• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there any way to keep P.T. when upgrading the PS4 HDD? (please read OP)

kubus

Bought a 2TB Seagate HDD yesterday and installed it in our PS4 with save files backed up on a USB. It was painful because we lost P.T. in the process. Now someone mentioned to me that the PS4 has a restore from backup feature, which might potentially have preserved P.T. if I used that method.

I've already installed the new hard drive though. Something tells me that simply putting back in the old hard drive and work from there won't work...

Is there any way to reverse and keep P.T.?

What might be helpful is that we have a 2nd PS4 with P.T. installed on it. So if the old HDD is useless now I could maybe use the other PS4 to make a backup and restore the backup on our main PS4? Don't know if backups are locked to systems.

I really hate Konami right now.

Thanks for any help.

airjoca

P.T. is restorable, I've done that myself when upgrading to a 2Tb disc.

I don't know if you can restore a PS4 backup to a different PS4 though.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
P.T. will definitely restore after a backup.

Whether or not you can restore P.T. from the other PS4 that still has it is probably related to what PSN account that P.T. installation is related to.

kubus

P.T. is restorable, I've done that myself when upgrading to a 2Tb disc.

I don't know if you can restore a PS4 backup to a different PS4 though.

Good to know - thanks.

I found one Gamefaqs post saying that you can still use any HDD used with a PS4 in the past so I'm gonna try revert to my old HDD now, make a backup and restore the backup on the new HDD.

Wish me luck :(

P.T. will definitely restore after a backup.

Whether or not you can restore P.T. from the other PS4 that still has it is probably related to what PSN account that P.T. installation is related to.
Both PS4s use the same PSN accounts, so that won't be a problem I think. If this fails I'll just try that method then, provided the backup isn't locked to the other system.

OmegaDL50

It's all at the official website

Here's the specific guide for it = http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/backup.html

https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/Upgrade-PS4-HDD

If it's similar to the PS3 backup utility, then it's probably found in the system settings

There is a backup utility that more or less copies an image of the HDD to USB. Turn off the console, change the HDD and use the Backup and Restore Feature to restore the copied data.

Simply just copying the application data straight to USB and copying it back doesn't work, you'll need to use the backup and restore utility to preserve software without needing to download it over again.

The caveat however is the backup and restore utility will only work from the same console. Due to the nature of the backup ties the system serial number / firmware to the console itself. So because of this you can only Back up PS4 A and restore to PS4 A, you cannot Back Up PS4 A and Restore to PS4 B, it's a one to one backup and restoration. Not a transfer of data from one console to another.

benny_a

Both PS4s use the same PSN accounts, so that won't be a problem I think. If this fails I'll just try that method then, provided the backup isn't locked to the other system.
Then it will definitely work. Just treat everything you did before as null and void and start the whole process with the PS4 that still has P.T. on it as the base.

The caveat however is the back up and restore utility will only work from the same console. Due to the nature of the back up ties the system serial number / firmware to the back up itself. So because of this you can only Back up PS4 A and restore to PS4 A, you cannot Back Up PS4 A and Restore to PS4 B, it's a one to one backup and restoration. Not a transfer of data from one console to another.
What is this based on?

The only stated requirement is that the backup and restore is made using the same system software version.

playXray

I'd go with the backup from the other PS4 that still contains it. As far as I know, as soon as you remove an HDD from a PS4 you effectively wipe it, as the second you put it back in (even in the original PS4 that it came from) it will be formatted.

playXray

Then it will definitely work. Just treat everything you did before as null and void and start the whole process with the PS4 that still has P.T. on it as the base.

What is this based on?

The only stated requirement is that the backup and restore is made using the same system software version.

I'm pretty sure the whole point of this is that you can transfer to a new PS4 - Sony even encouraged this for users low on HDD space, suggesting they migrate to a new 1TB PS4 using the backup tool.

OmegaDL50

What is this based on?

If it's anything like the PS3 backup and restore utility which used an identical method then this is false.

Owning two PS3's myself the backup utility copies an image of the HDD that contains an encrypted key of the that is identified with the console's serial number. Copying it to another console will not work because each encryption key is unique to each console.

I don't expect Sony to have changed this for the PS4 due to the nature of security itself.

benny_a

If it's anything like the PS3 backup and restore utility which used an identical method then this is false.

Owning two PS3's myself the backup utility copies an image of the HDD that contains an encrypted key of the that is identified with the console's serial number. Copying it to another console will not work because each encryption key is unique to each console.

I don't expect Sony to have changed this for the PS4 due to the nature of security itself.
Well based on their user's guide and them advertising this feature they have changed it.

I think someone looking for advice on PS4 backup and restore is better served by actual PS4 experience and wording used by the user's guide instead of speculation based on what was the case with the previous iteration of the PlayStation.

Sony User Manual said:
Users who have never signed in to PlayStation™Network can restore saved data to only the original PS4™ system from which the data was backed up. To restore saved data to another PS4™ system, you must sign in to PlayStation™Network before backing up data.

They've changed it - only those who have never signed into PSN cannot back up data to a new console.

kubus

I'd go with the backup from the other PS4 that still contains it. As far as I know, as soon as you remove an HDD from a PS4 you effectively wipe it, as the second you put it back in (even in the original PS4 that it came from) it will be formatted.

Looks like you're right. Knew I shouldn't have trusted a Gamefaqs user :p.
Just put back in my old drive and it's bugging me for a usb with the reinstallation files. Looks like it's going to do a full wipe.

Time for plan B - backup using the other PS4. Thanks benny_a, PrintedCrayon and OmegaDL50 (and others if I missed them) for figuring out if the backup works with a different system! Makes me feel much more confident fiddling with these things.

NZerker12

Funny enough I did this couple days ago as I wanted to upgrade my HDD (500GB) to a 2TB because It was full but I wanted to keep P.T so I used the Backup and Restore Utility.
Do keep in mind though that backing up will take hours. My back up took 8 hours for 398GB of data so won't be able to play it during that time. Fortunately the restoration process only took 3-4 hours so it wasn't as bad.

kubus

Funny enough I did this couple days ago as I wanted to upgrade my HDD (500GB) to a 2TB because It was full but I wanted to keep P.T so I used the Backup and Restore Utility.
Do keep in mind though that backing up will take hours. My back up took 8 hours for 398GB of data so won't be able to play it during that time. Fortunately the restoration process only took 3-4 hours so it wasn't as bad.
The biggest usb I have is 16GB so I'll have to delete literally everything from the system except P.T. before making the backup :p. And then hope it will still fit. That will speed up the whole backup and restoration process too I assume.

Luckily we have fast and unlimited internet so downloading our library again is just a matter of time.

benny_a

Here is an image step-by-step guide: http://imgur.com/a/9giKA

Also again: Everything before this step is null and void. The PS4 that has P.T. is basically your old PS4 and you want to upgrade to the PS4 you inserted the new drive into.

Slightly more advanced tip if you want to speed up the backup and restore process: Delete games you don't want to transfer on the old PS4. What is deleted will not be copied.
(Of course they need to be downloaded again or the disc inserted again with the install process if you wish to play them in the future.)

Edit: Well you had the same idea due to necessity. :p

schick85

What if you restore you're backup file on a new PS4? As long as you you use the same account, I'm assuming PT will transfer over?

I used a 4 GB flashdrive to use with keeping P.T. AND the save file for P.T. It was a little under 4 gb's total to back them up.

I thought you needed a external hdd to back up but you do not.

I used a 4 GB flashdrive to use with keeping P.T. AND the save file for P.T. It was a little under 4 gb's total to back them up.

I thought you needed a external hdd to back up but you do not.

Excellent, thank you. This is likely the route I will take since I have unlimited fast internet and several games on disc.

kubus

Thanks for the help everyone!

zsf8AdU.jpg

Mission success!

Restored P.T. to our main PS4 by making a backup of our other PS4 that still had P.T. on it. Making the backup took less than 5 minutes (the backup file was 1.4gb) and restoring it took even less.

Really happy to have it on the hard drive again. Now I can start redownloading all our games :p

WITHE1982

zsf8AdU.jpg

Mission success!

Restored P.T. to our main PS4 by making a backup of our other PS4 that still had P.T. on it. Making the backup took less than 5 minutes (the backup file was 1.4gb) and restoring it took even less.

Really happy to have it on the hard drive again. Now I can start redownloading all our games :p

Good to know it can be done. I was holding off on upgrading just to keep hold of PT.

I'm off to buy my 2TB Seagate after work then. Can't wait for the extra space. getting a bit sick of having to delete games whenever I grab anything new from PSN.

kubus

Good to know it can be done. I was holding off on upgrading just to keep hold of PT.

I'm off to buy my 2TB Seagate after work then. Can't wait for the extra space. getting a bit sick of having to delete games whenever I grab anything new from PSN.
Had the same issue (deleting stuff everytime I wanted to DL something) and now seeing that sea of free space even after downloading everything in my library feels so good.

Good luck with the upgrade!

Garlador

I'll have to upgrade my PS4 at some point (when some SSD drop in price, hopefully), and PT is never leaving my system, so I'll be sure to use this thread when the time comes.

I'm a little confused here so if someone could clearly explain this in a couple words that be great. I don't think this is what OP was asking but If you already own PT and have it download on a PS4 can you transfer it to another PS4?

OmegaDL50

I'm a little confused here so if someone could clearly explain this in a couple words that be great. I don't think this is what OP was asking but If you already own PT and have it download on a PS4 can you transfer it to another PS4?

Only if you do a system backup. You cannot simply just copy the data for the game onto a USB stick and copy it to another console as this doesn't include the license for the game itself.

Are there any recommended hard drives (non SSD) that people recommend?

The Samsung Spinpoint M9T is a 9.5mm 2TB HDD that works in the PS4. It is the current largest capacity 9.5mm drive available. The PS4 drive cage itself doesn't support drives larger than 9.5mm so this is your best bet in terms of reasonable pricing and storage capacity.

You can either buy the bare drive itself which costs more
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MI19WXK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or you can buy this and remove the HDD from it's enclosure - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FRHTSK4/?tag=neogaf0e-20 and get the exact same thing for less

Also if you are careful enough, You can preserve the enclosure for the Slim Backup Plus and reuse the default 500GB PS4 drive as removable storage.

EXclaw

Neo Member

zsf8AdU.jpg

Mission success!

Are you able to start the game? I did the exact same thing a month ago, but I can't start the game :(

Pejo

Gold Member
PSY・S;176108739 said:
I wonder how valuable PS4s with copies of P.T. will be in the distant future.

Don't you also have to give up your PSN ID if you want to sell it? That's the part that would hold me back.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I really wish I had never deleted it. I thought I only lost it after a HDD upgrade myself, but if it is transferrable apparently I must have deleted it because I could never redownload it.

Should have done a backup! :(

kubus

Are you able to start the game? I did the exact same thing a month ago, but I can't start the game :(
Whoops, sorry about not replying

Yeah I just tried and it starts up fine. What happens if you try to start it?

If it's something with licenses, have you set the PS4 as your primary system? I had to do that again after switching the hdd. Restoring licenses might help as well.

LiK

yea, if you wanna make the process go faster, just delete all apps except for PT. use the backup/restore function during the process and it's fine.

Might be doing this soon. So all I should need is:
- My 128GB Usb Drive
- The 2TB Seagate Drive
- Screwdriver

And make sure to do the backup/restore option.

Right?

F4r0_Atak

Just a question... If I wanted to backup my current PS4 data (save games, installed games/apps, P.T, etc) and I wanted to use the restore option of that data on a new PS4 system (apparently, I will just need to sign-in in the other system for it to work), which I would have already changed the HDD to a 2TB one, would it be possible?

Because, I am planning in trading-in my console to get a more recent version of the PS4, most likely the Uncharted one. Ever since Until Dawn, my PS4 started to become louder and hotter faster during certain scenes. Would it be better for me change to get the new model or stick with my current one and just upgrade the system?

Top Bottom