• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 coming to Japan (PS3&PS4) on February 25 2016, First Trailer Released

They teased too much , unless they playing with their fans . There Are 2 things i've seen and they're probably going to have a "TWIST"

A gate in a desert is always "that" in SO games.

Skulldead

Look amazing, i just don't want a unbalanced game like every other Star Ocean game, I'm sure they can do something nice with this big party battle.

Exentryk

Never played a Star Ocean game, but I can feel the story/character interactions/dialogue will be utter crap.

Gameplay looks promising though. Need to see more of it.

Japanese otaku. Console JRPGs not named Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest sadly stopped trying to reach bigger audiences eons ago and are content by just pandering to the otaku demographic which, for inexplicable reasons, love their young virginal little girls and sister complexes.

I hate it as much as you do but this won't change unless the japanese audience expands.

Are the okakus expanding in size?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Environments look fantastic, I'm slightly worried that the battle system may be too overly chaotic, especially since I loved 4's so much. Still really excited we are getting a new console SO game, it's one of my favorite franchises...

Cornbread78

Boss★Moogle;178866029 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa5Ua0BNv2U

SE released the first "real" trailer for the game and announced the release date in Japan of February 25th 2016. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long in the West.

Throw me out an airlock if old.

Holy Shit, that VA! That's Yuu from Charlotte, lol.

Game looks so pretty, I can't wait until it comes west. Hopefully, it's release date is well staggered from FFXV and Persona V so I can devote plenty of time to all three games.

Asd202

Holy Shit, that VA! That's Yuu from Charlotte, lol.

Game looks so pretty, I can't wait until it comes west. Hopefully, it's release date is well staggered from FFXV and Persona V so I can devote plenty of time to all three games.

Seems like a perfect summer title to me.

ChanMan

Oddly enough I am looking forward to this game even though I never played a Star Ocean game, I hope it is good.

Cornbread78

Seems like a perfect summer title to me.

Yeah, sounds about right, I guess.

So starting in Oct. it's Tales of Zestiria, then December it's Persona 5, then Star Ocean 5 in July/Aug. And maybe an Oct/Nov. release for FFXV?

I'm missign a few other jrpgs out in between those as well.

My goodness, the next year is going to be awesome!

Oddly enough I am looking forward to this game even though I never played a Star Ocean game, I hope it is good.

They have always had a few standout aspects:
Great graphics, lots of cutscenes (many good ones, especially the ones to boost the relationships) and awesome battle system. It's a pleasure to play the game. Now the story lines, well, they are somethign else and very unique...

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Now the story lines, well, they are somethign else and very unique...

My friend, would you consider marketing the Star Ocean games? I agree with everything you've written, especially this part. And I think it's quite the polite way of expressing the quality of their overarching narratives.

:p

What is it about anything with an anime art style that gives people a free pass to come in and shit up the thread with how much they wish it looked like something else. It'd be like if I went into the latest call of duty thread and whined about how the game would be so much better if I could play as well groomed teenager. Fuck right off into space please.

Never played a Star Ocean game, but I can feel the story/character interactions/dialogue will be utter crap.

Gameplay looks promising though. Need to see more of it.

Sounds about right. 3 and 4 have pretty bleh stories and character dialogue, but their gameplay's fantastic. I enjoyed exploration in those games too.

I'll probably get this later when it's discounted.

Dunno what it is about this series and creepy faces. Yeesh. Still, looking forward to trying it out. And it doesn't look as bad as Star Ocean 4's characters. They looked so much like soulless dolls that I couldn't bring myself to get into the game.

Sigh I guess since X is almost out this is going to be the new game where everyone bitches about the faces in every thread. I like the art style the pseudo plastic look looks really nice and different from a lot of other games. Not sure why so many of you are clamoring for a homogeneity of artstyles.

cerulily

I have heard a lot of people say this and I actually own a copy of the game that a friend gave to me years ago but never played more than 20 minutes of it.

I guess you could say that technology limitations keep it from jumping the shark like the rest of the series tends to do. It feels more like a really solid fantasy rpg with very light sci-fi elements

I don't like their face modelling either.
Since its from Square-Enix, why don't they let the people who model FF series do the work... I know they're busy with other stuff, but they could just model their faces...
They did a great job with World of Final Fantasy, so I'm sure they could do much better for SO5 too.

I felt the same with Xenoblade.

I like how anime it is. I'm actually a little disapointed at the heavy into "real people with anime hair" thing that FF team has been doing. Also, World of Final Fantasy feels more KH than FF.

The old Playstation RPG fan in me wants to like this, but I can't get over the character models. Xenoblade X models look better by comparison.

At least I still have DQXI and FFXV to look forward to.

iblowwzj5lSLap.gif
At first I was like, it looks iight. Then this part of the trailer showed up.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Looks so... JRPG-ish

And that's the good thing. :D

Need more to compensate for the lack of JRPGs in the PS3 during 2006-2010

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
And that's the good thing. :D

Need more to compensate for the lack of JRPGs in the PS3 during 2006-2010

Amen.

PS4 is a return-to-grace for me based on what's on the horizon. I'm not overly bitter about last-gen -- it forced me to expand my horizons and as a result I not only fell in love with BioWare's output but Naughty Dog's as well -- but my childhood, my adolescence, it's all steeped in solid, quality JRPGs.

If even a few of the following games deliver, I'll feel really good.

-FFXV
-DQXI
-SO5
-Setsuna
-FFVII-R
-New SaGa
-FFA remake

And whatever else I'm forgetting.

RPGam3r

Looks amazing. It has been a long time since I've been this excited for this many JRPG coming soon-ish. A very long time!

sublimit

Banned
Amen.

PS4 is a return-to-grace for me based on what's on the horizon. I'm not overly bitter about last-gen -- it forced me to expand my horizons and as a result I not only fell in love with BioWare's output but Naughty Dog's as well -- but my childhood, my adolescence, it's all steeped in solid, quality JRPGs.

If even a few of the following games deliver, I'll feel really good.

-FFXV
-DQXI
-SO5
-Setsuna
-FFVII-R
-New SaGa
-FFA remake

And whatever else I'm forgetting.

Xenoblade Chronicles X

I know you said PS4 but still.:p

Ralemont

not me
Very excited. Please let the battle system and crafting be good, and I'll be more than satisfied. One or two characters who aren't shit would just be gravy. Star Ocean 3's cast when you take Nel and Albel instead of Peppita and Roger was so fucking good, not a single annoying character besides maybe Sophie.

wow those environments look great - pumped for this game

But im scared of that little girl....Please not another lymle. I can't handle another traumatic experience like that

Yup, guess SO5 is yet another game I won't be visiting other threads... There's like, less than a handful of posts on the actual game...

I, for one, am thankful they kept this artstyle instead of going with the abomination that was their tech demo.

Either way, the game got delayed for Japan, I wonder if that affected localization too...

Top Bottom