• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 coming to Japan (PS3&PS4) on February 25 2016, First Trailer Released

poncle

Still can't believe this is happening. There's also a bearded adult in the party, this is definitely not real.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Yup that's Star Ocean.

It's been long enough since 4, I think I can stomach a new one.

GamerJM

Banned
Boss★Moogle;178866029 said:
hopefully we won't have to wait too long in the West.

I'm looking at the history of the series' localization now, it's weird, SO2, 3, and the PSP remakes had huge gaps but SO4 came out at basically the same time. Granted I don't think that means much.

Still, this is definitely earlier than expected.

Soriku

The first real trailer was at E3.

But anyway the field and town look beautiful. Also 7 characters in battle.

Boss Mog

The first real trailer was at E3.

But anyway the field and town look beautiful. Also 7 characters in battle.

The video is titled "Trailer 01". So to SE this is the first real trailer that showcases some story elements as well as the voice actors. The footage shown before was just random walking in towns and battling.

Randy

This has to be the franchise with the most awful character designs. The world looks cool as hell though.

I'm always happy to see more JRPGs, but Star Ocean 4 was absolutely atrocious. This doesn't look very convincing so far, but hopefully it'll turn out decent. Need more JRPGs!

sbgwieser

Neo Member
I fear the platinum trophy again, the last one was ridiculous to get. I liked the story and the gameplay was really good IMO

eFKac

So a delay? Thought it was coming 2015?

Seems like the beginning of the year will be very strong for the PS4 again.

Schlomo

There are many good ways to make anime style face models, and there's this. Environments look good though.

Also, is the planet called Fake Lead? I smell a plot twist...

GunBR

I'm pretty sure that the characters will be annoying and the story probably will be crazy (in a bad way)

But if they put great private actions and make a battle system good as the others SO, nothing else matters

It was unveiled during this year E3 with no release date. Wasn't delayed at all.

I'm 85% sure that they said that the game would be 2015 in Japan and 2016 in West

Bishop89

Let s hope that little girl isn't Lymle 2.0... Please.

DwNVcEB.png

Macrotus

God those plastic ugly fucking character models :(

I don't like their face modelling either.
Since its from Square-Enix, why don't they let the people who model FF series do the work... I know they're busy with other stuff, but they could just model their faces...
They did a great job with World of Final Fantasy, so I'm sure they could do much better for SO5 too.

I felt the same with Xenoblade.

Still can't believe this is happening. There's also a bearded adult in the party, this is definitely not real.
Call me when THE main protagonist is the bearded adult, not just a token old man of the party. The bearded old badass is not a rare sight in jRPGs at all. Main male protagonist in a jrpg being above 30 years old is.

Rektash

Trailer felt pretty nappy time. Don't know if I want to play this.

Female MCs design makes me want to punch helpless little animals. So bad.

I'm torn on SO5 so far. The character designs and models are pretty off-putting, but I've really liked the environments I've seen so far. I've always had a soft spot for Star Ocean and Wild Arms because I've always loved space operas and westerns, respectively. But I've played every SO game from 2 on and 2 is the only one that I really enjoyed and felt like it was quality. I'll buy 5 if only to support the idea of the mid-level JRPG, which has been sorely missing for a while now, but I'm not holding my breath on it being a new standard for the series.

grumble

I really like the series from 1-3, but it seems like these guys have really lost their way. The character models are gaudy anime tropes with pretty limited western appeal, and they have the opportunity to really increase their sales if they had a little more vision. The 7 person battle party worries me as I wonder if it'll end up as a clunky uncoordinated mess with few tactical aspects.

I want to play a star ocean game badly but this just isn't what I'm looking for.

What is their obsession with little girls? Who thinks that's a good idea?

Japanese otaku. Console JRPGs not named Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest sadly stopped trying to reach bigger audiences eons ago and are content by just pandering to the otaku demographic which, for inexplicable reasons, love their young virginal little girls and sister complexes.

I hate it as much as you do but this won't change unless the japanese audience expands.

Dark_castle

Japanese otaku. Console JRPGs not named Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest sadly stopped trying to reach bigger audiences eons ago and are content by just pandering to the otaku demographic which, for inexplicable reasons, love their young virginal little girls and sister complexes.

I hate it as much as you do but this won't change unless the japanese audience expands.

I thought Project Setsuna had a rather tasteful art style and character design.

Scrawnton

Can't wait. Not gonna assume the game sucks because the faces are "ugly and plasticy." There's have never been a Star Ocean game I did not enjoy.

Christhor

Call me when THE main protagonist is the bearded adult, not just a token old man of the party. The bearded old badass is not a rare sight in jRPGs at all. Main male protagonist in a jrpg being above 30 years old is.

image.php

Anyway, this game looks fun. Seems like one of those mid sized JRPGs we don't get much of anymore, so I'm hyped.

Top Bottom