastily written obituary for Arthur Philosopher in The Shaspian Times, only for a woman apparently riding through the desert and happens to be catching twitter updates, calling in to the editor, not to say that her other half was alive or anything, but that his name was AUTHOR Philosopher. Not Arthur. AUTHOR. Some people eh?

Cyan

Banned
Man, just yesterday, I wrote a hastily written obituary for Arthur Philosopher in The Shaspian Times, only for a woman apparently riding through the desert and happens to be catching twitter updates, calling in to the editor, not to say that her other half was alive or anything, but that his name was AUTHOR Philosopher. Not Arthur. AUTHOR. Some people eh?
Ha! Good thing Poetess was around to make that correction.

Ashes

Banned
Ha! Good thing Poetess was around to make that correction.

Jokes on you buddy. Poetess is an acceptable form of Poeta. Poeta's parents named her after a Poetess.

22ifonly.png

This isn't poeta. I actually have no idea who this is. I believe it's called Portrait of a Poetess. I saw this picture in Kent irrc

edit: also pretty unique thread this week, what with so many of us this week tackling themes focused on writers, stories, narration and death.

Charade

Ack, didn't get to finish for voting... sorry guys.

But premature congrats to whoever won, not that it's obvious or anything
;D

Ashes

Banned
I say we just move on to the next thread without counting up the tally. Flowers tis time to usurp the lick spitter bro/sis.* Quick before anyone notices.

* I don't know who won, but I voted for your story. So let's go with that.

Nezumi

Flowers is leading by at least 15 points... If he reads that he should just go ahead and declare him the winner. Congratulations FlowersisBritish! The people have spoken. Use your power wisely.

By my count...

1.) FlowersisBritish (27)
2.) Cyan (11)
3.) Mike M (8) (3, 2, 2, 1)

4.) Keleesto (8) (2, 2, 2, 2)
5.) frekifox7 (7)
6.) Shannon (6)
7.) Cowlick (4)
7.) Ainsz (3)
8.) Ashes (3) (2, 1)
9.) EGM1966 (2)
10.) Nezumi (2) (1, 1)
11.) Charade (1)
12.) Izunadono (1)
13.) Neeener (1)

Mike M

Nick N
Shannon: Oh hey, you finished it. For some reason I had it in my mind that you were ending on a cliffhanger in keeping with the “Incomplete” theme. Everything I told you the other night still holds true, you fixed the couple word choices I pointed out, and the stuff you were worrying about needing to be changed or not making sense was all in your head : P I’m kind of reminded of the authors/editors of the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and how they went around collecting and compiling ghost stories and what not, and I’m entertained by the notion of what would happen if such a person went and actually found a ghost. That’s not quite what’s going on here, but it’s close enough for jazz. The lyrics are impressive insofar that you actually wrote lyrics with a rhyming scheme and everything. I can’t even manage a limerick. Minus a million points for putting in a song and dance number, you know I hate musicals.

Cyan: I got the impression that the narrator was treating it like a story structure with many permutations, but I’m not sure of any other variations of the minotaur in the labyrinth story, and Daedalus never wound up being thrown into it to die. He was imprisoned in a tower, built himself a pair of wings, lost his son who was totally rocking out to Iron Maiden, and landed in like… Athens or something where he started murdering his nephews for being too smart or something. It’s all a bit foggy. I’ve never had the fact that Pandora shut the box and sealed hope inside interpreted as a bad thing, it was always supposed to be that by shutting hope inside she kept it from fleeing away forever. Granted, it’s kind of a raw deal for Hope itself. If I had to quibble with this, it’s the mixing and matching of mythologies, you had two Greek ones which made the Arabian one stand apart kind of awkwardly. If one of the other stories had been Norse or Egyptian or something, it wouldn’t be so jarring. Plus 1983 points for giving me an excuse to call up Flight of Icarus on my phone.

izunadono: Granted I’m not an architect, but wouldn’t the thing he be working on be the blueprints? I mean, yeah, I can see how the model would be useful in pitching the project, but stuff like him worrying about the load bearing wall shortening the bedroom… Shouldn’t that be stuff he’s already worked out before building the model? But hey, I’m not an architect, so maybe I’m just talking out of my ass. This one kind of slipped a gear when we went from the banter between Jason and Sarah to an exposition about how they met and got together, it just served to highlight how clunky a back story drop is by juxtaposing it with character interaction like that. Also, I didn’t see the point of only relating one half of the telephone conversation only to have the narrator recap it back to the reader. Why not just let us know what was being said on the other end of the conversation? And again, when he recounts what happened to his luggage, why not just let us see it happen? And why is he even going to England in the first place on this guy’s dime when his patron just went back to NY? I know you said the ending was obvious, but it’s not to me. Plus 10 points for calling to mind the running gag in the Brady Bunch Movie where they had the running gag where the dad kept pitching the same architectural model and reminding me that it was actually a far better movie than it had any right to be.

Keleesto: You and your dystopian western stuff : P I don’t have anything different to tell you that I didn’t tell you earlier, I think you crammed a good amount of character and world building in a really small amount of time. There are some lingering questions (like what is he bringing back from the Nothing, and where’s he getting it), but it’s one of those McGuffin things that’s not actually important to the story itself, so I didn’t let it bother me. Plus 1,000 points for creating an interesting world I want to know more about, but minus 1,000 points for wasting it on an icky romantic thing where people have their feelings requited and stuff : P

FlowersisBritish: No offense, but I’m honestly surprised this was the winner, because it did nothing for me. The way the setup at the funeral was presented, I was thinking that “Conrad” was some sort of a con artist right from the start, which sapped all the impact out of the reveal. That just left a summary of a schlocky space pirate story where they’re fighting with swords in the far future and some kid gets Harry Pottered to be the first mate to the pirate with the heart of gold. That left me confused when “Conrad” and Madeline were talking about how it was such a good book, because it certainly didn’t sound like one. Not sure how a title like “Tides of Winter” makes sense for a space pirate story anyway, since there aren’t seasons in space and all. Conrad’s motivations seem to fall apart upon examination; if he’s in it for the money, it’s way too much effort to go around trying to con people with a new book each time when he can just keep using the same one and there’s no guarantee that people will pony up for the last chapter. If he’s in it to get his writing read, then he’s kind of a dunce to craft these situations where only a single person is likely to actually read it. Minus 50 points for making me incredibly despondent about the prospects about a writer making a decent living off their work.

Cathy: Much improved over the original version. Probably still a few details that are off that someone in the software engineering industry will call foul on, but it didn’t make me trip up over every sentence and go “wait, no, that’s not how it works.” You also look to have cleared up the trouble the verb tenses were giving you. I’m kind of less certain on the programmers being a metaphor for bits of code being deleted by a computer virus, however. Because really, outside of the Starbytes thing, there’s nothing very computery about anything else that’s going on. They still use phones, they drink coffee, they ride skateboards, they wear jeans, etc. etc. It’s a premise that could work, but I don’t think it quite came all the way together and I’m not sure how I would advise to make it work better. Plus 172 points for iterative improvement.

frekifox7: As I told you already, I think this is my favorite thing you’ve ever written. I have a secret weakness for steampunk stuff and the interactions between magic and technology, so this one was really right up my alley. Like I told you earlier, my only major problem was that I didn’t find it clear that the fairy was the size of a person, as the notion of her alighting on a branch and leaning forward made her seem tiny in my mind. I mean, there was a line about how she was as quiet as a breath, but wouldn’t it be hard to be stealthy when you’re a full-sized person flying through the canopy of trees when there’re all the trees and branches to get in the way? But that one confusing detail aside, I liked most everything else about this. I liked the Scottish dialect, but I’m not sure I’m a fan of this actually taking place in Scotland; When you’ve already established that it’s an alternate universe this far removed from the world as we know it with cursed hearts and clockwork replacements, fairies, and sound-proof spider webs, why not just go all the way and just make it a completely original setting? Plus 20GP, good only in the D&D game you swear refuse to play : P

Charade: A neat and memorable concept as an element or a scene in a potentially larger story, but too anemic to stand on its own. But for what it’s worth, I really liked the scene for what it was. +/- fifty points, depending on which knife you want to try and stab yourself with.

Dandy Crocodile: I guess I already gave a preview on this… The fact that Aaron was blind wasn’t immediately obvious, but was clever enough that the clues were all there from the start if only you would go back and look for them. But that’s ultimately all this seemed to be to me, an exercise in being clever as we dance around the fact that the main character is blind without explicitly stating it. It’s great as a bit of writing exercise and experimenting with narrative, but as a standalone story, there wasn’t much story to be had. The missing CD at the end was mostly confusing to me, as I wasn’t sure if this was some sort of stray plot element from a thread that got left on the cutting room floor, or if it was supposed to be symbolic of lost eye sight or what. I tried to get clever and cut and paste your bonus points in Braille, but it won’t display properly. So let’s just call it a wash and say you just break even.

Cowlick: “Food porn” is a thing, but I’m not sure how great it works on the written page (at least not for me). It’s like… the experience that is removed to the furthest possible distance from the subject and still retain even the outlines of what it’s supposed to be. If I can’t experience the aromas and taste, then visual images are the next best thing, but text doesn’t even have that much. Yeah, I know, paint a picture with your words and all that. You did a great job with that part, I just wonder if having it be the primary focus of your story worked out in this medium. One thing that jumped out at me is that they were serving liver patte with foie gras? Foie gras, which is made from the liver of a duck or goose? Liver with a side of liver? I’m not a foodie, so I don’t know if that’s a thing, but it struck me as odd. Also, the line Walter drops of “We on rations now?” seemed wildly out of place given all the cultured elocution he was dropping on every line previous. I felt it pretty unambiguous that the chef poisoned the critic, not sure how anyone else could walk away with a different opinion (though it begs the question of why he just happens to have poison on him). Minus fourteen points for making me hungry.

EGM1966: Again, seems more like an exercise in being able to convey details without explicitly stating them than an actual story to me. And it’s just me any preference for the escapism of speculative fiction, but I find relationship drama to be rather insufferable to read through. Not a knock against you, I’m just nowhere near the target audience for this. My only real emotional investment was that Frank seemed to be pretty damned justified in feeling his anger and pain toward the world, which left me feeling really judgmental about Linda and her decision to leave him in what was clearly a time of crisis. Of course, I’m not privy to what occurred in this relationship outside of the details revealed by listening in on this one conversation, but the wavering at the end left me unsure if I should feel unkindly toward Linda for leaving him in the first place, or if I should be shouting at the page telling her not to return to an abusive relationship. You get X Schrodinger bonus points, depending on which way I’m supposed to feel.

Nezumi: Someone mentioned that this read like a Pixar or Mr. Bean short, and I agree. It’s something I’d like to see carried out visually. Slapstick physical comedy is tough to convey in written form, and this was no exception. I enjoyed reading it, and it was funny, but the whole time I was thinking of how much more uproarious I would find it if I were actually seeing it happen. If I had to find fault with it, it would be that if he couldn’t find the spot in this massive mosaic that had lost this single tile, it seems unlikely that it would have been noticed by anyone else, either. And if he can just throw his arms up in the air, say, “fuck everything,” and walk away from a holy duty, then he doesn’t seem the type that would go through such pains to cover up what ultimately sounds like a trivial problem. I had your bonus points posted on the scoreboard, but they all fell off.

Ainsz: Man oh man, watch your verb tenses. You were jumping every which way all throughout this one. Given that this is a direct follow up to your last one, everything I said about the genre and subject matter is still applicable; the folksy creepiness of the cultists before they’re revealed for what they are is disturbing, and the whole sheep/lamb bit at the end was a particularly good turn of phrase to me. The constant complaining about mosquitoes struck me as odd, since they were out in the desert. Mosquitoes need standing water to reproduce, and there’s not that much of it to be found in the desert. I also found the coincidence that this couple happened to be the parents of the surviving member of the last story a bit too much for my suspension of disbelief to withstand. They’re all just driving around in the desert in the middle of the night and wandering into this cultist town for no reason? I’m running out of clever things to do with bonus points awarding, so I’ll just say you get two because you had a “two” in your title.

Mike M: This was clunky. I know it was clunky. I did everything in my power to reduce the clunkiness, but I was unsuccessful in striking a balance between readability and impenetrable corporate bureaucracy talk. I was going for the slow burn reveal (though I think stuff about the stars aligning, being uncomfortable in his own skin, and knowing Mr. Jones’s true nature being absolutely literal may have been too subdued), and I largely think it was successful, but jesus fuck was it hard to read. I also had a really, really difficult time finding and ending to this. At one point I had Johnson resolving to take a page from the playbook of humanity and apply himself to the problem the way they applied themselves to theirs, but that was entirely too optimistic a note for what I was trying to go for. In the end, though, I’m mostly happy with the way it turned out? I had a vague “aliens meeting in a corporate board room to discuss the sabotage of space programs” story idea bouncing around in my head for a while now, usually they don’t turn out so well as this unless I’ve gotten further down the road than that. Plus two million points to myself to strike down Flowers from his ill-gotten throne!

