• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Fifth Generation Awards

AniHawk

DVoDBmi.png

f1cWgxM.png

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64)
But as staggering in its ambition and immaculate it is in its polish, perhaps the greatest thing about Ocarina of Time is that it is expertly paced, which is something later games in the series failed to live up to. Ocarina of Time introduced or pioneered some massive concepts gamers take for granted nowadays, ranging from Z-Targeting to Auto-Jumping to context-sensitive buttons... but it still gets the player straight into the fun. When your first hour with the game has ended, you're walking out of the first dungeon, having felled your first boss, and having learned a ton of game mechanics on the way without it ever feeling like a giant tutorial holding your hand. Any game designer should play this game. It's a masterpiece.
One of the most influential game of all times. Nintendo layed the foundation for many 3D games to come and invented mechanics that are still used to this day. It nailed the sense of adventure with different and lively towns with lots of busy characters and had just the right pace with its dungeons constantly giving new tools to the player and having him figure out how to proceed, but never making it a chore and overstaying its welcome. Musical score was one of the Koji Kondo's best works and full of amazing melodies that are considered iconic now and make gamers drool just by listening to few notes.
At the time I’d played nothing quite like it, the sense of adventure and scope blew away anything I’d played prior, that barren Hyrule Field that would be considered a knock against the game these days was something to behold for me back in the day. The clutch of nostalgia may be strong but OoT endures because it’s simply one of the very best games to this day, even among numerous sequels that have brushed up on the Zelda formula in 3D OoT still commands the throne on the strength of its pacing and variety that sidesteps the pitfalls future entries would fall into.

To this day I still get a buzz from experiencing the same moments that I’ve replayed well into the double digits, it’s my video game equivalent of returning home, it’s the game where comfort is king.

PlkuBxg.png

2. Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64)
The template for 3D controls. A software breakthrough.
Looking back on it, the iconic Italian plumber's debut in three dimensions was a real tipping-point for the video games industry. It established all of the ground rules for interacting with and moving around in 3D space, and almost single-handedly paved the way for what was to come over the course of the generation. But imagine if they had failed? How would things have played out if Nintendo wasn't successful in bringing Mario to a new generation in the same way Capcom and Sega have struggled to bring their iconic 8- and 16-bit franchises to 3D? Thankfully, they hit it out of the park on their first attempt, and the rest is history.

DSYCSPc.png

3. Metal Gear Solid (PlayStation)
first experience with cinematic gaming, memorable set of characters who were all voiced, great soundtrack, intriguing story full of mystery that wasn't too convoluted like the sequels, crazy boss fights, all presented with interesting dialogue/codec calls and amazing cutscenes. It's the first game where the cinematography is movie-like. There wasn't anything like this back then.
This game absolutely blew me away when I played it. Cinematic, engrossing, engaging, and a delight to play. My first stealth game, I got so absorbed in the story that I ended up replaying it and showing people the game for years.

ICO6Pm7.png

4. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Nintendo 64)
This experimental ‘Groundhog Day’ twist on the 90’s Zelda template resulted in an unforgettable masterpiece of a game. Intricate, challenging and disturbing
It's a dark twisted fairy tale with more character and life to it than pretty much any other game in existence, taking a mature, narrative driven exploration of life, death and how people give it all meaning, and combining it all with a far more polished and improved take on OoT's gameplay and set up.

5zLLA8Z.png

5. Final Fantasy VII (PC, PlayStation)
It's just an unforgettable, iconic game in all facets, from its cast and its setting, to its soundtrack and Materia system. It's able to switch its tone between goofy humour and heartfelt tragedy on the fly and not take me out of the experience. The random battle encounters aren't problematic because the combat is always a joy to play. The pre-rendered environments give every location a sense of vivid place and character, extending even to the dungeons, which in many other RPGs are can be a chore to progress through but not this one. Its story progression and exploration are open without being unfocused, tight without being linear, and it captures a genuine sense of adventure that no other game can lay claim to. A masterpiece through and through.
There's humour, there's a cool setting, there's tons of awesome things to collect and materia to level up. And don't even get me started on the Gold Saucer. Plus once again as all games on this list share, it has a killer soundtrack.

jIT5Npu.png

6. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Saturn, PlayStation)
2D platforming perfection combined with some of the greatest art direction and level design ever in a videogame.
sörine;176565689 said:
Not Metroid, not really Castlevania either, but somehow more addicting than both.

HtWZAhk.png

7. Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal (Game Boy/Color)
The literal golden age of the series.
Day/Night. Weekly events. Breeding, New types. 100+ new Pokemon. Johto and Kanto. How the fuck did they fit this all in one cartridge?

LeNn8CA.png

8. Resident Evil 2 (PC, PlayStation, Nintendo 64, Game.com)
Atmospheric, puzzles, limited ammo, cool bosses, good balance of action and scary.
The pinnacle of the survival horror genre. Production values were through the roof and the game could be experienced from the perspective of 2 different characters. You were left wondering if it would ever get better than this.

z3L4Zmv.png

9. Final Fantasy IX (PlayStation)
My absolute favorite game of all time. Final Fantasy IX is very dear to me. It was given to me by unconventional means and ended up becoming the game that made me so interested in video games in the first place. Final Fantasy IX showed me what video games can provide beyond gameplay and it made an impact on my life, that I'm not even sure what I would be doing right now if I never played it. Final Fantasy IX is the reason why I want to own a game company, it was the reason I took up writing, it was the reason I took up drawing, and it was reason why I am into music as much as I am. I owe a lot to this game. This game has been duly noted from both Hironobu Sakaguchi and Nobuo Uematsu as their favorite entry in the franchise and frankly it's mines as well.
Like playing a fairytale. Amazing soundtrack, amazing characters, amazing atmosphere and amazing art direction that still holds up today.

gxiGKF6.png

10. Banjo-Kazooie (Nintendo 64)
This was Rare at their best.
Pure platforming fun. Interesting levels, lots of collectibles, lighthearted humor, and a great OST.

eaSa5R5.png

11. GoldenEye 007 (Nintendo 64)
To date I can't think of a better adaptation of a movie into a video game than this. The single player missions were fantastic in depth and re-playability. From the moment you pop your head around the corner to shoot the first guard in the Arkangelsk Dam, through to the final showdown with 006 on the Cradle - the Goldeneye missions were full of challenging segments that captured the essence of Bond from the ridiculous vehicles, stealthy infiltration and guns blazing action. Plenty of unlockables and bonus levels kept you coming back for more.

oiiXGTE.png

12. Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/Yellow (Game Boy/Color)
It's Pokemon. The hype, the desire to be a Pokemon master, looking for Mew under the truck, trading with friends, the journey to Indigo Plateu. It gave me that sense of adventure I never had experienced before.

C09dbgR.png

13. Half-Life (PC)
The first cinematic FPS. Amazing level design, smart AI, excellent world building. A classic.

5QNUDlD.png

14. Paper Mario (Nintendo 64)
What a cool idea. What awesome execution. And that writing, sense of humour.

odRhcoZ.png

15. Suikoden II (PlayStation)
One word sums up this game: Incredible. The world and lore are incredible. The personal story is incredible. The epic stage the game is set on is incredible. The cast is incredible. And the villain is incredible.

GSOgidB.png

16. Final Fantasy Tactics (PlayStation)
A world full of medieval war and politics, what's not to love? The game mixes fantasy and realism perfectly with a deep story about betrayal and corruption. The Job system combined with Tactic's Tactical battle system leaves you addicted and playing non-stop. The music in this game is also incredibly gorgeous with each track capturing the atmosphere of Ivalice. The cast of characters are mature and complex supported by a story that has tragedy and justice blurred constantly. This is an amazing game and not one anyone should skip over.

Uh5VPrJ.png

17. Final Fantasy VIII (PlayStation)
A big step forward from its predecessor with its more realistic visual style and futuristic elements. The Junction system was versatile, and Balamb Garden a memorable homebase. Still my favorite in the series.

cHABL6Z.png

18. Mario Kart 64 (Nintendo 64)
Unfiltered fun, a complete blast to play with friends especially.

gvzzv4m.png

19. Star Fox 64 (Nintendo 64)
The amount of variety, enemies and bosses was just insane. Then I learned there was two other paths I could take and an expert mode (I managed to get gold stars on all of them) it just blew me away. It's basically Saturday Morning Cartoon: The Video Game but as a rail shooter which favours skill and offers brilliant boss battles.

8ih0WOn.png

20. Silent Hill (PlayStation)
One of the scariest games ever made.

LLn6VmC.png

21. Super Smash Bros. (Nintendo 64)
The third and final of the holy trinity of multiplayer games, Smash Bros became a phenomenon. Others may disagree, but we all know Link and Samus were the best, and Hyrule Castle was the ultimate stage.

DTi0vfe.png

22. Tekken 3 (Arcade, PlayStation)
Probably the best 3D fighting game up to the PS1 and just looked so flashy. Again, great multiplayer memories and the fighting mechanins worked really well. A fun set of characters.

mzbfozF.png

23. Starcraft (PC, Nintendo 64)
Probably the best RTS game ever. Great single player, great story, and Battle.net revolutionized multiplayer.

wboDY8g.png

24. Planescape: Torment (PC)
The way it implemented choice and consequence was ground breaking and it would take more than 10 years to see it replicated. It feels like an alive world (ironically) where whatever you do makes a difference and substantially changes the way the game is played. You actually role-play in this game. Add the vast amount of interesting characters and companions, each with a deep personality, personal story and agenda, the godlike script, dialogue and lore and you get one of the best games ever made and, for me, the best RPG ever made.

FJFoTaM.png

25. Panzer Dragoon Saga (Saturn)
That game is a work of art. There was a time where "cinematic, story-driven, cut-scene heavy game" was NOT a red flag but a strong selling point for me, and that's because of Panzer Dragoon Saga. It is very cut scene heavy, and the Saturn CG looks a bit dated now, yet somehow the quality of those scenes remain timeless due to the excellent direction, voice acting and writing. But it's not just the story and lore and world-building that makes this game so good; the battle system and dragon customization and exploration were tons of fun. I would love to see a proper HD remake so I could explore towns like Zoah or other areas and fight the bizarre tech monstrosities in fully detailed high-res 3D one day. Not to mention, the rarity of this game means so few people actually played it, and that's a criminal shame.

AniHawk

Genre Awards

tHV7J1t.png

Action
1. NiGHTS Into Dreams… (Saturn)
2. Twisted Metal 2 (PlayStation)
3. Blast Corps (Nintendo 64)
4. Twisted Metal (PlayStation)
5. Burning Rangers (Saturn)
6. Gauntlet Legends (Arcade, PlayStation, Nintendo 64)
7. Liero (PC)
7. Mega Man Xtreme 2 (Game Boy/Color)
9. Mega Man X4 (PlayStation)
10. Silent Bomber (PlayStation)

5EWK5Pa.png

Action-Adventure
1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64)
2. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Nintendo 64)
3. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Saturn, PlayStation)
4. Tomb Raider (PC, Saturn, PlayStation)
5. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (Game Boy/Color)
6. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (PC, PlayStation)
7. Mega Man Legends (Nintendo 64, PlayStation)
8. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (Game Boy/Color)
9. Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (PC, PlayStation)
10. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Game Boy/Color)

Mp8LZkb.png

Adventure
1. Grim Fandango (PC)
2. Curse of Monkey Island (PC)
3. Star Control II (3DO)
4. Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars (PC, PlayStation)
5. Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror (PC, PlayStation)
6. Phantasmagoria (PC, Saturn)
7. The Longest Journey (PC)
8. Full Throttle (PC)
9. Toonstruck (PC)
10. Riven: The Sequel to Myst (PC, Saturn, PlayStation)
10. The Last Express (PC)
10. The Neverhood (PC, PlayStation)

DL5bNrL.png

Fighting
1. Super Smash Bros. (Nintendo 64)
2. Tekken 3 (Arcade, PC)
3. Virtua Fighter 2 (Arcade, PC, Saturn)
4. WWF No Mercy (Nintendo 64)
5. Super Street Fighter II Turbo (Arcade, PC, Amiga CD32, 3DO, Saturn, PlayStation)
6. Bushido Blade (PlayStation)
6. Street Fighter III: Third-Strike (Arcade)
8. X-men vs. Street Fighter (Arcade, Saturn, PlayStation)
9. Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Arcade, Saturn, PlayStation)
10. WCW vs. nWo Revenge (Nintendo 64)

6zecsvm.png

FPS
1. GoldenEye 007 (Nintendo 64)
2. Half-Life (PC)
3. Perfect Dark (Nintendo 64)
4. Unreal Tournament (PC)
5. Quake III Arena (PC)
6. Counter-Strike (PC)
7. Quake (PC, PlayStation, Nintendo 64)
8. Quake II (PC, PlayStation, Nintendo 64)
9. Doom II: Hell on Earth (PC)
10. Marathon: Infinity (PC)

l5AxaFA.png

Horror
1. Resident Evil 2 (PC, PlayStation, Nintendo 64, Game.com)
2. Silent Hill (PlayStation)
3. Resident Evil (PC, Saturn, PlayStation)
4. Resident Evil 3 (PlayStation)
5. System Shock 2 (PC)
6. Dino Crisis (PlayStation)
7. System Shock (PC)
8. Ecstatica (PC)
9. Bad Mojo (PC)
10. Dino Crisis 2 (PlayStation)

BIJ3yxY.png

Party
1. Mario Party (Nintendo 64)
1. Mario Party 2 (Nintendo 64)
3. Crash Bash (PlayStation)
3. Mario Party 3 (Nintendo 64)
5. Bishi Bashi Special (PlayStation)
6. Rugrats: Scavenger Hunt (Nintendo 64)

JegwgSa.png

Platforming
1. Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64)
2. Banjo-Kazooie (Nintendo 64)
3. Crash Bandicoot 2 (PlayStation)
4. Conker's Bad Fur Day (Nintendo 64)
5. Crash Bandicoot: Warped (PlayStation)
6. Spyro the Dragon (PlayStation)
7. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PlayStation)
8. Ape Escape (PlayStation)
9. Banjo-Tooie (Nintendo 64)
10. Rayman 2: The Great Escape (PC, PlayStation, Nintendo 64)

