• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV has a VR demo only for TGS on PS4

Arkeband

Banned
What? Square releases major content patches for FFXIV about 4 times per year and have from the beginning, they are on schedule to probably release 3.1 at the end of this month. 3.1 is going to add a new chapter for the main story, add a new sidequest line, beast-tribe quests for the Vanu Vanu, two new dungeons, a new 24 man raid, an airship voyage system, a minion battling system, new crafting recipes, more flying mounts, a new upgradeable weapon quest line, etc.

WOW NEW CRAFTING RECIPES? I CAN'T WAIT.

No, but seriously:

• 2 Dungeons per patch is one less than we used to get, but somehow has been accepted by the delusional as a positive change or something.
  • Savage Alexander was a big failure that even the hardcore players hate.
  • We'll faceroll through Void Ark on patch day for gear on the same level as Eso. 24 man content has always been an afterthought.
  • Beast Tribe quests are insufferable weeks/months-long repetitive grinds.
  • Airship voyage system has very little detail, sound like Hunts. Hunts are awful.
  • Minion battling system you know everyone will drop immediately just like failed Chocobo racing and the rest of the Gold Saucer minigames. Fluff.
  • More flying mounts = pure stupid fluff

There's a good post on Reddit about how Heavensward just extends content instead of adding actual novel things for players to do, and positive changes to broken systems promised to be improved after ARR. (https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comm..._difference_between_a_boring_game_and/cv1gibs)

Game is getting boring. You can't sell it on "you're getting 2 more dungeons you'll run for 3+ months" as some kind of positive when we used to get 3 dungeons every 3 months. (And let's be fair, even 3 dungeons is pretty pathetic by MMO patch standards)

"Be glad, 3.1 brings new hairstyles!" so kawaii desu neeeeee and to think only 3-4 months after 3.1, I'll finally get new, overtuned endgame content to bang my head against!

6-8 months of 4 bosses. Keep repeating that to yourself and ask if that's acceptable for an MMO's end-game.

royox

6-8 months of 4 bosses. Keep repeating that to yourself and ask if that's acceptable for an MMO's end-game.

Last time I checked WoW had 1 year of literally 0 content 3 times in a row (Pre pandaria, prw WoD, Pre Legion) and it's still an "acceptable MMO Endgame" for some reason.

Isn't the new 24man raid coming for 3.1? The Kefka-like Tower?

Arkeband

Banned
Last time I checked WoW had 1 year of literally 0 content 3 times in a row (Pre pandaria, prw WoD, Pre Legion) and it's still an "acceptable MMO Endgame" for some reason.

Isn't the new 24man raid coming for 3.1? The Kefka-like Tower?

Its not even comparable to other games raids, it hands out gear you probably already have better of and its cleared with detailed rundowns of the fights through duty finder hours after release. It's just another chore to grind each week for the upgrade component to supplement the real raid, which again, is 4 bosses we're going to be throwing ourselves at for another ~5 months.

You're cherry picking your WoW data as if that year of no content wasn't preceded by tiers of raids, a single one of which generally has more raid content than an entire content cycle of FFXIV.

Ferr986

There's a good post on Reddit about how Heavensward just extends content instead of adding actual novel things for players to do, and positive changes to broken systems promised to be improved after ARR. (https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comm..._difference_between_a_boring_game_and/cv1gibs)

Game is getting boring. You can't sell it on "you're getting 2 more dungeons you'll run for 3+ months" as some kind of positive when we used to get 3 dungeons every 3 months. (And let's be fair, even 3 dungeons is pretty pathetic by MMO patch standards)

"Be glad, 3.1 brings new hairstyles!" so kawaii desu neeeeee and to think only 3-4 months after 3.1, I'll finally get new, overtuned endgame content to bang my head against!

TL;DR: Heavensward's problem is that it's an extension, including extending broken systems, instead of an expansion.

I agree 100% with that quote on the Reddit post. HV story was good, but as an MMO expansion was kinda disapointed. Its exactly 1:1 on ARR launch (with even less endgame content) and 0 innovations. That's why it's so boring right now.

I hope Airship stuff is worth it, and the Ark raid atleast have some interesting things going on.

About the VR, it would be nice to go around Eorzea with it, but as a DPS that stands 90% of the time in the mob's butt... nope lol

Garlador

WOW NEW CRAFTING RECIPES? I CAN'T WAIT.

No, but seriously:

• 2 Dungeons per patch is one less than we used to get, but somehow has been accepted by the delusional as a positive change or something.
  • Savage Alexander was a big failure that even the hardcore players hate.
  • We'll faceroll through Void Ark on patch day for gear on the same level as Eso. 24 man content has always been an afterthought.
  • Beast Tribe quests are insufferable weeks/months-long repetitive grinds.
  • Airship voyage system has very little detail, sound like Hunts. Hunts are awful.
  • Minion battling system you know everyone will drop immediately just like failed Chocobo racing and the rest of the Gold Saucer minigames. Fluff.
  • More flying mounts = pure stupid fluff

It's BETTER than most MMO patch standards. What MMOs are YOU playing right now that have added in as much worthwhile content as FF14 consistently for over two years?

And all that fluff? I like it. So do a great majority of people. Everything from triple triad to Hildibrand quests to cosmetic gear to hairstyles to housing to chocobo colors to new minions to an infinite amount of other things... it's all part of MMOs, because what YOU don't like is what someone ELSE subscribes for, and what YOU value is what someone else ignores.

MMOs cast the widest net. Some play for the story, some for the dungeons, some for the social elements, some for the mini-games, some for the world, some for card games, some for a crazy man in his underwear bodyslamming his son into the earth.

Cmagus

I'm really interested in this I just hope Playstation VR is priced right. The world is beautiful and I would be curious to see some of the new Heavensward areas with this especially on flying mounts.

Imagine looking at a marlboro up close in VR , yikes!

Framerate can drop a bit though, think of S class hunts. Those can have like 5 or lower fps. A literal slideshow xS

Allard

Not that I believe this game is remotely playable in VR (And I am not talking about Frame rate issues) but it might put some perspective on them adding Move Control capabilities in a year ago, of course the setup for those controls weren't designed for any proper VR but we do know like to experiment and utilize the tech they are given. I'd love if they gave VR support to PS4 for FFXIV (and not just in demo form) just to walk around the world and see it in a different light, but make no mistake this game would be horrible to play in VR, 1st person already is nauseating to watch because of how close you get to mobs on melee jobs, I have to move the camera all the way out just to see the AOE moves.

Ploid 3.0

When I was about to stop playing FFXI I said I couldn't wait until I retire and am able to play MMO's in VR 24/7. Now for the surrogate bodies for my old body.

Top Bottom