• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 coming to Japan (PS3&PS4) on February 25 2016, First Trailer Released

galvenize

She's back

93fd5da4b9.jpg

Parfait

"Deep Freeze". It's an Ice attack.

It's quite normal for games to let you use ice on water-based enemies...

I also don't really use symbology (magic) in SO games, so idk if there's elemental affinities going on.

Im hoping that this game breaks the trend of SO games having magic that's only good early-mid game and semi-useful to 'you healin now' late game, to 'your only spell is heal' post-game.

SO3 was so close, too, but even post game spells were more for stunlocking than for damage, and it wasn't reliable.

Xenus

Im hoping that this game breaks the trend of SO games having magic that's only good early-mid game and semi-useful to 'you healin now' late game, to 'your only spell is heal' post-game.

SO3 was so close, too, but even post game spells were more for stunlocking than for damage, and it wasn't reliable.

Well the major players say they want this game to harken back to SO3 so there's a chance. I do love that all characters are present in battle though. Someone finally thought that through and goes this makes no sense.

Faces don't look as bad in motion as they do in stills, meaning I can stand this more than I figured. Otherwise the animation's good, environment/character model work is great, and overall the art-style's pleasant, just ambitiously detailed enough. The battle system looks as in-depth as usual, not sure if it'll be underutilized within the game itself. Not getting my hopes up for the story based on the series as a whole, but that's not to say it won't be memorable by comparison.

Can't freaking wait, and this was even closer than I expected for the Japanese release. Hopefully not too long to wait for the US release.

Mentok

Banned
Wow, that's a much sooner release date than I was expecting! So a possible 2016 release to the west?? I was honestly thinking it would be more like 2017!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This game looks absolutely amazing. But i'm one who goes into a tradtionally animu game expecting animu.

We can only hope, although this is Square Enix we're talking about here. They haven't completely got the memo that dual audio is the ideal way to go in this day and age.

Star Ocean 4 was dual audio on PS3.

udivision

Interesting to see that some devs are still asking the question "How do we translate anime faces to 3D?" question in 2015, and coming up with bad answers.

fedexpeon

Banned
Interesting to see that some devs are still asking the question "How do we translate anime faces to 3D?" question in 2015, and coming up with bad answers.

I know.
There are so many devs that solved this problem ages ago...but SO5 though, I guess tri-ace forgot how to make anime-designed game since it has been a while for them.

Kenai

The faces look weird but i don't actually hate them.

Still not gonna day 1 this after the last game, but nothing has caused me to recoil in horror yet. (yes, even ^that^ A good sign!

From the Sony Asian Conference: Star Ocean 5 Chinese & Korean version are coming on Spring 2016.
It could be the English release date as well.

Whatever shading filter they got going on is out of this WORLD. Like holy shit, everything looks so crisp and atmospheric.

Yup. Love it!

Wow, that's a much sooner release date than I was expecting! So a possible 2016 release to the west?? I was honestly thinking it would be more like 2017!

I really hope so. February for Japan was so much earlier in the year than I was thinking lol so I think we've got a good shot, I hope :)

Jiraiza

I wonder if she glomps your head like a headcrab and has an entire library of books stored in her head?

Forget I even said that.

But real talk, looks fine to me. The more pressing issue is whether AI is going to be complete balls or not for your party members.

Environments look good, 7 party battles have the potential to be awesome. Character designs are ok. The thing that can make this a no-buy is the story and the characters. If the characters are as shitty as in SO4 I'm out.

The character portraits during battle look really nice. I hope we'll get these, and not the creepy, uncanny valley 3D ones we ended up with in part 4.

We should I think. The later PS3 port even for the US release brought back the anime portraits in addition to the CG ones so you could choose between both.

theofficefan99

It looks really good. Just please have a decent story. I just want a new Star Ocean that's on par with SO2.

I wouldn't really get my hopes up, honestly. After 2 the writing in the series really went to shit. Not that 1 and 2 had amazing, or even "good", writing, but it was at least pretty respectable and enjoyable. I can't even sit through a cutscene in SO4 for a minute without getting embarrassed and skipping.

Soriku

Environments look good, 7 party battles have the potential to be awesome. Character designs are ok. The thing that can make this a no-buy is the story and the characters. If the characters are as shitty as in SO4 I'm out.

I wouldn't really get my hopes up, honestly. After 2 the writing in the series really went to shit. Not that 1 and 2 had amazing, or even "good", writing, but it was at least pretty respectable and enjoyable. I can't even sit through a cutscene in SO4 for a minute without getting embarrassed and skipping.

They've already said the game would be much different from 4 (closer to SO1-3). I also remember reading that Gotanda wrote a lot for this game (SO4 outsourced parts of the story to other companies). I haven't played a Star Ocean with a great story yet, but I think it'll be fine.

http://gearnuke.com/star-ocean-5s-producer-clearly-not-happy-4-explains-went-wrong/

As you may know, Star Oceans 1, 2, and 3 were a kind of trilogy, if you like,

That was over. When they started making 4, they didn’t continue to take on the same attitude about development. The feel of the game was slightly different, and the way they produced the story was different as well. I was the producer for 4, and looking at it, there was something not really right. Something didn’t really click. I knew some things weren’t in the right places.

When we were making Star Ocean 4, when it comes to the visual aspect, it was part of Square Enix’s business strategy at that time. In those years, the company was really keen to expand their business in the west. There was a general idea that we should make sure our games had global appeal, not just Japanese appeal. That made things very complicated, really. We used outsourcing companies to establish the story, not just tri-Ace. Our mission back then was to expand the universe, rather than sticking to what we’d already created. We derailed a bit from the main plot, which was another issue we had. We learned a lesson from that experience.

Aeana

The writing for SO4 was outsourced, and it sounds like they're not doing that again for this game. We'll see.

theofficefan99

They've already said the game would be much different from 4 (closer to SO1-3). I also remember reading that Gotanda wrote a lot for this game (SO4 outsourced parts of the story to other companies). I haven't played a Star Ocean with a great story yet, but I think it'll be fine.

http://gearnuke.com/star-ocean-5s-producer-clearly-not-happy-4-explains-went-wrong/

That honestly sounds dumb. It's probably because I don't really like the character designs, but you could definitely keep the anime/realistic look without "pandering to the West."

RexNovis

Banned
That brief glimpse of the world has me pretty damn excited. I can't believe how soon this releases! Absolutely over the moon right now!

GunBR

I don't find the writing in 3 so bad
The problem is the twist of the story (that I actually don't find so bad like some people here)

Skulldead

My biggest fear is the game feel half complete like infinite undiscovery. That was a amazing game, but too short, too few dungeon, replay the same open area twice, it was clearly not balance at all, the crafting system was great, but soooo useless, the story was broken. It feel that the level design and everything was butch to reach the end. I rarely see this but that was a flagrant here.

Parfait

Star Ocean stories aren't very bad at all. I enjoyed 3's twist. Never found anything wrong with it.

My main gripe with the series since 3 are the cutscene animations. I'm hoping it wont be the same this time around, but oh god, is mocap super expensive or something?

Top Bottom