YJQriDv.png

Puzzle
1. Pokemon Puzzle League (Nintendo 64)
2. intelligent Qube (PlayStation)
2. Tetris: The Grand Master (Arcade)
4. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (Arcade, PlayStation)
4. Puzzle Bobble (Arcade, 3DO, Neo Geo CD)
5. Bubble Memories (Arcade)
5. Hexcite (Game Boy/Color)
5. Pokemon Puzzle Challenge (Game Boy/Color)
5. Mole Mania (Game Boy/Color)
5. Tetrisphere (Nintendo 64)
5. Puzzle Bobble 4 (Arcade, PlayStation, Game Boy/Color)
5. Mr. Driller (Arcade, PlayStation, Game Boy/Color)

EXWJ3s1.png

Racing
1. Mario Kart 64 (Nintendo 64)
2. Crash Team Racing (PlayStation)
3. Diddy Kong Racing (Nintendo 64)
4. Gran Turismo 2 (PlayStation)
5. Wave Race 64 (Nintendo 64)
6. WipEout 2097 (PC, Amiga CD32, Saturn, PlayStation)
7. Gran Turismo (PlayStation)
8. SEGA Rally (Arcade, PC, Saturn)
9. F-Zero X (Nintendo 64)
10. Wip3out (PlayStation)

VOTso1w.png

Rhythm
1. Parappa the Rappa (PlayStation)
2. UmJammer Lammy (Arcade, PlayStation)
3. Bust-a-Groove 2 (PlayStation)
4. Dance Dance Revolution (Arcade, PlayStation)
4. Dance Dance Revolution Konamix (Arcade, PlayStation)

LbDkNCY.png

RPG
1. Final Fantasy VII (PC, PlayStation)
2. Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal (Game Boy/Color)
3. Final Fantasy IX (PlayStation)
4. Pokemon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow (Game Boy/Color)
5. Paper Mario (Nintendo 64)
6. Suikoden II (PlayStation)
7. Final Fantasy Tactics (PlayStation)
8. Final Fantasy VIII (PlayStation)
9. Planescape: Torment (PC)
10. Panzer Dragoon Saga (Saturn)

R2YAk7P.png

Shooter
1. Star Fox 64 (Nintendo 64)
2. Sin & Punishment: Successor to Earth (Nintendo 64)
3. Panzer Dragoon II Zwei (Saturn)
4. Radiant Silvergun (Arcade, Saturn)
5. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (PC, Nintendo 64)
6. Battle Garegga (Arcade, Saturn)
7. DoDonPachi (Arcade, Saturn, PlayStation)
8. Metal Slug (Arcade, PlayStation)
9. Armed Police Batrider (Arcade, Neo Geo CD, Saturn, PlayStation)

G9BYrAY.png

Sim
1. TIE Fighter (PC)
2. Rollercoaster Tycoon (PC)
3. Freespace 2 (PC)
4. MechWarrior 2 (PC)
5. Harvest Moon 64 (Nintendo 64)
6. SimTower (PC, 3DO, Saturn, PlayStation)
6. X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter (PC)
6. Theme Hospital (PC, PlayStation)
9. Descent Freespace: The Great War (PC)
10. Colony Wars: Vengeance (PC)

7mLw1JK.png

Sports
1. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (PlayStation, Nintendo 64)
2. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (PlayStation, Nintendo 64)
3. Mario Tennis 64 (Nintendo 64)
4. ISS Pro 98 (PlayStation)
5. Mario Golf (Game Boy/Color)
6. ISS Pro Evolution (PlayStation)
6. FIFA 99 (PC, PlayStation, Nintendo 64)
6. NHL 99 (PC, PlayStation, Nintendo 64)
9. NFL Blitz (Arcade, PlayStation, Nintendo 64)
10. Windjammers (Arcade, Neo Geo CD)
10. LIbero Grande (Arcade, PlayStation)
10. NBA Hangtime (Arcade, PlayStation, Nintendo 64)
10. Jonah Lomu Rugby (PC, Saturn, PlayStation)
10. Athlete Kings (Arcade, Saturn)
10. Space Squash (Virtual Boy)

RC0Se05.png

Stealth
1. Metal Gear Solid (PlayStation)
2. Thief: The Dark Project (PC)
3. Sheep Raider (PlayStation)
4. Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (Game Boy/Color)
5. Tenchu 2 (PlayStation)
6. Tenchu Stealth Assassins (PlayStation)

LmwfXCv.png

Strategy
1. Starcraft (PC, Nintendo 64)
2. Age of Empires II: Age of Kings (PC)
3. Command and Conquer: Red Alert (PC, PlayStation)
4. Sid Meier's Civilization II (PlayStation, PC)
5. X-COM: UFO Defense (PC, Amiga CD32, Playstation)
6. Diablo (PC, PlayStation)
7. Heroes of Might and Magic III (PC)
8. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (PC)
9. The Settlers II: Veni, Vedi, Vici (PC)
10. Age of Empires (PC)

AniHawk

Platform Awards

aEJe0xN.png

Mult-Platform
1. Final Fantasy VII (PC, PlayStation)
2. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Saturn, PlayStation)
3. Resident Evil 2 (PC, PlayStation, Nintendo 64, Game.com)
4. Tekken 3 (Arcade, PlayStation)
5. Starcraft (PC, Nintendo 64)
6. Resident Evil (PC, Saturn, PlayStation)
7. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (PlayStation, Nintendo 64)
8. Tomb Raider (PC, Saturn, PlayStation)
9. Command & Conquer: Red Alert (PC, PlayStation)
10. Sid Meier's Civilization II (PC, PlayStation)

LiDDk4x.png

Arcade
1. Street Fighter III: Third-Strike
2. Armed Police Batrider
2. Garou Mark of the Wolves
2. Tekken Tag Tournament
5. Crazy Taxi
5. Dangun Feveron
5. Time Crisis II
8. Star Wars Trilogy Arcade
8. Tetris: The Grand Master
8. The Ocean Hunter

EKWJs4S.png

PC
1. Half-Life
2. Planescape: Torment
3. Grim Fandango
4. Age of Empires II: Age of Kings
5. Unreal Tournament
6. System Shock 2
7. Fallout 2
8. Baldur's Gate
8. Quake III Arena
10. Counter-Strike

U0vsPcf.png

3DO
1. Star Control II

l4vfwPP.png

Neo Geo CD
1. Last Resort

ZUJjIvh.png

Saturn
1. Panzer Dragoon Saga
2. NiGHTS Into Dreams...
3. Shining Force III
4. Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
5. Guardian Heroes
6. Sega Ages: Outrun
7. Legend of Oasis
8. Burning Rangers
9. DragonForce
9. Saturn Bomberman

aqvNyWq.png

PlayStation
1. Metal Gear Solid
2. Final Fantasy IX
3. Suikoden II
4. FInal Fantasy Tactics
5. Final Fantasy VIII
6. Silent Hill
7. Crash Bandicoot 2
8. Xenogears
9. Crash Team Racing
10. Gran Turismo 2

lyNkaWa.png

PC-FX
1. Kishin Douji Zenki FX: Vajra Fight

aVY9yZW.png

Nintendo 64
1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. Super Mario 64
3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
4. Banjo-Kazooie
5. GoldenEye 007
6. Paper Mario
7. Mario Kart 64
8. Star Fox 64
9. Super Smash Bros.
10. Perfect Dark