Neeener: Heeeeey, you’re a frog, not a toad! Anyway, this was interesting in fits and starts. You had a lot of good descriptions going on, but as someone already mentioned, the other guys were just kind of there to stand in the background and die unceremoniously. The magical incantation also didn’t do much for me, as I would expect witchcraft to have developed most of these spells well in advance of the advent of modern English and its rhyming schemes (I know, super hyper-nitpicky, but I have a whole head canon about witches for a character I write about, and I get all caught up in the rules of magic systems). I also wasn’t clear on what kind of timeframe we were working with? I got the impression that they had acquired the curse some time back, but in which case, if they could make themselves look hot enough to ensnare these men, what was the limitation on doing that all the time? How did they figure that turning a guy into a toad would somehow reverse it? Why would turning someone into a toad reverse it? The actual transformation sequence seemed weirdly positive in its description of the sensation too. Am I still doing the bonus point gag? Fuck. Minus… something something points… something something… because reasons.

BearFlexington: There’s some badly-needed context regarding David’s relationship with Maggie, or even what Maggie does for a living. She’s putting out a sandwich board sign and she offers him “the usual.” My first instinct is that maybe she’s a prostitute, but they don’t exactly put out sandwich boards advertising their services. My second guess is that she’s some sort of fortune teller, but there’s nothing really there to support that conclusion other than my trying to puzzle out how these two pieces interlock. Killers can make interesting protagonists, I just didn’t see anything going on here to make David interesting beyond generic rage issues. Your bonus points are locked in the trunk of my car, desperately trying to escape their fate.

Ashes: I think for the first couple challenges I participated in, you went with that one sci-fi one where everyone’s romantic partner was determined by a computer, and the debut of Author Philosopher (or at least my first exposure to him). I guess in retrospect, that was just you doing your usual relationship inspections wrapped up with sci-fi and fantasy settings, but that’s how I prefer it anyway (See my feedback to EGM1966). I somehow never get tired of the “Author, not Arthur” refrain, and the whole thing had a dreamy, insubstantial quality to it that I found interesting. I should never have embarked on this running gag about bonus points. Here, I’m just going to leave out this bowl of them, everyone take some.

Ward: I got kind of lost trying to keep track of who was who and who was saying what. So many code words, and seemingly everyone’s voice sounded the same to me, which contributed to the confusion for me. I never got a good feel for anything about any of these characters except that they felt kind of like background characters of some mobster show or movie, and all it amounted to in the end was they shot some guy in his bedroom for reasons that were never apparent to me. It’s like the skeletal outline of a story was in place, but nothing was adequately fleshed out for me.

Tangent: I’m legitimately confused as hell at this. Is the insinuation that Norman is working on some sort of time travel or something? You set up an inciting incident that is reasonably interesting and compelling, but then it just stops before we’re even able to have enough information to piece together the whole premise.

Okay, this feedback may not be the most coherent, but I'm just going to let my sleep-deprived brain do the talking and hope I'm not pushed out on an ice floe by the morning.

First, my votes:

1. By David Gepet
I'll be honest: this kind of story is my weakness. A scorpion story, a sting in the tail. It was a little strange to transpose from Conrad's POV (Conrad had become accustomed to funerals — a great opening line, by the way) to Madeline (When did he have time to write this?) but I didn't really notice until I read it a second time, just to see what I'd missed once I got to *that* revelation. Did we need to spend as much time on the "Orphan" story as we did? Part of me wonders, yet the other part did experience Madeline's thoughts as I wondered what parts were meant to reflect her, so perhaps... yes. (Even though I wanted to get back to the Madeline/Conrad threads that were dangled so well in the first half.) And I like how though you gave Madeline the last words of Conrad's novel, you don't give them to us. A nice idea that held well throughout.

2. Maybe
Points here go to the great use of theme: both on the main character physically and his sense of emotional completeness with regards to Linda. Tense is a little muddled throughout, but your dialogue took me through a great push-pull machine and I wanted, somehow, for Frank to get at least a sense of closure. Hope, perhaps, is the next best thing. Straightaway establishing Frank's missing limb went a long way towards wanting this guy to have a win, though if his anger is only mentioned and not demonstrated... though maybe its lack is representative of how he has mellowed since he was with Linda. But still... dem feels. Great story.

3. Status Update
As with my first pick, my third pick gets the nod for the journey it takes us on, and the ending that makes us examine every footstep. The reveal provides great method to the preceding corporate verbal volleyball madness — if I'm reading it right, your MC is an otherworldly undercover visitor looking to delay progress into space exploration? If so, why should he feel any worry at all at his dressing down? I get that delays would be noticed, and attention would compromise his covert mission, but the emotions that are suggested to us are ones tied to personal stake — the loss of a job — rather than a grand overarching mission. Just a note on characterisation and style, however: each character tended to sound similar, and sentence rhythm gets bogged down by a preference for multisyllabic words — in one sentence we have: voluminous, innumerable, overflowing, preponderance; and in one line of dialogue: "The institutional inertia was insurmountable" (plus bonus alliteration!) They're not difficult words, just constant speed bumps when we're wanting to put it in fifth gear and feel the open road. Still, a great story idea that kept me reading.

