• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV has a VR demo only for TGS on PS4

At the Sony TGS conference, this was shown listing some of the Playstation VR titles:

l96jOQk.png

Definitely interested to see how that works - a while back I tried using one of those VR injector programs with my Oculus Rift DK1 to play FFXIV in VR, it was neat but the scaling was all off, the framerate was bad and I felt like I was 3 feet tall. Official support should fix all that. For those that don't know, the game supports both first and third person cameras, so in VR you could either see the view as if you were your character in the world, or see it as a sort of tabletop game with action figures fighting it out.

Vashetti

Banned
Hmm, wonder how that's going to work with the framerate.

FFXIV runs unlocked so it goes up to 60, but as far as I know it doesn't stay there very often.

Ogawa-san

First person melee in dungeons and raids would be... unpleasant. Several minutes of being up a boss' ass, now as close as ever.

I'm gonna love it to roam around the world though. Third person with floating UI elements would be nice too.

DryvBy

I'm certain the visuals will be reduced during this. But even with lowered graphics, this will be fantastic as VR's beauty is in making the world feel real.

Macrotus

I wonder how "Kitchen" is going to be.
Because SCEJ censored the shit out of Until Dawn that people are calling it the worst game of the year. The rating on Amazon JP is 1.5/5 because of it.

chrono01

All of those people who created scantily-clad Miqo'te//Au Ra won't even be able to look at themselves now. On the other hand, they can look at OTHER scantily-clad Miqo'te/Au Ra, this time in first person!

So...let's call it a win?

Rion

The game is at 60 FPS most of the time.
I am curious about the implementation. Simply being in first person view is not gonna work.

Rion

Nope

Unless there's been some major optimisation since then.

That video is 1+ year old, and about 5 minutes long. Game drops frame depending on what you do in game, and based on many hours with this games, I say that it hold 60 FPS most of that time.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
Sounds like they'd have to reduce visuals quite a bit if even reducing the resolution to 720p didn't make the game 60fps solid (unless the performance has vastly improved since DF did their analysis).

I doubt they would change resolution as a lower one would be horrible in VR. More likely they would scale back things like lighting, particle effects, shadows etc.

Hazanko

Banned
That video is 1+ year old, and about 5 minutes long. Game drops frame depending on what you do in game, and based on many hours with this games, I say that it hold 60 FPS most of that time.

Nope, was playing it since PS4 release and it doesn't keep 60 in open world. Seems fine in dungeons and raids though.

Baleoce

How does this account for frame rate dips in resource intense areas such as towns? Also, perhaps I'm not getting the bigger picture, but if you're in first person view for VR, how are you able to be fully aware of your surroundings regarding fight mechanics? I read the OP's last sentence but I'm not sure I get the tabletop aspect. is that just referring to the standard 3rd person view, but with the ability to turn your head and view all angles?

I read the OP's last sentence but I'm not sure I get the tabletop aspect. is that just referring to the standard 3rd person view, but with the ability to turn your head and view all angles?
Yeah - third person view in VR tends to make games look like the characters are action figures in front of you, especially if you keep the camera zoomed out.

Third person doesn't defeat the purpose of VR, a lot of VR games in development are in third-person. You are still in the world looking around, you just aren't inhabiting a character in it. Like I said, it's kinda like you are controlling action figures.

Castef

Banned
Actually, the one for FFXIV is just a VR Demo assembled for TGS.

From Eurogamer:
UPDATE 2PM BST: Square Enix has told Eurogamer that Final Fantasy 14's involvement with PlayStation VR, as seen on the slide below, amounts to nothing more than a demo created for the Tokyo Game Show.

"This is a demo that's been created for TGS," the company told us, "we don't have any plans for an official release."

Actually, the one for FFXIV is just a VR Demo assembled for TGS.

From Eurogamer:
UPDATE 2PM BST: Square Enix has told Eurogamer that Final Fantasy 14's involvement with PlayStation VR, as seen on the slide below, amounts to nothing more than a demo created for the Tokyo Game Show.

"This is a demo that's been created for TGS," the company told us, "we don't have any plans for an official release."

Oh well that kills that hype.

I am interested in seeing more Playstation VR but have yet to see anything that will get me to buy it, would love to see Wipeout VR or (more likely) No Man's Sky VR mode.

Arkeband

Banned
Really disappointed that they're wasting development time with this when Heavensward has stagnated and the userbase is growing restless over their extremely lazy content schedule.

Starting to regret buying it to be honest.

royox

Titan in VR? Are they crazy? That motherfucker is hard enought with 3rd person view and people still eats the god damn Landslide! How are they going to kill him in 1st person?

Really disappointed that they're wasting development time with this when Heavensward has stagnated and the userbase is growing restless over their extremely lazy content schedule.

Starting to regret buying it to be honest.
What? Square releases major content patches for FFXIV about 4 times per year and have from the beginning, they are on schedule to probably release 3.1 at the end of this month. 3.1 is going to add a new chapter for the main story, add a new sidequest line, beast-tribe quests for the Vanu Vanu, two new dungeons, a new 24 man raid, an airship voyage system, a minion battling system, new crafting recipes, more flying mounts, a new upgradeable weapon quest line, etc.

Titan in VR? Are they crazy? That motherfucker is hard enought with 3rd person view and people still eats the god damn Landslide! How are they going to kill him in 1st person?

...so play it in third person?

Top Bottom