CdZ1tUO.png

Game Boy/Color
1. Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
2. Pokemon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow
3. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
4. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
5. Pokemon Trading Card Game
6. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
7. Wario Land 3
8. Wario Land 2
9. Dragon Quest Monsters
10. Super Mario Bros. DX

6eDl3lp.png

Virtual Boy
1. Wario Land
2. Space Squash

xI1eIs9.png

Neo Geo Pocket/Color
1. SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighters Clash 2
2. SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Milennium
3. Dark Arms
3. Metal Slug: First Mission
3. Sonic Pocket Adventure

AniHawk

Bonus Awards

Best Generation Exclusives (Games that have never been ported or remade from or to platforms in any other generation)
1. Starcraft (PC, Nintendo 64)
2. Planescape: Torment (PC)
3. Panzer Dragoon Saga (Saturn)
4. System Shock 2 (PC)
5. Fallout 2 (PC)
6. Sid Meier's Civilization II (PC, PlayStation)
7. WipEout 2097 (PC, Amiga CD32, Saturn, PlayStation)
8. X-COM: UFO Defense (PC, Amiga CD32, PlayStation)
9. Diablo (PC, PlayStation)
10. Shining Force III (Saturn)

Best New IPs (First entry to a new franchise that began in this generation)
1. Banjo-Kazooie (Nintendo 64)
2. Pokemon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow (Game Boy)
3. Half-Life (PC)
4. Silent Hill (PlayStation)
5. Starcraft (PC)
6. Super Smash Bros. (Nintendo 64)
7. Grim Fandango (PC)
8. Xenogears (PlayStation)
9. Perfect Dark (Nintendo 64)
10. Resident Evil (PC, Saturn, PlayStation)

Passion Award (Top games ranked by most #1 votes)
1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 34
2. Super Mario 64 - 20
3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - 18
4. Metal Gear Solid - 9
5. Final Fantasy VII - 6
6. Suikoden II - 6
7. Resident Evil 2 - 5
8. Half-Life - 5
9. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - 4
11. Pokemon Gen II - 4
12. Final Fantasy IX - 3
13. Banjo-Kazooie - 4
14. GoldenEye 007 - 4
15. Panzer Dragoon Saga - 4
16. Paper Mario - 3
17. Final Fantasy Tactics - 2
18. Final Fantasy VIII - 2
19. Star Fox 64 - 2
20. Silent Hill - 2
21. Starcraft - 2
22. Planescape: Torment - 2
23. Crash Bandicoot 2 - 2
24. Xenogears - 2
25. Diddy Kong Racing - 2

Most Supportive Fanbase (Games with at least 3 #1s, ordered by percentage of #1 scores out of total score)
1. Panzer Dragoon Saga - 51.61%
2. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - 47.06%
3. Suikoden - 45.28%
4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 41.98%
5. Super Mario 64 - 33.06%
6. Half-Life - 30.77%
7. Resident Evil 2 - 21.98%
8. GoldenEye 007 - 21.62%
9. Paper Mario - 20.34%
10. Banjo-Kazooie - 20.00%

Lonely Hearts Award (Top-rated games without a #1 vote)
1. Mario Kart 64 (Nintendo 64)
2. Super Smash Bros. (Nintendo 64)
3. Tekken 3 (PlayStation, Arcade)
4. Crash Team Racing (PlayStation)
5. Resident Evil (PC, PlayStation, Saturn)
6. Gran Turismo 2 (PlayStation)
7. Chrono Cross (PlayStation)
8. Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings (PC)
9. Wave Race 64 (Nintendo 64)
10. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (PlayStation, Nintendo 64)

Top Franchises (series with at least two separate games (not including same-gen upgrades/remakes))
1. The Legend of Zelda - 503, 33 Honorable Mentions
2. Final Fantasy - 310, 43 Honorable Mentions
3. Super Mario - 245, 17 Honorable Mentions
4. Metal Gear - 199, 21 Honorable Mentions
5. Pokemon - 164, 18 Honorable Mentions
6. Resident Evil - 136, 27 Honorable Mentions
7. Castlevania - 108, 10 Honorable Mentions
8. Banjo-Kazooie - 91, 8 Honorable Mentions
9. Suikoden - 57, 8 Honorable Mentions
10. Crash Bandicoot - 54, 20 Honorable Mentions
11. Tekken - 39, 12 Honorable Mentions
12. Panzer Dragoon - 38, 12 Honorable Mentions
13. Gran Turismo - 34, 7 Honorable Mentions
14. Quake - 30, 7 Honorable Mentions
15. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - 27, 6 Honorable Mentions
16. Age of Empires - 26, 10 Honorable Mentions
17. Spyro the Dragon - 25, 10 Honorable Mentions
17. Tomb Raider - 25, 10 Honorable Mentions
19. NiGHTS - 25, 8 Honorable Mentions
20. WipEout - 23, 7 Honorable Mentions

Top Publishers
1. Nintendo - 1337, 194 Honorable Mentions
2. Konami - 430, 60 Honorable Mentions
3. Square - 414, 79 Honorable Mentions
4. Capcom - 218, 69 Honorable Mentions
5. Sony - 178, 64 Honorable Mentions
6. SEGA 129, 53 Honorable Mentions
7. Sierra - 84, 14 Honorable Mentions
8. Interplay - 63, 20 Honorable Mentions
9. Activision - 63, 19 Honorable Mentions
10. LucasArts - 59, 24 Honorable Mentions
11. Eidos - 59, 19 Honorable Mentions
12. Namco - 58, 30 Honorable Mentions
13. Blizzard - 58, 10 Honorable Mentions
14. Rare - 50, 18 Honorable Mentions
15. Electronic Arts - 42, 18 Honorable Mentions
16. GT Interactive - 42, 14 Honorable Mentions
17. Enix - 42, 12 Honorable Mentions
18. MicroProse - 38, 5 Honorable Mentions
19. Psygnosis - 31, 12 Honorable Mentions
20. Virgin Interactive - 31, 11 Honorable Mentions

Best Platform (including multiplatform)
1. PlayStation - 1639, 460 Honorable Mentions
2. Nintendo 64 - 1474, 244 Honorable Mentions
3. PC - 942 263 Honorable Mentions
4. Saturn - 386, 156 Honorable Mentions
5. Game Boy/Color - 240, 70 Honorable Mentions
6. Arcade - 141, 96 Honorable Mentions
7. Game.com - 97, 15 Honorable Mentions
8. Amiga CD32 - 47, 6 Honorable Mentions
9. 3DO - 16, 7 Honorable Mentions
10. Jaguar - 6, 7 Honorable Mentions
11. Virtual Boy - 2, 4 Honorable Mentions
12. FM Towns Marty - 2
13. Neo Geo Pocket/Color - 1, 9 Honorable Mentions
14. Neo Geo CD - 0, 12 Honorable Mentions
15. PC-FX - 1 Honorable Mention

Best Platform (exclusives only)
1. Nintendo 64 - 1251, 182 Honorable Mentions
2. PlayStation - 938, 247 Honorable Mentions
3. PC - 402, 115 Honorable Mentions
4. Game Boy/Color - 227, 55 Honorable Mentions
5. Saturn - 88, 36 Honorable Mentions
6. Arcade - 17, 14 Honorable Mentions
7. 3DO - 5
8. Virtual Boy - 2, 4 Honorable Mentions
9. Neo Geo Pocket/Color - 1, 5 Honorable Mentions
10. Neo Geo CD - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
10. PC-FX - 0, 1 Honorable Mention

AniHawk

Ballots Counted: 192
Games Listed: 495
Points Awarded: 3727
Honorable Mentions: 917
Points Per List: 19.41 (out of a possible 20)
Honorable Mentions Per List: 4.78

The List
1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 324, 8 Honorable Mentions
2. Super Mario 64 - 242, 16 Honorable Mentions
3. Metal Gear Solid - 197, 18 Honorable Mentions
4. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - 153, 10 Honorable Mentions
5. Final Fantasy VII - 138, 7 Honorable Maentions
6. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - 107, 9 Honorable Mentions
7. Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal - 92, 8 Honorable Mentions
8. Resident Evil 2 - 91, 9 Honorable Mentions
9. Final Fantasy IX - 81, 13 Honorable Mentions
10. Banjo-Kazooie - 80, 4 Honorable Mentions
11. GoldenEye 007 - 74, 8 Honorable Mentions
12. Pokemon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow - 72, 10 Honorable Mentions
13. Half-Life - 65, 11 Honorable Mentions
14. Paper Mario - 59, 8 Honorable Mentions
15. Suikoden II - 53, 4 Honorable Mentions
16. Final Fantasy Tactics - 47, 10 Honorable Mentions
17. Final Fantasy VIII - 44, 12 Honorable Mentions
18. Mario Kart 64 - 41, 11 Honorable Mentions
19. Star Fox 64 - 40, 14 Honorable Mentions
20. Silent Hill - 39, 9 Honorable Mentions
21. Super Smash Bros. - 36, 7 Honorable Mentions
22. Tekken 3 - 35, 10 Honorable Mentions
23. Starcraft - 33, 3 Honorable Mentions
24. Planescape: Torment - 32, 6 Honorable Mentions
25. Panzer Dragoon Saga - 31, 4 Honorable Mentions
26. Grim Fandango - 28, 3 Honorable Mentions
27. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back - 27, 9 Honorable Mentions
28. Xenogears - 27, 8 Honorable Mentions
29. Perfect Dark - 26, 8 Honorable Mentions
30. Crash Team Racing - 26, 5 Honorable Mentions
31. Diddy Kong Racing - 25, 10 Honorable Mentions
32. Resident Evil - 25, 10 Honorable Mentions
33. NiGHTS Into Dreams... - 25, 7 Honorable Mentions
34. Gran Turismo 2 - 25, 3 Honorable Mentions
35. Conker's Bad Fur Day - 24, 7 Honorable Mentions
36. Chrono Cross - 23, 5 Honorable Mentions
37. Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings - 22, 7 Honorable Mentions
38. Wave Race 64 - 22, 5 Honorable Mentions
39. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - 21, 5 Honorable Mentions
40. Resident Evil 3 - 20, 8 Honorable Mentions
41. Unreal Tournament - 20, 4 Honorable Mentions
42. Crash Bandicoot: Warped - 19, 6 Honorable Mentions
42. Tomb Raider - 19, 6 Honorable Mentions
44. System Shock 2 - 19, 5 Honorable Mentions
44. Vagrant Story - 19, 5 Honorable Mentions
46. Fallout 2 - 17, 5 Honorable Mentions
47. Command and Conquer: Red Alert - 17, 4 Honorable Mentions
48. Sid Meier's Civilization II - 17, 2 Honorable Mentions
49. WipEout 2097 - 15, 2 Honorable Mentions
50. Parasite Eve - 15, 1 Honorable Mention
51. Virtua Fighter 2 - 14, 3 Honorable Mentions
52. Spyro the Dragon - 13, 4 Honorable Mentions
53. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX - 13, 3 Honorable Mentions
54. Star Ocean: The Second Story - 13, 2 Honorable Mentions
55. X-COM: UFO Defense - 13
56. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile - 12, 6 Honorable Mentions
57.. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - 12, 4 Honorable Mentions
58. Valkyrie Profile - 12, 2 Honorable Mentions
59. Baldur's Gate - 12, 2 Honorable Mentions
59. Quake III Arena - 12, 2 Honorable Mentions
61. Ape Escape - 12, 1 Honorable Mention
61. Counter-Srike - 12, 1 Honorable Mention
63. Banjo-Tooie - 11, 4 Honorable Mentions
64. Diablo - 11, 3 Honorable Mentions
65. Dragon Quest VII - 10, 6 Honorable Mentions
66. Mega Man Legends - 10, 4 Honorable Mentions
67. Shining Force III - 10, 3 Honorable Mentions
68. Breath of Fire IV - 10, 2 Honorable Mentions
69. WWF No Mercy - 10, 1 Honorable Mention
70. Grandia - 9, 8 Honorable Mentions
71. Gran Turismo - 9, 4 Honorable Mentions
71. Quake - 9, 4 Honorable Mentions
73. Heroes of Might and Magic III - 9, 3 Honorable Mentions
74. Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber - 9, 2 Honorable Mentions
75. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - 9, 2 Honorable Mentions
75. Thief: The Dark Project - 9, 2 Honorable Mentions
75. SEGA Rally - 9, 2 Honorable Mentions
78. Quake II - 9, 1 Honorable Mention
79. F-Zero X - 8, 7 Honorable Mentions
80. Rayman 2: The Great Escape - 8, 6 Honorable Mentions
81. Crash Bandicoot - 8, 5 Honorable Mentions
82. TIE Fighter - 8, 2 Honorable Mentions
82. Wip3out - 8, 2 Honorable Mentions
84. Sin & Punishment: Successor to Earth - 8, 2 Honorable Mentions
85. Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus - 8, 1 Honorable Mention
86. Dino Crisis - 8, 1 Honorable Mention
86. Doom II: Hell on Earth - 8, 1 Honorable Mention
88. Super Street Fighter II Turbo - 8
89. Twisted Metal 2 - 8
90. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages - 7, 6 Honorable Mentions
91. Panzer Dragoon II Zwei - 7, 5 Honorable Mentions
92. Mischief Makers - 7, 4 Honorable Mentions
93. Digimon World - 7, 2 Honorable Mentions
94. Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain - 7, 1 Honorable Mention
95. Jazz Jackrabbit - 7
96. Pokemon Trading Card Game - 7
97. Curse of Monkey Island - 6, 7 Honorable Mentions
98. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons - 6, 6 Honorable Mentions
99. Radiant Silvergun - 6, 4 Honorable Mentions
100. Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage - 6, 3 Honorable Mentions
100. Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon - 6, 3 Honorable Mentions
102. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - 6, 1 Honorable Mention
102. The Settlers II: Veni, Vedi, Vici - 6, 1 Honorable Mention
102. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron - 6, 1 Honorable Mention
102. Rollercoaster Tycoon - 6, 1 Honorable Mention
106. Daytona USA - 6
107. Donkey Kong 64 - 5, 5 Honorable Mentions
108. Rayman - 5, 4 Honorable Mentions
108. Wario Land 3 - 5, 4 Honorable Mentions
110. Guardian Heroes - 5, 3 Honorable Mentions
111. Street Fighter III: Third Strike - 5, 2 Honorable Mentions
111. Breath of Fire III - 5, 2 Honorable Mentions
111. Tomb Raider 2 - 5, 2 Honorable Mentions
111. Freespace 2 - 5, 2 Honorable Mentions
111. Wario Land 2 - 5, 2 Honorable Mentions
111. Bushido Blade - 5, 2 Honorable Mentions
117. Mystical Ninja starring Goemon - 5, 1 Honorable Mention
118. Star Control II - 5
119. MechWarrior 2 - 5
119. X-Men vs. Street Fighter - 5
119. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards -5
119. Outcast - 5
123. Legend of Mana - 4, 5 Honorable Mentions
123. Street Fighter Alpha 3 - 4, 5 Honorable Mentions
125. Suikoden - 4, 4 Honorable Mentions
126. Battle Garegga - 4, 3 Honorable Mentions
127. Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars - 4, 3 Honorable Mentions
127. Front Mission 3 - 4, 3 Honorable Mentions
127. Alundra - 4, 3 Honorable Mentions
127. WCW vs. nWo Revenge - 4, 3 Honorable Mentions
127. Age of Empires - 4, 3 Honorable Mentions
132. DoDonPachi - 4, 2 Honorable Mentions
132. Mario Tennis 64 - 4, 2 Honorable Mentions
134. EverQuest - 4, 1 Honorable Mention
135. Darkstalkers 3: Vampire Savior - 4, 1 Honorable Mention
135. Brigadine - 4, 1 Honorable Mention
137. Sega Ages: Outrun - 4
137. Hogs of War - 4
137. Marathon: Infinity - 4
140. Fallout - 4
140. Sheep Raider - 4
140. Mega Man Legends 2 - 4
140. Dragon Quest Monsters - 4
144. Street Fighter Alpha 2 - 3, 4 Honorable Mentions
145. Fighters Megamix - 3, 3 Honorable Mentions
145. Pokemon Stadium - 3, 3 Honorable Mentions
145. Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - 3, 3 Honorable Mentions
145. Blast Corps - 3, 3 Honorable Mentions
145. Parappa the Rapper - 3, 3 Honorable Mentions
150. MediEvil - 3, 2 Honorable Mentions
150. Medal of Honor - 3, 2 Honorable Mentions
150. Legend of Oasis - 3, 2 Honorable Mentions
150. Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror - 3, 2 Honorable Mentions
154. Twisted Metal - 3, 1 Honorable Mention
154. Burning Rangers - 3, 1 Honorable Mention
154. Super Mario Bros. DX - 3, 1 Honorable Mention
154. System Shock - 3, 1 Honorable Mention
154. Harvest Moon 64 - 3, 1 Honorable Mention
154. Tomba - 3, 1 Honorable Mention
160. Sim Tower - 3
160. Micro Maniacs - 3
160. Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven - 3
160. Brave Fencer Musashi - 3
160. Phantasmagoria - 3
160. Ecstatica - 3
160. Gauntlet Legends - 3
160. X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter - 3
160. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - 3
160. Marathon 2 - 3
160. Doom - 3
160. Ridge Racer - 3
160. Team Fortress - 3
160. Dungeon Keeper 2 - 3
160. King's Field - 3
160. Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II - 3
160. Theme Hospital - 3
160. ISS Pro 98 - 3
178. Metal Gear: Ghost Babel - 2, 3 Honorable Mentions
178. The Longest Journey - 2, 3 Honorable Mentions
178. Duke Nukem 3D - 2, 3 Honorable Mentions
178. Star Wars Episode I Racer - 2, 3 Honorable Mentions
178. Wario Land - 2, 3 Honorable Mentions
178. Powerslave - 2, 3 Honorable Mentions
184. Vandal Hearts - 2, 2 Honorable Mentions
184. Worms Armageddon - 2, 2 Honorable Mentions
184. Metal Slug - 2, 2 Honorable Mentions
184. Full Throttle - 2, 2 Honorable Mentions
184. Warcraft II - 2, 2 Honorable Mentions
189. Mario Party - 2, 1 Honorable Mention
189. Mario Party 2 - 2, 1 Honorable Mention
189. Tekken 2 - 2, 1 Honorable Mention
189. Tekken Tag Tournament - 2, 1 Honorable Mention
189. Rival Schools: United by Fate - 2, 1 Honorable Mention
189. Grand Theft Auto - 2, 1 Honorable Mention
189. Digimon World 3 - 2, 1 Honorable Mention
189. Tenchu 2 - 2, 1 Honorable Mention
189. Spider-Man - 2, 1 Honorable Mention
189. WCW vs. nWo World Tour - 2, 1 Honorable Mention
189. Toonstruck - 2, 1 Honorable Mention
189. Shadow Man - 2, 1 Honorable Mention
189. Armed Police Batrider - 2, 1 Honorable Mention
189. Garou Mark of the Wolves - 2, 1 Honorable Mention
189. The Adventure of Little Ralph - 2, 1 Honorable Mention
189. Snowboard Kids - 2, 1 Honorable Mention
189. Um Jammer Lammy - 2, 1 Honorable Mention
206. Tench Stealth Assassins - 2
206. World Driver Championship - 2
206. Grand Theft Auto 2 - 2
206. Kula World - 2
206. The Neverhood - 2
206. Command and Conquer - 2
206. Worms World Party - 2
206. Riven: The Sequel to Myst - 2
206. Pokemon Trading Card Game 2 - 2
206. Mario Golf - 2
206. 1080 Snowboarding - 2
206. Ridge Racer Revolution - 2
206. San Francisco Rush 2049 - 2
206. Liero - 2
206. The Last Express - 2
206. Descent Freespace: The Great War - 2
206. Bust a Groove 2 - 2
206. Stars! - 2
206. Fear Effect - 2
206. Akuji the Heartless - 2
206. Mega Man Xtreme 2 - 2
206. The Misadventures of Tron Bonne - 2
206. Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha - 2
206. Night Warriors: Darkstalkers Revenge - 2
206. Myth: The Fallen Lords - 2
206. Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure - 2
206. Little Big Adventure - 2
206. Bad Mojo - 2
206. Total Annihilation - 2
206. Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 - 2
236. Dino Crisis 2 - 1, 4 Honorable Mentions
236. Mega Man X4 - 1, 4 Honorable Mentions
238. Threads of Fate - 1, 3 Honorable Mentions
239. Oddworld: Abe's Oddyssey - 1, 3 Honorable Mentions
239. Ridge Racer Type 4 - 1, 3 Honorable Mentions
239. Wild Arms - 1, 3 Honorable Mentions
242. Pilotwings 64 - 1, 2 Honorable Mentions
242. Pokemon Puzzle League - 1, 2 Honorable Mentions
242. Soul Blade - 1, 2 Honorable Mentions
242. Silent Bomber - 1, 2 Honorable Mentions
242. Dungeon Keeper - 1, 2 Honorable Mentions
247. LEGO Racers - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Heroes of Might and Magic II - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Twisted Metal III - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Crash Bash - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Metal Slug 2 - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Colony Wars: Vengeance - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Mario Party 3 - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Time Crisis II - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Driver - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Jade Cocoon - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Tomb Raider IV: The Last Revelation - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Mega Man 8 - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Marvel Super Heroes - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Tempest 2000 - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Jumping Flash! - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Doom 64 - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Elevator Action Returns - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. SaGa Frontier - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Skullmonkeys - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Einhander - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Dangun Feveron - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Castlevania Chronicles - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Strider 2 - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Crazy Taxi - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Beetle Adventure Racing - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Blade Runner - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Descent 2 - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
247. Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit - 1, 1 Honorable Mention
277. Falcon 4.0 - 1
277. Star Wars Trilogy Arcade- 1
277. Tales of Destiny- 1
277. Extreme G- 1
277. Psychic Force- 1
277. Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now- 1
277. intelligent Qube- 1
277. Micro Machines V3- 1
277. Earthworm Jim - 1
277. Imperialism- 1
277. Vanguard Bandits- 1
277. SubSpace- 1
277. Beneath a Steel Sky- 1
277. GEX 3: Deep Cover Gecko- 1
277. Army Men: Sarge's Heroes- 1
277. Deception 3- 1
277. Parasite Eve 2- 1
277. Jumping Flash! 2- 1
277. Legend of Dragoon- 1
277. SNK vs. Capcom Card Fighters Clash 2- 1
277. Samurai Showdown IV- 1
277. SWAT 3: Close Quarters Battle- 1
277. The Ocean Hunter- 1
277. Formula One- 1
277. Colony Wars- 1
277. MDK- 1
277. Hamtaro: Ham Hams Unite!- 1
277. Excitebike 64- 1
277. Mortal Kombat Trilogy- 1
277. Rollcage Stage 2- 1
277. MechCommander- 1
277. Hybrid Heaven- 1
277. Bishi Bashi Special- 1
277. GEX: Enter the Gecko- 1
277. ISS Pro Evolution- 1
277. Duke Nukem: Time to Kill- 1
277. Armored Core Master of Arena- 1
277. Tear Ring Saga- 1
277. Tactics Ogre- 1
277. Flying Corps- 1
277. Future Cop: LAPD- 1
277. Ultima Online: The Second Age- 1
277. Crusader: No Regrets- 1
277. FIFA 99- 1
277. NHL 99- 1
277. Urban Chaos- 1
277. Championship Manager 2- 1
277. Colin McRae Rally- 1
277. Colin McRae 2.0- 1
277. Marathon- 1
277. Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense- 1
277. Slam Tilt Pinball- 1
277. Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom- 1
277. Sengoku Blade- 1
277. Hexen- 1
277. Tetris: The Grand Master- 1
333. Pokemon Snap - 0, 5 Honorable Mentions
334. Panzer Dragoon - 0, 3 Honorable Mentions
334. Marvel vs. Capcom - 0, 3 Honorable Mentions
334. Yoshi Story - 0, 3 Honorable Mentions
337. Tomba 2 - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
337. Last Blade - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
337. Samurai Showdown II - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
337. Last Blade 2 - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
337. SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Milennium - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
337. Rage Racer - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
337. NFL Blitz - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
337. Saturn Bomberman - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
337. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
337. The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
337. Descent - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
337. DragonForce - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
337. WipEout - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
337. The Dig - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
337. Jet Force Gemini - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
337. Road Rash - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
337. I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
337. Pandemonium! - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
337. Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
337. Mole Mania - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
337. Goemon's Great Adventure - 0, 2 Honorable Mentions