And for everyone else!

Beyond the Gates
A world that offers many questions, and we only receive some of the answers. I see the theme running behind the likes of "The Nothingness", but I needed to know what was at stake of leaving the town besides... something, maybe, happening. The character of Mal came to life for me in a way that Mary or Lara didn't — even the small things like the gravel in his voice went a long way towards that.

A Ballad for a King
Fantasy tends to go over my head the best of times, but I was happy to let this one carry me away on its gentle stream of song verse. Some great instances of description ("like a painting that'd been left out in the rain") really help to make this one move like silk on the page.

An Untold Story
I felt as though the method of storytelling here kept me at arm's distance, emotionally, from the narrative. It all came to life well enough, but telling us these three stories after the fact, and assuring us they mean something in relation to what's coming... I don't know. There's no one to play foil to the storyteller's riddles. Perhaps it needs one?

Architect
This one does a great job of setting up the characters and what's at stake, yet by the time we get to the end we're racing at full pelt towards a word count that cuts off just as we needed things to round out. The first-person viewpoint serves the story idea really well, but this either needed to be a third longer near the end or cut by a third near the start.

Coding
Inside Out, but with computer viruses, right? A fun take on the cube farm pressure cooker of bad bosses and worse coffee.

The Cursed Heart
I really liked the rhythm of this story. A great pace with an ending that, I think, was designed to leave to our interpretation? It worked to keep it lingering in my mind after reading, at any rate!

Freedom's Chance
"Shame in my eyes" ... I'm guessing the main character had zero points? Or heaps of points, the shame coming from being such an easy-stab target? Help me out here, because your central concept is great! If ever there's a revision challenge, I'd love to read a second draft.

A Jump in the Desert
Car breaks down. Car gets fixed. Car continues on journey. Things were fine, then not fine, then fine again. I didn't find much of a hook here or, besides the missing CD (why?), an agent of change. Nothing was at risk besides their journey, for which we are never given the stakes (an important meeting, a birthday, a trip to the hospital). It needed some meat in the sandwich.

Mosaic
My smile only got wider the more I read, and by the end it was a full on cheesy grin. A really fun Mr Bean-esque tale.

Part Two
"The large masked man hands a carving fork and knife to the new sheep, who makes the first cut in to the lamb." Legit chills. Like a good horror movie, this starts off with naught of a hint of the creep factor that's coming, which makes its impact all the more heavy. Really great stuff — and I'm not just saying that so you won't come at me with a rope and throw me in the back of your minivan.

Toad
So the kiss was the point of difference between Joe and the others — the spell working where before it had failed? The only muddy point in an otherwise solid story, with great description of your witchy characters and Joe's toady fate.

Untitled
"If he checks the trunk…" Oh, so there's a body in there.
"He thought about all the dumping he'd done here over the years." Right, so we're dumping the body in the swampland.
"Without bothering to resolve the situation in the trunk, he crossed the lot for Maggie's." Wait, what?
I sense there's a seedy tale here of murder and love, somewhere…

The Wind that Breaks the Willow
From your Secret Squirrel hidden quote message (yes, I found it!) it seems that this is the latest (and final) adventures of Author Philosopher, meaning it's a punchline to a joke that this junior is coming in late to. I'm sorry I'm not able to get as much out of it as more seasoned CreativeGAFfers, but for what it's worth I liked the Monty Python-ish turn it took in the final part.

I was too subtle. David is an alcoholic. His dumping comes in the form of bottles flung from his vehicle as he makes his way to one of his afternoon drinking spots. The rattling in the trunk comes from a bottle of a Tom's gin. Bottom line: If I have to explain it, I didn't do a good enough job telling the story.

EDIT: Next time I'll spend more time. It was fun and thank you all for the feedback.

Fanfic of what?

ehm... hey look behind you!
*runs away*

the thirsty kind, or sirap's source of income if you will

Nick N said:
Minus 50 points for making me incredibly despondent about the prospects about a writer making a decent living off their work.

Not with that attitude!

But seriously, you should not expect to make anything of an art. If it's money you want, it's sirap's way or extreme luck. I have similar delusions though. Obviously.

I also noticed I had completely overlooked Tangent's story, so late commentary:

Norman's Discovery: 'his feet had long been capable of touching the beige carpet', what? Is he a dog? Also 'Norman's dentist office' with later on 'This described Norman' confused me. Starting with 'His dentist's office' could remove that confusion.
Other than that it's a good story, I think. Sorry I missed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom