• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
smh2ems9b.gif

Stream Monster Headquarters is the number one location to live vicariously through our favorite fighting gamers. Watch as they push buttons for our amusement and fight each other over bread crumbs.

Here are some quick links:

header1qza11.png

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.

header2vglhe.png

Often, some fighting games can seem intimidating to players new and old. Below are a bunch of resources that may be of aid to new players, or handy as references.

Zissou

That banner, haha. This week will be the first purely community week- will be interesting to see how thread traffic is impacted.

Kumubou

So the weekly threads are no more...

Time to start playing dead games again for a dead community now.
No, this does NOT mean UMvC3 -- and not because it's not dead!

rookiejet

I missed the argument for why the move would be good for FGW. Like, yeah, having no exceptions makes future moderating of Gaming easier and less contentious, I understand, but why were FGW'ers arguing for the move?

In any case, it's happened. No sense in ruminating, and being so glum about it! We're all still here (I hope) and you're all still awesome

Lost 1000 PP in an hour. Fucking free.

That's karma, bitch

To be serious though, seems like you are or were on tilt. I take a break when that happens, grab some coffee/tea and chill. It's usually easier for me to see why I am losing then when I distance myself from the game and relax my mind.

jbug617

Banned
That PR Tournament should be good. Seems like good US players are attending along with R/Kappa sending some folks.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It makes proper comparison of pre-community and post-community thread activity impossible. If the only thing that changed was the move of gaming discussion -> gaming community, we could definitively know to what extent the move has altered thread activity.

We gave our arguments, SHOUTA even gave his, it's pointless to stir shit further and no point in false hope.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'd be interested to read it. You should post.
I guess it's no use just sitting there on a phone, especially now that it won't disrupt current discussion. Copy+pasted so there might be some stuff that's phrased wrong:

My (late) feelings, taking into consideration I've always leaned a bit pro-Community, and this is definitely not exhaustive as people like kirblar, Cosmo and Anne have made their points the most succinctly:

Pros of Community:

- Weeklies are kind of dead. At least for now until SFV comes out and rebounds some. NLBC will find its new home/stream, and Watson is seemingly on his way to solid footing, but if the SFV netcode is good we might just see a switch into the type of communities eSports games have focused on streamers as opposed to venues, and hopefully pressure remaining devs into implementing good netcode. Around the time The Break and Cross Counter Live began to fizzle and OBS tapped out temporarily, discussion became slightly more fluid and Community-like.

- I've gone into more detail/ranted about it before but as FGW grew the usefulness of the actual weekly elements of the thread plummeted. More users means less people reading OP. The weeklies were 98% streams maybe one person watched each and wanted in OP for representation purposes; and this is taking into consideration that we tried not to include every stream under the sun and be selective.

- Malice's event calendar is the best in the business and effectively puts the weekly event portions out of the business. Can't pimp this enough, it's fantastic.

- Ease of use for regular members. One sub, one thread, less searching by the virtue of one thread as opposed to many.

- Less drive by shit posts, but TBH this hasn't been a problem for FGW in a long time. People who feel a certain type of way just make Gaming threads to get what they need to say.

Cons of Community:

- Insularity problem is very real. Community forum encourages tighter discussions that promotes insularity and insularity then can lead to community death when people start going really off the rails and you face the fate half of the sports threads on GAF do. And if we go off topic already then isn't this even more problematic in Community which is easily the biggest enabler for that sort of thing (word to Halo threads)? Being in Gaming helps people self-police and these threads are a hallmark example of that. Regardless, I don't feel the off-topic point is a real thing considering how in depth conversation gets otherwise. Some relief is to be expected in threads with some of the most nuanced discussion I've seen on GAF.

- It might be hard for mods to see if they haven't kept up, but FGW exists in that odd place where we have members that go in and out over the years because it's in Gaming. They check the threads to see what's new the way you check Gaming threads for what's new, not like Gaming Community threads which are much more static in comparison. WesternHeretic immediately comes to mind as that sort of poster who's very much part of the FGW family but wades in and out for the news alongside other gaming news in Gaming. Say goodbye to those people (or perhaps, longer goodbyes), who aren't necessarily drive by or shitposters either. News aggregation is definitely the strongest point for Gaming, and IMO the biggest point of contention on both sides of the argument as to how much this matters.

- Exposure. Not sure if this is a con but I'm pretty sure it is. I mean, that is why Community threads got a grace period in Gaming before they got shipped off, right? Really does sound like a privileged position saying x community is doing fine in Community when that's not the case for all communities that get moved. If you haven't been a part of a community that pretty much dropped off a cliff after it moved to Community, only to see people posting in Gaming/OT actively about the topic wondering why there isn't a focused place to talk about it (and even after you link them nothing changes because their browsing habits are better served via the general forum), then you don't understand where the stigma stems from instead of being some sort of defense mechanism contrived by people who can't do an extra click a day. And you can't cite those threads because they're dead and you can just write it off as the users losing interest without needing to consider other factors. Historically I feel the mods have felt this problem isn't in the design of the site and blamed the users for the faults of this system and I don't think that will change anytime soon because it serves the best interests of the largest communities. Mid-size and smaller? RIP. And I think FGW might sit on that line, or find its way down there.

