• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Current gen games with physical manuals

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I like game manuals. They were an important part of my childhood. I took them to school, read them in bed and pretty much ogled them whenever I could - especially those with nice, color artwork.

These days, most games don't have manuals.

e5467fdc8b6ce45f56a8adf97faf6864.jpg

BUT! Some publishers are still choosing to pack in a manual with their games!

10347-dancing-panda-at-the-disco-gif-tN49.gif

(thanks XSEED!)

I wanted to create this thread as a resource for like-minded, manual-loving people who were interested in finding out if a certain game had a physical manual. Obviously, I don't own every current gen game, so I can't make a complete list by myself, so any help adding games is much appreciated!

The List:

2bb643164b6348005146f1154615f6cb-bpfull.jpg

US Version
Akiba's Trip (Color, 25 pages)
Evil Within, The (Color, 21 pages)
Evolve (Color, 13 pages)
Disney Infinity 2.0 (details unknown)
Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign- (Color, 37 pages)
Natural Doctrine (B/W, 29 pages)
Onechanbara Z II Chaos (Color, 21 pages)
Putty Squad (Color)
*Shovel Knight (Color)
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate (Color, 13 pages) Content duplicated over two languages
Witcher III, The: The Wild Hunt (B/W, 9 pages) Also comes with B/W, 17 page Witcher Universe Compendium, color fold-out map, stickers and full CD soundtrack

PAL Version
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (B/W, 18 pages) [German language version]
Monopoly Fun Pack (B/W)
Pinball Arcade, The (Color)
Pinball Arcade, The: Season 2 (Color)

Japanese Version
Dragon Quest Heroes (Color, fold-out manual that is the equivalent of 14 pages)
Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair (Color, 33 pages)
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (Color, 36 pages)
Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD Remaster (Color, 36 pages)
Puyo Puyo Tetris (Color, 28 page)
Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin / Yakuza Ishin (Color, 43 pages)
Ryu ga Gotoku Zero / Yakuza Zero (Color, 45 pages)

20121161510_dba90d60c6_o.jpg

US Version
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Color, 17 pages) Content duplicated over three languages
New Super Mario Bros. U (Color, 17 pages) Content duplicated over three languages
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge (Color, 17 pages) Content duplicated over three languages
Nintendo Land (Color, 17 pages) Content duplicated over three languages
Pikmin 3 (Color, 17 pages) Content duplicated over three languages
*Shovel Knight (Color)
Sonic Lost World (B/W, 9 pages) Content duplicated over two languages
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Color, 41 pages) Content duplicated over three languages
ZombiU (B/W, 13 pages)

PAL Version
Hyrule Warriors (Color, 31 pages)

news-xbox-one-thumb.jpg

US Version
Evil Within, The (Color, 21 pages)
Evolve (Color, 13 pages)
*Shovel Knight (Color)
Witcher III, The: The Wild Hunt (B/W, 9 pages) Also comes with B/W, 17 page Witcher Universe Compendium, color fold-out map, stickers and full CD soundtrack

Japanese Version
Puyo Puyo Tetris (Color, 28 page)

3DSCube_128px.png

US Version
Code of Princess (Color, 54 pages) Content duplicated over two languages
Dead or Alive Dimensions (Color, 40 pages) Content duplicated over two languages
Shin Megami Tensei IV (no manual) But, every copy comes with CD music selection soundtrack and a color, 176 page "Strategy & Design Book"
Starfox 64 3D (Color, 17 pages)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars (two manuals: one English B/W, 17 pages and another French B/W, 20 pages)

PAL Version
Boulder Dash-XL 3D (B/W, 37 pages) Content duplicated over 5 languages
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (Color, 56 pages). Also comes with AR cards
One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP (Color, 43 pages). May feature several languages depending on the region. The Scandinavian version has mainly English but a couple pages in Finnish and Swedish
One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP 2 (Color, 42 pages)
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (Color, 29 pages)
Rhythm Thief & The Emperor's Treasure (B/W, 29 pages) The Scandinavian version has English, and some Swedish and Finnish
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked (B/W, 38 pages)
Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir (no manual, but comes with a 16-page art booklet)
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (Color, 61 pages)
Tales of the Abyss (B/W, 68 pages) Quickstart content duplicated over 8 (!) languages
Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy (Color, 42 pages)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (B/W, 34 pages)

Japanese Version
Zoo Keeper 3D (Color, 27 pages)

PS-Vita-Logo.jpg

US Version
Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd (Color, 11 pages)

PAL Version
Army Corps of Hell (Color, 10 pages)
Child of Light: Complete Edition (B/W, 4 pages)
Dragonball Z: Battle of Z (B/W, 16 pages)
History: Legends of War (B/W)
Lumines Electric Symphony (B/W, 22 pages)
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (Color, 26 pages)
New Little King's Story (Color, 10 pages)
One Piece: Unlimited World Red (B/W, 25 pages)
Rayman Legends (B/W, 8 pages)
Rayman Origins (B/W, 20 pages)
Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen (B/W, 29 pages)
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (B/W, 18 pages)
Super Monkey Ball Banana Splitz (B/W, 8 pages)
Tales of Hearts R (B/W, 25 pages)
Toukiden: The Age of Demons (Color, 12 pages)
Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour (B/W, 4 pages)

Japanese Version
Bullet Girls (Color, 9 pages)
Demon Gaze (Color, 58 pages)
Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax (Color, manual folds out into one long strip)
Dream Club Zero Portable (Color, 29 pages)
Earth Defense Force 2 Portable V2 (Color, 21 pages)
Earth Defense Force 3 Portable (Color, 21 pages)
IA/VT -COLORFUL- (Color, 31 pages)
Labyrinth Cross Blood Infinity (Color, 46 pages)
Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy (Color, 46 pages)
Operation Babel: New Tokyo Legacy (Color, 43 pages)
Phantasy Star Online 2 Special Package (Color, 25 pages)
Ragnarok Odyssey (Color, 45 pages)
Senran Kagura: Estival Versus (Color, 43 pages)
Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus (Color, 45 pages)
Stranger of Sword City (Color, 14 pages)

20309329385_e00e5b2e4b_o.jpg

PAL Version
Pillars of Eternity Adventurer Edition (manual packed in) Also includes color game map, CD soundtrack and guide book [Polish language version]
TIS-100 (manual is printed out by user and integral to succeeding in the game)

*Not yet released, but the manual has been promised!

Bl@de

A short manual with classes and mechanics is in included in DS2: Scholar of the first Sin (PS4, PAL).

EDIT: More Details: 18 pages, black and white, Language: German (I can't confirm if there is a manual in the UK etc.)

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Witcher 3 has a fat manual, doesn't it?

EDIT:

Not so fat, but comes with two booklets, manual and game compendium

Trumpets

You are a man after my own heart OP and I approve of this thread!

None of my PS4 games has a proper manual though so I can't contribute:-(

erawsd

I don't know how big it is but Witcher 3 had a Manual, a Compendium, Sticker, map, Soundtrack CD, and a Thank you note stuffed into the gamebox. They also put the box in a sleeve with all the Awards and marketing BS on it, so that the actual game box stays clean.

If we're counting 3DS/Vita then can we count the guide book thing that came with the first shipment of SMTIV? Also, does the Vita version of Lost Dimension come with a full manual? I know the PS3 version does.

Tc91

I love proper manuals. Nothing pisses me off more than opening a new game and seeing this waif, excuse of a game manual.

entremet

Honestly, I just don' care anymore.

I'm nostalgic about them, but that's a bygone era.

I don't think I've read manuals since the PS1/N64 era.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Thanks, all, I've updated the OP.

Witcher 3 has a fat manual, doesn't it?

EDIT:

Not so fat, but comes with two booklets, manual and game compendium

I don't know how big it is but Witcher 3 had a Manual, a Compendium, Sticker, map, Soundtrack CD, and a Thank you note stuffed into the gamebox. They also put the box in a sleeve with all the Awards and marketing BS on it, so that the actual game box stays clean.

They gave a lot of cool bonuses with physical copies of the game; I'm actually surprised the manual itself is black and white and pretty small. Oh well - great game and great physical edition.

Witcher 3 blew me away with how much stuff came in the box. I love that stuff. I hate just having a box, a disc and some ad or free 2 day trial

miku

Only found one so far after opening a bunch of Vita cases

Vita

Japanese Version

My copy of Puyo Puyo Tetris on xbox one has a 28 page color manual. Its a japanese release, which tend to have manuals over games released here in the US.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The problem with the current transition away from manuals is that I'm never sure if a used copy is complete or not. I've passed on a few recent games because they didn't have their manuals, only to discover that they never came with any.

Barakov

Gold Member
I believe Guilty Gear Xrd came with a manual. It's been awhile since a new game felt that weighty.

Poona

Wish Rare Replay did. Always thought Rare's manuals were great, filled with colour and character. Last good manual I saw from them was Nuts & Bolts. :(

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Only found one so far after opening a bunch of Vita cases

Vita

Japanese Version

Yeah, Vita is probably the worst platform of all if you are expecting game manuals. Some Japanese versions seem to have them, though. Thanks for looking!

My copy of Puyo Puyo Tetris on xbox one has a 28 page color manual. Its a japanese release, which tend to have manuals over games released here in the US.

An actual Xbox One game manual in the wild - amazing!

The problem with the current transition away from manuals is that I'm never sure if a used copy is complete or not. I've passed on a few recent games because they didn't have their manuals, only to discover that they never came with any.

I don't buy much used current gen, but I can could definitely see this being an issue for collectors years from now.

I believe Guilty Gear Xrd came with a manual. It's been awhile since a new game felt that weighty.

Good one, I totally forgot about that game and I even own it. :p

J-Skee

The disappointment on my face was so real when Bloodborne & Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster didn't come with manuals.

webkatt

I was really hoping Rare Replay would come with one.
But it probably would have been over 200 pages....

CrovaxPSO

These are all Japanese Vita titles:

Nice idea for a thread!

Here's what I can confirm from my collection (mostly Vita). These are all 'full' manuals, not single bits of paper or anything.

Vita
Europe

- Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (colour, 26 pages)
- New Little King's Story (colour, 10 pages)
- Army Corps of Hell (colour, 10 pages)
- Toukiden: The Age of Demons (colour, 12 pages)
- History: Legends of War (B&W)
- Lumines Electric Symphony (B&W, 22 pages)
- Dragonball Z: Battle of Z (B&W, 16 pages)
- Super Monkey Ball Banana Splitz (B&W, 8 pages)
- Rayman Legends (B&W, 8 pages)
- Rayman Origins (B&W, 20 pages)
- Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen (B&W, 29 pages)
- One Piece: Unlimited World Red (B&W, 25 pages)
- Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (B&W, 18 pages)
- Tales of Hearts R (B&W, 25 pages)
- Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour (B&W, 4 pages)
- Child of Light: Complete Edition (B&W, 4 pages)

Vita
Japan

- IA/VT -COLORFUL- (colour, 31 pages)
- Earth Defense Force 2 Portable V2 (colour, 21 pages)
- Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax (colour, manual folds out into one long strip)
- Senran Kagura: Estival Versus (colour, 43 pages)
- Bullet Girls (colour, 9 pages)
- Dream Club Zero Portable (colour, 29 pages)

3DS
Japan

- Zoo Keeper 3D (colour, 27 pages)

PS4
Europe

- Monopoly Fun Pack (B&W)
- The Pinball Arcade (colour)
- The Pinball Arcade Season 2 (colour)

Will edit in the PS4 page numbers later, forgot to check~

PillarEN

I'm expecting a nice color manual with Persona 5. I'm expecting Bethesda RPGs to come with a decent manual though likely black and white BUT with a colored map.

That's happened to me as well. I usually pull out my phone and quickly search for an unboxing video of that particular game. It's been helpful

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Rare Replay is one of two Xbox One games I own and I admit, I was disappointed to open it and see... nothing at all across from the disc. They should have done at least a 30 page manual, one page for each game.

Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair (PS4, 33 pages)

And XSEED is localizing, which means the western version will probably have an awesome full color manual as well. Woo!

These are all Japanese Vita titles:

Amazing, thanks!

miku

Found some more for PS4

Japanese Version

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
OP, you should add all the multiplat games to the X1 list. Generally if it has it on one(within the same region), it will have it on the other. Evolve and Wither 3 both have manuals on X1.

randomkid

This is so many more manuals than I expected. I really thought Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft had succeeded in utterly eradicating them this generation since I don't own a single game that has one. Keep these posts coming!

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member

Wow, nice work! That's crazy how many European Vita releases have manuals. US is getting the short end of the stick.

Found some more for PS4

Japanese Version

I bet those are some nice manuals. Old school Square manuals were always so good.

OP, you should add all the multiplat games to the X1 list. Generally if it has it on one(within the same region), it will have it on the other. Evolve and Wither 3 both have manuals on X1.

Good point. Done.

This is so many more manuals than I expected. I really thought Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft had succeeded in utterly eradicating them this generation since I don't own a single game that has one. Keep these posts coming!

Yeah, it's nice to see. And I'm sure there are many more games with manuals out there. The dream is still alive!

d00d3n

The digital only PC puzzle game TIS-100 has the best physical manual in recent memory. You have to print it yourself, but it is to the point and integral to succeeding in the game.

i hate when the game comes with a PDF Manual. I like to read the manual when i first get a game while i take a nice big shit and the game is loading up/installing. I cant do that now.

Blizzard games always come with hefty physical goodies even for regular versions, notepads, manual, guest passes for other games etc, the boxes are well designed as well.

I can confirm that the following European 3DS releases all come with manuals (or an art booklet in case of Spirit Camera):

- Boulder Dash-XL 3D (B/W, 37 pages) Content duplicated over 5 languages
- Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (Color, 56 pages). Also comes with AR cards
- One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP (Color, 43 pages). May feature several languages depending on the region. The Scandinavian version has mainly English but a couple pages in Finnish and Swedish
- One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP 2 (Color, 42 pages)
- Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (Color, 29 pages)
- Rhythm Thief & The Emperor's Treasure (B/W, 29 pages) The Scandinavian version has English, and some Swedish and Finnish
- Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked (B/W, 38 pages)
- Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir (no manual, but comes with a 16-page art booklet)
- Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (Color, 61 pages)
- Tales of the Abyss (B/W, 68 pages) Quickstart content duplicated over 8 (!) languages
- Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy (Color, 42 pages)
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (B/W, 34 pages)

Edit: Also European Wii U
- Hyrule Warriors (Color, 31 pages)

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
i hate when the game comes with a PDF Manual. I like to read the manual when i first get a game while i take a nice big shit and the game is loading up/installing. I cant do that now.

I stop reading manuals when they go digital. Part of the reason is it's just a pain to find them, usually.

Blizzard games always come with hefty physical goodies even for regular versions, notepads, manual, guest passes for other games etc, the boxes are well designed as well.

Yeah, I especially love Blizzard Collectors Editions.

My PS4 copy of Disney Infinity 2.0 has a manual!

Nice, added!

I can confirm that the following European 3DS releases all come with manuals (or an art booklet in case of Spirit Camera):

- Boulder Dash-XL 3D (B/W, 37 pages) Content duplicated over 5 languages
- Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (Color, 56 pages). Also comes with AR cards
- One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP (Color, 43 pages). May feature several languages depending on the region. The Scandinavian version has mainly English but a couple pages in Finnish and Swedish
- One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP 2 (Color, 42 pages)
- Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (Color, 29 pages)
- Rhythm Thief & The Emperor's Treasure (B/W, 29 pages) The Scandinavian version has English, and some Swedish and Finnish
- Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked (B/W, 38 pages)
- Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir (no manual, but comes with a 16-page art booklet)
- Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (Color, 61 pages)
- Tales of the Abyss (B/W, 68 pages) Quickstart content duplicated over 8 (!) languages
- Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy (Color, 42 pages)
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (B/W, 34 pages)

Edit: Also European Wii U
- Hyrule Warriors (Color, 31 pages)

Thanks, added!

with in-game tutorials, wikis, on-line manuals and in-game manuals do we even need paper manuals anymore ?

I'd rather have that stuff put in the manual, rather than a tutorial. It seems like most tutorials assume I've never played a game before in my life, so I have to slog through 30 minutes of boring content that insults my intelligence. Just put that in the manual and get right to the good stuff in the game.

Summon Night 5, like all Working Designs games, will have a full color one:

That's amazing! But, yeah, not really current gen.

Top Bottom