• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hiw come none of the gulf states are taking in refugees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjohn

We keep hearing how evil Europe is for not taking in any more refugees yet everyone seems to be quiet when it comes to the rich gulf states. They're actually closer to Syria than Europe and clearly can afford to host thousands yet not a single one of them have taken in any refugees and no one seems to be talking about it.

It's not just europe's responsibility but something that should be shared worldwide. China, Russia, Israel etc haven't done anything yet big bad Europe which has already taken in thousands and doing everything to help is still being painted as evil.

Edit: how

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Because they are a bunch of extremely xenophobic, high horse riding jackasses that want fuck all to do with any kind of demograpic change that could disturb the current order in the slightest.

Also, Iraq is kind of a shitshow anyway.

Mohonky

......because the only filthy poors they want are Indians making fuck all and living in slave camps out of the way so they can have em build their opulant structures for their billionaire industry moguls. What good is a refugee? They'll just cost money and shit up the view from your gold and glass towers.

Fliesen

well, my question would be:

how many refugees actually flee to the gulf states?

I do believe when fleeing from war, refugess do care where they actually flee to
If i were to leave everything behind, risk my life, just for the hope of finding safe haven somewhere else, i sure as hell would be choosing the wealthier central / western European countries. Wouldn't you?

geardo

They're assholes. I think some of them have given money, but fuck all that does when they're shunning the people.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Most of the Syrian population live(d?) in West and North of the country. So the obvious escape routes go to Lebanon and Turkey rather than towards the other Arab states, although Jordan has its fair share of refugees.

Actually only Saudi Arabia is somehow close. Other than that one could argue that it's easier to reach Europe (even having the risk of drowning in the sea) than the other Gulf states (I assume we are taking Iraq out of discussion for obvious reasons).

And Saudi Arabia is one of the main reasons for the civil wars and ISIS existence in the region. It's like you would ask why didn't the Eastern European run to Soviet Union during the cold war.

As for why don't the Arab states do more for the refugees? Because their rulers are a bunch of authoritarian cunts who care only about themselves.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Geography. Saudi Arabia excepted, most of the stable GCC countries are a long way from Syria. It's faster to get to Bulgaria from Damascus than it is the UAE, and safer too.

Faddy

Banned
There is a huge warzone betweeen Syria and the Gulf of Arabia. The war is to the East so they have moved West.

From cities like Homs and Aleppo the road to the gulf goes through Damascus and into Iraq and the heart of the fighting, when taking refuge from a conflict you don't willingly walk towards it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Geography. Saudi Arabia excepted, most of the stable GCC countries are a long way from Syria. It's faster to get to Bulgaria from Damascus than it is the UAE, and safer too.

It explains the dynamics of the migration crisis, but not the fact that none of them have shown an ounce of charity by offering to take them in from the countries that cannot keep them. This is hardly a new occurrence.

Africanus

I mean, many of the refugees from Central America don't flee to Venezuela despite it being often closer to their home countries. Rather, they head towards the United States.

I believe a refugee of Syria would much rather take their chances with the xenophobic reactions of a place such as Hungary (Not everyone naturally) than Saudia Arabia.

Also certain countries may or may not be profiteering off this war and cannot be judged as they are already viewed in a negative light and simply do not care.

GHG

Gold Member
......because the only filthy poors they want are Indians making fuck all and living in slave camps out of the way so they can have em build their opulant structures for their billionaire industry moguls. What good is a refugee? They'll just cost money and shit up the view from your gold and glass towers.

Joke post?

Has to be a joke post.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It explains the dynamics of the migration crisis, but not the fact that none of them have shown an ounce of charity by offering to take them in from the countries that cannot keep them. This is hardly a new occurrence.

How do they actually offer, though? The overland routes literally go through a war zone, you'd have to fly any refugees in by plane from a European/Turkish airport

Yeah im kinda tired of Europe being made out to be the bad guy here. I genuinely feel sorry for Germany having to take in up to 1 million refugees as thats a big strain for any country. This is a humanitarian disaster and it shouldnt be up to just a few countries to shoulder the burden, all European cities alongside Russia, the US, China, Canada, should be made help out. These people arent coming to scrounge jobs, their fleeing for their lives, but it shouldnt be down to Germany to take them all in.