- We lose Spotlights, which are seemingly the best and most popular original content out of our community. IMO any other way you implement them won't be as accessible as being in the OPs of every new thread.

General notes:

- Weekly format in community makes no sense because nobody browses Community for news. If this is our graveyard, it should be in standard 200 page OTs. Switching it to monthlies makes no sense if the time interval is irrelevant and mods have done that with this switch.

- Pretty much every time we've polled the community over the years it's been far more pro-Gaming than pro-Community. I don't know how much this counts but I think ignoring the concerns people have raised and the fact that many of them only check it because they check Gaming is phase one of both death by insularity and death by alienation. Mods being unreceptive to the community's nature is more problematic to me than the actual location of the thread

tl;dr: This move is seemingly more in favour of keeping this community in line with others and not valuing the attention paid to current events which these threads were founded upon. I'm kind of with notworksafe with the notion that this is all falling on deaf ears because weighing these pros and cons with the community should have preceded the actual move, not afterwards, and that's kind of a crummy position to put the non-authoritative party in. Here's your new home, now you have the opportunity to tell us we're wrong. Hard not for that to rub the wrong way, especially considering the history of discussions about Community here.

Maybe it's hard for mods to see the context or it's hard for us to see where the Gaming/Community line is drawn exactly, but the series of events is kind of strange, and Bish's replies didn't exactly inspire confidence or general acknowledgement of a lot of the big complaints/cons of community. FGC-GAF is definitely in this weird place where it's a weird blend of both Gaming and Community, and I definitely feel it has to be given special accommodation or attention because of its nature, but you can argue we have been getting that all these years up until now.

Anne

What Shouta said in the other thread is really all there is to it.

I'm not a fan of labeling this stream monster HQ btw. I like to think I do a lot of other things besides get into stream monster shenanigans and I don't want people coming to the thread just expecting that. SMHQ is a cute joke but really that's the last reason why I'm here.

petghost

Banned
I'm kind of with notworksafe with the notion that this is all falling on deaf ears because weighing these pros and cons with the community should have preceded the actual move, not afterwards, and that's kind of a crummy position to put the non-authoritative party in. Here's your new home, now you have the opportunity to tell us we're wrong. Hard not for that to rub the wrong way, especially considering the history of discussions about Community here.

Yeah this is what bugs me the most about how everything occurred. We got moved seemingly on a whim with no explanation until after the fact when it became basically a fact which was impossible to argue.

I'm not a fan of labeling this stream monster HQ btw. I like to think I do a lot of other things besides get into stream monster shenanigans and I don't want people coming to the thread just expecting that. SMHQ is a cute joke but really that's the last reason why I'm here.

one of many ppl that visit this thread. who knows majority can be stream monstering it up. It's not that huge of a deal since most thread titles are usually jokes/one liners anyways.

you should check out DA:II's thread title/OP and see who has it worse

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
That was a beautiful write up Enzo. Just made it back from Summer Jam and found it weird that the old thread was killed and now we are doing monthlies?

I don't know if the discussion was ended by Bish since there is too much to read at this time of the night but what Enzo pointed out specifically about the weekly news was right on point. People can easily browse gaming and find FGW on there for the news that pops out for a lot of games. I can say with confidence, being on FGW for 2 years (if I'm not mistaken), there has not been a week where a couple of tidbits of information would come out and people would dip in (non-regulars) and give their two cents. However, with the counter argument that a new thread can be made for news makes it more taxing, in my opinion, to make a new thread for something that isn't as big (like new costume DLC for a game) as a new character/game reveal. Now with the insularity, there isn't that opportunity for the conversation to be as diverse and open since its in community. Giving people the opportunity to casually click upon our weekly makes it less overwhelming since its a casual spot, compared to a gaming community where they might not feel they are entitled to give their opinion. I say this based off of experience IRL and online with all the threads and groups I've been meeting up with throughout these years while playing fighting games. People are terrified at times since the task of talking with a "hardcore" community makes them feel pressured to either be really good at something or not even bother in the first place due to the highly competitive vibe a community thread might give compared to a weekly thread in gaming. That's just my 2 cents on the matter, whatever happens happens, I just hope FG on GAF doesn't become a graveyard since its a hub for a lot of key members in the FGC to take many suggestions and see what they can improve on.

Yeah, SMQH was a good joke, but I also don't come here to watch streams. I usually don't watch anything outside of Evo. I watched the Bison run just because I have never seen a good Bison in SFIV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom