• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kumubou

What Shouta said in the other thread is really all there is to it.

I'm not a fan of labeling this stream monster HQ btw. I like to think I do a lot of other things besides get into stream monster shenanigans and I don't want people coming to the thread just expecting that. SMHQ is a cute joke but really that's the last reason why I'm here.
Wasn't it your suggestion originally to call the thread that? :x

Interestingly, I suspect that a lot of the actual stream monstering will take place in the event-specific threads that will pop up on Gaming-side. The thread's focus with regards to fighting games has always been kind of scattershot, but that fits with the relatively broad spectrum of posters that are represented.

As an aside, the one annoyance I have with the move to Community is being dumped back into the Community thread index every time I leave the thread on a mobile device. Insignificant, but still.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That was a beautiful write up Enzo. Just made it back from Summer Jam and found it weird that the old thread was killed and now we are doing monthlies?

I don't know if the discussion was ended by Bish since there is too much to read at this time of the night but what Enzo pointed out specifically about the weekly news was right on point. People can easily browse gaming and find FGW on there for the news that pops out for a lot of games. I can say with confidence, being on FGW for 2 years (if I'm not mistaken), there has not been a week where a couple of tidbits of information would come out and people would dip in (non-regulars) and give their two cents. However, with the counter argument that a new thread can be made for news makes it more taxing, in my opinion, to make a new thread for something that isn't as big (like new costume DLC for a game) as a new character/game reveal. Now with the insularity, there isn't that opportunity for the conversation to be as diverse and open since its in community. Giving people the opportunity to casually click upon our weekly makes it less overwhelming since its a casual spot, compared to a gaming community where they might not feel they are entitled to give their opinion. I say this based off of experience IRL and online with all the threads and groups I've been meeting up with throughout these years while playing fighting games. People are terrified at times since the task of talking with a "hardcore" community makes them feel pressured to either be really good at something or not even bother in the first place due to the highly competitive vibe a community thread might give compared to a weekly thread in gaming. That's just my 2 cents on the matter, whatever happens happens, I just hope FG on GAF doesn't become a graveyard since its a hub for a lot of key members in the FGC to take many suggestions and see what they can improve on.
Reminds me, to be clear: I don't expect Bish or whoever else was in favour of the community move to have that complete picture or to be up on FGW, as to some extent that kind of stuff is irrelevant to them or their decision-making, and nor do I want to insinuate the way he replied was intentional or meaningful of some sort of greater bias, it just came off that way from what he was replying to vs. what he wasn't.

As an aside, the one annoyance I have with the move to Community is being dumped back into the Community thread index every time I leave the thread on a mobile device. Insignificant, but still.
Yeah this is a minor inconvenience that kind of sucks lol

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Reminds me, to be clear: I don't expect Bish or whoever else was in favour of the community move to have that complete picture or to be up on FGW, as to some extent that kind of stuff is irrelevant to them or their decision-making, and nor do I want to insinuate the way he replied was intentional or meaningful of some sort of greater bias, it just came off that way from what he was replying to vs. what he wasn't.

I really do hope what you just said isn't the case. It doesn't make sense if its done that way. Isn't that why we have Shouta? And even he went with the weekly model instead of community. Doing something like this, if it is the case that they aren't as informed about what happens here (and who can blame them, there is a lot to overlook with on NeoGAF as is with how its growing every day), but it would be nice if a grace period was given or even have somewhat of a notion of how important these threads are to the fighting game community leaders. Each time there was a blow up in the FGC, the people involved would personally make an account and come talk on this very thread, using the other posters as mediators. Making this decision is almost akin to downsizing a sector of a mega corporation without knowing why they are downsizing it and little did they know they are showing results on a week to week basis. If this isn't the case then I take back what I just said but if it is, I don't know how I feel, it just feels a little unfair.

Tizoc

Well I'd still keep posting vids every Monday or Tuesday
RoseUshio.jpg

GG Xrd REVELATOR matches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZe1eR8bJbk

3 Hours of Puyo Puyo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnDiMRtLQ10

90 mins. of Street Fighter Alpha/Zero 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts4QtKFo04o

BlazBlue matches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdj_-ch-X64
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaYPlVv-6dw

1 Hour of Dengeki Bunko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkTjQCH-PbU

1 Hour of Persona 4AU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrWy6A4ZQ1o

2+ Hours of Melty Blood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kixI9xaVaEI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS1rKhE3nc0

mbpm1

I missed the argument for why the move would be good for FGW. Like, yeah, having no exceptions makes future moderating of Gaming easier and less contentious, I understand, but why were FGW'ers arguing for the move?

Nobody argued for it, a mod saw it, thought it was basically just a community thread, and here we are.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Nobody argued for it, a mod saw it, thought it was basically just a community thread, and here we are.
v
What is there to say? You guys always are running off on tangents or silly shit so it's hard to justify keeping the thread in GD. I may understand the usefulness of this thread but if someone just peeks in and all it is rote jokes and shit, it's really hard to make a good case for the usefulness of the thread. Why do you think I've said a zillion times to stay on topic and cut it out?

:D

edit:
streaming sf5

Most of the time I just lurk for new fighting game news so I didn't know FGW got moved to community and a got name change. Thought this was a different thread for stream monsters when I first saw it in community lol.

I usually spend most of my GAF time in community since I follow wrestling/giant bomb/sbf/etc. so it'll be cool to see this thread more often.

rookiejet

There was a /seemingly open-minded/ invitation for an appeal in the last thread by the mod(s?) who decided the move, which some used to argue /for/ the move, lol. Read the last thread.

mbpm1

There was a /seemingly open-minded/ invitation for an appeal in the last thread by the mod(s?) who decided the move, which some used to argue /for/ the move, lol. Read the last thread.

Oh, well for that, enzo pretty much explained/recapped it.

Piccoro

Keep them coming, Tizoc.
I always loved your vids.

shaowebb

Can someone give me the lowdown on what happened with controller syncing issues at Summer Jam? Heard that MKX and SF4 finals were both screwed up.
I missed the SF4 stuff, but during MKX grand finals Sonic Fox vs Forever King took place. Forever King was in winners, SF in losers and it was a struggle for Sonic Fox running Predator vs Predator. Near the end he switched to Erron Black. It was 2 all, the first round was over in FK's favor. It was last round. The thing was clutch and as we all know Sonic Fox can and will make a full lifebar comeback from nothing and he was getting into that territory...

...and then a controller that was not desynced from the PS4 yet kicked in and it went to the menu on the most important round in the most important match of Grand Finals. It was completely interrrupted for like 5 to 10 minutes. All momentum all everything was completely disrupted. Eventually they restarted the round. Forever King won, Sonic Fox didn't reset the bracket and Forever King took a much needed win for the first time at a major. He would have likely gotten it before but it really taints the victory seeing that happen.

I've gotta say, after watching Combofiend play R.Mika, my interest level for playing SFV has gone way up.

Birdie wasn't cutting it as a potential main. I'll probably still play him 'cause he's a big body, but R.Mika looks like she's going to be a fine grappler. I don't know all she's capable of based on what I saw, but she certainly looks fine. Whenever the PC beta comes, hopefully she'll be a part of it. She'll be my main until there's a grappler I like better.

Tripon

We just gotta adjust. I or somebody else will make a weekend tournament thread when its needed.

Weeklies are fucked in this new format though.

notworksafe

Still with the care posting over the move? Nothing us changing. We'll be here for six months to a year, then we'll get shut down for being too insular. Can't wait!

El Sloth

Banned
What is there to say? You guys always are running off on tangents or silly shit so it's hard to justify keeping the thread in GD. I may understand the usefulness of this thread but if someone just peeks in and all it is rote jokes and shit, it's really hard to make a good case for the usefulness of the thread. Why do you think I've said a zillion times to stay on topic and cut it out?
I don't mean to call you out, but it's a truth that you had the power to regulate that if you so wanted to. People kept doing those things because it was understood that it's frowned upon but not punishable. I'm not saying you should have been (or should become) Fighting Game Stalin or anything, and of course I think people should be able to exhibit some self-control and regulate themselves without needing a nanny constantly tut-tuting at them. I'm also not saying, or think, that we should suddenly enter a no-fun-allowed post-apocalytpic era. However, I think we can agree that at some point maybe some amount of nannying was probably called for, yeah?

However, I think we can agree that at some point maybe some amount of nannying was probably called for, yeah?
Well the thing is there was some amount. The problem is that there wasn't enough, but as you said that gets into the problem of how much is too much. Probably could have been more though.

Beckx

So I tried the power line adapter thing this weekend too - though my main reason to do that was to get wi-fi into a remote room to be able to stream video, and that is now working fantastically. I tried it with my gaming laptop though, which is only 10 feet from the router in a straight line (wall in-between, different rooms) and the results were terrible. Went from 9ms ping, 60 down/40 up to 175ms ping, 30 down/30 up. Staying wifi there. Probably has to hop around too much or has interference on the line. Not worth sorting out.

Tried a few times to get into the SFV beta but it was down for maintenance. Then spent the day in a Ground Zeroes/Destiny vortex. RIP me.

Friend invited me over to play Alpha 3 this Sunday, and I played Karin for the first time in my life. Maaaan, she is so fun! Rekka into counter to bait Scissor Kick and win feels great.

Now I'm completely ok with her coming back to SF V.
Yeah, Karin grows on you. I hope folks give her a chance. I'd like her back over any other rekka char.

hitsugi

Last day for SFV beta. I'm pretty much done with this version of the game, but it was a (mostly) positive experience in terms of how the netcode is shaping up. Every match I had outside of the US was horrible, but that was expected.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah, SMQH was a good joke, but I also don't come here to watch streams. I usually don't watch anything outside of Evo. I watched the Bison run just because I have never seen a good Bison in SFIV.

Same here. I only watched few streams per year but I always enjoy to read most of members' opinions and discussions. I apologized that I didn't really participated enough. I'm more of lurker in this community.

Last day for SFV beta. I'm pretty much done with this version of the game, but it was a (mostly) positive experience in terms of how the netcode is shaping up. Every match I had outside of the US was horrible, but that was expected.

I thought the last day was Wednesday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom