• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA / AMD market-share graph | Standalone desktop GPU gap widens

jambo

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/47105/amds-gpu-market-share-drops-again-even-release-fury/index.html

8tI1pfS.png

Fast forward to now, where we're in Q3 2015, and AMD has multiple new products on the market: the R9 Fury X, R9 Fury, R9 390X and a bunch of rebranded 300 series video cards. According to Mercury Research's latest data, NVIDIA has jumped from 76% of the discrete GPU market in Q4 2014 to 82% in Q2 2015. This leaves AMD with just 18% of the dGPU market share, even after the release of multiple new products from Team Red.

Let's see if Greenland and HBM2 can save AMD in 2016.

CHC

Not surprising, but it's still sad to see competition dwindling even further. I'm an Nvidia user, but then again why wouldn't I be? They make mostly superior products and in the latest offerings they're not even more expensive. A third manufacturer needs to come in and shake up the market.

Qassim

Oh wow. 82%. That's insane but weirdly not even that surprising.

A depressing thought is that maybe ATI would have remained competitive had they not been acquired by AMD, I'm sure I read something a month or so ago that suggested AMD was (at the time) worth less than quarter of what they paid for ATI.

TheFatOne

I'm planning on upgrading my pc next summer, and right now it's NVidia or bust. AMD latest GPUs are a massive disappointment.

Not really surprising, AMD hasn't had a lot of good new products outside of the R9 Fury (X)/Nano for a while, plus their software support isn't as good as Nvidia's (that's the perception, at least).

Not surprising, but it's still sad to see competition dwindling even further. I'm an Nvidia user, but then again why wouldn't I be? They make mostly superior products and in the latest offerings they're not even more expensive. A third manufacturer needs to come in and shake up the market.

I'd love to see Qualcomm bring the Adreno branding to PC with dedicated GPUs. They certainly have the capital, R&D, etc.

Crisium

Maxwell is a beast. It's a shame AMD didn't move more GPUs when it was GCN vs Kepler and, on a hardware level at least, AMD offered generally better products at most price points. They are still competitive below the 980 Ti, but no one seems to notice and the GTX 970 still is the auto-buy for most people, despite their exposure on marketing of that product and an 8GB alternative.

Xdrive05

So WTF is going on at AMD? Have they just not been able to compete on the technology with Nvidia at price levels where they can be profitable? And if so why is that?

Also, is there any reason at all to think that a third party could enter the market at this point? Or has that ship already sailed in this part of the hardware industry?

Maxwell is a beast. It's a shame AMD didn't move more GPUs when it was GCN vs Kepler and, on a hardware level at least, AMD offered generally better products at most price points. They are still competitive below the 980 Ti, but no one seems to notice and the GTX 970 still is the auto-buy for most people, despite their exposure on marketing of that product and an 8GB alternative.

It doesn't help that there seems to be a negative connotation connected to the modern AMD brand, along with Nvidia seemingly having a LOT more mindshare

So WTF is going on at AMD? Have they just not been able to compete on the technology with Nvidia at price levels where they can be profitable? And if so why is that?

Also, is there any reason at all to think that a third party could enter the market at this point? Or has that ship already sailed in this part of the hardware industry?

The only companies I could ever see getting in on it are Samsung or Qualcomm. They're both huge players in terms of GPUs + CPUs in the mobile markets. However, I don't think Samsung would ever have interest. Qualcomm, though? With enough of a kick in the butt, they could give Nvidia a big run for their money.

Nvidia's market cap is $12,580,000,000
AMD's market cap is $1,403,000,000
Qualcomm's market cap is $97,520,000,000

Qualcomm as a company DWARFS Nvidia. I'd love to see them make dedicated GPUs for PC.

1amd_nvidia.png

zoozilla

AMD almost always provides a better deal for mid-level cards, though.

Are they not promoting those cards enough, or is a huge portion of the market buying high-end stuff?

x3sphere

I'd say having the top GPU has a ripple effect for brand perception, elevates the entire product line in the minds of consumers.

200 series was very competitive against Kepler, although I think the fact it launched with a ridiculously loud cooler hurt it a lot. Proper non-reference options that are usually expected at launch didn't come until like 5 months later. And then there was the whole Bitcoin thing, many gamers didn't even get to buy the cards until that craze settled down. Sure it was good for AMD that they were selling tons of cards, but at the same time not capturing many long term customers.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Dat AMD %

jayzd.gif

AMD = Finished once and for all

Scum

Wasn't there a rumour a few months back that Samsung were interested in acquiring AMD? They could sure do with the injection of funds for some R&D shenanigans...

Are they not promoting those cards enough, or is a huge portion of the market buying high-end stuff?

Lots of people looking for low to mid end cards are buying the 750, 750ti or 960. Mid to high end? 970. Higher end? 980/980ti

Nvidia has a lot more marketing and a lot more mindshare in the average consumer

Qassim

The things AMD haven't really been able to compete as well on have been the 'value-add' and peripheral things surrounding the GPU ecosystem. AMD's GPU hardware has generally remained competitive, but NVIDIA have a lot of investment and resources in the development of other things that add value beyond simply better performance in a GPU - and those are things that gain mindshare.

AMD develop their own answers to some of NVIDIA's initiatives (e.g. G-Sync -> Freesync), but the problem with that is that is just cements AMD as followers. NVIDIA does something and AMD respond. That's another mindshare thing, it presents NVIDIA as the company that innovates (albeit with a 'catch' of needing to use their products..).

Crisium

It's mindshare. People see GTX 960, and they buy it. Even when the Radeon 290 was $50 more and that gave you 45% more performance, in general people either went with the cheaper 960 or the more expensive 970.

Last time this was posted it was 24 percent , now 18 percent.

They don't even deserve that 18 percent ... between the 300 series being a resticker and the 390 being renamed and repriced with that fury brand crap they lost all 'underdog' sympathy from me.
Even when they bleed market share they don't want to compete...
What exactly is their purpose anymore when they are just as greedy as nvidia, but half as competent, when they don't compete but just collude to keep prices insanely high.

Get your shit together AMD

Avtomat

even thought I have NVIDIA
really want AMD to up their game just for competition's sake.
They have no chance in the cpu space and things are looking dicey with their gpu output of late, at the moment I am really just hoping someone buys them up.

Wonder what this means for consoles if they go belly up

Mohonky

I didnt buy an AMD card recntly, the thought of the company going tits up and having no drivers for my card crossed my mind. Looking at that graph it coukd prove to be a good decision.

Izayoi

Banned
Maybe releasing the same cards a fourth time will turn things around.
Fourth time is a charm.

I don't really see AMD coming out of this one.

Honestly, once they killed ATI, that was the end of my sympathies for them.

Nothing but downhill since.

rrs

the whole bitcoin thing seemed to be a Q1 thing, but killing off the whole AMD market most likely didn't help when nvidia responded with efficient gpus that don't require a new PSU to upgrade to use

Kieli

Frankly, I'm not too happy with their 300 series. It performs about the same and costs about the same as the nVIDIA equivalents.

But that's NOT good enough. They need to knock it out of the park. They can't afford to play on an equal footing when they command <30% of the market...

Crisium

We need to start a crowd funding campaign to bring back 3dfx.

Voodoo 6!

Nvidia bought them and killed them. Even SLI stands for something totally different.

Although at this point Nvidia might as well compete with itself, and call half their lineup Voodoo.

Qassim

Nvidia bought them and killed them. Even SLI stands for something totally different.

Although at this point Nvidia might as well compete with itself, and call half their lineup Voodoo.

3DFX were dead before NVIDIA acquired them. NVIDIA just collected up whatever left that was valuable (patents, IP, etc).

lord_lad

Banned
not surprising...

most branded laptops and desktops with dedicate GPUs are nvidia branded...

at this point in time, only a fraction of system builders buy AMD products either due to price or inherent hatred of Nvidia.....

system builders are already a bunch going the way of coco (i used to be a system builder myself but abandoned that 'hobby' when i reached 30....call me lazy, i just went Playstation 3/4 and never went back. Never had a desktop PC since 2007..i do have a laptop with a Nvidia GPU though..)

jrcbandit

Not really surprising, AMD hasn't had a lot of good new products outside of the R9 Fury (X)/Nano for a while, plus their software support isn't as good as Nvidia's (that's the perception, at least).

Except Nvidia's software support has been crappy for awhile now. Nvidia drivers were crashing with Chrome for ~2 months before they finally fixed it. There's a flickering SLI performance issue at 4k resolution that's been around for at least a year and only after a ton of complaints by users will it finally be fixed within the next driver update or 2. Windows 10 drivers suck - many games I can no longer alt-tab out of without the Nvidia drivers crashing at some point (Witcher 3, Aliens: Isolation, Tales from the Borderlands, etc). Nvidia driver support for Kepler is complete crap now, where a 960 can outperform a 780Ti in games like Witcher 3 and Project CARS, which is crazy.

The 980 ti sucked the wind out of the only potentially interesting cards they introduced this year. The rest of their cards are boring refreshes, with some that do compete ok with the midrange Nvidia cards. Nothing stands out for AMD as the absolute goto at any price range, really, which is kind of what they need to attempt any kind of market share recovery.

strata8

I think at this point an Intel/Nvidia monopoly is almost a certainty on Windows PCs. The only place there's any real competition is in the mobile space.

Crisium

Frankly, I'm not too happy with their 300 series. It performs about the same and costs about the same as the nVIDIA equivalents.

kpTtT.gif

But that's NOT good enough. They need to knock it out of the park. They can't afford to play on an equal footing when they command <30% of the market...

They cannot afford to get a fraction of Nvidia's margins when they command <20% of market. It's damned if they do, damned if they don't. Again, 290s were selling reguarily for $240-$260. People bought the $40-$50 cheaper GTX 960 overwhelmingly more even though 290 is literally as fast as SLI 960 in most games. Or they happily paid $80 more for GTX 970s even though the performance difference is generally less than 5%. If you look at where the 290 was positioned, it would have made both the 970 and 960 a tough sell in a brand agnostic market. But the market is not brand agnostic and instead it sold terribly.

They cannot sell any product regardless of the performance, regardless of the price because the Nvidia name is king right now. They might as well price equally to try and defeat the "value brand" mentality. If they somehow turn around their image that is...

wildfire

Banned
Honestly there are so many reasons AMD messed up.

They rebranded too many gpus. Honestly I thought this would get overlooked but it's not and it is killing them at the $100-$200 price points.

Their $500+ gpus aren't premium products. No HDMI? Poor overclocking? Sadly even the 4GB limit hasn't been overcome as neatly by the improved performance of HBM as I was hoping.

AMD actually has some decent offerings between these 2 price points but it's less than $250 gpus that sell the most and the high end products influence the perception of these middle priced products.

AMD's mid-end is rebrands of rebrands and unfortunately do not match up well against Nvidia's mid-end. At this point, Nvidia's entire lineup is Maxwell from top to bottom.

Top Bottom