358. Clockwork Knight 2 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Sim City 3000 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Samurai Kid - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Unreal - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Moon: Remix RPG Adventure - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Rugrats: Scavenger Hunt - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Albert Odyssey - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. X-COM: Terror from the Deep - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Fire Pro Wrestling S: 6 Men Scramble - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. RayForce - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Harvest Moon: Back to Nature - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Cannon Dancer - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Dungeon Master 2 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Vandal Hearts II - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Arc the Lad 2 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Tengai Makyou: The Fourth Apocalypse - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. iS: Internal Section - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Fighter's Destiny - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Langrisser IV - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Tales of Phantasia Remix - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. NOTAM of Wind - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Sim City 2000 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Neo Drift Out - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Rocket: Robot on Wheels - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Hexcite - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. SCARS - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. WWF Smackdown 2: Know Your Role - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. WWF Smackdown! - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. TOCA Touring Car Championshops - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Monster Rancher Battle Card - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Space Station Silicon Valley - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Bubble Memories - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Puzzle Bobble - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Puzzle Bobble 4 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Final Fantasy Origins - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. SaGa Frontier II - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Ore no Shikabane wo Koete Yuke - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Wild Arms 2 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Gunners Heaven - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. The King of Fighters 98 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Koudelka - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Dark Arms - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Metal Slug: First Mission - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Last Resort - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Pulstar - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Windjammers - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Starsiege Tribes - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Christmas NiGHTS - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Deep Fear - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Sonic Pocket Adventure - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Zork: Grand Inquisitor - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Azrael's Tear - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Scud Race - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Shining the Holy Ark - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. House of the Dead - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Enemy Zero - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Die Hard Arcade - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Athlete Kings - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Dragon's Lair - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Killer Instinct - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Soukyugurentai - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Jonah Lomu Rugby - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Discworld - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Discworld II - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Destruction Derby - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Wipeout 64 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Herc's Adventures - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. G-Police - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Earthworm Jim 2 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Discworld Noir - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. F1 World Grand Prix II - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Super EF2000 Tactcom - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Delta Force 2 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Armored Fist - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Bomberman 64 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Donkey Kong Country - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Tetrisphere - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Pokemon Puzzle Challenge - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Cruis'n USA - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. The Outfoxies - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Mr. Driller - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Libero Grande - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Mortal Kombat 4 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Team Buddies - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. NBA Hangtime - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Midtown Madness - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Master of Magic - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Harvester - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Yukon Trail - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Star Wars: Dark Forces - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Star Wars: Battle for Naboo - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Terra Nova - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Konami Antiques MSX Collection - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Dance Dance Revolution Konamix - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Dance Dance Revolution - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Heart of Darkness - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Tempest X3 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Loaded - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. V-Rally - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. V-Rally 2 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Lords of the Realm - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Kishin Douji Zenki FX: Vajra Fight - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Echo Night - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Croc - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Dragon Quest 1 + 2 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Dragon Quest 3 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Road Rash 3D - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Syndicate Wars - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Tomb Raider 3 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Space Squash - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Bionic Commando: Elite Forces - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Night Warriors - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Shantae - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Dark Messiah - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Persona 2: Innocent Sin - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Galerians - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Vigilante 8 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Little Big Adventure 2 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Nightmare Creatures - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Pitfall 3D - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. NetStorm: Islands at War - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Turok - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Sin - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Prop Cycle - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Silhouette Mirage - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Zanac X Zanac - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Gradius Gaiden - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. WWF WrestleMania 2000 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Monster Truck Madness 2 - 0, 1 Honorable Mention
358. Anvil of Dawn - 0, 1 Honorable Mention

Tenebrous

That's your four posts now, right? I'm really sorry if I posted this too soon, but damn...

EKWJs4S.png

PC
1. Half-Life
2. Planescape: Torment
3. Grim Fandango
4. Age of Empires II: Age of Kings
5. Unreal Tournament
6. System Shock 2
7. Fallout 2
8. Baldur's Gate
8. Quake III Arena
10. Counter-Strike

I mean, how many all-time greats do you need in five years? And that's forgetting Alpha Centauri, Homeworld, Diablo & Warcraft II. Throw in the C&C games and Starcraft, and yeah... Damn.

Oh, and Theme Hospital! Sod this supposed new golden age. I want THAT!

No bigger travesty than FF8 being on the list at all.

*High five* Many will disagree, but I think you're spot on. FF8 a better game than Planescape, Mario Kart 64, Silent Hill and Starcraft? Come on.

Pappasman

The greatest generation.

*High five* Many will disagree, but I think you're spot on. FF8 a better game than Planescape, Mario Kart 64, Silent Hill and Starcraft? Come on.
It's not that it's better. More people had FF8 on their list than those games.

Melchiah

Compliments to AniHawk for all the effort. Nice to see SH, RE2, FFVII+VIII on the top 20, eventhough I didn't vote for FFVII myself. It's sad, that Soul Reaver is not there. And RE2 being the music game of the generation gave me a smile.

This is the first time I've been quoted in the results as well. =)

I noticed these two on the horror top 10...
8. Ecstatica (PC)
9. Bad Mojo (PC)
...which I missed for not playing on PC. I take it I missed something good?

AniHawk

Wow, Panzer Dragoon Saga barely made the list, would've been so unfair if it was left out.

someone gave it a #1 vote on the last day that propelled it to the #25 spot. it was around the #40 mark overall for most of the voting (and nights actually eclipsed it yesterday until that final vote for panzer dragoon saga came through).

Fantastic list. Thanks for putting in the time and effort, AniHawk.

I'm so happy to see that PDS made it into the Top 25. Everyone needs to play this game -- it's generation-defining for me and I didn't even play it until last year!

357. Moon: Remix RPG Adventure - 0, 1 Honorable Mention

Let's hope this changes once the translation patch eventually comes out. ;)

Not trolling I swear. NiGHTS is one of the worst games I ever played. I am baffled.

I seriously think I just don't know how to play it properly.

AniHawk

Compliments to AniHawk for all the effort. Nice to see SH, RE2, FFVII+VIII on the top 20, eventhough I didn't vote for FFVII myself. It's sad, that Soul Reaver is not there. And RE2 being the music game of the generation gave me a smile.

man. you think you get them all too. i accidentally had parappa the rapper as the horror game of the generation at one point, and didn't think to check resident evil 2.

someone gave it a #1 vote on the last day that propelled it to the #25 spot. it was around the #40 mark overall for most of the voting (and nights actually eclipsed it yesterday until that final vote for panzer dragoon saga came through).

Thanks for doing the poll. I was expecting PSone games to dominate the top tbh, can't argue with the results though.

JCX

Results not too surprising. Not a single one of my top ten made Gaf's top 10.

Diddy Kong Racing robbed again. Still has better music, stage variety, and battle mode variety.

I get picking GSC over RBGY, but for everything GSC added, it lost a lot of the mystery fro m Gen 1. Missingno, rumors about Mew under the truck, etc.

AniHawk

Not trolling I swear. NiGHTS is one of the worst games I ever played. I am baffled.

I seriously think I just don't know how to play it properly.

honestly, i didn't know how to play it until two years after my first encounter with it. then it clicked and it was super awesome.

Zalman

Amazing list. GAF did good.

Thanks for doing this, Anihawk. I like these voting threads.

By the way, there's a Pokémon quote under GoldenEye.

UberTag

Today I learned that we now consider FFVIII to be a superior and more revolutionary game than Xenogears.

Ah well... at least it gave us Triple Triad.

Melchiah

Top Publishers
2. Konami - 430, 60 Honorable Mentions

How the mighty have fallen. =/

man. you think you get them all too. i accidentally had parappa the rapper as the horror game of the generation at one point, and didn't think to check resident evil 2.

Yeah, I've noticed it myself, that the more you work on a project, the more easily the smaller things can go unnoticed.

Ralemont

not me
Today I learned that we now consider FFVIII to be a superior and more revolutionary game than Xenogears.

Ah well... at least it gave us Triple Triad.

It's not "what's best" but rather, "of the games each person has played, what did they like best?"

miku

Only 5 out of 10 games that I voted made it to top 25 :/

Not much love for Parasite Eve/Megaman Legends/Ape Escape

Eolz

Top 3 without surprises, but some interesting positions after that (didn't expect Banjo at #10 for example).
Shame there hasn't been more votes, but still a great selection!

It will be really, really hard to make a Gen 4 top 10 :p

ohlawd

I feel like getting a bunch of quotes from the GotY 2014 thread since it'd apply here

that said, internet ^5s to the other person who voted Diddy Kong Racing as their #1, nabbing #25 in the passion award and the two other people who voted for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone at all

sörine

Banned
Let's hope this changes once the translation patch eventually comes out. ;)
I'm eager to play it. It's sort of interesting how much classic emulation has changed general opinions on Gens 3-4 but hasn't really impacted Gen 5 the same way. I wonder if that'll change as 32bit fan translating becomes more widespread and things like Saturn emulation get better?

These awards really do reflect the opinions at the time for the most part imo.

Lumine

I'm not sure how Civilization is a simulation game rather than a strategy game, but whatever. Also I'm pretty sure Tenchu 2 never released for PC.

Anyway, nice work. Lots of great games listed.

Fantastic list, thanks for the hard work AniHawk and everyone else involved.

While I did not put in a ballot, I completely agree with most of these rewards and lists. Personally, I think Diddy Kong Racing was the best racer on the 64.

Edit:
Hmm.. I gotta mention that I feel like Majora's Mask did better than I thought. I remember it being an incredibly decisive game back on the 64. Maybe the 3DS version's release had an effect on it's perception.

Melchiah

There is when FF8 is involved.

So, your tastes are more right than those 44 Gaffers who voted for it? Sounds pretty arrogant to me. Any game on the list could be discarded that way. The votes have been cast and these are the results, whether you like it or not.

Top Bottom