Joni

"Why don't you let them in, you discourteous people?!"
CN8WEwjVEAAS24L.jpg

(A Saudi cartoon, Source: https://twitter.com/purcellpw/status/639253944179396608/photo/1)

womfalcs3

Banned
Because their already-fragile infrastructure and social contact between governments/citizens would collapse.

norinrad

So far only Jordan and Lebanon has taking in most of the refugees and these two countries aren't exactly rich.

Why the UN is not putting any pressures of the rich gulf states baffles me.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
How do they actually offer, though? The overland routes literally go through a war zone, you'd have to fly any refugees in by plane from a European/Turkish airport

They could easily ferry them using ships if they were so inclined. It's not like they don't have the means.

Chuckie

Is the cartoon making a point that SA isn't being fair, or that the guy in SA is being sarcastic and thus their choice to have an added barb wired fence is good and you EU folks are stupid? I'm not sure which side the social commentary is on.

The first which seems (to me) obvious because the refugee is a woman in torn clothes carrying a baby. It is clear the SA is being unfair.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
They could easily ferry them using ships if they were so inclined. It's not like they don't have the means.

Honestly, at the point you're shipping hundreds of thousands of people from Antalya through Suez round past Aden and into the Gulf, you're not really making a serious suggestion. May as well send them to Morocco at that point; it's quicker and less costly. Saudi Arabia aside, it's not really practical for most GCC countries

You can look at the Mediterranean Sea on the map and think that it is a natural regional barrier but what it actually is throughout history is a more like an extremely busy road.

Because they are a bunch of extremely xenophobic, high horse riding jackasses that want fuck all to do with any kind of demograpic change that could disturb the current order in the slightest.

Also, Iraq is kind of a shitshow anyway.

Basically this. Meanwhile Turkey is taking in 2.5 million refugees. Le tthat sink in.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
What about Japan? Country is very anti-immigration!

Japan is at the other side of the world and it's culturally about as far away from the refugees. They'd have a better chance if they were to be resettled in an Arab country with the means to accept them.

Honestly, at the point you're shipping hundreds of thousands of people from Antalya through Suez round past Aden and into the Gulf, you're not really making a serious suggestion. May as well send them to Morocco at that point; it's quicker and less costly. Saudi Arabia aside, it's not really practical for most GCC countries
The smaller states couldn't accept heaps of refugees for obvious reasons, but Saudi Arabia has the means and could help to route them. Either case, nobody is talking about displacing all of them towards the region, just pointing that Saudi Arabia and others could do something else.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If we're specifically talking Saudi Arabia rather than Oman or so on, then yes, Saudi Arabia is a massive dick. That's sadly unlikely to change.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
If we're specifically talking Saudi Arabia rather than Oman or so on, then yes, Saudi Arabia is a massive dick. That's sadly unlikely to change.

Well, Oman is Oman. Nobody with a modicum of knowledge about the region would expect anything from there. It may not be Iraq, but they have their own issues.

Anyway, if Israel could pull Operation Solomon in 1991 (although Operation Yachin may be more similar in scope), Saudi Arabia and the UAE should be able to ferry a few thousands of refugees. It's not like they don't have the money.

Condom

Morocco has already accepted Syrian refugees, think about that for a second. The Gulf states' policies are laughable.

dopplr

If you ever get the chance - look up the percentage of nationals of rich gulf countries vs immigrants and maybe you'll realize why that's not an option. If we want to maintain our ways of life, we cannot afford to find shelter for all these people. However, we make up for that by donating huge amounts of money to all these countries. Please look up how much the tiny, tiny country of Kuwait donates and maybe you can get a different point of view.

xandaca

More pertinently, why isn't the United States doing anything? Considering its enormous historic responsibility culminating in the rise of ISIS (arguably second only to Saudi Arabia), and with a population density around a third of that of the UK and Germany, you've taken in fewer than 1,500 refugees since 2011 when the UK, being heavily criticised for its lack of action (and also bearing some responsibility for its part in destabilising the region), has taken in around 4.2k. The US are quick to state the need to preserve their 'national security', all the while expecting everyone else to bear the consequences of events which they played an enormous part in causing.

(I actually agree with the US government's stated belief that resettlement isn't a viable long-term solution, it's the hypocrisy I'm criticising)

dopplr

Basically this. Meanwhile Turkey is taking in 2.5 million refugees. Le tthat sink in.

From Wiki - Kuwaitis 1,403,962 33% of pop non-Kuwaitis - 2,291,354 67% of pop.

We have taken in many, many immigrants - We simply cannot house 2 million more. It's impossible due to many reasons that I won't bother going over - most of which relate to our size + current political issues. How many more officers must we employ to help police these people? Where can we magically find them? What about our hospitals? What about a million other logistical issues?

What we do provide is money - a lot of money to help all these countries. Please do your research and learn about real way of life here before you judge & hate countries you've never even researched thoroughly, let alone visited.

If you ever get the chance - look up the percentage of nationals of rich gulf countries vs immigrants and maybe you'll realize why that's not an option. If we want to maintain our ways of life, we cannot afford to find shelter for all these people. However, we make up for that by donating huge amounts of money to all these countries. Please look up how much the tiny, tiny country of Kuwait donates and maybe you can get a different point of view.

These people are looking for places to settle and live normal lives they don't really want to be kept in concentration camps. But countries that have a lot of spare capacity for new people are kind of rare I guess. Germany, Japan and China are known for having demographic problems with missing younger generations.

dopplr

These people are looking for places to settle and live normal lives they don't really want to be kept in concentration camps.

That is my point - we do not have that in our small gulf countries. We currently have huge amounts of issues employing our own citizens, let alone finding work for hundreds of thousands of refugees.

Nyx

Don't know really, but please note that the current amount of refugees entering Europe amounts to 0.027% of the entire European population.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Morocco has already accepted Syrian refugees, think about that for a second. The Gulf states' policies are laughable.

It's not that surprising. It's easier to get to Morocco as a refugee than it is the UAE. The Mediterranean is not a meaningful barrier, a warzone that peters out into inhospitable desert is. Kuwait is in literally no state to take in refugees, iirc it has the highest proportion of non-citizens as a proportion of its population in the world. Bahrain, the UAE and Qatar are not far behind. Oman's domestic problems are pretty sizeable. Really, you're just left with Saudi Arabia in terms of 'countries that could play a role but don't'.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Because most of the middle east doesn't give a shit about their arab "brothers". It's the same reason why they expect the west to intervene in the middle east while keeping their hands clean.

Lived in Dubai, and now Lebanon, and it's truly disgusting. Fuck this excuse of a region.

dopplr

Because most of the middle east doesn't give a shit about their arab "brothers". It's the same reason why they expect the west to intervene in the middle east while keeping their hands clean.

Lived in Dubai, and now Lebanon, and it's truly disgusting. Fuck this excuse of a region.

Yeah, absolutely - that's why my country and others in the region donate billions - because we don't care.

That's why my country of Kuwait donated 500 million USD for you guys during hurricane Katrina. Please, grow up and open your mind.

This sounds like an contributing factor from what I know about the UAE. If I were a refugee that would be among the last places I'd want to go. They have a disgusting lack of human rights and their treatment of migrant workers is commonly referred to as modern-day slavery.

dopplr

AAK

COASUlPWsAAMwUv.png

UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait, and ESPECIALLY Saudi Arabia can all afford to take care of a large number of refugees if anything for the sake of humanity.

The fact they don't speaks volumes about their governance and this pic basically says it all:

CN8Y_lGVAAEzkeF.jpg

The tombstone says "The Arab Conscience"

EDIT: And to give a scale of how much their help is needed:

COCZQbYUkAAWleO.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom